ADVERTISEMENT

OFFENSE LINE

How did it get so much worse since last season? I mean, it wasn't great last season, but it's actually worse this year.

The announcers never really talk about the OL, but Blackledge (I think) just said he didn't understand what's going on with our OL communication. Neither do we Todd. Neither do we.

How many times can a guy give a defender a high five on his way to the QB, then just stand there blocking thin air?? Ridiculous.

Gwyn barely touched a free rusher, Blackledge called it out on a replay in the 2nd half. Gwyn likes contact but he looked confused on which defender to pick up. That’s coaching.
Blackledge also called out our OL coach. Don't know if I've ever seen that before. Kind of tells you where he thought the issue was.

What does that have to do with the offensive line? They have sucked in all three games.
They whiffed on some things tonight for sure yet at the end we had more total offense than we did last year against UGA. UGA had also given up 353 yards combined against Clemson and UAB and we had 296 tonight. The oline play absolutely has room to improve and maybe I’m being overly optimistic but I expect things to improve with Doty under center. Add in the threat of the QB run and the ability to pass downfield and all of a sudden defenses aren’t playing a one dimensional team.

Reactions: WingchunCock
They whiffed on some things tonight for sure yet at the end we had more total offense than we did last year against UGA. UGA had also given up 353 yards combined against Clemson and UAB and we had 296 tonight. The oline play absolutely has room to improve and maybe I’m being overly optimistic but I expect things to improve with Doty under center. Add in the threat of the QB run and the ability to pass downfield and all of a sudden defenses aren’t playing a one dimensional team.
😂😂

Reactions: IH8TerryCousin
Georgia has the best defensive line in the country einstein!!
So that’s why we looked at them when they ran by us? “Sorry man, y’all are the best in the country, we aren’t even gonna try to block you”.

Blackledge also called out our OL coach. Don't know if I've ever seen that before. Kind of tells you where he thought the issue was.
It wasn’t that our line was getting beat, they weren’t even trying. Todd called that out several times.

It wasn’t that our line was getting beat, they weren’t even trying. Todd called that out several times.
You actually believe they weren't trying? Seriously?

What it appeared is that they weren't sure of what their assignment was on a particular play. It was as if they didn't understand the scheme or their responsibility within it.

Last edited:
Reactions: roosterbell
You actually believe they weren't trying? Seriously?

What it appeared is that they weren't sure of what their assignment was on a particular play. It was as if they didn't understand the scheme or their responsibility within it.
The two plays that stick out in my mind are when the linebacker ran right by the guard (who wasn’t engaged with anyone) and he literally looked at him and sorta threw his arm to give him a slight shove, that was it. All he had to do was slide and pick the guy up. The other play that sticks out is the left tackle didn’t block the end and went for the linebacker who was dropping into coverage. Now why on a pass play would the left tackle not block the end? Something weird is going on, I don’t know if it’s Satterfield or Atkins or what but someone doesn’t know how to block their plays that are being called.

You would think the OL would be better than what they are showing given that they have practiced for weeks against our DL that no one is complaining about. Humm, what are we doing in practice?

The two plays that stick out in my mind are when the linebacker ran right by the guard (who wasn’t engaged with anyone) and he literally looked at him and sorta threw his arm to give him a slight shove, that was it. All he had to do was slide and pick the guy up. The other play that sticks out is the left tackle didn’t block the end and went for the linebacker who was dropping into coverage. Now why on a pass play would the left tackle not block the end? Something weird is going on, I don’t know if it’s Satterfield or Atkins or what but someone doesn’t know how to block their plays that are being called.
It's Adkins....and this is no doubt a coaching issue. It is pretty obvious the players do not understand their assignments or responsibilities within the blocking scheme.

It's Adkins....and this is no doubt a coaching issue. It is pretty obvious the players do not understand their assignments or responsibilities within the blocking scheme.
It’s gotta be because that group of seniors and juniors look like true freshman starting their first game out there. That’s not a young offensive line we have. But even when you don’t know who to block you should still be trying to block SOMEONE. That’s why those two plays stood out to me so much. The play I mentioned with the tackle not blocking the end, that was a simple 5 on 4. No way he should have been confused on that play. I honestly have no clue what’s going on out there because in all my years of playing and being around football, I’ve never seen anything like this before.

Reactions: Palmetto Golf
It’s gotta be because that group of seniors and juniors look like true freshman starting their first game out there. That’s not a young offensive line we have. But even when you don’t know who toblock you should still be trying to block SOMEONE. That’s why those two plays stood out to me so much. The play I mentioned with the tackle not blocking the end, that was a simple 5 on 4. No way he should have been confused on that play. I honestly have no clue what’s going on out there because in all my years of playing and being around football, I’ve never seen anything like this before.
We don't play a man-on-man blocking scheme. It's some sort of zone blocking where each player has a particular assignment and as an OL you don't ad lib....you simply play as a cog within the unit where backs, TEs and WRs also may have blocking responsibilities. What you are guessing at (and may be right) was that the defensive player that came free was his responsibility....it may not have been or the player doesn't understand his responsibility within the scheme.....regardless, it seems to be more of a coaching issue since more than one player repeatedly is making these mistakes.

Our juniors and seniors are in there third offensive scheme and third offensive coordinator and third OL coach in the last three years. They are t moving their feet laterally well enough. This is at least partially in because of the coaxing/scheme changes but also on the new coaches who aren’t teaching lateral foot movement.

of course, talent is also an issue.

hoping they can become decent by mid-season. I don’t expect them to be excellent or even good this year.

Reactions: redrogers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT