ADVERTISEMENT

OT. William Perry today

He's 52 years old, the older you get the more difficult is is to lose weight. You have all the aches an pains just from getting up in age, then add that he is 400 plus pounds, and any injuries from his playing days. Every day must be excruiating for him.

I think this video is actually from a few years ago. This is before things got worse, and he almost lost his house, or whatever happened.

The Tillmanites used to brag that he could dunk a basketball when he played there. I just don't have the heart to say anything negative about him. He needs professional help.

Originally posted by bitemeiptay:
The Tillmanites used to brag that he could dunk a basketball when he played there. I just don't have the heart to say anything negative about him. He needs professional help.
yeah if he had a trampoline........what ever happened to his place in Aiken....does he still have it or did that get taken from him....something to do with back taxes i believe

Actually, it showed him dunking a football over a goal post one time. The cross bar on the goal post is 10' feet hight. And he did it flat footed.

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:
Actually, it showed him dunking a football over a goal post one time. The cross bar on the goal post is 10' feet hight. And he did it flat footed.
he obviously had a pair of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrWnahTiMo

For all his issues, he is just a big ole country boy who is friendly and not bitter about his circumstances in life. He didn't have good advice about his money but he sends just as happy as if he had a million. Maybe we should all be so content.

He is a really nice guy. Just has some health problems stemming from his playing days and sheer size. He lost alot of weight when when he was sick a few years ago. He almost died. His X -wife got the house on hwy 19 in the divorce but I am not sure if anyone lives there now. Its starting to get run-down. Poor location for it to, built across the street from a junk yard and next to a cemetary but it was his X-wife's families land. That was a big red flag there but he ignored it. Like alot of professional atheletes, he just made a few bad choices after his playing days were over.

I know he has done a whole lot to put himself in his situation, but I just can't dislike this man. I loved watching him play at Chicago. He is one of the very few former Clempson players I could really pull for after he went pro.

Originally posted by bogiecock:

I know he has done a whole lot to put himself in his situation, but I just can't dislike this man. I loved watching him play at Chicago. He is one of the very few former Clempson players I could really pull for after he went pro.
Me too.

In the past I worked with a former All American center from Virginia Tech, and when talking about tough guys he played in front of, William Perry was the first and only name mentioned.

Originally posted by bogiecock:

+1

No one had ever seen a player his size move like he could. He was a novelty of sorts back in the day at 300+ lbs. I remember when he caught a TD pass in a victory against Green Bay, and then HC Forrest Greg said in a post game interview, "Did you see Perry catch that TD? That was beautiful, wasn't it." Even in defeat, Greg had to admire and appreciate the athlete he was at the time. I was a USC student when he was at Clemson, and I don't recall any of us actually having anything to say bad about him. We all knew he was an exceptional player, and respected him for the way he played. Having said all of that, I got to see "The Fridge", George Rogers, and Hershel Walker all play against one another. Two Heisman Trophy winners and an All-American at the top of their game. Those were truly glory days, although I don't think we truly appreciated the magnitude if that at the time. I wish nothing but the best for Perry, and hope life gets better for him.

Originally posted by wallycock:
No one had ever seen a player his size move like he could. He was a novelty of sorts back in the day at 300+ lbs. I remember when he caught a TD pass in a victory against Green Bay, and then HC Forrest Greg said in a post game interview, "Did you see Perry catch that TD? That was beautiful, wasn't it." Even in defeat, Greg had to admire and appreciate the athlete he was at the time. I was a USC student when he was at Clemson, and I don't recall any of us actually having anything to say bad about him. We all knew he was an exceptional player, and respected him for the way he played. Having said all of that, I got to see "The Fridge", George Rogers, and Hershel Walker all play against one another. Two Heisman Trophy winners and an All-American at the top of their game. Those were truly glory days, although I don't think we truly appreciated the magnitude if that at the time. I wish nothing but the best for Perry, and hope life gets better for him.
Rogers and Perry did not play against each other in college. Rogers SR year was 1980 and Perry's FR year was 1981.

I've seen the video of him dunking over the goal post while at Clemson. Tater or not he plus William Devane on that defensive front were two nasty ball players. Danny could keep his weight under control. Because they were all scared to death of Danny. Fridge got the cash and Ditka couldn't keep his weight down.

He's a genuine good fella. I hope the best for him.

The high school I played for played Aiken high. William Perry was chiseled beyond anything I had seen in high school. During one of the games he got open on a breakaway and dunked the ball. Same game he had another attempt to dunk but one of my team mates fouled him just before liftoff, William did not care for the foul. William and I spoke a few times during high school and he was a genuinely nice guy. Hell I've put on a few pounds since.

Originally posted by hotshotcock:
You really hate to see a person that refuses to take care of themselves; the fridge is that guy...
I have seen many, many sporting events in my 60+ years with the greatest athletic feat in all of those events being pulled off by William. It was when he was playing football in high school. Aiken High was playing a very good Greenwood team. William is at middle guard. The Greenwood QB takes a snap and before he can get the ball from center and take one step back, William flies over the center, grabs the QB's jersey and slams him to the ground one handed. I honestly could not believe what I saw. It defied the laws of physics.

One eyed cock. William played at South Aiken not Aiken. If you watched an Aiken high game William was not in the game.
My wife is from Aiken and it is my adopted home. I was there during the recruitment of William and his brother. You would not believe, yes you probably would believe the things that Clemson did to get these kids. They were part of clemsux's and Ford's
downfall. Danny was there every day. New cars, money, jobs for family. Hell, the clemson supporters bragged about it said Carolina did not have enough money to get them. I don't know if we really tried.

I do feel sorry for him. We used to pass his house on 19 when we came back to visit Aiken, after we moved away. It was a nice house but with a junk yard and a cemetary next door it sorta lost something.

Percy with all due respect you are mistaken. William Perry played at Aiken High School. Tony Kitchins was from South Aiken. But William and Michael Dean played football and basketball at Aiken High. He was the best athlete I have ever seen for his size. Terry Kinard from Sumter was the best athlete I ever saw in High School basketball and football but the Perry's were only a step behind. I have seen him stand flat footed under a basket and jump and dunk it with an Aiken High Green Hornet Uniform on. I have seen the former head basketball coach at Brookland Cayce take a charge against him (when he was a BC Player) . He was told NEVER to try that again. William Perry either played for Coach Robert Grant or Cecil Atchley or both. They had to cut the legs of his already short basketball trunks so that his thighs would fit.

William's current life may not seem ideal to us, but I guarantee you one thing, the last thing William wants from anyone is pity.

Thanks to everyone for the classy posts about the Fridge's freakish ability. There are a few athletes, like Lattimore and Perry, who transcend the rivalry. Shame on the comments about Clemson paying the Perrys, though. That is a demonstrably false assertion.

Originally posted by simms2000:

Percy with all due respect you are mistaken. William Perry played at Aiken High School. Tony Kitchins was from South Aiken. But William and Michael Dean played football and basketball at Aiken High. He was the best athlete I have ever seen for his size. Terry Kinard from Sumter was the best athlete I ever saw in High School basketball and football but the Perry's were only a step behind. I have seen him stand flat footed under a basket and jump and dunk it with an Aiken High Green Hornet Uniform on. I have seen the former head basketball coach at Brookland Cayce take a charge against him (when he was a BC Player) . He was told NEVER to try that again. William Perry either played for Coach Robert Grant or Cecil Atchley or both. They had to cut the legs of his already short basketball trunks so that his thighs would fit.
Simms, I believe you are correct. I was at USC and my younger brother played for Spartanburg. They played Aiken in the playoffs so me and some frat brothers went over to watch (my brother was a D end and Perry was on the O line also). It was funny to watch how good this guy was. Anyway, I don't even remember a South Aiken high school and I'm pretty sure Perry played at Aiken High (or I was drunk that night and didn't notice the "South" part of Aiken's name
3dgrin.r191677.gif

It's hard not to root for the guy. No one should have to suffer from such serious health problems when he could a few decades before him that could be joyous. I hope he can pull it together.

Yes it was Aiken. I played high school sports against him. And, in basketball he dunked on us. He was obviously very athletic at his size.

OK guys, guess I am confused. South Aiken replaced Schofield. The Perry's lived in that area so I assumed they played there.
Silver Bluff came later and I don't know if that replace SA or not. Thanks for clearing that up.

Not that it matters but William Perry played and graduated from Aiken High (I know I played with him) and he graduated in 1981. His little brother switched (cause students were given a choice) to the new school at that time...South Aiken High School and graduated from there in maybe 1983 or 84. William was a freak of nature and did not have a weight problem until after high school. He never lifted a weight and on max day, he could bench whatever the bar could hold in 45 plates...that's why we affectionately called him "muscle head"...not sure if he liked it. He was also known as Anthony Perry until later in high school. He had many brothers and sisters and they all were very good athletes. A very nice family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT