ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff best case scenario

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
OK, well the best case scenario is for Pitt to beat Clemson this weekend, but since that's not going to happen...

Bama must lose to UGA this weekend and then the playoff committee must remain sane and actually put 2 of the best 4 teams in the country in the playoff (Bama and UGA). Otherwise look for Clemson to destroy over-rated ND (and then pump their fists about beating another traditional powerhouse).

Here's the best scenario:
1. Clemson vs. 4. Bama
2. ND vs. 3. UGA

Oklahoma and Ohio State do NOT belong in the playoff, but look for one of them to get in if Bama loses. I would rather see one of them in rather than ND - who played no one and then doesn't have to play a 13th game.

OK, well the best case scenario is for Pitt to beat Clemson this weekend, but since that's not going to happen...

Bama must lose to UGA this weekend and then the playoff committee must remain sane and actually put 2 of the best 4 teams in the country in the playoff (Bama and UGA). Otherwise look for Clemson to destroy over-rated ND (and then pump their fists about beating another traditional powerhouse).

Here's the best scenario:
1. Clemson vs. 4. Bama
2. ND vs. 3. UGA

Oklahoma and Ohio State do NOT belong in the playoff, but look for one of them to get in if Bama loses. I would rather see one of them in rather than ND - who played no one and then doesn't have to play a 13th game.
I agree, If Ga beats Bama, Bama and UGA are in!!

Reactions: funktavious
Clemson fans already mitching and boaning about this scenario (which essentially happened last year).

"Alabama would not deserve it!!" i.e. "Damn I hope we don't have to play Alabama!!"
They know what lies ahead when the rubber meets the road and they can't hide behind the ACC or beat up on middle pack teams who are severely short handed on defense.

If I were them I would want Alabama. For the simple fact we can say you didn’t have to play them.

Guys, NO ONE wants to play Bama first game and give Saban, the GOAT a month to prepare - saw that rodeo last year. Much better second week, maybe injuries and shorter prep time. Btw, great game plan by last week by the staff. Bentley, WR and OL were tremendous, showed Tigers have a lot of work to do. Hope you finish strong with 8wins.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
Guys, NO ONE wants to play Bama first game and give Saban, the GOAT a month to prepare - saw that rodeo last year. Much better second week, maybe injuries and shorter prep time. Btw, great game plan by last week by the staff. Bentley, WR and OL were tremendous, showed Tigers have a lot of work to do. Hope you finish strong with 8wins.
Saban breaks down every team in the playoff, he doesn't spend his whole month on just one opponent.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Saban breaks down every team in the playoff, he doesn't spend his whole month on just one opponent.

I would care to venture that all team do. I even think I saw stuff where Clemson’s coaches broke down Alabama in the offseason. Then made a plan for the whole year to beat them banking on making it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecrumpton
I would care to venture that no team does. I even think I saw stuff where Clemson’s coaches broke down Alabama in the offseason. Then made a plan for the whole year to beat them banking on making it back.
The problem is how you beat Alabama this year, Clemson doesn't do well and that's pass defense. They can sell out for the run and blitz like BV loves to do but they will be burned worse than we burned them. You have to play man to man and win matchups with Alabama and Clemson can't win those matchups.

The problem is how you beat Alabama this year, Clemson doesn't do well and that's pass defense. They can sell out for the run and blitz like BV loves to do but they will be burned worse than we burned them. You have to play man to man and win matchups with Alabama and Clemson can't win those matchups.

Did not say they could. I was saying they prepared for them all year the year they beat them.

My completely unbiased opinion-

Clemson would pose challenges to Alabama's defense. Clemson could probably slow Alabama's run game. But... Tua would absolutely blitzkrieg their secondary.

Reactions: funktavious
Bama will skullfock Clemson. If we could hang that many points on them, think what Bama would do. And Clemson would be lucky to score2 td's against their D.

We play Georgia every year and Bama once every six years. And I hate UGA. Therefore, I choose to hope Bama beats them by 50 on Saturday and proceed to take care of business in the playoffs against the taters - first or second round matters little to me.

Just better for USC if UGA is not SEC champs and in the playoff every year.

We play Georgia every year and Bama once every six years. And I hate UGA. Therefore, I choose to hope Bama beats them by 50 on Saturday and proceed to take care of business in the playoffs against the taters - first or second round matters little to me.

Just better for USC if UGA is not SEC champs and in the playoff every year.
I totally get your point, but if Bama beats UGA, they'll likely face OK in the 1st round... which will be a really tough game that will weaken them far more than Clemson will be weakened by over-rated Notre Dame. JMHO

Best case is for the committee to send a message to ND that having a bye week when all the other qualifying teams play the best teams their conferences have to offer won't get you selected.

They know what lies ahead when the rubber meets the road and they can't hide behind the ACC or beat up on middle pack teams who are severely short handed on defense.
What team wants to play Ala? Tua has thrown 1 pass in the 4th quarter all year even in the vaunted SEC. Bama is the clear favorite....shocking. if Venables doesnt fix his issues at safety and the hurry up ND will beat Clemson.

What team wants to play Ala? Tua has thrown 1 pass in the 4th quarter all year even in the vaunted SEC. Bama is the clear favorite....shocking. if Venables doesnt fix his issues at safety and the hurry up ND will beat Clemson.
I think GA is more than happy to be playing Bama after last year.

if Venables doesnt fix his issues at safety and the hurry up ND will beat Clemson.
I agree. Based on what I saw Saturday night, I'm not at all sure that ND can't give Clemson a game. I say that not because I think ND is one of the 4 best teams in the country, but because had our defense not been, literally, the worst I've ever seen, we would have given Clemson a game.

At this point, I'm thinking a Clemson/Oklahoma game might exceed the LSU/A&M score without any overtimes.

Two good signs for Bama: The playoff committee left LSU in the top 10 and moved Mizzou into the top 25.

A top 10 win, on the road, and four top 25 wins -- by 20+ points --- is a strong resume.

BAMA might not make it if they lose to UGA. Why would the committee want a rematch for the Championship that would be a wash if BAMA prevails only weeks after UGA beats them?

Unless BAMA plays a REALLY bad game, there's little chance Clemson will beat them again. Saban had no idea how to deal with Watson (nor Manziel) and it took a Herculean effort from him to edge them. BAMA can easily shut down the run and Lawrence is no Watson.

UGA vs. Clemson is a total tossup.

That's right. We're depending on Pitt to set up the best possible scenario now. I have a feelin' they ain't up to it.
Pitt has a great RB. Clemson's run D is great. Doesn't set up well for the upset.

They are in unless they get blown out.

The fact that the committee left LSU in the top 10 is a good indication the committee is prepared to put Bama in with a loss, unless they get blown out.

LSU could even move up, if UCF loses this weekend minus their starting quarterback.

So apparently, the number one seed gets the call on where they want to play. I'm not exactly 100% sure on that, but if it's Bama it won't matter. They would certainly chose Miami and I do believe it's geographically closer than Ft Worth.

Clemson and Notre Dame would be interesting in the Cotton Bowl because Clemson, for once, would be at a crowd disadvantage in a playoff game. Clemson will be at a talent advantage, though. But who knows? If Clemson doesn't cover receivers, then anything is possible.

Alabama will likely be in even if they lose. However I think that is bull crap. Georgia should not have to beat them twice to win the national championship. If they beat them once in the post season that should be enough. I don’t care how good you are, you are not going to beat nick saban after you beat him and he has a month to prepare. I believe that even if he had average athletes. The championship games should be a play in game for the playoff.

I can understand the situation last year you had a one loss alabama against 2 loss teams. That makes since. But if you are comparing one loss champions over a one loss non champion, that just lost its championship, to me there is no comparison.

The eye test should not be the only evaluation and if Alabama losses and gets it l, they are saying that’s the most important part.

The fact that the committee left LSU in the top 10 is a good indication the committee is prepared to put Bama in with a loss, unless they get blown out.

LSU could even move up, if UCF loses this weekend minus their starting quarterback.
Who is UCF playing this weekend?

So apparently, the number one seed gets the call on where they want to play. I'm not exactly 100% sure on that, but if it's Bama it won't matter. They would certainly chose Miami and I do believe it's geographically closer than Ft Worth.

Clemson and Notre Dame would be interesting in the Cotton Bowl because Clemson, for once, would be at a crowd disadvantage in a playoff game. Clemson will be at a talent advantage, though. But who knows? If Clemson doesn't cover receivers, then anything is possible.

Ft. Worth is closer to Tuscaloosa than Miami. Also, Clemson did not have a crowd advatange in New Orleans last year.

The playoff spots are chosen by distance to that venue. So Alabama gets the closest to its home if they are #1. That’s ft worth. Miami is 100 miles farther than ft worth. They don’t get to decide it’s done by geography.

LSU could move up to what? Number 8 or 9? What difference will that make. Only 6 teams now have a legitimate shot at the CFP.

Alabama will likely be in even if they lose. However I think that is bull crap. Georgia should not have to beat them twice to win the national championship. If they beat them once in the post season that should be enough. I don’t care how good you are, you are not going to beat nick saban after you beat him and he has a month to prepare. I believe that even if he had average athletes. The championship games should be a play in game for the playoff.

I can understand the situation last year you had a one loss alabama against 2 loss teams. That makes since. But if you are comparing one loss champions over a one loss non champion, that just lost its championship, to me there is no comparison.

The eye test should not be the only evaluation and if Alabama losses and gets it l, they are saying that’s the most important part.
All Georgia had to do is not crap the bed against LSU - and they really did crap the bed, a really bad loss - and they would be in the same position Bama is in right now. So their predicament is their own fault. I keep hearing and reading the word "fair". People need to get over "fair".

Reactions: DarkCock

Where the four seeds will play is already settled. The question still hanging is who the four seeds will be and where will each be seeded.

LSU could move up to what? Number 8 or 9? What difference will that make. Only 6 teams now have a legitimate shot at the CFP.

It matters a whole lot, if Bama loses. Bama's best win is comparable to Ohio State's best win, Michigan. And Bama will have a much better loss.

Reactions: king ward
All Georgia had to do is not crap the bed against LSU - and they really did crap the bed, a really bad loss - and they would be in the same position Bama is in right now. So their predicament is their own fault. I keep hearing and reading the word "fair". People need to get over "fair".

If the argument is “Georgia should not have to beat Bama twice to win the national championship”, then the UGA-LSU game is irrelevant. I don’t understand your point.

Where the four seeds will play is already settled. The question still hanging is who the four seeds will be and where will each be seeded.

It can't be settled until they know who's the number one team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT