ADVERTISEMENT

No ceiling for the Gamecocks

Is what it should always be called. Now the question is who can fulfill that goal.
This is my personal judgement year for Beamer. Those are now fully his guys and his coaching staff. I don’t have much faith in this team though.

This is my personal judgement year for Beamer. Those are now fully his guys and his coaching staff. I don’t have much faith in this team though.
Gamecocks don’t have the roster to win week in and week out. Not enough talent and difference makers to truly have a good chance of winning every game hence why they are picked 13th by the media.

Gamecocks don’t have the roster to win week in and week out. Not enough talent and difference makers to truly have a good chance of winning every game hence why they are picked 13th by the media.

And whose fault is that?

And whose fault is that?
The university has a say in all things. Everyone pulling in the same direction. Beamer can do but so much with what he has. Nowadays money can buy some immediate success but then you have to have enough to retain that success. I think most football intelligent people know how difficult his job is going forward.

The buck stops with Beamer, and no one here I've seen is expecting anything better than 7-5, which is punching above his weight IMHO.

The university has a say in all things. Everyone pulling in the same direction. Beamer can do but so much with what he has. Nowadays money can buy some immediate success but then you have to have enough to retain that success. I think most football intelligent people know how difficult his job is going forward.

Agree. It's a minefield and we don't have the money to compete with a lot of the teams in the conference.

The athletic department understands that fact. I will be satisfied to get back to a bowl game and I think that's a realistic possibility.

Agree. It's a minefield and we don't have the money to compete with a lot of the teams in the conference.

The athletic department understands that fact. I will be satisfied to get back to a bowl game and I think that's a realistic possibility.

Hopefully you’re wrong and the AD hasn’t given up on being better than 6-6 in football.

This thread makes no sense. There is ALWAYS a ceiling even with an undefeated NC team. Until this year the ceiling was 14 games because that is all you could possibly play. According to this thread if we go 11-1 in the regular season we've failed. Nonsense.

This thread makes no sense. There is ALWAYS a ceiling even with an undefeated NC team. Until this year the ceiling was 14 games because that is all you could possibly play. According to this thread if we go 11-1 in the regular season we've failed. Nonsense.
If we go 5-7 that is a definite failure — and that is the best we could do this year.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Hopefully you’re wrong and the AD hasn’t given up on being better than 6-6 in football.

I'm certain the AD hasn't given on being as good as is possible.

But going to a bowl this year will be a win and improvement.

I'm certain the AD hasn't given on being as good as is possible.

But going to a bowl this year will be a win and improvement.

Will it? It will just be the result or the schedule being one game easier as we replaced UNC with Akron.

That’s the scary part is people are going to act like it was a big improvement if we luck out to 6-6.

Will it? It will just be the result or the schedule being one game easier as we replaced UNC with Akron.

That’s the scary part is people are going to act like it was a big improvement if we luck out to 6-6.
Yes, it will.

One of those wins will likely have to be Missouri. That's a tall order in my opinion.

Fits with your argument style that you would claim lowering the standards as a success.
A bowl game will be an improvement and a nice accomplishment.

yokels and snowflakes can sit around arguing about how the wins weren't impressive, or were impressive, or were bad, or great, or terrible, or other totally subjective terms, etc.

A bowl game will be an improvement and a nice accomplishment.

yokels and snowflakes can sit around arguing about how the wins weren't impressive, or were impressive, or were bad, or great, or terrible, or other totally subjective terms, etc.

Calling people “snowflakes” has to be the most cringe thing a man can do.

Calling people “snowflakes” has to be the most cringe thing a man can do.
I adopted it because right wingers like it and used it so much like good cult members after his campaign started using the term.

I'm certain you thought it was "cringe" when Trump did it too. I am sure.... LOL

The Trump campaign launched a website called snowflakevictory.com to give guidance to Trump’s supporters about how to deal with their “liberal relatives” during family gatherings during holidays.

In the run-up to the 2016 US elections, which saw Donald Trump elected as president, it was a term “lobbed especially fiercely by those on the right side of the political spectrum at those on the left,” said Merriam-Webster.

It was leapt upon by far-right sites like Breitbart, fervent supporters of Trump’s presidential 2016 presidential bid.

If we go 5-7 that is a definite failure — and that is the best we could do this year.
So, what if we went 7-5? Would that be a failure? According to the slogan "No Ceiling for the Gamecocks" it would be.

Yes. His recruiting is sub par

Reactions: bayrooster
Yes. His recruiting is sub par

Do you believe it's sub par independent of the additional imbalances the NIL has created?

Someone wrote the other day "The Buck Stops With Beamer...

From what I've seen, that's quite accurate in the literal sense.

If you're having the top players on the team walk out two years in a row, isn't it self-evident we can't afford to retain them?

The only one that stuck around (Rattler) was the one we we actually able to shower with riches.

There has to be some AD-imposed gag order on speaking about this issue b/c of a fear of discouraging any current donors.

In comparison, there's teams like Missouri and Ole Miss would have been publicly scorching NIL grabs and separating themselves from us since the system began back in late 2021 to further emphasize the point.

So is it that Beamer is a poor recruiter? Is it we can't compete from a NIL/Porta perspective? Or is it a combination thereof? And can you support these claims with actual evidence?

I'm not singling anyone out. I'm genuinely curious because all I see is purposely muddied waters when it comes to the NIL/Portal as of today and big donor schools running amuck as a result.

It's almost impossible to extrapolate because all of the information you can gather about teams and their NIL/Portal game are vague press releases and deal speculation from the media.

Do you believe it's sub par independent of the additional imbalances the NIL has created?

Someone wrote the other day "The Buck Stops With Beamer...

From what I've seen, that's quite accurate in the literal sense.

If you're having the top players on the team walk out two years in a row, isn't it self-evident we can't afford to retain them?

The only one that stuck around (Rattler) was the one we we actually able to shower with riches.

There has to be some AD-imposed gag order on speaking about this issue b/c of a fear of discouraging any current donors.

In comparison, there's teams like Missouri and Ole Miss would have been publicly scorching NIL grabs and separating themselves from us since the system began back in late 2021 to further emphasize the point.

So is it that Beamer is a poor recruiter? Is it we can't compete from a NIL/Porta perspective? Or is it a combination thereof? And can you support these claims with actual evidence?

I'm not singling anyone out. I'm genuinely curious because all I see is purposely muddied waters when it comes to the NIL/Portal as of today and big donor schools running amuck as a result.

It's almost impossible to extrapolate because all of the information you can gather about teams and their NIL/Portal game are vague press releases and deal speculation from the media.

Your last paragraph is the problem with this discussion. There is no clear and open evidence to confirm either argument. You’re going to ignore Juice Wells himself saying he had better offers other than Ole Miss. You’re likewise going to ignore that all of our marquee transfers went to schools with better coaches. You’re going to ignore we outspent other schools for Rattler, Harbor and Stewart.

However, it’s irrelevant to the actual discussion. The question is can Beamer be successful with the resources we currently have? If he can’t, then there is no reason to keep him as HC.

Reactions: jonesz21
Your last paragraph is the problem with this discussion. There is no clear and open evidence to confirm either argument. You’re going to ignore Juice Wells himself saying he had better offers other than Ole Miss. You’re likewise going to ignore that all of our marquee transfers went to schools with better coaches. You’re going to ignore we outspent other schools for Rattler, Harbor and Stewart.

However, it’s irrelevant to the actual discussion. The question is can Beamer be successful with the resources we currently have? If he can’t, then there is no reason to keep him as HC.

I don't believe we can hang anything on the words of Juice Wells. The guy played the system in his own best interests every step of the way including staying down when he could have been on the field. He obviously was looking for the greenest pastures available to max out his wealth in college b/c he's questionable in the NFL at that size and why wouldn't he with this crazy system in place?

I'm not ignoring we spent for those guys at all. I think that's about where the "Buck Stopped" though. We got a big time QB and tried to get a big time WR to complement him that hasn't panned out. If we don't whiff on Harbor, other big named schools who were in the bidding war would have whiffed right behind us so it's kindof a moot point.

The question is can any coach be successful with those resources other than a Hall of Fame SEC Darling who chose us on a whim to try to create a media stir and get big attention and big recruits to follow? Not to mention, those days are over and Spurrier has stated that emphatically himself. Beamer sits 2 wins from the all-time record here and we're pissed b/c Ole Miss and Missouri found buried treasure while two perineal powerhouses also bounced into the league this season. So now we sit at a preseason rank of #13. Looks just about right based on history, resources and this year's scheduling (e.g. UK on the road.)

Last edited:
I don't believe we can hang anything on the words of Juice Wells. The guy played the system in his own best interests every step of the way including staying down when he could have been on the field. He obviously was looking for the greenest pastures available to max out his wealth in college b/c he's questionable in the NFL at that size and why wouldn't he with this crazy system in place?

I'm not ignoring we spent for those guys at all. I think that's about where the "Buck Stopped" though. We got a big time QB and tried to get a big time WR to complement him that hasn't panned out. If we don't whiff on Harbor, other big named schools who were in the bidding war would have whiffed right behind us so it's kindof a moot point.

The question is can any coach be successful with those resources other than a Hall of Fame SEC Darling who chose us on a whim to try to create a media stir and get big attention and big recruits to follow? Not to mention, those days are over and Spurrier has stated that emphatically himself. Beamer sits 2 wins from the all-time record here and we're pissed b/c Ole Miss and Missouri found buried treasure while two perineal powerhouses also bounced into the league this season. So now we sit at a preseason rank of #13. Looks just about right based on history, resources and this year's scheduling (e.g. UK on the road.)

Drinkwitz shouldn’t have been a diamond in a rough coaching prospect for any gamecock fan. Especially after we watched him beat Muschamp, our winningest ever coach in his first three years (that appears to be the most important metric to you).

If Beamer goes 5-7/6-6 this season are you going to consider that success?

Drinkwitz shouldn’t have been a diamond in a rough coaching prospect for any gamecock fan. Especially after we watched him beat Muschamp, our winningest ever coach in his first three years (that appears to be the most important metric to you).

Whether Ward thinks that or not, too many WOULD be content with that.

Here's one glaring problem (among many) with the "What's Our Record" zero context crowd.

Our 3 best seasons in history were from 2011, 2012 and 2013 under Spurrier when we went 6-2 in the SEC each season.

Guess how many ranked SEC teams we beat during that 3-year run? Two total wins against ranked teams in 3 years.

This year we're playing 5 ranked SEC teams in the Top 20 -- including 3 in the Top 10.

We've also got a brand new QB and a completely unknown offense.

What do you believe our record should be given those factors?

Here's one glaring problem (among many) with the "What's Our Record" zero context crowd.

Our 3 best seasons in history were from 2011, 2012 and 2013 under Spurrier when we went 6-2 in the SEC each season.

Guess how many ranked SEC teams we beat during that 3-year run? Two total wins against ranked teams in 3 years.

This year we're playing 5 ranked SEC teams in the Top 20 -- including 3 in the Top 10.

You left out the current coaching staff. That’s definitely a factor.

Whose fault is it that we have a completely unknown offense?

Its year 4, any issues with the team fall squarely on Beamer.

Do I really have to? You don't think the staff is a factor? How many SEC teams have a worse staff than we do? Arkansas? Vandy?

Let's walk this through.

In 2021, Beamer exceeded most expectations and was a finalist for Steve Spurrier First-Year Coach of the Year.

In 2022, he beat two top ten teams, broke the Clemson drought in Clemson, and finished 8-5. One of our better seasons ever.

In 2023, he lost 4 of his 5 best returning players who were instrumental to the success in 2022 and finished under par.

Three of these players were lost because we couldn't pay them enough money in the new system that our best coach in history has stated is almost impossible for teams like South Carolina.

To spite the new rigged system and lack of funding versus his main competition, Beamer is two wins from the best ever.

Please explain that logic again?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT