ADVERTISEMENT

Our recruiting class

is very lacking in defensive lineman which we need desperately.

We have them 4 deep and loose 4. I think i see two comitts there plus some playerscoming along like Blackshear. I am not sure what is going on with Whitlow and Wideman.

Agree 100%. Championships are won with the defensive line. Look at bama, year after year they dominate the LOS with DL. It was also the key to success a few years back. To me this should be our #1 priority. Obviously nobody on the current roster is capable, or they would be playing already. I too wonder what happened to guys like whitlow and blackshear?????

We have them 4 deep and loose 4. I think i see two comitts there plus some playerscoming along like Blackshear. I am not sure what is going on with Whitlow and Wideman.

Tell me more about this loose 4 you speak of. Are you implying they're defensive ends playing wide 9 techniques or what?

Agreed we need d lineman in the worst way. Awful rushing the passer and stopping the run.

Agree 100%. Championships are won with the defensive line. Look at bama, year after year they dominate the LOS with DL. It was also the key to success a few years back. To me this should be our #1 priority. Obviously nobody on the current roster is capable, or they would be playing already. I too wonder what happened to guys like whitlow and blackshear?????

Whitlow was redshirted this season

Tell me more about this loose 4 you speak of. Are you implying they're defensive ends playing wide 9 techniques or what?

We loose Grifin, Lamin, English and Lewis. We redshirted Thompson, and Taylor and return Thomas and Smith. If we hold on to Webb we shoukd be better.

We really got after recruiting the DT position from 2012 through 2015.

5 guys total: Hood, Griffin, Lamin, Stallworth, Wideman

We loose Grifin, Lamin, English and Lewis.

Oh dear Lord.........

George-Costanza-Facepalm.gif

Reactions: 92Pony
Wow. Just hit me that we lose so much on the defensive line. Spurrier left nothing for Muschamp, I mean absolutely nothing. The reality of this dumpster fire is mind boggling. Spurrier should have walked away at the end of 2014. I truly appreciate what Spurrier did for us by coming here, but this is painful. Just hoping Muschamp can help us recruit our way out of this mess.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Wow. Just hit me that we lose so much on the defensive line. Spurrier left nothing for Muschamp, I mean absolutely nothing. The reality of this dumpster fire is mind boggling. Spurrier should have walked away at the end of 2014. I truly appreciate what Spurrier did for us by coming here, but this is painful. Just hoping Muschamp can help us recruit our way out of this mess.

Big names that did not pan out and Juco

I don't like to be dependent on this option, but I believe we are there.
totally agree, Jucos just make it harder. They almost never live up to hype and as soon as they are producing, they are gone. They are also used heavily in negative recruiting. "do not go to Carolina, you will be there working hard and they will just bring in a juco to take your job"

You know what else you don't see in that class? Many quality o-line recruits.

Yes and we still got to six wins. That's the positive spin at least. The way we played CU is the way many people thought we'd play every game this year. Turned out better than I thought for sure.

I noticed that though supposedly we are redshirting 6 o linemen. I don't have the time but if someone feels crazy they can post a scholarship breakdown of our o and d linemen that would be helpful. I too am concerned. I posted before that I am not sure what is worse our d or our o line. One coach is in his first year and the other is in his 7th (is that right). Seems like these two position groups would be absolute priority.

They have been lacking for last two years. Nothing better than a 5.6 in two years. I know the OL struggled this year but the cupboard could look crazy bare after next year.

Of the 7 in the '16 & '17 class, 1 has an SEC offer (Douglas - UF, Clemson, Penn St, Miss St, etc...) There are a few other with mid level ACC offers. All the recruits form 2015 had really good offer lists

Last edited:
The staff has to recognize this right....right? No def tackles in the class I don't think. Sigh.

QUOTE="JSpears5, post: 3016474, member: 19854"]They have been lacking for last two years. Nothing better than a 5.6 in two years. I know the OL struggled this year but the cupboard could look crazy bare after next year.

Of the 7 in the '16 & '17 class, 1 has an SEC offer (Douglas - UF, Clemson, Penn St, Miss St, etc...) There are a few other with mid level ACC offers. All the recruits form 2015 had really good offer lists[/QUOTE]

We have about 80 WR on scholly and committed. Can we take 25 OL and DL for 2018?!? Please?

(Obviously I'm being facetious, but, it almost feels that way.....)

I think we're getting some good athletic Linebackers in this class.

I agree really need to land 2 of the guys we are still in hunt for, Moore, Gray, and Drake, and they have started to recruit lightly recruited fairly new to football, basketball player to Tackle, Jordan Rhodes.

We need some Tackle prospects badly

I agree really need to land 2 of the guys we are still in hunt for, Moore, Gray, and Drake, and they have started to recruit lightly recruited fairly new to football, basketball player to Tackle, Jordan Rhodes.

We need some Tackle prospects badly
If we can get Moore and Gray that would be huge.

Reactions: rogue cock
According to the 2016 roster, here's what we return on the DL next season:

Keir Thomas DT 6'2'' 265 lbs. former 3 star
Daniel Fennell DE 6'3'' 235 lbs. former 3 star
Dexter Wideman DT 6'4'' 280 lbs. former 4 star
Boosie Whitlow DE 6'3'' 240 lbs. former 3 star
Griffin Gentry DE 6'1'' 246 lbs. former 2 star (it seems I remember he might be transferring?)
Jajuan Blankenship DE 6'0'' 265 lbs. not rated
Javion Duncan DE 6'0'' 260 lbs. not rated
Taylor Stallworth DT 6'2'' 310 lbs. former 3 star
Shameik Blackshear DE 6'4'' 265 lbs. former 4 star (a one time 5 star)
DJ Wonnum DE 6'4'' 240 lbs. former 3 star
Ulric Jones DT 6'5'' 300 lbs. former 3 star
Dante Sawyer DE 6'3'' 275 lbs. former 4 star
Aaron Thompson DT 6'3'' 271 lbs. former 3 star
Kobe Smith DT 6'2'' 305 lbs. former 3 star
Stephon Taylor DT 6'4'' 293 lbs former 3 star

Pretty thin in talent and size.

Griffin Gentry DE 6'1'' 246 lbs. former 2 star (it seems I remember he might be transferring?)

Took Clemson long enough to learn that lesson... Bowden loved the skill guys at the expense of the OL/DL and Dabo started off the same way. To stay decent, you have to take 3-4 guys every class on both the OL and DL. Lot's of misses and attrition (especially on the OL).

Reactions: king ward

Whats up with Wideman such a battle to get him and never hear anything about him good or bad

I'd be surprised if blackshear ever gets on the field for us again. I fully expect something to derail him again. Another arrest, grades, transfer or something. He's so talented I hope he gets it together but he seems like he makes bad desisions.

I'd be surprised if blackshear ever gets on the field for us again. I fully expect something to derail him again. Another arrest, grades, transfer or something. He's so talented I hope he gets it together but he seems like he makes bad desisions.
That's the spirit. But in reality by all accounts he has gotten his life together. He couldn't play much this season due to the muscle mass he lost after being shot. I'm sure he has and will get stronger both during this season and in the spring and summer.

This thread is really tampering down my enthusiasm for our defense next year.

True....but on the bright side I have laughed out loud on a few occasions while reading it. I guess at this point, I'll take a good laugh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT