ADVERTISEMENT

Never forget the QUITTERS who abandoned this team

Any game that awards a Championship trophy to the winner is not a meaningless game. But of course I understand the mentality of those who see meaningless in many areas in team life. I washed many of them out of the Air Force Officer Training School (OTS) when I was an instructor there.

Were you training them to go hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? 🙃

I understand what you're saying. However, there's a big divide between getting paid to represent your country and some Saban psyops campaign to get student-athletes to place their careers on the line while he cashes checks from his penthouse.

Football is an injury-prone sport and sometimes all it takes is an ankle twist to completely remodel your entire career. I'd be pretty deflated if I had a great regular season and then blew out a knee participating in the Belk Bowl.

If I was a college athlete (even if I was a top level talent), I would stay in school as long as I could especially with this NIL business. Live for free on campus, chasing the hottest women Ill ever be around in my life, and practicing for and playing a fun game with all my buddies year round. Sounds awesome to me.

I guess these guys are in a hurry to go be miserable like the rest of us and work the rest of their lives so they can pay taxes.
You can have all of those things X5 in the NfL. Different girl on every city if you so chose. Not nearly as governed as college ball either as far as parting and such.

Same here Bucs90! Our generation will never understand how teammates could walk away. Unfortunately, it's the call of the younger generation..."Me First", and it goes against what we all learned from athletics...Never leave your teammates. Fight together until the last snap!

I know man. I not only don’t understand it, I dont even know how to try to start to understand it.

So after the first few games, the teams that know they are not going to be in the playoffs should just pack it in and quit. No use going out there. Future opponents are just out of luck. Same got fans. We could narrow this thing down to just a few games a week by late October.

Yep!!!! Its wild that some people have the mentality that college footballs sole primary purpose has become to put NFL $$$ into the pockets of a small 1% of players good enough to get it. Like NOTHING else actually matters, all the rest must come a distant second to putting pro money into a few guys hands

Apparently some fans think a regular season game and a exhibition game are the same thing.
Exhibition games dont count. Maybe Im wrong, but did the Notre Dame game count on USCs final record? We went 8-5, not 8-4, right???

The Notre Dame game counted equally as much as the Clemson, Georgia, SC State and Florida games right?

You can have all of those things X5 in the NfL. Different girl on every city if you so chose. Not nearly as governed as college ball either as far as parting and such.
I dunno man. I think Id rather have my pick of 10,000+ 18-22 year old co-eds that change over just about every year than just about anything else these bigger cities could offer.

I dunno man. I think Id rather have my pick of 10,000+ 18-22 year old co-eds that change over just about every year than just about anything else these bigger cities could offer.
Theres nothing like being a college athlete on a college campus, in a small or mid size college city. The pro athlete experience Id imagine is way different. Massive major cities, brutal media watching every move, hard to go anywhere without fans mobbing them, 1000x bigger egos everywhere. Can’t remember which one, but i think it was a Clemson or Alabama player in the NFL who was telling ESPN how much better daily life was at their college, from facilities to having someone else in charge of everything for you like meals, schedules, etc etc.

Theres nothing like being a college athlete on a college campus, in a small or mid size college city. The pro athlete experience Id imagine is way different. Massive major cities, brutal media watching every move, hard to go anywhere without fans mobbing them, 1000x bigger egos everywhere. Can’t remember which one, but i think it was a Clemson or Alabama player in the NFL who was telling ESPN how much better daily life was at their college, from facilities to having someone else in charge of everything for you like meals, schedules, etc etc.
Nfl players party hard. They do just fine. I would rather have the freedom. No doubt college is more structured.

Were you training them to go hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? 🙃

I understand what you're saying. However, there's a big divide between getting paid to represent your country and some Saban psyops campaign to get student-athletes to place their careers on the line while he cashes checks from his penthouse.

Football is an injury-prone sport and sometimes all it takes is an ankle twist to completely remodel your entire career. I'd be pretty deflated if I had a great regular season and then blew out a knee participating in the Belk Bowl.
.....and it usually happens to 1-2 kids each year before draftable guys stopped playing in them. Wonder if anyone would donate to the Jaylon Smith "Income Loss" campaign. He was supposed to be a Top 5 Pick until tore his knee up in the Fiesta Bowl.
Depends on the person. I'll trade going to a random Sociology class for the additional financial security of being a high level NFL performer. The girls will come regardless, You are going to have to pay taxes regardless.

Reactions: turncock
Nfl players party hard. They do just fine. I would rather have the freedom. No doubt college is more structured.
College players have more freedom than NFL ones. What if a UCLA player is making lots of $$$ as a star RB, then on spring break he meets a gorgeous 21 yr old model on South Beach. He can just immediately transfer to Miami, FAU or FIU and be with her and play ball. He can change teams any season he wants and go wherever he wants. Tired of playing for LSU and the humidity? Bam, transfer anywhere you want.

NFL players play where they’re told. They cant switch teams unless the boss allows it. They can even franchise tag em to keep em forever.

College players have more freedom than NFL ones. What if a UCLA player is making lots of $$$ as a star RB, then on spring break he meets a gorgeous 21 yr old model on South Beach. He can just immediately transfer to Miami, FAU or FIU and be with her and play ball. He can change teams any season he wants and go wherever he wants. Tired of playing for LSU and the humidity? Bam, transfer anywhere you want.

NFL players play where they’re told. They cant switch teams unless the boss allows it. They can even franchise tag em to keep em forever.
In that regard yes but that wasn’t exactly the freedom I was talking about.

In that regard yes but that wasn’t exactly the freedom I was talking about.
What freedom does the Ohio State QB not have, who gets probably $1,500,000 year, but has no bills at all and everything he needs provided to him……..that the Cincy Bengals QB does???

Joe Burrow as a Bengal has less freedom than the Ohio St QB

Joe Burrow probably has no complaints. He will make over $9 million per year average his first four years in the NFL, and either after this season or next, will agree to a deal making over $40 million per year.

Reactions: bleedorange23
What freedom does the Ohio State QB not have, who gets probably $1,500,000 year, but has no bills at all and everything he needs provided to him……..that the Cincy Bengals QB does???

Joe Burrow as a Bengal has less freedom than the Ohio St QB
How do you know that he doesn’t have bills. Most people tend to create bills when you have money whether you be a 20 year old College QB or a 28 Year Old QB in the NFL. It’s just easy for you to see the advantages of College because that is the scene you prefer. From the looks of things, the high level athlete is showing that he can’t wait to leave college. As shown by your frustration over the departures, it is clear these kids don’t see it like you do.

Exhibition games dont count. Maybe Im wrong, but did the Notre Dame game count on USCs final record? We went 8-5, not 8-4, right???

The Notre Dame game counted equally as much as the Clemson, Georgia, SC State and Florida games right?
No.. It wasn't a regular season game. We play a 12 game schedule. Bowl games are meaningless exhibition games for teams that couldn't make the playoffs, so the school can make more money.

No.. It wasn't a regular season game. We play a 12 game schedule. Bowl games are meaningless exhibition games for teams that couldn't make the playoffs, so the school can make more money.

I've heard bowls called exhibition games, but several years ago they amended the rules for stats accumulated (by players) in bowls to count. The wins and losses count on coaches records. The final rankings are impacted by the bowl result.

As much as it sucks to be penalized for a game where a lot of guys didn't play, I think it's hard to argue the bowl doesn't count.

How do you know that he doesn’t have bills. Most people tend to create bills when you have money whether you be a 20 year old College QB or a 28 Year Old QB in the NFL. It’s just easy for you to see the advantages of College because that is the scene you prefer. From the looks of things, the high level athlete is showing that he can’t wait to leave college. As shown by your frustration over the departures, it is clear these kids don’t see it like you do.

Well they have no rent. No power/water/cable bill. NIL gives them cars. They get outstanding food 24/7 for free. Free clothes. Free healthcare. Tuition, tutoring, personal strength and nutrition coaches. They have no bills

Kids cry after winning or losing these games. Coaches recruit off of them. They count as a win or loss. Families are joyful seeing their sons play in them.

How can you call them meaningless when they literally mean so much to the players coaches and families?

And again, exhibitions don’t count. When bowl wins and losses stop being counted then you can call it an exhibition

Well they have no rent. No power/water/cable bill. NIL gives them cars. They get outstanding food 24/7 for free. Free clothes. Free healthcare. Tuition, tutoring, personal strength and nutrition coaches. They have no bills
You only enjoy going to school if that’s your thing. Again, for more than some, school is a means to getting to the NFL. Players that leave in year 3 and don’t graduate, you think they enjoyed going to class.

I have a college degree. You couldn’t pay me 10 million to go get a masters and I mean that. I hate class and I hate studying. In the NFL, I don’t have class and I have a million dollar house and several cars. Not just one and an apartment.

You only enjoy going to school if that’s your thing. Again, for more than some, school is a means to getting to the NFL. Players that leave in year 3 and don’t graduate, you think they enjoyed going to class.

I have a college degree. You couldn’t pay me 10 million to go get a masters and I mean that. I hate class and I hate studying. In the NFL, I don’t have class and I have a million dollar house and several cars. Not just one and an apartment.

More than some, well, its an extremely small % who ever make it. We’ve seen plenty of Gamecocks who bailed on their senior year and never played a snap in an NFL game. Kelcy Quarels, Vic Hampton to name two. These players are getting terrible advice from too many people

Reactions: cockofdawn
Kids cry after winning or losing these games. Coaches recruit off of them. They count as a win or loss. Families are joyful seeing their sons play in them.

How can you call them meaningless when they literally mean so much to the players coaches and families?

And again, exhibitions don’t count. When bowl wins and losses stop being counted then you can call it an exhibition
Because we have playoffs now. Bowl games now are nothing but participation rewards for not making the Playoffs. And with the early sign period Bowl games are meaningless to recruiting.

Because we have playoffs now. Bowl games now are nothing but participation rewards for not making the Playoffs. And with the early sign period Bowl games are meaningless to recruiting.

They were nothing but "participation rewards" for teams that didn't make the BCS title game before that. And before that they were nothing but "participation rewards" for the 99% of teams that weren't in the one, maybe two bowls that decided the national title.

Seeing the guts and emotions displayed by the USC and ND players tonight, I wouldnt call it meaningless at all. Would you? Did it mean something to the seniors for those 2 teams?

1. They can get insurance policies
2. Those career ending injuries in bowls are actually rare, theres only like 3-4 guys out of thousands of NFL prospects that its really happened to in a significant way, and even those guys still got their shot
3. Those guys became prospects in part from someone else blocking for em, throwing to em, holding coverage for em to get a coverage sack, pressuring a QB into a bad throw for their INT……and now they abandon them vs Notre Dame. Cant give the seniors a shot to go out as winners huh?
I agree completely. The “they might get hurt” crowd completely ignore insurance policies - which could be bought with NIL money.

It’s also incredible how some kids opt out on their “brothers” but will still participate in senior bowl games.

As a former college athlete I could not imagine not playing every game until there were no more.

You have an opinion, but to suggest bowl games are participation awards is hyperbole at its finest.

There are a ton of benefits to bowl games with respect to recruiting, extra practices, early enrollees, momentum to carry into next year, many things. But some of it may be lost on someone who didn’t play in collegiate athletics.

There is so much to unpack in what you said that it would take far more time than I’m willing to spend on the matter.

Joe Burrow probably has no complaints. He will make over $9 million per year average his first four years in the NFL, and either after this season or next, will agree to a deal making over $40 million per year.
Go tell people around the world that a person making $9 million a year is complaining because he lives in this free country, but actually doesn’t have freedom because he might be prevented from changing football teams next year.

Boohoo.

So just to clarify. A team goes 6-6. Doesnt make the playoff but make a bowl, vs another 6-6 team. And lets say those two teams have about 10-15 seniors each, and none are NFL prospects.

Those 20-30 kids will never play football again. Their life will remember this as the last time they stepped on the field. And this game determines if they go out, forever, with a winning record vs losing record, whether their last day in helmet and pads was a win or loss. Its the last time their families will ever get to watch their son play.

You’re saying THAT game is meaningless?

I agree completely. The “they might get hurt” crowd completely ignore insurance policies - which could be bought with NIL money.

It’s also incredible how some kids opt out on their “brothers” but will still participate in senior bowl games.

As a former college athlete I could not imagine not playing every game until there were no more.

EXACTLY right man. Im a former also. I played FCS back in the 11 game season days. The final game of my senior year we were 5-5 and played another FCS team that was also 5-5. Neither of us obviously were going to the FCS playoffs but that game meant we seniors (or theirs) went out as winners or losers, forever.

We lost that “meaningless” game and it still sucks 20 years later. I’ll never forget the tears in the locker room among us seniors, OR watching the other teams guys celebrating afterwards. 5-6 is 1000x worse than 6-5 forever would have been.

EXACTLY right man. Im a former also. I played FCS back in the 11 game season days. The final game of my senior year we were 5-5 and played another FCS team that was also 5-5. Neither of us obviously were going to the FCS playoffs but that game meant we seniors (or theirs) went out as winners or losers, forever.

We lost that “meaningless” game and it still sucks 20 years later. I’ll never forget the tears in the locker room among us seniors, OR watching the other teams guys celebrating afterwards. 5-6 is 1000x worse than 6-5 forever would have been.
Right. I was a division 1 all American in the 400 meter hurdles. In national championship meets at the end of the season as a senior you realize that this is it. No more after this right here.

So finishing 4th at the nationals is good, but that means that 3 were ahead of you! Now, making all American on the USTFF, NCAA and Coaches Association took some sting out of it, but in EVERY case someone loses and someone wins to end the year. It’s hard to understand how some just can’t seem to understand how this all works.

Yes, some didn’t compete on a collegiate level, but maybe they could try to understand from the ones who did.

Before long kids are going to opt out of the last game of the season if they’re having a tough year or maybe the last couple games.

And I still don’t hear folks addressing a player’s ability to but insurance.

BTW, sorry you didn’t come out a winner in that last game, but at least you got to compete at a level and have some experiences in large stadiums that a tiny percent of our population will ever see!

Right. I was a division 1 all American in the 400 meter hurdles. In national championship meets at the end of the season as a senior you realize that this is it. No more after this right here.

So finishing 4th at the nationals is good, but that means that 3 were ahead of you! Now, making all American on the USTFF, NCAA and Coaches Association took some sting out of it, but in EVERY case someone loses and someone wins to end the year. It’s hard to understand how some just can’t seem to understand how this all works.

Yes, some didn’t compete on a collegiate level, but maybe they could try to understand from the ones who did.

Before long kids are going to opt out of the last game of the season if they’re having a tough year or maybe the last couple games.

And I still don’t hear folks addressing a player’s ability to but insurance.

BTW, sorry you didn’t come out a winner in that last game, but at least you got to compete at a level and have some experiences in large stadiums that a tiny percent of our population will ever see!

You said it perfectly!! It means so so so much to the seniors.

Reactions: bleedorange23
So just to clarify. A team goes 6-6. Doesnt make the playoff but make a bowl, vs another 6-6 team. And lets say those two teams have about 10-15 seniors each, and none are NFL prospects.

Those 20-30 kids will never play football again. Their life will remember this as the last time they stepped on the field. And this game determines if they go out, forever, with a winning record vs losing record, whether their last day in helmet and pads was a win or loss. Its the last time their families will ever get to watch their son play.

Why should a 6-6 team be playing in Bowl game? if they mean something. Once the playoffs expand, hopefully that's end of the bowl games.

Yes...Your last game should be the last game of the regular Season, if you don't qualify for the playoffs. High School, FCS, NAIA, and the NFL can handle it. I think division 1 college players can handle it also.

I never said the regular season games are meaningless.

I never said the regular season games are meaningless.
In your view why would they not be meaningless? If your team is having a mediocre year, then why would you risk injury against Vandy in your last game or maybe Akron in the next to last game?

I mean, we are talking about “generational money”, right? If you take the position that the last game of the season is irrelevant (if it’s a bowl game), then opting out of other games would be taking your position to its logical conclusion.

College athletes get an opportunity to earn a college degree and many are the first in their family to do so. Wow, talk about generational money! My dad played basketball at Yale when they made the elite eight and was asked to play for the Lakers, but he passed on that in order to get a graduate degree from Illinois. Ended up having a 37 year career with 3M and became a VP in sales.

I and all of his other 3 kids went on to get our degrees as well as our kids. Dad’s father was a plumber who started a small plumbing company. If my dad hadn’t been discovered in basketball, then he too would have gone into plumbing like his dad.

There is NOTHING wrong with plumbing, but basketball gave my dad that degree that opened a whole new world for him and for his children, grandchildren and beyond. Some would call that his degree was a generational event.

Far too many folks have lost the understanding of what these kids get on so many levels from a college degree and the opportunities that come from the experience. Simply reducing it all to bare bones dollars and cents is missing the point, but if one wasn’t in that arena, then maybe that is all they can see.

Why should a 6-6 team be playing in Bowl game? if they mean something. Once the playoffs expand, hopefully that's end of the bowl games.
I would have liked to see the magic number to recieve a bowl bid gone to 7 when we added a 12th game but that didnt happen. I'm guessing mainly because of money for whoever. But since 6-6 teams get a post season game, it would be kinda nice to see them only play other 6-6 teams. Call them a tie-breaker bowl or something. Let's end the season with winners and losers. Might just be a little less meaningless.

I would have liked to see the magic number to recieve a bowl bid gone to 7 when we added a 12th game but that didnt happen. I'm guessing mainly because of money for whoever. But since 6-6 teams get a post season game, it would be kinda nice to see them only play other 6-6 teams. Call them a tie-breaker bowl or something. Let's end the season with winners and losers. Might just be a little less meaningless.
I think the bowl experience has been watered down somewhat with the proliferation of bowls over the years. I agree with at least a 7 win season being a good floor - because rewarding a 500 season is necessary? Of course it’s not necessary, and the games mean something to most fans and players, but 500 teams in bowls?

I get that it’s March madness, but look how many teams make it into that field these days with most having no chance to do anything big. It is a playoff where everyone theoretically has a chance and there are Cinderella stories there for sure.

I would not be against college football shortening the regular season or creating an end to the season and expanding the playoffs.

Let the playoffs run through the traditional bowl games. Obviously this is a subject that could be endlessly debated.

I think the bowl experience has been watered down somewhat with the proliferation of bowls over the years. I agree with at least a 7 win season being a good floor - because rewarding a 500 season is necessary? Of course it’s not necessary, and the games mean something to most fans and players, but 500 teams in bowls?

I get that it’s March madness, but look how many teams make it into that field these days with most having no chance to do anything big. It is a playoff where everyone theoretically has a chance and there are Cinderella stories there for sure.

I would not be against college football shortening the regular season or creating an end to the season and expanding the playoffs.

Let the playoffs run through the traditional bowl games. Obviously this is a subject that could be endlessly debated.
Yeah I've debated this subject ad nauseam in the past... as have a lot of us. So I'm not really wanting to go back there at this point in time.
One thing I think we can all agree on is the ncaa will make changes. Those changes will come slower than a snail's pace and they will be incremental enough to hardly address the issue.

Yeah I've debated this subject ad nauseam in the past... as have a lot of us. So I'm not really wanting to go back there at this point in time.
One thing I think we can all agree on is the ncaa will make changes. Those changes will come slower than a snail's pace and they will be incremental enough to hardly address the issue.
You know, I would like to think that there are some smart people in the NCAA offices, but maybe they have been around too long like many politicians. Not going to hold my breath looking for the NCAA to be terribly intelligent, but I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: bucketdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT