ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I hate NC got the $1.6 billion Toyota plant. SC needs to be more aggressive in these matters.***

There are so many competing battery manufacturing plants being built all over the country right now (have you seen the massive plant in Commerce, GA!!??) that most will eventually close. The infrastructure Bill subsidizes these plants but just like Solyndra and others, most will go under. Typical liberal thinking will end up wasting taxpayer money and end up in corrupt politicians’ (sorry for the redundant wording) pockets through lobbyist practices.
In the long term, you might be proven correct. But for now, let my community have one of these plants today, one that is owned and operated by an automaker, and we'll take our chances regarding the future. Toyota itself will internally consume enough batteries to keep that place in N.C. running to one extent or another.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockgun
Exactly! We have Mercedes and Volvo in the Lowcountry. And it's made traffic in the Summerville area a million times worse than it ever was.
And Boeing at Aviation Avenue.
BMW in Greenville.

But yes, let's lament that we didn't get Toyota.
It is a battery plant, not an auto manufacturing facility.

But they don't rank very high in standing among the most highest wages per state. SC is still at the bottom of the latter when it comes to income per capita.
NC is only approximately $2500 better than SC. Per paycheck that really doesn't amount to much. If you're on a bi-weekly pay schedule, that's only a $96 difference per paycheck, the majority of which will be eaten by taxes.

SC at $45,314
NC at $47,803

They are both in the bottom 10 in the Nation.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
NC is only approximately $2500 better than SC. Per paycheck that really doesn't amount to much. If you're on a bi-weekly pay schedule, that's only a $96 difference per paycheck, the majority of which will be eaten by taxes.

SC at $45,314
NC at $47,803

They are both in the bottom 10 in the Nation.
But, if the wife and husband both work that is $5,000 extra per year. $5,000 per year extra per year is a significant difference in one household. Pro rate that out over 10 years and that's obviously $50,000 per house hold. That could be the difference in whether a child gets to go to college or not or even pay for a large portion of the cost of a college education.

But, if the wife and husband both work that is $5,000 extra per year. $5,000 per year extra per year is a significant difference in one household. Pro rate that out over 10 years and that's obviously $50,000 per house hold. That could be the difference in whether a child gets to go to college or not or even pay for a large portion of the cost of a college education.
Yes, the gross numbers look great. But when you take increased taxes and increasing obligations each year into account, it's not nearly that much, as I mention above.

Yep — and fossil fuels will be needed to make those products and to power those batteries in them.
We all likely have battery powered tools of some kind. It takes some prime mover aside from wind or sunshine to generate electricity to power the battery charging devices.

I live in NC. FWIW, the 'Yota plant will be building batteries, not assembling cars as far as I know. I suspect there will not be as much support industry sprouting up like we see in Spartanburg with BMW.

^^^ This.

It's a lithium battery pack manufacturing facility, not an automotive assembly plant.

It is odd, though, that Toyota would build it 450 miles from their closest automotive assembly plant - that's an un-needed logistics nightmare.

Unless they plan to build an EV assembly plant in close proximity in the not-too-distant future....

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
There's no harm in more industry in SC. I take issue with saying we need to be more aggressive, as if we aren't doing our job. It's not at all fair to imply SC isn't doing what's needed just because one company went to NC this time, with all that we have in SC already, and all that is coming to SC. I think in the last week alone I've seen 3 announcements of companies opening shop in SC. Not necessarily a "big name" like Toyota, but I think SC is holding its own pretty well when it comes to luring industry, both big and small, here.

I was part of the Bridgestone startup in Aiken County in 1998/1999. I have not worked for Bridgestone since 2009 but they have opened up another plant in Aiken since I have left. GO COCKS

USCALUMNI

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
^^^ This.

It's a lithium battery pack manufacturing facility, not an automotive assembly plant.

It is odd, though, that Toyota would build it 450 miles from their closest automotive assembly plant - that's an un-needed logistics nightmare.

Unless they plan to build an EV assembly plant in close proximity in the not-too-distant future....
But Toyota is dropping $1.6 billion into a local economy, that's huge. Does everyone get that! It's not that SC doesn't have other nice facilities but the state does need all the help it can get. Just think, what $1.6 billion could do in some of the poorer areas of SC.

But Toyota is dropping $1.6 billion into a local economy, that's huge. Does everyone get that! It's not that SC doesn't have other nice facilities but the state does need all the help it can get. Just think, what $1.6 billion could do in some of the poorer areas of SC.

Very valid point.

I think people are making the point that we've done well but we can't get them all. N.C has a lot to offer in terms of metropolitan areas alone. Charlotte alone, with its large airport, is something we cannot match. Even many of the businesses we attract are near Charlotte. That state has twice our population, excellent infrastructure, and several airports that offer nonstop flights to the major cities and even foreign countries.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Manufacturing spread out over the US because they want Congressional support.

Exactly! We have Mercedes and Volvo in the Lowcountry. And it's made traffic in the Summerville area a million times worse than it ever was.
And Boeing at Aviation Avenue.
BMW in Greenville.

But yes, let's lament that we didn't get Toyota.
and the new walmart distribution facility going up soon! can’t wait for 1000 more trucks to head to the wando terminal everyday!

I think people are making the point that we've done well but we can't get them all. N.C has a lot to offer in terms of metropolitan areas alone. Charlotte alone, with its large airport, is something we cannot match. Even many of the businesses we attract are near Charlotte. That state has twice our population, excellent infrastructure, and several airports that offer nonstop flights to the major cities and even foreign countries.
Exactly! SC has still done well for our small little state. I simply don't like it when it's implied that we haven't done so because that's simply not true.

Reactions: TAV31 and king ward
I get your point but I don't think the area of NC the plant is being build has anything on us. To your other point, SC needs to get busy and build the infrastructure needed to compete with NC and GA. We aren't going to beat Atlanta but we can and should be able to compete with a lot of other areas of GA.

I get your point but I don't think the area of NC the plant is being build has anything on us. To your other point, SC needs to get busy and build the infrastructure needed to compete with NC and GA. We aren't going to beat Atlanta but we can and should be able to compete with a lot of other areas of GA.
Are you ready to pay the gasoline taxes they pay?

Are you ready to pay the gasoline taxes they pay?
Since I live in NC I'm already paying the gasoline taxes. SC needs to take a look at their roads and make some serious improvements. When one crosses the SC state line from the NC side it's a total embarrassment to see how poorly SC roads are maintained.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Since I live in NC I'm already paying the gasoline taxes. SC needs to take a look at their roads and make some serious improvements. When one crosses the SC state line from the NC side it's a total embarrassment to see how poorly SC roads are maintained.
Well, if you're already paying for better roads and getting them, that's all a person needs to know right there.

Well, if you're already paying for better roads and getting them, that's all a person needs to know right there.
I've lived in NC for 48 years but still consider myself a South Carolinian and want the best for the Palmetto State since I was born and raised in Greenville, SC.

Reactions: king ward
But have we done well enough?
3 plants actually making cars.
Numerous boat manufacturers.
Building planes.
All the industries mentioned in this very thread.
Top 10 in foreign investments.

Perhaps we're in the process of landing something bigger than just making batteries. As King said, we can't get them all, but we've done pretty damn well. And continue to do pretty damn well.

Reactions: chief2791
3 plants actually making cars.
Numerous boat manufacturers.
Building planes.
All the industries mentioned in this very thread.
Top 10 in foreign investments.

Perhaps we're in the process of landing something bigger than just making batteries. As King said, we can't get them all, but we've done pretty damn well. And continue to do pretty damn well.
But, two of those car manufacturing companies are very small in terms of employees. How many people do the boat manufacturers employee?

But, two of those car manufacturing companies are very small in terms of employees. How many people do the boat manufacturers employee?
It's not just about employment numbers (SC's unemployment rate is less than that of NC btw). It's also about the impact to the local economy. These industries in SC have done a great deal for the local economies that they support, and will continue to do so. As mentioned previously, these plants have also brought supporting industries. The plants assemble the cars. They still have to get parts made. Some are being made local, which again, adds to the economy of the area. Good Lord - just the growth around Nexton/Volvo in Summerville alone is amazing.

I get it. You want SC to do well. We all do. We've missed out on some, and landed some that we honestly didn't think we had a snowball's chance in Hell getting. My father worked for years in Economic Development for SCE&G, and I have many friends who worked in that industry and still do. We're doing good. Some things just can't be put out there yet.

We all understand what a boost it could have been for the economy. No one is discounting that. We take issue with your implication that SC isn't doing well at all because we didn't get one battery making plant.

Last edited:
Reactions: hplatts

the far left lane on I-77 runs out too early heading south from Charlotte. It needs to be extended another 2-3 miles. If they started today, it would be too late.

The interstate in that area is better than most in South Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT