ADVERTISEMENT

Never forget the QUITTERS who abandoned this team

Opt outs are a reality of the new age where the players seemingly have all the leverage, and make the rules. ND was hit by it also. Am sure they would have loved having their best player in at TE and their starting QB. Something needs to be done, but that is just the world we live in right now

And you'll obviously never teach your kids a damn thing about loyalty and finishing what they started. Congratulations!

I teach my kids to be smart. Risking life changing money when there is nothing to gain from a mid level bowl isn't smart.

Back then you didn’t risk millions with an injury in a meaningless bowl game.
Any game that awards a Championship trophy to the winner is not a meaningless game. But of course I understand the mentality of those who see meaningless in many areas in team life. I washed many of them out of the Air Force Officer Training School (OTS) when I was an instructor there.

Some of those portal guys wanted to play in the bowl game but I'm glad Beamer said no.
If you're IN the PORTAL then you are NOT ON the TEAM! Simple as that! One way those guys could have improved their "value" to other teams would have been to PLAY and BEAT ND!! I'm like the others who said if it was Conn or other lesser programs then the prestige of a win might not be that great, but COME ON!!! We had a legitimate chance to beat ND in the same year that they thrashed the Tiggers!! I'm not sure who would USUALLY make a tackle or two in the MIDDLE of the line, but evidently they were MISSING yesterday!

When you are eliminated from the playoffs the rest of your games are meaningless, so why not opt out mid season?
I said the same thing. Why bother playing vs Clemson? Its a “meaningless” game just as much as the bowl, both count as 1 win. Why play vs any non conference opponents? All count as 1 loss or win, nothing more.

Any game that awards a Championship trophy to the winner is not a meaningless game. But of course I understand the mentality of those who see meaningless in many areas in team life. I washed many of them out of the Air Force Officer Training School (OTS) when I was an instructor there.
You said it perfectly. This mentality some people and players have reaches far beyond football. And athletes are influential, so celebrating the quitters decisions only makes it more acceptable to society as a whole. So when all of us see young employees who wont commit to anything, quit before a job is finished, or see everything they dont enjoy as meaningless, we shouldnt be surprised how that became part of our culture

Last I checked a bowl game wasn’t a regular season game. There is a difference
How so? Both count as 1 win or loss. Both dont count in conference standings.

Explain to me, exactly whats the difference between the games vs SC State, Clemson, Notre Dame yesterday or next years opener vs UNC??? Non are SEC games. All count the same in W/L. So why should pro prospects play in them?

Easy to say when you don’t have skin in the game and are sitting behind a keyboard.
A 9 win season with a win over Tennessee, Clemson and ND would have meant a lot to the current and future players for SC. The ND win could have catapulted SC into something special in the eyes of recruits and improve our reputation in the college football world. This game was an opportunity for our future. So, I disagree with you; this was one of the most important games in our program’s history!

A 9 win season with a win over Tennessee, Clemson and ND would have meant a lot to the current and future players for SC. The ND win could have catapulted SC into something special in the eyes of recruits and improve our reputation in the college football world. This game was an opportunity for our future. So, I disagree with you; this was one of the most important games in our program’s history!
While I concede the ranking would be nicer, I don’t think this game has as much emphasis as you are making it.

We had a good season with some great victories and a lot of national attention. Heck I even saw on Scott Van Pelt the highlights labeling it “greatest gator bowl ever” (not sure don’t pretend to have seen them all but it was a great game).

I’m not sure that same recruit dips or we fail to land one because we lost by one score to Notre Dame with 17 players out.

I honestly don't have a problem with guys opting out if they feel like it will help them professionally, but let me ask this. If we were playing in the CFP today, would those guys have still opted out? If not, why? They could just as easily get hurt in a CFP game.

I honestly don't have a problem with guys opting out if they feel like it will help them professionally, but let me ask this. If we were playing in the CFP today, would those guys have still opted out? If not, why? They could just as easily get hurt in a CFP game.
Easy it’s for all the marbles. They are competitors. If they sit that out, that would change my opinion.

As someone older, I played in a "meaningless" all star game. Got hurt in the old Blue-Gray Game and I still got drafted but much later than I would have had I not gotten hurt. Would do it all over again!

It is generational. Same attitude is why Chipotle and Starbucks cant keep staffing and some places have to close bc employees quit constantly and are so selfish.

These life lessons sports are supposed to teach go far beyond the field. Seeing people celebrating quitters is just sad.
This is the God Honest Truth. Our Society has become so sad.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Easy it’s for all the marbles. They are competitors. If they sit that out, that would change my opinion.
Are they competitors? Competitors want to compete. They chose not to. Takes some of the energy out of the team for selfish motive.

Yeah but I wonder how many now will play the bowl and then transfer. Not sure that’s any better. You might could argue they’d give full effort until they leave, but they may give less than 100% knowing they plan on leaving.

I’m glad Beamer told those guys no…..but I wonder if making that policy public will just set the stage for gaming the system a little.
This is a tough issue. I think the deadline to get in the portal and be eligible for next season was before the bowl games. Some players may want to finish out the season, but they have to declare their transfer if that is what they want to do. Players have the right to make their own personal decisions. Fans have the right to be upset, but what does it change? I just don’t see the point in getting so worked up over decisions that we have no control in what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
This is a tough issue. I think the deadline to get in the portal and be eligible for next season was before the bowl games. Some players may want to finish out the season, but they have to declare their transfer if that is what they want to do. Players have the right to make their own personal decisions. Fans have the right to be upset, but what does it change? I just don’t see the point in getting so worked up over decisions that we have no control in what happens.
I completely agree with you here. Some people lose sight of the fact that the transfer portal was a big part of the reason we were even improved enough to be in the Gator Bowl.

Some people only want to get mad and say screw them when a kid transfers out and celebrate when a top player transfers in. I see the great irony in that. I also remember quite a few posters flinging dirt on Deebo Samuel for sitting out the Belk Bowl.

I would like to see the NCAA change the dates in an attempt to keep more players around for bowls. But guys are already sitting out for the draft. I’m not sure it matters much at this point.

Never forget the pathetic QUITTERS who abandoned this team. They left this roster short handed and it showed. I’ll never remember them for anything they did here other than QUITTING on us before playing fu**ing NOTRE DAME. Not UConn or Iowa or someone like that. The most high profile team name in college football history. A win that would carry so much weight.

Thanks quitters. Hope your 40 time is 0.01 faster and that 7th round pick was worth flushing your reputation. Hope it was worth it to portal to some other team where you probably wont play as much since you gotta learn a whole new system.

2022 Gamecocks were a 9 win roster with an 8 win heart
Some of these young men spent 4 to 5 yrs busting their tails and some of you wish ill on them because they opted out of 1 game?? You guys are pathetic.

Never forget the pathetic QUITTERS who abandoned this team. They left this roster short handed and it showed. I’ll never remember them for anything they did here other than QUITTING on us before playing fu**ing NOTRE DAME. Not UConn or Iowa or someone like that. The most high profile team name in college football history. A win that would carry so much weight.

Thanks quitters. Hope your 40 time is 0.01 faster and that 7th round pick was worth flushing your reputation. Hope it was worth it to portal to some other team where you probably wont play as much since you gotta learn a whole new system.

2022 Gamecocks were a 9 win roster with an 8 win heart
Gotta admit I like this ^^^ post!
A bunch of 40 plus yr old men calling 21 and 22 yr olds names because they opted out of 1 game after busting their tails for 4 and 5 years for USC you guys are sad.

Reactions: section907
The irony of fans calling players quitter and saying they will never be looked at as gamecocks again , Etc. etc.

BUTT - the same #notadime and other folks- including a good bit on here - QUIT supporting the team long ago. - they say they have BETTER things to do then support the team in person or paying dues. These same posters on here preaching about Quitters. - WOW. ( btw - it’s your right. You do you I’m sure many still consider yourselves fans that no longer support the current coaches or Admin.) It’s still quitting. #fansquittoo

Oh- here’s one for you. Jamie Robinson announced he is opting to go to the NFL and in doing so he thank all the Gamecock fans and coaches. - I’m sure he means it. - hope the kid gets paid at the next level.

GO Gamecocks -

Some of these young men spent 4 to 5 yrs busting their tails and some of you wish ill on them because they opted out of 1 game?? You guys are pathetic.
Nope, no one is wishing ill on anyone. Im just saying I think that quitting on your team before its final game is in fact being a quitter and its shameful. I’ll always and only really remember them as that. But I hope at their next destination they thrive, I dont wish anyone ill

Reactions: Neanderthal
Any football player who considers himself a true competitor would NEVER choose the couch over taking the field vs certain teams. Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, there are only a few brand names that are that big and Notre Dame is one of them. Skipping a game vs UConn or Iowa State is one thing. This was different it was a program changing opportunity

Someone above said they have to enter the portal before the bowl to play in 2023. False. The Wake Forest QB is going to Notre Dame for 2023 (probably a massive pay day for him)…..BUT he stuck w his commitment to Wake and beat an SEC team in a “meaningless bowl” to send his teammates out as winners. Wake was the only P5 who offered him, they developed him into a pro prospect. Yes he decided to leave for a pay day at Notre Dame, and the experience of playing for the Irish vs Wake Forest is more than tempting, but he repaid Wake with loyalty until the final whistle of Wakes 2022 season.

Back to what Saban said. Bama had no opt outs because, as the QB said, it speaks for their program.

Last I checked a bowl game wasn’t a regular season game. There is a difference
The only difference is in name only... if you're out of making the playoffs, what's the reason for playing? The games are no more important than a meaningless bowl game.

Back to what Saban said. Bama had no opt outs because, as the QB said, it speaks for their program.
Evidently there are several schools who have the kind of atmosphere where their top player want to stay and play. And not all of them are the top programs. What we need to find out is how they develop that kind of atmosphere and why dont we have it. I would have thought someone like Beamer could make that happen but it certainly isnt looking that way.

Im old now but I played college ball. I never ever would have quit on my team. Me and my teammates played til the final snap of the final game, just like these kids tonight who did play and played their freaking hearts out. Which makes me so angry, these kids fought so so hard and should have won, a few more bodies and they dont gas out, they get the win.

But unfortunately some of their teammates are quitters. 2022 USC was a 9 win roster with an 8 win heart
Same here Bucs90! Our generation will never understand how teammates could walk away. Unfortunately, it's the call of the younger generation..."Me First", and it goes against what we all learned from athletics...Never leave your teammates. Fight together until the last snap!

Reactions: Neanderthal
If I was a college athlete (even if I was a top level talent), I would stay in school as long as I could especially with this NIL business. Live for free on campus, chasing the hottest women Ill ever be around in my life, and practicing for and playing a fun game with all my buddies year round. Sounds awesome to me.

I guess these guys are in a hurry to go be miserable like the rest of us and work the rest of their lives so they can pay taxes.

If I was a college athlete (even if I was a top level talent), I would stay in school as long as I could especially with this NIL business. Live for free on campus, chasing the hottest women Ill ever be around in my life, and practicing for and playing a fun game with all my buddies year round. Sounds awesome to me.

I guess these guys are in a hurry to go be miserable like the rest of us and work the rest of their lives so they can pay taxes.
This^^^^^

The only difference is in name only... if you're out of making the playoffs, what's the reason for playing? The games are no more important than a meaningless bowl game.
So after the first few games, the teams that know they are not going to be in the playoffs should just pack it in and quit. No use going out there. Future opponents are just out of luck. Same got fans. We could narrow this thing down to just a few games a week by late October.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT