ADVERTISEMENT

Not Bashing MBB but...

Some of the people in this thread must have thought Holbrook was doing a bang up job for the baseball team

USCALUMNI

Didn’t realize Frank Martin inherited a two time defending champion NORTH Carolina basketball team.

Apples and oranges both in sport and program inherited.

Reactions: roosterbell
Didn’t realize Frank Martin inherited a two time defending champion NORTH Carolina basketball team.

Apples and oranges both in sport and program inherited.

That is a very fair comment, but I do not think Martin has built off of his success in the final four run and 2 years after the run people are discussing if he will be the MBB coach long term. I am very disappointed that he did not perform better after his magical run
USCALUMNI

Last edited:
That is a very fair comment, but I do not think Martin has built off of his success in the final four run and 2 years after the run people are discussing if he will be the MBB coach long term. I am very disappointed that he did not build up after his final four run

USCALUMNI

I understand the disappointment. As a Gamecock and hoops fan I’ll admit I hoped for more consistency. I guess this is why I think Martin gets 2 more seasons even though I know this is the unpopular opinion. Martin is our winningest coach going back to George Felton (going back 30 years) and inherited the single biggest mess since Fogler took over for Steve Newton. You’ve got to respect that.

Having said that, all coaches run their course at some point. Martin has been here a while. Usually either the coach gets sick of the school or the fans, administration or players get sick of the coach at about this point. Sad reality of coaching.

Frank Martin 123-98 .557
Darrin Horn 60-63 .488
Dave Odom 128-104 .552
Eddie Fogler 123-117 .512
Steve Newton 20-35 .364
George Felton 87-62 .584

Reactions: uscalumni
That is a very fair comment, but I do not think Martin has built off of his success in the final four run and 2 years after the run people are discussing if he will be the MBB coach long term. I am very disappointed that he perform better after his magical run
USCALUMNI

I didn't expect to make it back to the final four last year or this year but to be in the tournament should be the bar and expectations. Every team has turnover, freshman, transfers, injuries, etc. IMHO, I don't care if we hadn't won a NCAA tournament game since the 70s, these coaches are getting paid Millions to win, but as you can see some are ok with the "Garnet way" 1/7 dance appearances ain't bad

I didn't expect to make it back to the final four last year or this year but to be in the tournament should be the bar and expectations. Every team has turnover, freshman, transfers, injuries, etc. IMHO, I don't care if we hadn't won a NCAA tournament game since the 70s, these coaches are getting paid Millions to win, but as you can see some are ok with the "Garnet way" 1/7 dance appearances ain't bad

I agree, I just look at Dawn Staley's team and she is in the National Title talk every year. Some people make excuses to not be successful and coaches like Nick Saben, Dawn Staley and Dabo Swinney call bullshit on that type of nonsense.

USCALUMNI

I agree, I just look at Dawn Staley's team and she is in the National Title talk every year. Some people make excuses to not be successful and coaches like Nick Saben, Dawn Staley and Dabo Swinney call bullshit on that type of nonsense.

USCALUMNI

It shows that you can win in this state, the talents here, the facilities are here, but it comes down to recruiting, coaching, and players executing... A program under a seventh year coach shouldn't look like a team that is rebuilding year after year.

Are you seriously asking about Frank Martins job security right now? Seriously?

We’re 5-1 in the SEC right now and clearly trending in the right direction just two years after making the final 4. Oh and it’s Not easy to beat a big 12 team on the road when the other team takes 20 more FT’s than you.

Unfortunately 5-1 in SEC right now, maybe, just maybe gets an NIT berth with a few more wins.. After a BAD loss to a miserable OklST state team (8-11 at game time) pretty much "BIG DANCE" chances Eliminated..

Reactions: jeff2001

USCALUMNI
Dawn Staley is a former WNBA allstar & a Olympic coach. She can recruit off name only. With Nick and Dabo look at what their athletic departments do for them to make their jobs easier.

I really don’t see us getting a better coach than Frank Martin. But maybe we can get one that doesn’t degrade his players and cuss them out relentlessly when they make a mistake.

Frank gets plenty of one and done players. They just transfer out of the program to somewhere else. It is a freaking revolving door.
Treatment of players is a bigger deal to me than wins and losses at this point. Watching him berate Chris Silva yesterday was painful.

What did he say to Chris Silva? I wasn’t there.

Dawn Staley is a former WNBA allstar & a Olympic coach. She can recruit off name only. With Nick and Dabo look at what their athletic departments do for them to make their jobs easier.

Dabo was an unproven coach when he took over at Clemson, I hate the Tigers with a passion but he the example of recruiting elite talent and coaching up the talent he has. Maybe the schools do a lot for both of them but Nick and Dabo where both unproven when they took over

USCALUMNI

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT