ADVERTISEMENT

My 50+ Year History following USC Mens Basketball

The ACC wasn't quite yanked out from under him. He was an initial supporter of secession (though I doubt he would have initiated it on his own), thinking that the program was on solid enough ground. Within a couple of years, he realized that such was not the case. I wonder if it would have made any difference if we had continued to play all of our old ACC rivals with some degree of regularity after we left. Please note that UVA's visit to Columbia on December 19 will mark the first time men's hoops will play the Cavs in a regular season game (non-tournament) in Columbia since we left the ACC!

Had we stayed in the ACC and did not have the internal strife between McGuire and Dietzel (and later Carlen), my guess is that Frank I would have turned the reigns over to Don Walsh. in the mid-to-late 70s. Walsh saw what was happening, and left.

Sadly, it's beginning to look to me like our recent run to the final four was a fluke.
It was a Dietzel initiative. Without him, it never happens. And to answer the question your posed about playing them after we left softening the blow, as was done in football, the answer is "no".

Reactions: atl-cock
It was a Dietzel initiative. Without him, it never happens.
Absolutely correct.

Upon further reflection, if McGuire didn't want to be a part of the ACC, why would he have accepted the job at USC after resigning under pressure from UnCarolina?

I would still liked to have played, say Wake Forest, instead of Hofstra during those years in the wilderness.

My understanding is that most of our former ACC rivals continued to schedule us on the gridiron for the $$$. Wish the athletic department had insisted that hoops games be part of the deal.

Reactions: king ward
My first 2 years at USC were the 97 and 98 tourney teams. Those guys were so much fun to watch. We played more pick up ball those 2 years. Had the pleasure of playing in the Coliseum a few times.

Reactions: stevestrat2
I don't mind FM going ballistic after a terrible play. But I don't get him doing it all the time even on good plays. Going bonkers loses it's effect pretty quick. Have you ever seen him smile during a game, or pat a kid on the back?

Agree with this 100%. Interestingly enough, the author of "Roundball Culture", Dan Klores, is the producer of ESPN's "Basketball: A Love Story"
- the 20 hour documentary which has drawn rave reviews.

Klores is a USC grad.

The Walker book is a treasure chest of background info for those interested in USC's ACC days and ultimately, it's parting with the conference in 1971. Meticulously researched and well-written.

I was at the Capitol Newsstand on Main the day Klores' "Roundball Culture" was released in 1980 . 1st pressing hardback & I've got Klores' signature in it. He was there that day. Excellent source of info.

On the last play of that fateful 1971 championship game, there are many who believe that 6'3" Kevin Joyce stepped on the foot of 6'10" Lee Dedmon for the jump ball that Owens grabbed to score the winning layup.

UNC fans I knew at the time refused to give Joyce credit claiming Dedmon back tipped it.

I was born in 1985, so my first basketball memories were the Fogler teams of 1997 and 1998. I was in tears when we lost to Coppin State. Can't think of a more heartbreaking loss other than the push off in 2000 vs. Clemson.

I was born in 1985, so my first basketball memories were the Fogler teams of 1997 and 1998. I was in tears when we lost to Coppin State. Can't think of a more heartbreaking loss other than the push off in 2000 vs. Clemson.
That loss the next year in the first round of the Dance was almost as disappointing and embarrassing. I forget to whom we lost - Richmond?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Yes it was Richmond. I was so disappointed from the previous year that I was somewhat numb to that loss. What a wasted opportunity with such a great team. I was the biggest Larry Davis fan in the world.

The ACC wasn't quite yanked out from under him. He was an initial supporter of secession (though I doubt he would have initiated it on his own), thinking that the program was on solid enough ground. Within a couple of years, he realized that such was not the case. I wonder if it would have made any difference if we had continued to play all of our old ACC rivals with some degree of regularity after we left. Please note that UVA's visit to Columbia on December 19 will mark the first time men's hoops will play the Cavs in a regular season game (non-tournament) in Columbia since we left the ACC!

Had we stayed in the ACC and did not have the internal strife between McGuire and Dietzel (and later Carlen), my guess is that Frank I would have turned the reigns over to Don Walsh. in the mid-to-late 70s. Walsh saw what was happening, and left.

Sadly, it's beginning to look to me like our recent run to the final four was a fluke.

It's never a fluke when you beat teams like we beat in Duke, Baylor, and Florida. That team just put it all together at the right time. I agree with what you said about McGuire and getting out of the ACC. He really started it when he couldn't get that kid, Grazzo (I think) into school because of his SAT score.

I was at the Capitol Newsstand on Main the day Klores' "Roundball Culture" was released in 1980 . 1st pressing hardback & I've got Klores' signature in it. He was there that day. Excellent source of info.
I just purchased one for my father. Great idea! That is an expensive book, but I'm sure he will enjoy it. His years at USC were 68-72 +/-

It's never a fluke when you beat teams like we beat in Duke, Baylor, and Florida. That team just put it all together at the right time. I agree with what you said about McGuire and getting out of the ACC. He really started it when he couldn't get that kid, Grazzo (I think) into school because of his SAT score.

You know very little if anything about those times or the story behind the enrollment of freshman phenom Mike Grosso

No. Just a team that was tough. At least the leaders were tough. Thornwell was/is as tough as any player in the country. The Canadian was tough. The two Europeans were tough in their own way. Others were tough. Toughness made up for other deficiencies. And they were a joy to watch.

Yes, things are that bad. Had we shown normal legitimacy after going to a Final Four, threads like this would be fewer and farther between.
And that's what I meant about fluke. Yes, the team that year ended up with great chemistry and toughness. Sadly, it wasn't sustained, hence the fluke.

Our latter ACC years showed sustained, growing success. Leaving the ACC ended up being like drilling a hole in the boat.

You know very little if anything about those times or the story behind the enrollment of freshman phenom Mike Grosso

Grosso did enroll, but his SAT scores weren't high enough to qualify for a basketball scholarship.

Read all about it (and more) in Roundball Culture.

Grosso did enroll, but his SAT scores weren't high enough to qualify for a basketball scholarship.

And if I remember correctly, the ACC changed their SAT requirements a year or so after we departed to comply with other conferences. We lost a lot of great football players with that ACC requirement also.

And if I remember correctly, the ACC changed their SAT requirements a year or so after we departed to comply with other conferences. We lost a lot of great football players with that ACC requirement also.

The ACC changed their requirements due to the adjudication of a court case filed by a couple of Clemron soccer players, I think. Taters weren't happy about the ACC's standards either, but they were more patient than us.

As Klores mentions in Roundball Culture, Dietzel's narrative was false. We were recruiting athletes under the same standards as our conference brethren, and still couldn't get the job done on the gridiron. Now if we were in e SEC at the time recruiting under ACC standards, that's something else.

Reactions: rogue cock
The ACC changed their requirements due to the adjudication of a court case filed by a couple of Clemron soccer players, I think. Taters weren't happy about the ACC's standards either, but they were more patient than us.

As Klores mentions in Roundball Culture, Dietzel's narrative was false. We were recruiting athletes under the same standards as our conference brethren, and still couldn't get the job done on the gridiron. Now if we were in e SEC at the time recruiting under ACC standards, that's something else.
Knew they changed, was not sure why. Thanks.

While the latter is true, I remember us losing a lot of in-state recruits due to that rule. It wasn't so much that we were recruiting with the same standards as our ACC brethren, it was SC players couldn't qualify under those standards which hurt us. There was a lot of SC players, especially from the coastal areas, that we couldn't get in. Clemson managed to overcome it, but never really looked at why or where they were getting their players.

Reactions: Proudcock
And that's what I meant about fluke. Yes, the team that year ended up with great chemistry and toughness. Sadly, it wasn't sustained, hence the fluke.

Our latter ACC years showed sustained, growing success. Leaving the ACC ended up being like drilling a hole in the boat.
I'll agree to "anomaly".;)

Reactions: atl-cock
Dietzel was extremely upset when Issac Jackson and Sumter's Freddie Solomom could not qualify at USC under ACC rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Knew they changed, was not sure why. Thanks.

While the latter is true, I remember us losing a lot of in-state recruits due to that rule. It wasn't so much that we were recruiting with the same standards as our ACC brethren, it was SC players couldn't qualify under those standards which hurt us. There was a lot of SC players, especially from the coastal areas, that we couldn't get in. Clemson managed to overcome it, but never really looked at why or where they were getting their players.

Why couldn't coastal players get in? Bad schools?

It was a Dietzel initiative. Without him, it never happens. And to answer the question your posed about playing them after we left softening the blow, as was done in football, the answer is "no".

It started with Frank....excerpt::

The Atlantic Coast Conference was created in 1953, and the eight original members included the University of South Carolina. According to The State newspaper, the university withdrew from the ACC on June 30, 1971, becoming the only school to leave the ACC. The decision to withdraw was mostly a football decision made by the athletics director, but the university's feud over the admission of star basketball player Mike Grosso and coach Frank McGuire's constant bickering with league administrators contributed to that decision.

The Atlantic Coast Conference was created in 1953, and the eight original members included the University of South Carolina. According to The State newspaper, the university withdrew from the ACC on June 30, 1971, becoming the only school to leave the ACC. The decision to withdraw was mostly a football decision made by the athletics director, but the university's feud over the admission of star basketball player Mike Grosso and coach Frank McGuire's constant bickering with league administrators contributed to that decision.
"Contributed" - Frank got p!$$ed off; but Dietzel was the driver. He knew he could never compete with teams bringing in 90 a year while he was bringing in 40, and they were bringing in players with 750 board scores while ours had to have 850. That was the catalyst right there.

"Contributed" - Frank got p!$$ed off; but Dietzel was the driver. He knew he could never compete with teams bringing in 90 a year while he was bringing in 40, and they were bringing in players with 750 board scores while ours had to have 850. That was the catalyst right there.

Once again, the Grosso deal with the acc requirements started the whole thing. Dietzel agreed and pushed it through.

As a student I entered USC in '66. Needless to say the McGuire years were priceless.
If you can get a copy of "Roundball Culture", well it takes you back to those times of
passion, talent and ACC hatred as nothing else will.

From 1970 going forward I purchased season tickets every year until 2006. That year Renaldo Balkman announced he would not return for his senior year and I decided to not renew my second row tickets.

In the last 12 years I have been to maybe 4 mens games but certainly won't be back until Martin is gone. We should have fired him years ago for his language and treatment of players. He can't recruit SEC caliber players.

Sorry if you disagree. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
do SEC caliber players talk nice?:oops:

800, not 850, but the principle's the same.

Maryland, of course, left the ACC since that was written.

Left to his own devices, I doubt McGuire would pushed for leaving the ACC. He feuded with the league while at Chapel Hill, and resigned under pressure.

While coaching the Holes, Frank complained about the ACC tournament. He felt that if you finished first in the regular season, that should be enough to go dancing. To his credit, he complained about this years before the debacle in the 1970 finals.

With that background, why would he accept a coaching position at another ACC school if he wanted out?

"Contributed" - Frank got p!$$ed off; but Dietzel was the driver. He knew he could never compete with teams bringing in 90 a year while he was bringing in 40, and they were bringing in players with 750 board scores while ours had to have 800. That was the catalyst right there.

But we were competing with 40/800 (fellow ACC schools), not 90/750 (our SEC neighbors to the west). Nice spin by Pepsodent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT