ADVERTISEMENT

Observation from last night's men's bball game re: COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
I have noticed that most times Dawn Staley and the women's team don't do the traditional handshake with the other team at the end of the game and have heard its a COVID safety protocol. I even see them waive at the other team post-game. Also, interesting they have had relatively few issues so far re: COVID.

Last night at A&M, Frank Martin went through the entire A&M team and coaches after the game with no mask on practically hugging the players and speaking into their ears with no mask. I just don't get this. He and his team have had way too many COVID issues that have resulted in both coaches and players having to take time away from the team in practice and games. Also saw him post on social media today ordering BBQ somewhere in TX with no mask. Now he finally has most of the team back healthy and participating, it just makes no sense to take these unnecessary risks in the interest of trying to keep all the players and coaches on the floor.

And that is what this post is about. Not really whatever your personally feelings are about the pandemic, but why is the head basketball coach, when our team last year and this year had multiple COVID issues deeply affecting our ability to be successful, take these kind of unnecessary risks? It makes no sense to me.

Also noticed Dawn Staley and our coaches on the bench today in Gainesville wearing masks and appreciate the extra precautions they are taking to help protect the players AND the program.

Aren't we supposed to be immune to this now after a couple shots and getting it a couple times? Doesn't seem to work at all. Neither are those masks. Did you pay attention to Dawn when she had her mask down to bitch at the ref? Did you just see 80,000 people huddled up in Kansas City w no mask?
I am not worried about 80,000 at Arrowhead Stadium though they are outdoors. I am concerned about our mens basketball program and understand it is in the dumpster and this is a very important season. The team and coaches have had LOTS of COVID issues that have directly led to needed coaches and players losing time. All I am saying is you would think they would be more careful. Especially when Martin himself has had COVID twice and likes to use it as an excuse for losing.

Maybe some people want to live normal lives and not be scared every time they leave the house. If you want to live in a bubble, have at it. Just don’t expect the rest of the world to follow. You have a better chance dying in a car wreck, but we drive every day. Stop trying to control how other people live their lives.
This may be true, but it is irrelevant to OP’s point. A player testing positive means he’s not playing. Seems like doing what is controllable to prevent positive tests would mean more players able to play and therefore a better chance of winning. Perhaps winning is more important to Dawn than Frank. Their respective records would indicate that may be the case.

If winning is important to DS why does she, like most all coaches, pull down the mask at the time it’s needed most - to spew at officials and players? Why even wear one? (Though I’ve got mine on even in church.). She isn’t following the rules any more than Frank.

If winning is important to DS why does she, like most all coaches, pull down the mask at the time it’s needed most - to spew at officials and players? Why even wear one? (Though I’ve got mine on even in church.). She isn’t following the rules any more than Frank.
You are wrong. I never saw a mask on the sidelines with Frank Martin at all last night. There is no absolute. Anytime you wear a mask in this scenario you are reducing the likelihood of exposure.

This is a do or die season for Martin. Surprised he is not being more careful.

Some people will have a mask on a year from now even if proven it does little or nothing for prevention. The vaccine seems to help to reduce symptoms but doesn't stop the spread. People who are vaxxed can spread the virus ask Israel. In fact they say a booster ruins the immune system of the vaxxed. If you are positive, get a therapeutic treatment as soon as you can don't wait for worse symptoms to occur. These PSA on radio and TV are ridiculous still supporting the same things that never worked.

I am not worried about 80,000 at Arrowhead Stadium though they are outdoors. I am concerned about our mens basketball program and understand it is in the dumpster and this is a very important season. The team and coaches have had LOTS of COVID issues that have directly led to needed coaches and players losing time. All I am saying is you would think they would be more careful. Especially when Martin himself has had COVID twice and likes to use it as an excuse for losing.

So maybe we should take the roof off the the Colonial Center since outside is safe? 🤣🤣

Aren't we supposed to be immune to this now after a couple shots and getting it a couple times? Doesn't seem to work at all. Neither are those masks. Did you pay attention to Dawn when she had her mask down to bitch at the ref? Did you just see 80,000 people huddled up in Kansas City w no mask?

I just recovered from a week of omicron. Thanks to two vaccinations and a booster I didn't require hospitalization or even a trip to my doctor. The vaccines have never been touted as 100% effective but they'll save your life.

I just recovered from a week of omicron. Thanks to two vaccinations and a booster I didn't require hospitalization or even a trip to my doctor. The vaccines have never been touted as 100% effective but they'll save your life.

How do you know that "Thanks to two vaccinations and a booster I didn't require hospitalization or even a trip to my doctor" ?
I just had it and was over it in a few days also. Nothing to it and no shots here.

How do you know that "Thanks to two vaccinations and a booster I didn't require hospitalization or even a trip to my doctor" ?
I just had it and was over it in a few days also. Nothing to it and no shots here.
Our country is in dire need of mass education on public health and population-based health outcomes. Preferably before the next virus comes.

Anyway.....my OP again wasnt about personal feelings about COVID. It was surprise that our coach, who is squarely on a very hot seat and has 10 games remaining this year with 6 of those games against teams in the top half of the SEC, is not doing every small thing he can to try and prevent COVID from hitting this team again and negatively impacting the W/L record. One of FM's problems is he is incredibly stubborn. Two bouts with COVID and multiple hits to players and other coaches and it still looks like he can't change.

And at the end of the season, if there is yet another miss on the NCAA tourney (which seems likely), I don't want to hear a peep from FM blaming it on anything COVID related.....as he has already done multiple times over the last two years.

Our country is in dire need of mass education on public health and population-based health outcomes. Preferably before the next virus comes.

Anyway.....my OP again wasnt about personal feelings about COVID. It was surprise that our coach, who is squarely on a very hot seat and has 10 games remaining this year with 6 of those games against teams in the top half of the SEC, is not doing every small thing he can to try and prevent COVID from hitting this team again and negatively impacting the W/L record. One of FM's problems is he is incredibly stubborn. Two bouts with COVID and multiple hits to players and other coaches and it still looks like he can't change.

And at the end of the season, if there is yet another miss on the NCAA tourney (which seems likely), I don't want to hear a peep from FM blaming it on anything COVID related.....as he has already done multiple times over the last two years.
Unless the players are wearing masks while playing, I really don't see the point of waving to each other after the game. My son has been doing this for a while now after rec games and I think its ridiculous. They are all over each other for an hour in big groups and not spread out at all (because he was 6 when this all started and 6 year olds just all go where the ball is). If they're going to play contact sports at all in rec league, college, or professional leagues, they're just going to have to accept the risks. Masks or waving to each other after a game after you've been playing without them aren't going to prevent anything.

I think your points might make some sense in a sport like baseball, but I just don't see how it can work in basketball or football.

Last edited:
My wife and daughter both had it, Only mild Flu like symptons for both. Wife HAD To stay out of work, although she felt fine, daughter HAD to stay out of school although she felt fine, I never even got it, but have been tested a SLEW of times.. IMHO it is blown out of proportion, Before you start berating me for saying that, i am sure different people are affected differently, just like the OLD FASHIONED (no longer around) normal Flu..

I have noticed that most times Dawn Staley and the women's team don't do the traditional handshake with the other team at the end of the game and have heard its a COVID safety protocol. I even see them waive at the other team post-game. Also, interesting they have had relatively few issues so far re: COVID.

Last night at A&M, Frank Martin went through the entire A&M team and coaches after the game with no mask on practically hugging the players and speaking into their ears with no mask. I just don't get this. He and his team have had way too many COVID issues that have resulted in both coaches and players having to take time away from the team in practice and games. Also saw him post on social media today ordering BBQ somewhere in TX with no mask. Now he finally has most of the team back healthy and participating, it just makes no sense to take these unnecessary risks in the interest of trying to keep all the players and coaches on the floor.

And that is what this post is about. Not really whatever your personally feelings are about the pandemic, but why is the head basketball coach, when our team last year and this year had multiple COVID issues deeply affecting our ability to be successful, take these kind of unnecessary risks? It makes no sense to me.

Also noticed Dawn Staley and our coaches on the bench today in Gainesville wearing masks and appreciate the extra precautions they are taking to help protect the players AND the program.
I get what you’re saying and you have some valid points.

However between the deniers, anti vaxxers and those that are just flat out uninformed or don’t care, I had very little faith this thread would become anything more than what it is.

Maybe some people want to live normal lives and not be scared every time they leave the house. If you want to live in a bubble, have at it. Just don’t expect the rest of the world to follow. You have a better chance dying in a car wreck, but we drive every day. Stop trying to control how other people live their lives.
Not true!
South Carolina averages less than 1,100 traffic deaths per year, about 3 per day. There have been over 15,000 covid deaths in SC in less that 2 years, about 25 per day. Why do people continue to say this?

I get what you’re saying and you have some valid points.

However between the deniers, anti vaxxers and those that are just flat out uninformed or don’t care, I had very little faith this thread would become anything more than what it is.

As far as the thread goes, agreed.
And yes the people are uninformed and that is by design.

The vaccines have never been touted as 100% effective
They were once touted as being over 95% effective. That was misinformation. Both of my 89 year old parents had covid last week, presumably the omicron variant. They are not vaxxed. Mom's lungs had been destroyed by earlier anesthesia, she's on constant oxygen and she has congestive heart failure. Both got through it without even seeing a doctor. They're tired but they are 89 after all.

It really doesn't matter what your stance on vaccines or masks are, but I really don't see why Frank wearing a mask on the bench or the players wearing masks on the bench is going to change anything. For 2 hours the players are in close proximity playing a contact sport. Shaking hands or not shaking hands at the end of the game is not going to add or reduce any risk of exposure should another player or coach be infected.

It really doesn't matter what your stance on vaccines or masks are, but I really don't see why Frank wearing a mask on the bench or the players wearing masks on the bench is going to change anything. For 2 hours the players are in close proximity playing a contact sport. Shaking hands or not shaking hands at the end of the game is not going to add or reduce any risk of exposure should another player or coach be infected.
This. After a close contact game maskless, wearing a mask just to shake hands at the end of the game seems a bit pointless.

Yes they have. Originally they were the end all being all. Get the jab so we can beat covid and stop the spread! Now it’s, well it won’t keep you from spreading, but it’ll keep you from the hospital. Which is still a lie. I know three people who were fully jabbed and died. I know at least a dozen who have no jab and had the virus and are fine. It’s al a crock of shit at this point. If you want the shot go ahead and take it. If you want a mask wear one. But leave the rest of us the hell alone.

You are wrong. I never saw a mask on the sidelines with Frank Martin at all last night. There is no absolute. Anytime you wear a mask in this scenario you are reducing the likelihood of exposure.

This is a do or die season for Martin. Surprised he is not being more careful.
If you feel safer with a little piece of cloth covering your face, that's your choice. Don't go trying to make that choice for everyone else though. Let the man live his life.

Good observation.

I just think it's his personal preference at this point. He's had COVID 2 times and last year he was really sick with it - we know now a lot sicker than we thought at the time.

I'm glad he seems to be doing well now.

I have had similar thoughts on MBB seemingly more loose approach to Covid. People can try to downplay this virus as much as they want but it ruined last season for that program. The team couldn't even practice for a month during the middle of the season because of it.

I'm especially disappointed in Frank Martin in how he's handling it, considering he caught it twice and he's developed alopecia as a side effect and was a shell of himself when he was trying to fight it last season.

So far it hasn't effected us too much this season except for the Clemson game but it does beg the question are they taking virus and how serious they care about winning as result of possibly losing games due to the virus.

For the millionth time....masks stop nothing. Vaccines stop nothing. Vaccines are only hurting people by causing blood clots, death, myocarditis, etc. Only sheep have not realized this yet.
Evidence? What sources tell you that?

Yes they have. Originally they were the end all being all. Get the jab so we can beat covid and stop the spread! Now it’s, well it won’t keep you from spreading, but it’ll keep you from the hospital. Which is still a lie. I know three people who were fully jabbed and died. I know at least a dozen who have no jab and had the virus and are fine. It’s al a crock of shit at this point. If you want the shot go ahead and take it. If you want a mask wear one. But leave the rest of us the hell alone.
At this point, everyone in my wife and I's family (wife and I, kids, parents, and my/her siblings/their family) has had it. Of them all, only my 2 sons and one of their fiance's (school teacher) have gotten the shot. Those 3 are the ones that have had it twice. My son that's in college would not have taken it, but it was either take it or be tested 3x per week NCAA rules. The shot isn't doing anything to stop any spread. The baseball team has been off and on practicing because of outbreaks and contact tracing, and they're over 95% vaccinated from what I've been told.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the way out of this is treatment (if needed) after positive tests and herd immunity. Unless you live in a cave, you're going to get it, it's inevitable.

I'm in total agreement. If you want the shot, by all means it's there for the taking, and nobody is stopping you, it's a personal choice. I wear my mask if required, but if not I don't. It's gotten beyond ridiculous IMO thinking those two things are doing anything to stop the spread. It's not.

Show me the quote he used for making it an excuse.

A senior NCO at McEntire just died Friday morning from Covid despite the fact he was fully vaccinated and in good health. Therapeutics probably wiuld have saved him. He didn't receive any therapeutics. That is where the government is delinquent in helping us. Slaves to the vaccine manufacturers.

Evidence? What sources tell you that?
Just do your own due diligence. The data is all over the place. Just not the mainsteam(owned by BigPharma) media. you only need Hydroxychloroquine, Metformin, etc. Big Pharma can't make money with this so they threaten those that support this. Its all coming out. Just lift a few fingers and do the research. Duck it!

My wife and daughter both had it, Only mild Flu like symptons for both. Wife HAD To stay out of work, although she felt fine, daughter HAD to stay out of school although she felt fine, I never even got it, but have been tested a SLEW of times.. IMHO it is blown out of proportion, Before you start berating me for saying that, i am sure different people are affected differently, just like the OLD FASHIONED (no longer around) normal Flu..
The flu is here and has been since September.🙄

Not true!
South Carolina averages less than 1,100 traffic deaths per year, about 3 per day. There have been over 15,000 covid deaths in SC in less that 2 years, about 25 per day. Why do people continue to say this?
Because of stupidity.

Reactions: usc1855
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT