ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff best case scenario

Clemson fans already mitching and boaning about this scenario (which essentially happened last year).

"Alabama would not deserve it!!" i.e. "Damn I hope we don't have to play Alabama!!"
Allow me to interpret. "Bama is going to rip us a new one so we'd rather play anyone else first." I understand the sentiment. The honest fans will come right out and say that. My inlaws did at Thanksgiving dinner.

It matters a whole lot, if Bama loses. Bama's best win is comparable to Ohio State's best win, Michigan. And Bama will have a much better loss.

If you look at the criteria the “quality of the loss does not matter”. They have shown this time and time again. A loss is a loss. Case in point Clemson losing the year they won it all.

The only metric that Alabama would have over Oklahoma or Ohio state is strength of chedule. That’s is. No common opponents and no head to head. That only leaves record and conference championship.

All Georgia had to do is not crap the bed against LSU - and they really did crap the bed, a really bad loss - and they would be in the same position Bama is in right now. So their predicament is their own fault. I keep hearing and reading the word "fair". People need to get over "fair".

I agree. I'm not sure it's "fair" that Bama even has to play in a SEC Championship Game. But that's the way we determine the SEC champion: West Champ vs East Champ. Same goes for the playoff: the criteria is best 4 teams. Bama is one of the best four teams.

Reactions: king ward
If you look at the criteria the “quality of the loss does not matter”. They have shown this time and time again. A loss is a loss. Case in point Clemson losing the year they won it all.

The only metric that Alabama would have over Oklahoma or Ohio state is strength of chedule. That’s is. No common opponents and no head to head. That only leaves record and conference championship.

That Clemson team would not have gotten in, if the choice was between them and this year's Bama team with one (non-blowout) loss to the SEC Champion.

Alabama will likely be in even if they lose. However I think that is bull crap. Georgia should not have to beat them twice to win the national championship. If they beat them once in the post season that should be enough. I don’t care how good you are, you are not going to beat nick saban after you beat him and he has a month to prepare. I believe that even if he had average athletes. The championship games should be a play in game for the playoff.

I can understand the situation last year you had a one loss alabama against 2 loss teams. That makes since. But if you are comparing one loss champions over a one loss non champion, that just lost its championship, to me there is no comparison.

The eye test should not be the only evaluation and if Alabama losses and gets it l, they are saying that’s the most important part.
I think what they really want are the 4 best teams in the country and that would include Alabama. I for one have always felt like who you lose to should matter. If Alabama has 1 loss in the SEC Championship game to #4 UGA then that should carry some weight over a team like Ohio State who got destroyed by Purdue. The Oklahoma Texas game could be interesting, especially since OU already lost to Texas once this year. Oklahoma has scored a ton of points this year but their defense might be worse than ours.

Edit: Notre Dame is undefeated but their resume is similar to Clemson's. They're undefeated but their schedule is only a little tougher than Clemson's. They did beat Michigan early in the season when Michigan was breaking in a new QB, not so sure they could have done it later in the year. After Michigan, who is their best win? Syracuse? Northwestern? not exactly world beaters.

If the argument is “Georgia should not have to beat Bama twice to win the national championship”, then the UGA-LSU game is irrelevant. I don’t understand your point.
My point is that they had it within their power to be able to lose a close game in the SECCG and still be in the playoffs themselves. They blew that chance with a bad loss at LSU.

My point is that they had it within their power to be able to lose a close game in the SECCG and still be in the playoffs themselves. They blew that chance with a bad loss at LSU.

That is true but had nothing to do with the post to which you responded. Even if they had won at LSU, UGA would still be in a position of needing to beat Bama twice to win a national championship.

That is true but had nothing to do with the post to which you responded. Even if they had won at LSU, UGA would still be in a position of needing to beat Bama twice to win a national championship.
Well, it does in that I'm saying their predicament is their own fault. If two of the four best teams in the country have to play twice, so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT