ADVERTISEMENT

"My favorite Steve Spurrier story"

COORS6PKCANSUwyBhHy49DTd.jpg

For the guy who said Spurrier had more sense than this, please stay away from reality and quit being politically correct lol

The 80s were a much different time than now. I graduated from high school in 1994. My world was even much, much different. In high school, we could still just walk out to our car and drive off campus and come back for the next period, not that it was allowed but could be done pretty easily. Now, schools have fencing, clear backpacks, metal detectors, id cards, etc. I find that story believable.

The 80s were a much different time than now. I graduated in 1994. My world was even much, much different. In high school, we could still just walk out to our car and drive off campus and come back for the next period, not that it was allowed but could be done pretty easily. Now, schools have fencing, clear backpacks, metal detectors, id cards, etc. I find that story believable.

The drinking age changed in NC in 1983. This story would have occurred only 4 or 5 years later. So it's totally believable that SOS didn't think twice about offering a 19 year old a beer. Different era, for sure.

My favorite story with Spurrier was the first or 2nd year he was coach. I worked on key rd. at The State Printing.

So on my lunch break I run over to Subway on Bluff rd to get me a delicious Italian on white. So I walk in, slow day only one guy in front of me ordering his food

As I'm watching and waiting the customer in front of me tells the sandwich maker more pickles. "How's that"? More pickles says customer. "Is that enough pickles"? No put a few more on there.

As I watch I'm thinking this guy should've just ordered a pickle sandwich, never seen so many on a sandwich.

When the customer turns around (I couldn't wait to see this guys face that loves pickles so much) it was Steve MF Spurrier!!!

I laughed and teased him a little about the pickles but he was really nice and a cool guy.

I've met Holtz under similar circumstances and he's a dick and thinks you want something from him and has a plane to catch or something.

My bad @Rod Dangerfield

The story around Summerville was of the head coach’s manager at the time of Holtz
leaving and SOS coming. (The kids brother went to Clemson and did the same job for Bowden)

They said Holtz never would learn the kids name. So Spurrier gets there and has the kid come to his office, glad hands him, and knew his name from then on.

Then he reaches for his wallet and tells the kid, pointing to a corner in his office, “now there’s an important thing you need to handle as my student manager. That’s to make sure there’s a case of coors in my fridge at all times. Here’s you some cash. When you run out of it just let me know. I’ll get you more. We don’t need to run out of beer in the fridge.”

My favorite story with Spurrier was the first or 2nd year he was coach. I worked on key rd. at The State Printing.

So on my lunch break I run over to Subway on Bluff rd to get me a delicious Italian on white. So I walk in, slow day only one guy in front of me ordering his food

As I'm watching and waiting the customer in front of me tells the sandwich maker more pickles. "How's that"? More pickles says customer. "Is that enough pickles"? No put a few more on there.

As I watch I'm thinking this guy should've just ordered a pickle sandwich, never seen so many on a sandwich.

When the customer turns around (I couldn't wait to see this guys face that loves pickles so much) it was Steve MF Spurrier!!!

I laughed and teased him a little about the pickles but he was really nice and a cool guy.

I've met Holtz under similar circumstances and he's a dick and thinks you want something from him and has a plane to catch or something.
Most unbelievable part of this story is a Subway sandwich being delicious.

My favorite is when he was looking to get back into college coaching and the UF Athletic director wanted him to send him a resume !?? Steve told him " Look in your Trophy Case ". Can't beat that comeback . The Spurrier press conference after our Vandy win on the road in 2015 was possibly the single funniest of all time . I watch it once a month . Love it

When he was misquoted Telling Clemson, “We ain’t LSU or Bama but we sure ain’t Clemson” (Believe Todd Ellis said it) and Dabo thought it was Spurrier taking a swing and responded...Spurriers response was just “Smart people don’t believe everything they’re told”.

Plus getting handcuffed and “detained” at practice to show that JD didn’t do anything wrong when he was detained.

My favorite is when he was looking to get back into college coaching and the UF Athletic director wanted him to send him a resume !?? Steve told him " Look in your Trophy Case ". Can't beat that comeback . The Spurrier press conference after our Vandy win on the road in 2015 was possibly the single funniest of all time . I watch it once a month . Love it

hey as we were taught in the old drinkin' 101 @ Carolina "knock the edge off.".....sadly 2day the new kids are taught some 101 course that teaches them to walk around campus w/out mommy...........or how after the doctor cut the umbilical cord the university has 2 cut the apron strings......

sorry I degress.........my fav .SOS, 2 one of the twins n a team meetin'.........."You are a degenerate!" :)

Shane Matthews throws another pick. When he heads to the sideline Spurrier says, "Don't worry about it, Shane, that one's not on you, it's on me." Matthews looks confused. Spurrier says, "That one's on me because I never should have recruited you."

Shane Matthews throws another pick. When he heads to the sideline Spurrier says, "Don't worry about it, Shane, that one's not on you, it's on me." Matthews looks confused. Spurrier says, "That one's on me because I never should have recruited you."

The version Todd Ellis tells was that he said "it's on me because I put you in," and that it was Danny Wuerffel, not Matthews. But who knows.

Most unbelievable part of this story is a Subway sandwich being delicious.
I met Coach Holtz on a Golf course once - albeit accidentally. Me and three others came up on a t-box and had to wait on another group in front of us out in the middle of the fairway.

This older gentleman playing by himself (but mixed with 3 others that he obviously didn't know that well) came pulling up solo in a golf cart.

I casually mentioned to the gentleman that we'd happily let him step in front of us, but the man never even acknowledged that I'd spoken directly to him. As I respectfully stepped away, the other 3 came pulling up - 2 in one cart, the other man by himself. I introduced myself and informed them that we'd offered the man sitting in his cart over to the side to t-off just ahead of us but wasn't sure if he'd accepted, that's when I was informed by the other 3 gentlemen that they'd just met him at the #1 t-box and other than telling them his name and how nice it was to meet then, that is all he'd said at all to anyone!!!

Just thought I'd share that one. Kinda boring I know, but hey, it be's what it be's!!!

And JFTR, all four of them gratefully accepted my/our offer and T'd off in front of us!!

End of story, YAWN!!

The 80s were a much different time than now. I graduated from high school in 1994. My world was even much, much different. In high school, we could still just walk out to our car and drive off campus and come back for the next period, not that it was allowed but could be done pretty easily. Now, schools have fencing, clear backpacks, metal detectors, id cards, etc. I find that story believable.

Talk about "back then"!! Hell, when I was in high school, each September when Dove season popped up, on the following Monday mornings I'd cruise back into the high school parking lot with my Remington 12 gauge 870 shotgun still hung-up in the rack in the back window of my old Ford pickup. Nobody, teachers nor students, ever mentioned a thing to me at all. It was simply a non-issue back then!!

So help me, and I'll even place my hand on a Bible and factually swear to you that that is 100% true!!

I'm an old man now, No Doubt!!!

When he was misquoted Telling Clemson, “We ain’t LSU or Bama but we sure ain’t Clemson” (Believe Todd Ellis said it) and Dabo thought it was Spurrier taking a swing and responded...Spurriers response was just “Smart people don’t believe everything they’re told”.

Plus getting handcuffed and “detained” at practice to show that JD didn’t do anything wrong when he was detained.
Love both of these. I can't stop laughing at the "Spurrier Arrest". Classic.

On the Dabo rant I thought he said it like this.
"Smart people don't believe everything they read on the internet. I guess Dabo believed it."

Love both of these. I can't stop laughing at the "Spurrier Arrest". Classic.

On the Dabo rant I thought he said it like this.
"Smart people don't believe everything they read on the internet. I guess Dabo believed it."
Yeah I think it was something like that

Reactions: fire ant
Talk about "back then"!! Hell, when I was in high school, each September when Dove season popped up, on the following Monday mornings I'd cruise back into the high school parking lot with my Remington 12 gauge 870 shotgun still hung-up in the rack in the back window of my old Ford pickup. Nobody, teachers nor students, ever mentioned a thing to me at all. It was simply a non-issue back then!!

So help me, and I'll even place my hand on a Bible and factually swear to you that that is 100% true!!

I'm an old man now, No Doubt!!!
Told the truth! When I was in HS, I knew a shop teacher, Mr. Reames, who owned a large family farm with plenty of dovefields. I brought in a Model 12 that I'd gotten for Christmas. Imagine walking into a school with a shotgun now!!

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
Told the truth! When I was in HS, I knew a shop teacher, Mr. Reames, who owned a large family farm with plenty of dovefields. I brought in a Model 12 that I'd gotten for Christmas. Imagine walking into a school with a shotgun now!!

We'd be in prison if we even speculated about actually doing such these days!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT