ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Would anyone actually be happy with Muschamp?

Would you be happy with a Muschamp hire?

• Yes

Votes: 177 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 137 43.6%

• Total voters
It all depends on results. Would you be happy if Herman/Smart/Riley won 3-5 games/yr for the next 4 years? Didn't think so.
But you'll be happy with Will doing it and on here talking about "just give him more time! Please! It's not his fault!"

Reactions: gamecockrealist
If Gus felt the heat and left, Boom would be at the top of my list.

Boom would crawl from Auburn to Columbia for the job. And there is something to be said for being wanted.
Well turn up that seat and let's do a trade then! Gus for Champ, let's make that happen.

There are a lot of great coaches who didn't win big their first 4 years as a HC. I for one would not be upset if Muschamp came on board. Everyone deserves a second chance
I will acknowledge that sometimes very successful people fail in their first attempt at something and if Muschamp is hired, nobody will pull harder for him than I will. I hope he wins many national championships in Columbia. But to this idea that everyone deserves a second chance, that may be true, but why is it South Carolina's obligation to be the program to offer him that 2nd chance. What's the upside for Carolina? Are we getting him at a bargain price in exchange for giving him a 2nd chance? If he is successful, has he pledged his undying loyalty to the program in exchange for that 2nd chance?

Since when diid The University of South Carolina become "The University of Second Chances"? Hire someone who hasn't screwed up yet (like Riley); it's a better bet than someone who already screwed up twice....

Meh, I could take it or leave it. I mean, I'm not totally writing him off. My biggest problem is that it's not the sort of hire that will get anyone excited or turn around the negative momentum we've had lately. Rather than an electrified fan base and lots of positive press, reactions will range from "meh [shrugs shoulders]" to "outright opposition." That's not really what we need right now.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I will acknowledge that sometimes very successful people fail in their first attempt at something and if Muschamp is hired, nobody will pull harder for him than I will. I hope he wins many national championships in Columbia. But to this idea that everyone deserves a second chance, that may be true, but why is it South Carolina's obligation to be the program to offer him that 2nd chance. What's the upside for Carolina? Are we getting him at a bargain price in exchange for giving him a 2nd chance? If he is successful, has he pledged his undying loyalty to the program in exchange for that 2nd chance?
Well, that is a very good point. So good that I don't have an answer for you. I understand that we shouldn't be the team that he gets his 2nd chance to prove himself, but we're getting to the point where we are running out of options. There are other available coaches out there but do any of them have ties to the SEC like Muschamp? At least we will know that we're getting a good recruiter & a guy who wants to win.

I should say that I edited almost immediately afterwards; Bear Bryant did not have a losing record at Kentucky (he did have a really weird losing season in the middle and went 1-9 in his first season at Texas A&M, though). Point is, we won't know if Muschamp will be any good here until, you know, he coaches some games. And with that, I'm off to think/talk about basketball, since I obviously know more about that.

Not fair because they haven't always played 11 and 12 game regular seasons.
Aww come on big Rob, numbers don't lie. There is no perfect scenario or case that I can make for Muschamp. Just saying that other "great coaches" have failed in their 1st gigs at HC, & no matter how bad some try to bash him about how bad he did at Florida, he did have an overall record of 28-21 there. He just failed to hire the right OC.

Reactions: BigTomE
I should say that I edited almost immediately afterwards; Bear Bryant did not have a losing record at Kentucky (he did have a really weird losing season in the middle and went 1-9 in his first season at Texas A&M, though). Point is, we won't know if Muschamp will be any good here until, you know, he coaches some games.
That A&M squad that went 1-9 was his most favorite team he ever coached, the Junction Boys.

I should say that I edited almost immediately afterwards; Bear Bryant did not have a losing record at Kentucky (he did have a really weird losing season in the middle and went 1-9 in his first season at Texas A&M, though). Point is, we won't know if Muschamp will be any good here until, you know, he coaches some games. And with that, I'm off to think/talk about basketball, since I obviously know more about that.
True indeed & that's all I'm saying. Let's give the guy an opportunity to prove himself here before we bash him. I'm just trying to remain optimistic.

Record thru first 4 seasons as HC:

Saban: 28-18
Beamer: 17-26
Mack Brown: 12-33
Holtz: 21-23
Dantonio: 25-23

Muschamp: 28-21

First if all none of the above listed started off with a powerhouse program like Florida. They started off with bottom feeding programs and built up from there. He started off with a powerhouse program and got extremely worse each year. Stupid analysis your making.

It's dumb to compare records at different schools. A better comparison is to look at what a coach took over and how previous coaches at that school did.

Reactions: garnet4me
I have relatives at Auburn. They were pissed about re-hiring him in the first place. Cancelled a recruiting visit to interview. Failed at Texas, Florida and Auburn. What are we thinking? Plus, he is an out of control clown.

He may be a nut, but he's not a clown. Dablow's a clown, albeit a winning clown, but he's two very good coordinators away from being a sad clown. The near field is a bountiful harvest awaiting Dablow, but there are dark clouds on his horizon.

Record thru first 4 seasons as HC:

Saban: 28-18
Beamer: 17-26
Mack Brown: 12-33
Holtz: 21-23
Dantonio: 25-23

Muschamp: 28-21

Florida had won 2 national championships in the few years before Muschamp was hired so the analogy is not legitimate. Florida did not need to be "rebuilt".

He didn't win at UF as a HC. I just don't see how the results would be any different at South Carolina. Spurrier proved you can win at SC, but it is more difficult than winning at UF (much easier to recruit there). I wouldn't be happy with this hire if I was a member of the SC fan base.

Since when diid The University of South Carolina become "The University of Second Chances"? Hire someone who hasn't screwed up yet (like Riley); it's a better bet than someone who already screwed up twice....

I'm not completely disagreeing with you here, but it doesn't seem that the landscape of football coaches holds this program in as high regard as we do. If our top candidates are looking elsewhere (Herman, Fuente, Smart, etc.), then we have to look elsewhere as well.

He didn't win at UF as a HC. I just don't see how the results would be any different at South Carolina. Spurrier proved you can win at SC, but it is more difficult than winning at UF (much easier to recruit there). I wouldn't be happy with this hire if I was a member of the SC fan base.
But if you disagree around here they claim you aren't a season ticket holder and demand you burn your diploma. A real dictatorship we have going on here at USC.

Reactions: gamecockrealist
First if all none of the above listed started off with a powerhouse program like Florida. They started off with bottom feeding programs and built up from there. He started off with a powerhouse program and got extremely worse each year. Stupid analysis your making.

He started with a powerhouse "program/name"...........not a powerhouse team. Big difference. Urban Meyer faked an illness for a reason..........to get away cause he knew the next few years would be rough.

He started with a powerhouse "program/name"...........not a powerhouse team. Big difference. Urban Meyer faked an illness for a reason..........to get away cause he knew the next few years would be rough.
An advantage is still an advantage. Urban bailed when he couldn't find anyone to replace Tebow. He's about to bail on OSU because he sees the writing on the wall there too and Cleveland might come calling soon.

Reactions: gamecockblack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT