ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Where are the speed traps in SC?

Well, if you're going to invite threadcreep by citing a non S.C. place, I'll see you one Kiowa, Oklahoma, and raise you one Waldo, Florida.
Waldo, Fl.!!!! Been there, done that, will NEVER go back intentionally!!...

In 2012, Waldo was ranked #3 in a National Motorists Associationlisting of its "Worst Speed Trap Cities" in North America (with a population of less than 50,000).[7] As of 2 September 2014, the Florida Department of Law Enforcementwas conducting an investigation of Waldo's ticketing following allegations of ticketing quotas, with two police chiefs having been suspended.[8] As of October 1, 2014 the town's police force has been disbanded.[9] The city council vote was 4-1.[10]

In August 2018, the DMV officially lifted the designation of "Speed Trap" for the town of Waldo.

The city currently uses Alachua County Sheriff's Department as their assigned police force.

Also from the NMA...

South Carolina
Greenville (Worst Overall)
Greenville (Worst under 100k)

The Worst Speed Trap Cities In North America

Just thought I'd post the above. I wish, and perhaps they do, but I certainly wish they'd have an individual and thorough "per state" listing of such!

peace'n out!!

(Edited...) More From Here...

The Worst Speed Traps in Every State - Thrillist

17. South Carolina
Worst speed-trap city: Greenville
Most notorious speed trap: SC 151, through McBee
Total speed traps per 100,000 residents: 24.2
There are just over 20 miles separating Greenville and Spartanburg, SC's second-worst trap city, and both are well over double the state's per-capita average. In between the two cities is nothing but an airport, and BMW's North American factory. I'm sure that's purely a coincidence though.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Ridgeville, 43 mph only ticket I've paid since got my license in 1953. Have you ever heard this? In 1953 I was a runt my license was restricted to me having a cushion. Would like to know anyone one else, driver license instructor I ask didn't know about it. Guess not being a little ole lady I had to look over the steering wheel.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

In 2012, Waldo was ranked #3 in a National Motorists Associationlisting of its "Worst Speed Trap Cities" in North America (with a population of less than 50,000).[7] As of 2 September 2014, the Florida Department of Law Enforcementwas conducting an investigation of Waldo's ticketing following allegations of ticketing quotas, with two police chiefs having been suspended.[8] As of October 1, 2014 the town's police force has been disbanded.[9] The city council vote was 4-1.[10]

In August 2018, the DMV officially lifted the designation of "Speed Trap" for the town of Waldo.

The city currently uses Alachua County Sheriff's Department as their assigned police force.

Also from the NMA...

South Carolina

Just thought I'd post the above. I wish, and perhaps they do, but I certainly wish they'd have an individual and thorough "per state" listing of such!

peace'n out!!

17. South Carolina
There are just over 20 miles separating Greenville and Spartanburg, SC's second-worst trap city, and both are well over double the state's per-capita average. In between the two cities is nothing but an airport, and BMW's North American factory. I'm sure that's purely a coincidence though.
Hampton, Fl. (just above Waldo on 301) was even worse for awhile. Their predatory ticketing made the NYT. Although the town lies east of US 301, they annexed a few hundred yards of 301 to facilitate catching speeders. I think the Florida Attorney General has recently put them out of business. That whole belt down there, from Lawtey down through Waldo, was notorious for predatory ticketing.

Last edited:
Thought that one got shut down.
The state made them take down the machine that registered your speed and took a picture of your license plate and sent you a ticket by mail. They were nailing a bunch of people with that one. But the Ridgeland police still sit in the crossovers, though doesn't seem to be quite as much as they used to.

West Pelzer (hwy 8). Speed limit of 35 but don’t go .0001 over.
Unmarked Black Charger will getcha.

Duncan used to be one of the worst....not sure how they are know.
You’re right. Duncan will put their city officers on I-85 to make traffic stops. SCHP should be the agency writing speeding tickets out there. Duncan city PD should serve and protect in the city proper. There is no benefit for Duncan residents having their officers patrolling the interstate.

I assume that’s how much the cop needed to meet his quota but it was zero points. He was happy to tell me that along with it must be nice to have the weekend off as he had to work all weekend. What a pos......
I think the SC Supreme Court ruled that cities could no longer offer 0 points in lieu of a higher fine. The state gets no revenue from fines like that.

Right outside of Swansea on the way to North. I got a ticket for going 4 miles over the speed limit.

Fun Turbeville story. Circa 1992, driving east through Turbeville, I knew to go slow, on a two lane hwy I passed an elderly woman who was going like 20 in a 45. Driving towards me in the other direction was a local police car. I thought, this is quite awkward. Looking in my rear view, another car passed the same woman, and was uncomfortably close to the oncoming officer. I then thought, that guy's in trouble. About five minutes later, the officer pulled me over cursing. "You and your buddies behind you are being reckless!" Along with a few curse words I can't remember now. I tried to explain I really didn't know them, it didn't matter. I was ticketed for improper passing, supposedly across a solid line. About six months later at jury trial, my request, the officer told his version of the story, that I had improperly passed crossing a solid line. He also had an eye witness, someone working at the nearby maintenance shed, who claimed to see it happen. I had a chance to question them. I asked them both the same question, "was there anyone else involved?" They both said, "no, just you and the car you passed " I then gave my version, noting I hadn't crossed a solid line, and asking the officer to review his ticket book that day so he would see he wrote a ticket to me and another young person at the same time. When the jury said they believed me, he said "dammit" clearly in the courtroom. That was very satisfying, great memory. No hard feelings or disrespect to the fine men and women wearing blue. Their service is truly appreciated.

Last edited:
Just thinking of those driving during the holidays. As for me I’ll be in Jamaica, Beaches Ocho Rios. Anyone been there?

Yeah, my wife and I were in Ocho Rios during a cruise. To me Ocho Rios was as pretty as Hawaii but the Jamaicans were so obnoxious it was difficult to enjoy the area.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Ocho Rios - beautiful! I believe it was the Doms Rivers Falls (sp?) I navigated (with a guide) prior to consuming 2-3 Rum 'somethings'. Advice: go up those falls . . . sober!

Note: brace yourself for the little marketeers who will pester the crap out of you to buy something. It was worse than the Bahamas.

Try the Blue Mountain coffee - best in the world.

Been up those falls and it's beautiful. And I said basically the same thing about the Marketeers in another post. I had not read the entire thread before I posted.

Turbeville. Not so much Olanta the chief is now fired.
Good for him. I got stopped there. Wasn’t paying attention, so I asked the cop where he was hiding. Barney Fife wouldn’t tell me, it was like top secret. After he let me go, I rode back through just so I could see where the weasel was sitting.

Reactions: GamecockJL
Yeah, my wife and I were in Ocho Rios during a cruise. To me Ocho Rios was as pretty as Hawaii but the Jamaicans were so obnoxious it was difficult to enjoy the area.
Yes, you have to go through that F:LEA market to get to the falls..
Funny, I walkd in some dude gave me a "Necklace"... LOL, he was marking me apparently.. As we were leaving others left us alone, He found us.. I still didnt buy anything form him.. I did get some Cuban Cigars at teh resort, that is abou all i bought down there, well, amybe a couple T-shirts.

Also from the NMA...

South Carolina

peace'n out!!

17. South Carolina

There use to be a billboard on 301 about 5 miles before entering Lawtey and Waldo that said WARNING: SPEED TRAP AHEAD. As many times as I drove through there, I never was stopped but saw plenty motorist that were.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I was ticketed in Newberry on 26 many years ago and had to pay my fine at a liquor store in Prosperity .

I’m sure that was legit :)

Not in SC but Ludowici, GA. We always passed through there on the way to my Grandparents in Waycross, GA. Heard lots of stories as a child.

https://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/item/1023-the-ludowici-trap

Ludowici's nuts. I had occasion to be in court there once about 15 years ago and heard a police officer say on the stand that LPD had an unwritten rule not to cite locals for traffic offenses -- just out of county plates.

Sadly, the current Ludowici police chief was killed not too long ago for being outside his car at a convenience store trying to stop traffic while some idiot was running from cops.
Also killed was a retired soldier who happened to be in the wrong time.

https://www.wjcl.com/article/breaking-two-people-dead-after-police-chase-in-long-county/23244025

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT