ADVERTISEMENT

NIT and USC

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
If they beat Georgia to finish 16-15 and 10- 7 in the SEC will they get in the NIT losing the 1st game in the SEC tourney and finish .500. If not, how many wins do they need to get in?

No, 16-16 isn't doing it. The NIT is going to give auto bids to midmajor regular season champs who don't win their conference tourney. USC's NET is in the 90s so that basically means you have around 30-40 at large teams ahead of you

Reactions: vacock#
If they beat Georgia to finish 16-15 and 10- 7 in the SEC will they get in the NIT losing the 1st game in the SEC tourney and finish .500. If not, how many wins do they need to get in?

I don't think South Carolina will be going to the NIT, even if they win every game except for the SEC Final.

We're done! Going nowhere!

The NIT doesn’t do anything to prepare us or give us any experience. It’s like the Belk Bowl to be honest. Some will watch, some won’t. However, it’s better to be in the NIT than sitting home doing nothing...just like a crappy bowl.

Hoping they somehow get into the NIT but not biting my fingernails over it.

What makes our situation interesting is how high we’ll finish in the SEC. I’d be surprised if the NIT doesn’t invite us if we are 1 game over .500. I’d think they’d want an SEC team in the field and our resume should look much better than their other choices. We are a very unique case this season.

The NIT doesn’t do anything to prepare us or give us any experience. It’s like the Belk Bowl to be honest. Some will watch, some won’t. However, it’s better to be in the NIT than sitting home doing nothing...just like a crappy bowl.

Hoping they somehow get into the NIT but not biting my fingernails over it.

What makes our situation interesting is how high we’ll finish in the SEC. I’d be surprised if the NIT doesn’t invite us if we are 1 game over .500. I’d think they’d want an SEC team in the field and our resume should look much better than their other choices. We are a very unique case this season.

Depends on how Arkansas closes. If the Hogs win the next 2 they are 17-14. Win a game in the SECT and they are 18-15. NIT may take 3 games above .500 for appearances over 1 game over. 500. Plus, Arkansas is a program with more name recognition in CBB

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Certainly good enough to compete in the NIT but those early losses that were "learning lessons" {e.g. Stoney Brook, Wyoming} might haunt us in the end.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Beat Georgia and win our first round game in the SEC tournament and we should be in. I don't see how that committee would overlook a top four team from the SEC.

Reactions: GandBinNC
I've had numerous spirited discussions on the merits, or lack thereof, of the NIT. I won't get into it here, other than to say I don't view the NIT as legitimate.

Could be worse though. I remember having some knock-down, drag-out discussions with fans who vigorously argued in favor of us going to the laughable CBI. Seriously.

Reactions: king ward
I've had numerous spirited discussions on the merits, or lack thereof, of the NIT. I won't get into it here, other than to say I don't view the NIT as legitimate.

Could be worse though. I remember having some knock-down, drag-out discussions with fans who vigorously argued in favor of us going to the laughable CBI. Seriously.
They were really pathetic.

No, 16-16 isn't doing it. The NIT is going to give auto bids to midmajor regular season champs who don't win their conference tourney. USC's NET is in the 90s so that basically means you have around 30-40 at large teams ahead of you

This. The NIT is harder than it used to be to get into. It’s win the SEC tournament or basketball season is over.

Reactions: vacock# and vehemon
Beat Georgia and win our first round game in the SEC tournament and we should be in. I don't see how that committee would overlook a top four team from the SEC.
Fraid not. Too many automatic bids to the NIT and then the teams with the best records.

Could care less about going to the NIT. Many view it as a chance to improve and be a stepping stone. Well, I remember Dave Odom winning back to back NIT's and it led to nothing but his eventual firing. Bottom line is if you are in a Power 5 conference, and can't be one of the top 68 teams in the country, just call it a year and start over next year.

Could care less about going to the NIT. Many view it as a chance to improve and be a stepping stone. Well, I remember Dave Odom winning back to back NIT's and it led to nothing but his eventual firing. Bottom line is if you are in a Power 5 conference, and can't be one of the top 68 teams in the country, just call it a year and start over next year.

Maybe. Don't think it's any worse than playing in Belk Bowl though - especially if we can win a few. Good experience for those returning.

If we get into the NIT, I will watch the games and pull for the Gamecocks. But I just have no enthusiasm for discussing our outlook as an NIT "bubble" team. Can we all agree that if you are an NIT bubble team at this point in the season, it was a disappointing season?

Being in the NIT at all is the ending to a disappointing season.

Reactions: king ward

I understand why an NIT bid would not quicken the pulse of most fans. But I disagree. The top tier NIT teams are better than many of the automatic bid teams in the NCAA. Period. Only 68 teams can get into the NCAA, and because of automatic bids, the NCAA Tourney does not represent the best 68 teams in the country. Never has, never will, as long as there are automatic bids.

So yes, I would like to see us receive and accept an NIT bid. But more importantly than what I think or any of us on this board thinks, I wonder if Silva or Kotsar or Gravett would prefer to stay home or keep their college careers going just a bit longer? My guess is they would welcome an NIT bid.

Unless, of course, they do what we all hope and win the SEC Tournament for one of those aforementioned automatic bids.

Reactions: Cybercock
Being in the NIT at all is the ending to a disappointing season.
More people need to realize that or we are never going to have a respectable program around here - one that Dances more often than not. And I don't give a crap what we haven't done in the past. We should be on the level of a Florida anyway.

More people need to realize that or we are never going to have a respectable program around here - one that Dances more often than not. And I don't give a crap what we haven't done in the past. We should be on the level of a Florida anyway.
What do you think could be done to change your assessment? I don’t think we should stand pat and accept our mediocrity. The pumpers get mad but Frank cannot get a quality roster consistently.

What do you think could be done to change your assessment? I don’t think we should stand pat and accept our mediocrity. The pumpers get mad but Frank cannot get a quality roster consistently.
It's simple but not easy. It's always the same solution. It's a matter of getting the right people together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT