ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is for sure Shane is a real Gamecock!

It looks like Clemson doesn’t have a free forum and I think this is why. If you want talk about their teams and program you have to pay money monthly. Maybe if some of them watched the press conference today they would feel different about Coach Shane Beamer.
My mind was not changed. He had no head coaching experience before the press conference, and he had none after the press conference. We could of hired hired Napier or Chadwell, but we picked a guy with no head coaching experience. Typical of Ray.

Reactions: cadcock
Sad to read all this. Short of Vince Lombardi being reincarnated and coming here, most would not be happy. Whether you wanted Beamer or not, this is the new reality. I suggest you fully support him now. You always retain the ability to say you saw the disaster coming later if that ends up being the case. Maybe you are right, maybe Tanner is right. Nobody really knows and that's just the inconvenient truth.

If you are watching this conference-- you can say what you want about Beamer but he is a Gamecock. He sounds like he watches games and roots for us even if he wasn't the coach. He is SC all day.

When I heard his kids were doing Sandstorm I say we will win a Championship!
And that ought to make him a winner right?

I am not sure i buy that. It sounds good and in no way can be fact checked, but If he had the time to do that, it just tells you he wasn't as involved in the game prep. The amount of film these guys watch on the upcoming opponents is pretty heavy, i am surprised he would have had the time.
Oh, I see u also have trouble operating a dvr

• Haha
Reactions: USCBatgirl21
For the love of all things Garnet and Black...some of y'all just need to crawl into a hole and never come out again, and certainly not when we start winning. Y'all the WORST!
I seem to remember Javon Kinlaw saying the same thing not too long ago. This confirms it, because if Batgirl says ya’ll the worst then ya’ll the damn WORST!

What did they say about Dabo when he was hired at Clemson? I don't remember anything being said like the way you just described Beamer!!!
Football has changed. The CEO thing used to be unusual. I see no reason why Beamer can't bring stability. We should be a top 25 program. We just have to be patient.

Reactions: USC75Grad
For the love of all things Garnet and Black...some of y'all just need to crawl into a hole and never come out again, and certainly not when we start winning. Y'all the WORST!
Bat, again, we’re dealing with some on here who “may not have some of the necessities to be, let's say”.....a bright bulb.
Look forward to seeing yer group of derelicts in the fall.........oh, keep up that 5:30 yoga crapola:)

I have no clue how good of a head coach Beamer will be, no one does. But man he is so much more personable than Muschamp, I literally cringed at the shit WM was saying in his first couple of press conferences interviews.
I imagine this will help in recruiting as it seems like it has worked for him(SB) in the past.

Reactions: Robhawk29
I am not sure i buy that. It sounds good and in no way can be fact checked, but If he had the time to do that, it just tells you he wasn't as involved in the game prep. The amount of film these guys watch on the upcoming opponents is pretty heavy, i am surprised he would have had the time.
Rigggghhhttt because most coaches spend 23.5 hours a day doing prep and watching film, sleep for 15 minutes and spend 15 minutes commuting to and from the office.. There is not time for a LIFE! Wait- he has KIDS AND A WIFE? Clearly lacks the dedication necessary to win! Hobbies and interests outside of the team he is coaching for? Loser! Fire him... Must mean he was not important enough to be needed 24/7 by his team!

SMH- wouldn’t have time to let his DVR record a 30 minute coach’s show and watch it when he is off work? 🙄 the lengths some of ya’ll will go to make up stuff about the guy.... Shameless.

The reason is because it is another terrible hire by the AD.
No it was not. You are assuming it will result in failure which is a 100% Loser mentality. “Well we always lost so I guess we always will”... This hire makes a lot of sense and he is a great fit here. Hiring a coach is about more than their record at a previous school. Nobody- not you, me, Beamer or Tanner knows how well he will do here, so you need to stop acting like you know it was a bad hire when you most certainly do NOT. Not the hire YOU wanted? Fine, that is valid. But speaking in absolutes about your opinion is unacceptable.

After watching the entire announcement and press conference, I just want to go on the record:

It is well established on here that I do not think Beamer was the best candidate for the job. I thought Chadwell was the obvious pick among the candidates most often mentioned. I am terribly worried that we will be right back here in 5 years looking for a new coach.

Having said that, I am very happy for Shane Beamer, personally. I like him as a man, I believe he is completely sincere, I think he has a passion for Carolina and Columbia, and I am proud of the fact that he's not afraid to invoke God and the power prayer. I will always pull for the Gamecocks, no matter what, but I will also happily pull for this man. If I knew every candidate on our short list of prospects would lead us to success, Beamer would definitely be my first choice. I really REALLY want him to build us into a winner.

The reason is because it is another terrible hire by the AD.

only in the eyes of a small faction of the base. National media and a majority of the fan base are applauding the hire. this one is much better than received than muschamp

Last edited:
Again, people that talk the loudest about sports on the internet (or really any topic), usually put little thought into anything that comes out of their mouths. There is a lot that goes into leading a college program. Carolina is a particularly tough job. It is more complicated than looking at the Top 25 and picking out a coach that is at a program that is not as "good" as USC.

I actually don't care one way or another. I don't see any reason to think Beamer will be successful as he has 0 credentials for a P5 head coaching position, but I don't see any evidence that he'll fail either. He's a very low cost risk that we know basically nothing about other than the fact that old players like him and he's sat in the same room with some good coaches. It doesn't mean he'll be a good coach or a bad coach. We don't know, and I hope he'll be a success (but I do think defining success as consistent 10 win seasons, occasional East titles, and rare CFP appearances is very unrealistic, especially given the lack of high school talent right now in the state and nearby competition).

But you're the worst sunshine pumper who is regularly disrespectful to everyone who disagrees with you. Like here, it makes sense people are disappointed in an unknown entity, given Tanner's poor track record and the fact that maybe the hottest name on the market in 90 miles away in the same state (whose team would kill USC right now). And I remember you pumping up Muschamp and trying to scold people who didn't like him, so don't try to rewrite history now. This has been your MO for years.
Nothing wrong with being an optimist and pulling for your team through thick and thin. Beamer hasn’t even started yet, and some here are willing to damn him and send him to the other side of the earth. Come on people! This is the team I chose long ago to pull for, and it always will be. Let’s get behind Beamer and support him and the team, instead of taking cheap shots at each other.

After watching the entire announcement and press conference, I just want to go on the record:

It is well established on here that I do not think Beamer was the best candidate for the job. I thought Chadwell was the obvious pick among the candidates most often mentioned. I am terribly worried that we will be right back here in 5 years looking for a new coach.

Having said that, I am very happy for Shane Beamer, personally. I like him as a man, I believe he is completely sincere, I think he has a passion for Carolina and Columbia, and I am proud of the fact that he's not afraid to invoke God and the power prayer. I will always pull for the Gamecocks, no matter what, but I will also happily pull for this man. If I knew every candidate on our short list of prospects would lead us to success, Beamer would definitely be my first choice. I really REALLY want him to build us into a winner.
I can go with that. Chadwell and his whole staff was the best choice. There is a reason that they didn't come here, and I think that it is because a better job awaits the whole staff. I'm supporting Beamer until there is a reason not to support him.

Reactions: slufstuff
No it was not. You are assuming it will result in failure which is a 100% Loser mentality. “Well we always lost so I guess we always will”... This hire makes a lot of sense and he is a great fit here. Hiring a coach is about more than their record at a previous school. Nobody- not you, me, Beamer or Tanner knows how well he will do here, so you need to stop acting like you know it was a bad hire when you most certainly do NOT. Not the hire YOU wanted? Fine, that is valid. But speaking in absolutes about your opinion is unacceptable.
Considering who he had to choose from, at least two different head coaches with winning records, or an asst coach with no head coaching experience. Tanner picked the asst with no experience. That makes it a bad hire. Of course nobody knows if Beamer will win here. The same can be said about Napier and Chadwell, but between the three main candidates Tanner picked the one with the least credentials.

Again, people that talk the loudest about sports on the internet (or really any topic), usually put little thought into anything that comes out of their mouths. There is a lot that goes into leading a college program. Carolina is a particularly tough job. It is more complicated than looking at the Top 25 and picking out a coach that is at a program that is not as "good" as USC.
What are the things Assistant Coach Beamer brings to the table that makes him the best choice over Napier and Chadwell ? Two head coaches with strong connections to this state.
Program not as good as USC ? If we played Coastal Carolina right now, they would embarrass us.

only in the eyes of a small faction of the base. National media and a majority of the fan base are applauding the hire. this one is much better than received than muschamp
There were plenty of cheerleaders on here the day Muschamp was hired. I do not recall anyone in the national media predicting ahead of time that he would fail again. Ray's second time selecting a coach, he could of hired a head coach with a winning record, but he chose the one guy on the short list with no head coaching experience.

Come on dude, he is a Hokie, not a problem but let’s live in the real world. Shane lived in Blacksburg for over 20 years, he has had a cup of coffee in SC.

My dad and two older brothers graduated from tater U. I grew up going to games and being a tater fan. Now I pull for them to lose in tiddlywinks. Make no mistake...I love the University of South Carolina. I am sure Beamer likes VT a bunch. He should. But one doesn’t exclude the other. (Except in my case:D)

There were plenty of cheerleaders on here the day Muschamp was hired. I do not recall anyone in the national media predicting ahead of time that he would fail again. Ray's second time selecting a coach, he could of hired a head coach with a winning record, but he chose the one guy on the short list with no head coaching experience.
There were plenty questioning the hire then. Florida's boards were also shocked with our pick. They predicted that he would work hard, get good recruits and have an awful offense. They at least got the last part right. They also said we would have decent players when we fired him after 4 or 5 years. We have some but there are gaping holes in some positions. While Beamer was not my first choice at least the headlines are not the same. with Muschamp I felt the Florida boards were right and long term we would be firing him. Hopefully Beamer will get it done. There are more articles like this.

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...cle_3ba4b2a2-280b-11eb-a6b0-43eb83500ab1.html

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/south-carolina-football/will-muschamp-hire-a-mistake-some-say/

South Carolina's Risky Hire of Will Muschamp Has Little Chance to Pay Off
bleacherreport.com/articles/2596260-south-carolinas-risky-hire-of-will-muschamp-has-little-chance-to-pay-off

Last edited:

Then you were not paying attention, many in the media questioned the hire, big time. As many have said, but you can't seem to grasp, there was not home run hire. Napier has his faults, Chadwell has his, as does Beamer. To me the biggest thing Beamer has going for him vs the other two is he knows what it takes to win and be successful here.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Then you were not paying attention, many in the media questioned the hire, big time. As many have said, but you can't seem to grasp, there was not home run hire. Napier has his faults, Chadwell has his, as does Beamer. To me the biggest thing Beamer has going for him vs the other two is he knows what it takes to win and be successful here.
Hiring a coach with zero head coaching experience is a reason for concern. Good thing they have a learn while you earn program at USC.

There are hundreds of thousands "real" Gamecocks.
I just hope and pray we hired a "successful" Gamecock.

This is a fundamental difference I'm seeing in our fanbase split. Some of us recognize that both Napier and Chadwell are both highly likely to become big time/long term successful , sought after HCs in D1 football. Our admin. took the huge risk on a much more unknown candidate and it appears they did so being OK with winning 7 football games per year. Those two guys were HR hires. They were swing for the fence/maybe catch an Urban Meyer, PJ Fleck, Hugh Freeze, Malzahn type as a young coach and hopefully hold onto him.

This is a fundamental difference I'm seeing in our fanbase split. Some of us recognize that both Napier and Chadwell are both highly likely to become big time/long term successful , sought after HCs in D1 football. Our admin. took the huge risk on a much more unknown candidate and it appears they did so being OK with winning 7 football games per year. Those two guys were HR hires. They were swing for the fence/maybe catch an Urban Meyer, PJ Fleck, Hugh Freeze, Malzahn type as a young coach and hopefully hold onto him.

one good season and everyone is all on Chadwell's nuts. Will ask again, how many knew about him before this season?

As for Napier, I would have liked him as well, but he is far from a sure thing.

At this point, you are not even worth talking to, enjoy being bitter.
Ray has selected two head coaches now. The 1st was fired at his only other head coaching job. The 2nd has no head coaching experience. Just asking why this is such a great hire. You think that's a bad thing to do?

Ray has selected two head coaches now. The 1st was fired at his only other head coaching job. The 2nd has no head coaching experience. Just asking why this is such a great hire. You think that's a bad thing to do?
Look up a few posts, great hire, maybe/ maybe not. I don't think we would have gone wrong with Napier or Beamer as I said.

Two other things to note, Beamer has been with 3 first year coaches who took over a program, who all went on to succeed. That experience will help him a lot down the road. As he has had great success coaching in all three phases of the game.

Last edited:
one good season and everyone is all on Chadwell's nuts. Will ask again, how many knew about him before this season?

As for Napier, I would have liked him as well, but he is far from a sure thing.
Admittedly...I may be the uncommon fan...but I knew about him when he was at N. Greenville. I am always on the look out and pay attention to new takes on offenses that actually work....and when people are doing/combining things that nobody else is doing. This is why I knew about him. But....whether you knew about him or not...his resume can't be denied. He's won with MUCH less everywhere he's gone...and never not found ways to win. Competitors have tried copying him the last couple years, and it hasn't worked. H#ll CC hired him just to stop having to deal with playing him. Doesn't make me special that I knew about him a while ago...many others recognize the resume and talent, too.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Look up a few posts, great hire, maybe/ maybe not. I don't think we would have gone wrong with Napier or Beamer as I said.

Two other things to note, Beamer has been with 3 first year coaches who took over a program, who all went on to succeed. That experience will help him a lot down the road. As he has had great success coaching in all three phases of the game.

He was acting HC at VT for a month when his father was ill. He beat Cincinnatti in a bowl game as head coach. So far he's undefeated. Words, predictions, skepticism, or even optimism on our part will have no effect on our team winning or losing.

As with any new HC, right now Shane Beamer is a blank slate as HC other than checkmarks for sincerity and enthusiasm. The man honestly believes he can win here sooner as well as later. I choose to be optimistic until I have reason to despair over something that has already happened.

One of my sayings is, "The glass is neither half full nor half empty, it just needs to be topped off. So get the bartender, drink up your cynicism or optimism and let's go!"

I doubt Shane would ever want to coach in the shadow of his father's legacy at VT.

USC is truly his dream job. I want Frank to come out of retirement and coach our special teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT