ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss keeps on rolling

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
Rivals 250 WR from Texas takes a visit and commits. Recruited by just about everyone. Missouri OL de commits after visit with Freeze & Co. Ole Miss not noted for academics, small fan base and stadium, relatively small obscure school, has been door mat in the SEC West for many years until the arrival of Hugh Freeze, an unknown coach at Arky State. Before these two commitments, Ole Miss ranked # 3 in the country. Have had top 10 classes since Freeze arrived. Something in the Oak Grove even better than Dabo's Pickens County operation. Are they meeting payroll like SMU in the days of the Pony Express?

I think this is a case of people seeing what they want to see.

Look. Recruiters are going to recruit. Some schools are easier sells than others, but not all coaches and staffs are equally good at recruiting.

Look at the kind of players Franklin brought to Vandy, which is a tough place to get recruits at (Stanford actually sells the academics, but I've seen no indication Vandy has been able to pull off the same trick).

Put Freeze somewhere else and he will continue to reel in recruits.

It's that simple. Recruiters are going to recruit. Look at Herman and the class he is bringing in to Houston after just one year.

You can recruit or you can't, and Freeze is a dynamite recruiter. You can actually make a case they do it better than the Alabama staff does.

Of course Freeze is not the best game day coach of all time. Sweeney isn't either, but he has enough sense to have assistants who can do that sort of thing at a high level.

And I'd actually say that is the way of the future. Your head guy has to be a relentless salesman and push the brand. He really doesn't have time to watch a bunch of game film and make up game plans. My take is the way it has usually been done (looking for a hotshot coordinator who is some kind of ace playcaller or defensive guru) is probably not the best approach when you are looking at hiring a first time coach.

You want someone with demonstrated recruiting prowess who can manage people (and I'd say the two go together), and again who has enough sense to hire people who are good at those kind of details. Then let them do their thing as long as everything is moving forward. If not, then you go to the next coordinator or position coach.

Put Freeze here at South Carolina or Kentucky, and he would pull in the same kinds of guys.

No idea how Muschamp will actually do as an on the field coach this fall. But I am expecting a bang up recruiting class. All the signs are there, he takes it serously, and this staff is by far the best set of recruiters we have had. Ever. And when I say bang up, I think we will finish top ten next year (assuming we can offer 20+ scholarships).

And it really doesn't matter whether we have some kind of break out season next year. We could finish 6-6 and they will still pull in the players.

Fans seem to think that something like giving up 70 points in the Orange Bowl or something kills recruiting. It really doesn't. It just plain doesn't matter. All you need is a location where the kid thinks he could enjoy going to school, and a staff of great recruiters. Heck having a crappy season is something that is used as a selling point "We need help everywhere, you have an excellent chance to play right away. But if you go to Alabama you'll sit on the bench for three years while all the other five stars get their one year in the sun, before you play."

Some places are behind the 8 ball, for example I don't think Nebraska is ever going to find their way back to what they were, as times have changed. But while there are a lot of places better than Columbia to spend around four years, it isn't like you are asking a kid to go to Manhattan, Kansas or some really remote rural area where it gets really cold.

Look. Recruiters are going to recruit. Some schools are easier sells than others, but not all coaches and staffs are equally good at recruiting.

Look at the kind of players Franklin brought to Vandy, which is a tough place to get recruits at (Stanford actually sells the academics, but I've seen no indication Vandy has been able to pull off the same trick).

It's that simple. Recruiters are going to recruit. Look at Herman and the class he is bringing in to Houston after just one year.

You can recruit or you can't, and Freeze is a dynamite recruiter. You can actually make a case they do it better than the Alabama staff does.

Of course Freeze is not the best game day coach of all time. Sweeney isn't either, but he has enough sense to have assistants who can do that sort of thing at a high level.

And I'd actually say that is the way of the future. Your head guy has to be a relentless salesman and push the brand. He really doesn't have time to watch a bunch of game film and make up game plans. My take is the way it has usually been done (looking for a hotshot coordinator who is some kind of ace playcaller or defensive guru) is probably not the best approach when you are looking at hiring a first time coach.

You want someone with demonstrated recruiting prowess who can manage people (and I'd say the two go together), and again who has enough sense to hire people who are good at those kind of details. Then let them do their thing as long as everything is moving forward. If not, then you go to the next coordinator or position coach.

Put Freeze here at South Carolina or Kentucky, and he would pull in the same kinds of guys.

No idea how Muschamp will actually do as an on the field coach this fall. But I am expecting a bang up recruiting class. All the signs are there, he takes it serously, and this staff is by far the best set of recruiters we have had. Ever. And when I say bang up, I think we will finish top ten next year (assuming we can offer 20+ scholarships).

And it really doesn't matter whether we have some kind of break out season next year. We could finish 6-6 and they will still pull in the players.

Fans seem to think that something like giving up 70 points in the Orange Bowl or something kills recruiting. It really doesn't. It just plain doesn't matter. All you need is a location where the kid thinks he could enjoy going to school, and a staff of great recruiters. Heck having a crappy season is something that is used as a selling point "We need help everywhere, you have an excellent chance to play right away. But if you go to Alabama you'll sit on the bench for three years while all the other five stars get their one year in the sun, before you play."

Some places are behind the 8 ball, for example I don't think Nebraska is ever going to find their way back to what they were, as times have changed. But while there are a lot of places better than Columbia to spend around four years, it isn't like you are asking a kid to go to Manhattan, Kansas or some really remote rural area where it gets really cold.

I approve this message.

Franklins recruits at Vandy? Have you seen them play the last couple years? He made a living off of Bobby Johnsons recruits for a couple of years and then got out of Dodge before that house of cards fell.

As far as Ole Miss, Freeze knows what he has to do to attract talent to what has historically been a mediocre program. He likes making millions of dollars a year and knows if you don't get talent that isn't going to last very long. Bottom line is if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin. And probably aren't winning.

Reactions: GCMD2
There could be three Ole Miss guys in the first ten NFL draft picks this spring. Definitely in the top 15. Once you get the results and that happens you sell it to recruits and roll the snowball downhill. We seemed to have something similar started but it was an illusion. Wasn't backed up with hard work like Freeze and staff are exhibiting.

Ole Miss not noted for academics, small fan base and stadium, relatively small obscure school, has been door mat in the SEC West for many years

They have excellent academic traditions, especially in the liberal arts.

As for football, haven't they won three national championships. They had Archie Who. The Walk of Champions. The Grove. Ole Miss has a lot of football tradition. You just are ignorant of it.

I have no idea about the $$ wink wink, and wont go there, but their needs to be a upstart Ole Miss type program in the SEC East and it should be us!! Muschamp is working towards that.

Reactions: USCAndy
They might like the scenery, cough cough.
Nope, there is just a very small college town surround by..... nothing!.

The Grove is soo over rated. Most universities have four times to "grove".

Visiting teams stay at a hotel in Tupelo a hour away because there are not decent hotels in Oxford.

I know the scenery you are referring to is a different type of green.

Reactions: GCMD2 and USCRBCOCK
Nope, there is just a very small college town surround by..... nothing!.

The Grove is soo over rated. Most universities have four times to "grove".

Visiting teams stay at a hotel in Tupelo a hour away because there are not decent hotels in Oxford.

I know the scenery you are referring to is a different type of gree
n.
More the "five foot two, eyes of blue" variety of scenery.

In the ideal world what you say is true. In years to come, we will say "now we know how Hugh and Dabo recruited so well".

Rivals 250 WR from Texas takes a visit and commits. Recruited by just about everyone. Missouri OL de commits after visit with Freeze & Co. Ole Miss not noted for academics, small fan base and stadium, relatively small obscure school, has been door mat in the SEC West for many years until the arrival of Hugh Freeze, an unknown coach at Arky State. Before these two commitments, Ole Miss ranked # 3 in the country. Have had top 10 classes since Freeze arrived. Something in the Oak Grove even better than Dabo's Pickens County operation. Are they meeting payroll like SMU in the days of the Pony Express?
money talks quite a lot, especially on that side of the conference

treadwell.jpg

Rolling out what? The $$$$$$$$$ . Go Cocks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT