ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL UK VS. USC GAME THREAD

No. That was Roper calling plays at midfield on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and 1 that didn't convert. That was Roper failing to capitalize on 2 turnovers inside the UK 40 yardline in the 1st quarter. That was Roper lining up in the shotgun on 4th and goal from the 1, and running Dowdle wide. The defense looked pretty bad in the first half, but they played well enough for a competent offense (and kicking game) to win tonight. We had neither of those things. Is Roper the only reason we lost tonight? No, but he was a HUGE part of it.

I didnt had a player named Roper

No. That was Roper calling plays at midfield on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and 1 that didn't convert. That was Roper failing to capitalize on 2 turnovers inside the UK 40 yardline in the 1st quarter. That was Roper lining up in the shotgun on 4th and goal from the 1, and running Dowdle wide. The defense looked pretty bad in the first half, but they played well enough for a competent offense (and kicking game) to win tonight. We had neither of those things. Is Roper the only reason we lost tonight? No, but he was a HUGE part of it.

Stop being so logical...don't you want to just throw Bentley under the buss for this loss like everyone else?

I swear in my 39 years i fukking give up we suck we'll always suck. We have a few good years here and there but when kentucky owns us thats just the last straw. Vandy is likely to start a streak on us next!
Fuk!!!!

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
You guys have been hospitable to me on this thread. I'm not going to flame or troll at this point. UK football has been mostly bad for so long and we are fighting for respect.

Next week we play Florida at home. We last beat them in 1986. I was in school at UK and was there to see it. I just turned 52 on Tuesday and it makes me feel old to realize how long that's been. IF (huge IF) we can beat them it would be a huge step forward for us.

I know this won't make you feel any better but I definitely be pulling for you guys against UGA, UF, and UT. I know it's clichéd to say this but good luck the rest of the season.

that's why some on this board need to settle down that SC has one of the SC greats
I never bought into that. I thought he was serviceable but he needs to grow up and become a lot more consistent. He's had enough game experience to do that, no excuse about age or high school or anything.

Reactions: bosoxcock
breaking news...its about the jimmy and the joes...not the X's and the o's
Yeah and water is wet captain obvious.

Guess what, you have to coach the xs and os to get the jimmys and Joe's. Otherwise wofford is going to blow us out.

Williams ran for 74 yards last week. Williams did not run the ball tonight. Why, Mr. Roper?
he finally showed up late....he caught 2 passes for 7yrds....i was wondering the same thing, so i guess ill just keep wondering....i thought he looked the best of the 3, but thats my opinion, which dont mean much

Reactions: cadcock
And in the meantime, Clemson looks to be well on their way to a 3rd straight appearance in the CFP. Just goes to show what you can do with 2 great coordinators and an all-out approach to recruiting. Too bad Spurrier didn't give a crap about either of those, and too bad Muschamp is convinced Roper is a top-shelf D1 OC.

Fan's fault.

Kentucky is a great team.

Haven't seen the wildcat before.

Be patient Muschamp is building great things.

Ray Tanner knows best.

Blackout's fault.

We can't win them all.

Who knew field goals were a part of football?

If you never played you shouldn't offer commentary.

My Coke tasted like doo-doo.

Our football twitter account is lit though.

IF _____ didn't happen THEN we certainly would have won.

#Deebo4Heisman

Screw practice, what's our uniform combination next week?

AND....wait til next year!

Roper sucks. Forget the running game. Let's go big 12 on their ass

Just embrace the suck.

I know one thing, all my black USC shirts are going in the trash can. It's garnet or white from here on out for me. You can take these blackout games and shove em. Tired of this gimmicky crap so the bookstore can sell a few tshirts.

What size do you wear?

Game... season.

Agree. I messed up again & sipped the koolaid. No more. Pessimism for the rest of the season.

kentucky

embarrassing

Exactly. We've lost 4 in a row to that juggernaut.

When's tipoff?

Unfortunately, unless you're talking about the women, ain't gonna be much fun there, either. We lost way too much to be good.

As long as he hasn't signed.... We have a chance... Maybe...

Nope. We won't get the players we need until we accept the bag man philosophy.

This!!

I swear in my 39 years i fukking give up we suck we'll always suck. We have a few good years here and there but when kentucky owns us thats just the last straw. Vandy is likely to start a streak on us next!
Fuk!!!!

co-sign

Roper isn't throwing the ball behind, in front of or over the receivers that are open. Plays work when the execution is there. They don't when it's not.

Roper isn't throwing the ball behind, in front of or over the receivers that are open. Plays work when the execution is there. They don't when it's not.
Roper is being paid $700K to design an offense and call plays that put us in a position to win. Maybe he should realize how inconsistent his QB is and adjust his playing calling to suit. Maybe he can figure out what's wrong with his scheme when we can't can 1 freaking yard on several key plays. (Hey Kurt, I'll help you out. Don't line up 6 yards behind the center on 4th and 1)

No but they do have a coach named roper..and his job is to coach..the kids dont coach themselves...so yes ..ropers play calling does suck and so does he
As far as I saw we had receivers open on most of the plays. Isn't that what play calling is about...having options? They were there...just have to hit them.

Roper is being paid $700K to design an offense and call plays that put us in a position to win. Maybe he should realize how inconsistent his QB is and adjust his playing calling to suit. Maybe he can figure out what's wrong with his scheme when we can't can 1 freaking yard on several key plays. (Hey Kurt, I'll help you out. Don't line up 6 yards behind the center on 4th and 1)
Maybe he should sit his ass on the bench and put Scar in. How do you think Coach Bentley would react to that?

Scheme worked....receivers were open, QB had time to find them and make the throw. Roper can't throw it for him.

As far as I saw we had receivers open on most of the plays. Isn't that what play calling is about...having options? They were there...just have to hit them.
I saw receivers open at times...just as I saw 4 plays with 2 receivers within 3 yards of each other. Based on what I've seen, Roper the OC doesn't come out on top of "Fill-in-the-blank DC" nearly enough.
But, regardless of his brilliant scheme...If a coordinator designs and calls plays that rely on players to execute in ways they can not consistently do, that is the coordinator's fault. Sure, he would have looked better at times tonight had Aaron Rodgers been lined up behind center. He would have looked smarter with the Dallas Cowboys O-Line. But, I would be impressed if he found a way to be consistently successful with what he has.

Maybe he should sit his ass on the bench and put Scar in. How do you think Coach Bentley would react to that?
If I were the OC, I'm not sure how much I'd be concerned with how the RB coach feels about QB personnel decisions.
That said, as far as we know, Jake is our best option at QB. I don't know if benching him is the right decision, but I do know that counting on consistent accuracy from him, or dominant blocking from our line, or consistently running shotgun on 3rd and 4th and 1 when it has failed every time before is all insane. I'm quite sure the offense Roper sees at practice doesn't magically perform at a higher level.

I saw receivers open at times...just as I saw 4 plays with 2 receivers within 3 yards of each other. Based on what I've seen, Roper the OC doesn't come out on top of "Fill-in-the-blank DC" nearly enough.
But, regardless of his brilliant scheme...If a coordinator designs and calls plays that rely on players to execute in ways they can not consistently do, that is the coordinator's fault. Sure, he would have looked better at times tonight had Aaron Rodgers been lined up behind center. He would have looked smarter with the Dallas Cowboys O-Line. But, I would be impressed if he found a way to be consistently successful with what he has.
What he has is i concurrency at certain positions. We have one RB that consistently looks for an opening...he didn't play tonight (that's on the RB coach). He has a QB who can make the throws as he showed on the first play to Deebo and the one to Or'tre, but is for the most part inconsistent (and if he's the best we have, what do you want Roper to do?).

What he has is i concurrency at certain positions. We have one RB that consistently looks for an opening...he didn't play tonight (that's on the RB coach). He has a QB who can make the throws as he showed on the first play to Deebo and the one to Or'tre, but is for the most part inconsistent (and if he's the best we have, what do you want Roper to do?).
First, as for the RB issue. I agree that Ty'son Williams should have been getting carries. And while the initial decision for that falls on the RB coach, all of the continued failures fall on Roper and Muschamp. The OC and Head Coach could have put Williams in even if Bobby Bentley didn't.
Second, what do I want Roper to do if his QB is inconsistent? I want him to do what he's paid to do; adjust and find a way to succeed. I coach basketball (at a far lower level than D1) and like to think I have plenty of well-designed plays and defensive schemes. But even my dumb-ass is smart enough to see what my players do well in practice and what they don't do well, and avoid asking them to do things they aren't good at doing.
Anyway, its been fun debating this with you. You've been civil and stuck to trying to make/support your points. Have a good night, and maybe we will do better next week.

F
First, as for the RB issue. I agree that Ty'son Williams should have been getting carries. And while the initial decision for that falls on the RB coach, all of the continued failures fall on Roper and Muschamp. The OC and Head Coach could have put Williams in even if Bobby Bentley didn't.
Second, what do I want Roper to do if his QB is inconsistent? I want him to do what he's paid to do; adjust and find a way to succeed. I coach basketball (at a far lower level than D1) and like to think I have plenty of well-designed plays and defensive schemes. But even my dumb-ass is smart enough to see what my players do well in practice and what they don't do well, and avoid asking them to do things they aren't good at doing.
Anyway, its been fun debating this with you. You've been civil and stuck to trying to make/support your points. Have a good night, and maybe we will do better next week.
First that is why we have position coaches. Wolford chooses the linemen, Bentley chooses the RBs, etc. If you take that away, you might as well fire them.

Maybe Bentley is doing fine throwing the ball in practice. But I guess we could go back to last year and make the simple play calls and not allow him to make adjustments at the line. Or we could allow him to make mistakes and learn from them. His accuracy is on him and his practice with receivers, unless you are willing to see what Scar can do.

F

First that is why we have position coaches. Wolford chooses the linemen, Bentley chooses the RBs, etc. If you take that away, you might as well fire them.

Maybe Bentley is doing fine throwing the ball in practice. But I guess we could go back to last year and make the simple play calls and not allow him to make adjustments at the line. Or we could allow him to make mistakes and learn from them. His accuracy is on him and his practice with receivers, unless you are willing to see what Scar can do.

SC has one good lineman and that's Stanley.. the other lineman who everyone thought was the best, is playing like he has checked out.....the other 3 are So Con talent

Last edited:
You guys have been hospitable to me on this thread. I'm not going to flame or troll at this point. UK football has been mostly bad for so long and we are fighting for respect.

Next week we play Florida at home. We last beat them in 1986. I was in school at UK and was there to see it. I just turned 52 on Tuesday and it makes me feel old to realize how long that's been. IF (huge IF) we can beat them it would be a huge step forward for us.

I know this won't make you feel any better but I definitely be pulling for you guys against UGA, UF, and UT. I know it's clichéd to say this but good luck the rest of the season.
You can pull for us, and we appreciate it, but I wouldn't go putting any money on us in those games.lol

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT