ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I hate NC got the $1.6 billion Toyota plant. SC needs to be more aggressive in these matters.***

First I've heard of this. Where in NC will it be located? I'd assume the triangle area? On a slightly different note. If they have tours of this plant I strongly encourage everyone to take one. I toured the factory in Ky and it is amazing. They said it takes 21 hours to build a Camry and 11 of those are in the paint room. They also showed us an area approximately 75ft x 75ft with racks of palletized engine and transmission assemblies. I'd guess there were at least 500 assemblies. They said by the end of the day all of them would be installed in a car. Really amazing.
Edit to add; Just looked it up. It's going to be near Greensboro and it's a lithium battery plant. Probably won't have the same appeal for a tour. But I still recommend touring the Ky plant. It's worth the trip.

Related to Toyota: I was told by a Toyota salesman, when I was having my Rav4 serviced, that Toyota was going to stop making the Avalon in 2022. That really surprised me. I used to have an Avalon. It's the best car I have ever had.

Reactions: Elgringo
We have more freaking stuff than we need! Signed, every person who lives in the lowcountry!
Exactly! We have Mercedes and Volvo in the Lowcountry. And it's made traffic in the Summerville area a million times worse than it ever was.
And Boeing at Aviation Avenue.
BMW in Greenville.

But yes, let's lament that we didn't get Toyota.

Not sure it would matter.

A lot more engineers and such in the Greensboro and central North Carolina. Our success recently likely hurts us a bit.

Exactly! We have Mercedes and Volvo in the Lowcountry. And it's made traffic in the Summerville area a million times worse than it ever was.
BMW in Greenville.

BMW is actually in Spartanburg County. It is amazing what it has done for Spartanburg Co. along with other surrounding areas. Lots of other businesses that make things for BMW, restaurants you name it. Best thing to ever happen to this area. Alot of people making a great living that otherwise would have been impossible here.

Not intending for this to be political but more a statement of the local workforce situation. The article where I looked up the location of this new plant said Biden is encouraging companies to bring more jobs to the US. Meanwhile, no one can get any help. Fast food jobs advertising 12, 14, 17 and even $20 per hour for unskilled help. No need to bring jobs if we can't fill them.

Personally I wouldn't mind another plant from a major company in SC, I don't see the harm in that. I feel like we could use something in
or around Horry County.
There's no harm in more industry in SC. I take issue with saying we need to be more aggressive, as if we aren't doing our job. It's not at all fair to imply SC isn't doing what's needed just because one company went to NC this time, with all that we have in SC already, and all that is coming to SC. I think in the last week alone I've seen 3 announcements of companies opening shop in SC. Not necessarily a "big name" like Toyota, but I think SC is holding its own pretty well when it comes to luring industry, both big and small, here.

There's no harm in more industry in SC. I take issue with saying we need to be more aggressive, as if we aren't. It's not at all fair to imply SC isn't doing what's needed just because one company went to NC this time, with all that we have in SC already, and all that is coming to SC. I think in the last week alone I've seen 3 announcements of companies opening shop in SC. Not necessarily a "big name" like Toyota, but I think SC is holding its own pretty well when it comes to luring industry, both big and small, here.
I have no opinion on whether SC pushed hard or this or not, just thought it would have been a good opportunity. Big named companies such as Toyota bring in a lot more well paying jobs and would help keep top in state talent from feeling the need to have to go elsewhere to have a career.

I have no opinion on whether SC pushed hard or this or not, just thought it would have been a good opportunity. Big named companies such as Toyota bring in a lot more well paying jobs and would help keep top in state talent from feeling the need to have to go elsewhere to have a career.
Nobody is discounting the advantages of having big, and small, industry in SC. But OP is implying SC is doing nothing to lure industry because one company went to NC. Nothing could be further from the truth. Given that we already have 3 car companies within our borders, maybe we're looking at other big industry so that we have varying options for local talent that may not be interested in the auto industry.

Nobody is discounting the advantages of having big, and small, industry in SC. But OP is implying SC is doing nothing to lure industry because one company went to NC. Nothing could be further from the truth. Given that we already have 3 car companies within our borders, maybe we're looking at other big industry so that we have varying options for local talent that may not be interested in the auto industry.
I wish NC would take Boeing too.

Reactions: Tmac069
Living in the upstate and traveling regularly to the lowcountry, I’m always passing tractor-trailers loaded with new BMWs and huge tires headed for the ports. BMW and Michelin produce massive numbers of cars and tires and ship them around the world. The upstate I-85 corridor is a manufacturing Mecca.

Living in the upstate and traveling regularly to the lowcountry, I’m always passing tractor-trailers loaded with new BMWs and huge tires headed for the ports. BMW and Michelin produce massive numbers of cars and tires and ship them around the world. The upstate I-85 corridor is a manufacturing Mecca.
Every BMW SUV that is sold around the world is built right here in SC.

And damn, I'd forgotten about Michelin being here.

Not intending for this to be political but more a statement of the local workforce situation. The article where I looked up the location of this new plant said Biden is encouraging companies to bring more jobs to the US. Meanwhile, no one can get any help. Fast food jobs advertising 12, 14, 17 and even $20 per hour for unskilled help. No need to bring jobs if we can't fill them.
There is a huge difference in a $14/hr part time job with no benefits and a $14/hr full time job with benefits. There are a lot of jobs out there right now in that range with better work environments than fast-food. That’s one of the things that comes when you start seeing more industry move into an area.

Reactions: rogue cock
There’s also Bridgestone-Firestone in Aiken.

How do we build another interstate when the ones we have now are crumbling? Besides our state legislature gave away all our money to the billionaire owner of the Panthers so he could have a new interchange on I-77 in Rock Hill.
That will be sorely needed with the additional traffic. On one side, the exit will directly feed the Panthers HQ’s/compound, and the other side will directly feed business parks loaded with many massive distribution centers. It will alleviate city roads being used now and pay for itself in short order.

Reactions: uscalumni
BMW in Greenville.

I deal with the ports in Charleston and Savannah in my line of work, Charleston is owned by BMW, Mercedes and Volvo. I can definitely see the upside for Toyota to be in NC.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I deal with the ports in Charleston and Savannah in my line of work, Charleston is owned by BMW, Mercedes and Volvo. I can definitely see the upside for Toyota to be in NC.
Is Toyota exporting these cars they will make in NC or will they be just for the North American market?

Freeman boats are being built on Cypress Gardens road in Berkeley county. These are million dollar boats. And there's a 2 year waiting list. My buddy just got offered 100K to give up his position on the waiting list!!! It's insane. He started his operation in Mt P out of his garage.
Just one of many boating places doing well in Berkeley county.
Side note, I got in and messed around w Nick Saban's two scout boats he had made here. My roommate was one of the main lead guys there at the time, and I hunt/fish with the owners. I was so tempted to try and stick something USC on his boats, but I didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT