ADVERTISEMENT

Players will be getting paid soon

The current system is fair. Average to below average scholarship players get a free education and several amenities. A free college education when you have no chance of going pro is a great deal. Above average to great players get a platform and exposure to show how good they are to the NFL. For playing 2-4 years and receiving exposure they couldn't get on their own, they have a chance to go to the NFL and potentially make lots of money. So that is also a good deal.

Some of you people have already ruined college football enough. Why are you trying to finish it off? Just let crooked boosters continue to compensate players like it should be.

Players do get paid.
Full scholarship
Free room and meals
Free healthcare
Free tutoring
Free spending money
Free dental
Free hoodie,shirt, pants ,gloves etc.
Free money under the table.

Reactions: AngloCock
This will be the beginning of the end of major college football. It will evolve into a minor league for the NFL and have no affiliation with colleges and universities.

I, personally, would like to see that happen. I certainly realize very few will agree with me but, I would prefer seeing athletes who play simply for the love of the game. Do it like the Ivy league. No scholarships, no free room & board, no recruiting visits/trips. I could even go along with still allowing the free education portion, since in the long run, everyone benefits by more people being educated. But, let the NFL/NBA/other sports establish their own minor leagues and quit holding this elusive carrot in front of these young athletes simply to create another income stream for the already mega-rich.

Players do get paid.
Full scholarship
Free room and meals
Free healthcare
Free tutoring
Free spending money
Free dental
Free hoodie,shirt, pants ,gloves etc.
Free money under the table.
I know athletes do get some value from a university, but for a lot of football and basketball players, let's not pretend that the University is actually spending tuition money on these kids. The classes and professors are already there, and athletes are just added to the roster.

This. I still say any player wanting payment should have to forfeit their scholarship and pay their own way in school. $60K+ a year will be very expensive if they wish to remain on the team. And academic standards should be more strictly enforced. Make the person an independent contractor, with stipulations on academic performance. Push out all the idiot divas and get in STUDENT athletes who want to play and learn.

I’m ok with making the rules restrictive as long as there is a meaningful choice like tennis golf and soccer. Why does Coco Gauff get to be a millionaire and Trevor Lawrence has to continue to wait?

It’s time for the NFL and NBA to allow these players to enter the draft and purge college athletics of players that are just killing time until they are old enough to turn pro.

Reactions: jonesz21
I’m ok with making the rules restrictive as long as there is a meaningful choice like tennis golf and soccer. Why does Coco Gauff get to be a millionaire and Trevor Lawrence has to continue to wait?

It’s time for the NFL and NBA to allow these players to enter the draft and purge college athletics of players that are just killing time until they are old enough to turn pro.

No high school player is anywhere near ready for the NFL. They would get slaughtered.

I think the NFL could be missing out on the thing they love the most...money...by not having some sort of minor league. I think there would be a good audience for an NFL minor league that had a handful of teams comprised of guys that may someday be in the league. They could be right out of high school....maybe they flunked out of college...maybe they spend a little time in college and felt it wasn't for them.

Maybe have it in the Spring/Summer, get a tv deal for it. Seems like it would pay for itself.

I think the NFL could be missing out on the thing they love the most...money...by not having some sort of minor league. I think there would be a good audience for an NFL minor league that had a handful of teams comprised of guys that may someday be in the league. They could be right out of high school....maybe they flunked out of college...maybe they spend a little time in college and felt it wasn't for them.

Maybe have it in the Spring/Summer, get a tv deal for it. Seems like it would pay for itself.

I think the XFL is the best hope for this. They have already said they will take college kids too young for the NFL. I am rooting for it to be successful.

If this goes through, I'm out of supporting USC and the GC, not that I'm against the university, but that I have ZERO interest in supporting, or watching, paid players. I won't attend the games anymore. The players are already getting compensated for who they are and their appeal and ability, with the draft. If they are somebody they get drafted in the early rounds and get paid substantially more. If they have no ability or appeal they don't get drafted. Before long, colleges will be in open auctions, bidding on the best "recruits". Like the draft, "recruits" will find out after the winner is announced where they are going to play football.

Another failed liberal thought process(and I am liberal about certain things). Somehow trying to convince people that players are being used. Sure the schools make money but it benefits ALL involved - they seem to forget that. Like others have said, if your`re a good enough high school player you want a college scholarship. They know most of them aren`t going to the pros but they all have dreams. They should use college to develop other skills, relationships, connections, etc. in case they aren`t one of the one that actually makes it to the pros. Nobody is forcing anyone to play football by the current rules. They will ruin it for everyone if we allow it. Wish the Steely Dan song would come true - what is the line from "My Old School"? "California....tumbles into the sea,,," I think we would all be better off if that happened. No offense to Hilinski and others from there who turned out ok but there are some lunatics out there(hello Maxine Waters, Gavin Newsome, don`t forget Nancy Pelosi, who hold important positions.

Reactions: king ward
Another failed liberal thought process(and I am liberal about certain things). Somehow trying to convince people that players are being used. Sure the schools make money but it benefits ALL involved - they seem to forget that. Like others have said, if your`re a good enough high school player you want a college scholarship. They know most of them aren`t going to the pros but they all have dreams. They should use college to develop other skills, relationships, connections, etc. in case they aren`t one of the one that actually makes it to the pros. Nobody is forcing anyone to play football by the current rules. They will ruin it for everyone if we allow it. Wish the Steely Dan song would come true - what is the line from "My Old School"? "California....tumbles into the sea,,," I think we would all be better off if that happened. No offense to Hilinski and others from there who turned out ok but there are some lunatics out there(hello Maxine Waters, Gavin Newsome, don`t forget Nancy Pelosi, who hold important positions.
I prefer Tool, Ænema. That song is exceptionally hostile towards California.
WARNING: SALTY LANGUAGE

Bingo. I think most of us do want the college game to stay amateur without paying players a salary. But that argument fails badly when it’s made by coach Dabo or Muschamp who is paid millions. Let them go pro whenever they want — that solves the ethical problem that truly does exist when someone like Trevor Lawrence’s only choice is to risk injury coming back for a third year to get paid 0, risking everything while doing nothing but insuring his coach gets another million $ raise. If you look at that from 20,000 feet it’s insane.

Bingo. I think most of us do want the college game to stay amateur without paying players a salary. But that argument fails badly when it’s made by coach Dabo or Muschamp who is paid millions. Let them go pro whenever they want — that solves the ethical problem that truly does exist when someone like Trevor Lawrence’s only choice is to risk injury coming back for a third year to get paid 0, risking everything while doing nothing but insuring his coach gets another million $ raise. If you look at that from 20,000 feet it’s insane.

Letting them go pro whenever they want is really the best solution.

Reactions: rogue cock
When a player sucks we can fire him like somebody on the job?
You can try, but you'll have to fight the CFPU(College Football Players Union). Oh yeah, we might not get to find out if they suck if they decide to go on strike because of their meager wages. If they start paying them, they should eliminate the special exemptions they receive to get into school. How many would be accepted if they weren't great at sports?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT