ADVERTISEMENT

One band or artist that is extremely overrated and one band grossly underrated

Not hating on him, but Lang Lang is overrated. Enormous talent and technical facility that is practically unrivalled, but sometimes the pyrotechnics get in the way of making good musical sense.

Hélène Grimaud is underrated. She can play anything in the repertory with sensitivity and grace, but her Brahms is especially noteworthy.

Overrated: The Beatles. Not saying that are not great but aint nobody that good.

Underrated: Blood, Sweat, and Tears. One of the most interesting horn band ever. Skip the singles listen to the album cuts. Best Tuba solo in Rock (probably the only too).

As far as metal, hair metal, hard rock or whatever I never thought of Poison as overrated because I always thought critics hated them too, but I know they got the popular vote. I know in the yearbook(s) from 88/89 to 90/91 or so favorite groups were always Poison, U2, and Def Leppard for sure, then whoever else. From that same era, I second Skid Row, and of all those bands, I think Tesla might’ve been the most musically proficient, and somewhat underrated, but they killed it, and Frank Hannon is still a BA guitar player.

Underrated: Vince Gill. The man has the most beautiful voice in popular music, no matter what the genre. Here he is with Sting:

KISS was great in the the 70s,”felt like they were capable of more
I see what you’re saying here. 3 things probably kept them from this. Gene and Paul didn’t want to use outside song writers, they found a formula that started making them tons of $ so they stuck with it, and Ace and Peter started living the stereotypical rock star life style.

Saw Kiss in late 70s. Not great musicians but great rockers and showmen.

I was a HUGE MTB fan back in the day. I walked out of their concert mid song number 2 a few years back, Doug Gray was plastered!

Had a good friend in MTB for 26 years. Last time I saw them around 2011-12, Doug Gray’s voice was gone. He had throat surgery and never the same. Great band in the day though.

Over rated: Metallica
Under rated: Kansas
Kansas was the first band I ever saw live. I was 15 or so. First time I ever smelled pot too. I think it was at the Township. They were a bit past their prime. It was around '85. But they are stellar musicians.

Reactions: cadcock
Overrated Garth Brooks, I mean dang how cheesy could 1 guy be ?
Underrated Aaron Tippin, yes he went to Blue Ridge 10 years before me. But seriously, he is a very underrated song writer.
I hear you, but I think "If Tomorrow Never Comes" is one of the greatest romantic country songs of all time.

Reactions: cfbfan15
Over: Bay City Rollers

Under: The Cranberries
I wouldn't say Bay City Rollers are over rated, not totally sure if they should be rated under/over at all.
.They were a teen idol band, and like all the other teen idols bands before and since, they release bubblegum pop, not meant to be taken seriously.
They were just there for a brief blip of time,

Reactions: jeff2001
I wouldn't say Bay City Rollers are over rated, not totally sure if they should be rated under/over at all.
.They were a teen idol band, and like all the other teen idols bands before and since, they release bubblegum pop, not meant to be taken seriously.
1st concert I ever went to. I was like 6
S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y. NIGHT. LOL
I agree they were not over or under rated . They were just around for a couple of years.

Pick one each and explain why you don’t like the overrated band and post a video of your underrated band to illustrate why they’re underrated .

Overrated ; Journey . I hate everything about them . I hate the songs , hate the arrangements and overproduction . Amazing amazing musicians but I cringe every time Journey comes on the Radio .

Underrated : Big Wreck . Best band most people have never heard of . Ian Thornley is one of the best talents in the world . If Chris Cornell was also a guitar god you have Ian Thornley . Incredible , incredible band . Look forward to the responses . I’m sure we will have some disagreements

May get killed on this one but to me far to overrated is Johnny Cash, he couldn't sing and his songs are not good.

Underrated: Three doors down.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Overrated: U2, Beatles & REM (I freakin' HATE REM) EDIT: I forgot to include Nirvana as overrated.
Underrated: The Temperance Movement, Blackberry Smoke & The Backsliders

Last edited:
Oh I agree...I was just thinking of some teen idol band to post...of course they were AWFUL...it was my sister who liked them...I grew up listening to KISS...

That song should be in consideration for one of the most underrated.
Who in the world does blues in a minor key with those chords/riffs? Lead guitar solo is outstanding.

Yeah the live version of that song from the Song Remains the Same movie is absolutely ridiculous. I think it’s by far one of the best Zeppelin Songs . Jimmy is just wailing and Plant’s vocals on that song are just nuts . Crazy song .

Reactions: Flameout12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT