ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Would anyone actually be happy with Muschamp?

Would you be happy with a Muschamp hire?

• Yes

Votes: 177 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 137 43.6%

• Total voters
I will acknowledge that sometimes very successful people fail in their first attempt at something and if Muschamp is hired, nobody will pull harder for him than I will. I hope he wins many national championships in Columbia. But to this idea that everyone deserves a second chance, that may be true, but why is it South Carolina's obligation to be the program to offer him that 2nd chance. What's the upside for Carolina? Are we getting him at a bargain price in exchange for giving him a 2nd chance? If he is successful, has he pledged his undying loyalty to the program in exchange for that 2nd chance?
You won't get a bargain price. I have no clue how good he would do at USC or anywhere else as a head coach. He's a fantastic defensive coach! He also has some issues that cause him repeated problems. USC could and has done a whole lot worse fellas. I sat in WBS for all of Scott and Woods years. It isn't like we want him to leave as our DC, or wanted it anyway. He's a lot of trouble but he's a great DC and recruits very well on that side of the ball. If he got a great OC, he could do well. He probably won't do all that well, but he could. Ah hell, we have our own problems, you should console us. This is all backwards.

Reactions: USC1832
An advantage is still an advantage. Urban bailed when he couldn't find anyone to replace Tebow. He's about to bail on OSU because he sees the writing on the wall there too and Cleveland might come calling soon.
Urban seems to play every coaching situation like a fiddle. If he bounces to the NFL soon he will have played his last two coaching spots masterfully.

Reactions: Scuba_do
Ok finally a Muschamp supporter with an impressive post. Now this I can get behind.... great find sir
Could be more indicative of what they took over and when, but hey, it's all in how you look at it. Glass is half full amiright? It's true so

Urban seems to play every coaching situation like a fiddle. If he bounces to the NFL soon he will have played his last two coaching spots masterfully.
Urban doesn't know how to build a dynasty. He can move in somewhere new and bs enough great recruits for a couple of years but once the magic wears off and his bs doesn't work anymore he bolts. If you want a coach for two or three years then he's the man, after that he sucks.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Urban doesn't know how to build a dynasty. He can move in somewhere new and bs enough great recruits for a couple of years but once the magic wears off and his bs doesn't work anymore he bolts. If you want a coach for two or three years then he's the man, after that he sucks.
I won't deny that. You're telling the truth

First if all none of the above listed started off with a powerhouse program like Florida. They started off with bottom feeding programs and built up from there. He started off with a powerhouse program and got extremely worse each year. Stupid analysis your making.
Look dude, if you want to hate Muschamp then hate him. It won't change a thing. What will b*tching & complaining do? I won't lose sleep if the guy is hired nor will I get all worked up before the man coaches a game for Carolina. I choose to remain optimistic & let things play out.

This poll proves how this hire will split the fan base. Super job, Tanner. Really well done.

This is my biggest concern. The overall perception is going to be that Tanner blew this and it was a desperation hire. Now even Maryland and UVA and UCF have made hires.

This is my biggest concern. The overall perception is going to be that Tanner blew this and it was a desperation hire. Now even Maryland and UVA and UCF have made hires.
As with any hire... We will not know if it is bad or good for a few years. Anyone convinced it is a good or bad hire at this point is only fooling themselves...
Muschamp made some bad decisions at if that led to his demise down there. He may or may not have learned from it. If he learned we could be in for a helluva ride. If he did not we are a dumpster fire. However, any hire has those same chances. All are gambles and you hope that someone who knows how to coach makes the best bet possible.

This is tanners defining hire and knowing what I know of him trust his judgement far more in this matter than mine, my friends or acquaintances or anyone else.

So rather than pump him up or bash our supposed future coach, I will let it play out.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: USC1832
It all depends on results. Would you be happy if Herman/Smart/Riley won 3-5 games/yr for the next 4 years? Didn't think so.
How many games have their respective teams won this season? You really don't want to compare their current record with WM...

Defense wins championships... Our defense has really been horrible since we lost Clowney and that stellar class of defensive players.. We made Deshaun Watson look like a superstar because our defense has no depth and was incapable of stopping him after the first half of our game with Clemsux.. To compete in the SEC, we have to rebuild our defense first.. Muschamp is nasty and he will bring a different hard nose approach & winning attitude to the defense... If we can't stop the other team from scoring, how can we expect to keep the offense in the game.. I liked Hoke and I think he is a super nice guy, he just didn't bring the fire to the defense.. I think he meant well and seemed to legitimately want to try to do the best with what he had.. Who knows, could some one have done better this year?? None of us know... But one thing we do know is Muschamp is balls to the wall on defense.. He knows his job there.. We have to get the defensive side of our football team back first... We have an elite 11 quarterback coming in that finished second in the nation in that competition.. Hopefully he still will want to join our team... Muschamp will bring BIG defensive recruits with him... I along with others am not sold on who will coach the offensive side of the ball but if we cannot make a decent OC hire, why not let Shawn Elliott stay in some kind of fashion and fire our offensive players up... Between him and Boom, we would obviously have the most intense coaches in the SEC East... I am tired of watching teams run through our d line like we didn't even have anybody out there.. It has to be a team effort to get us back to winning like we all know this team can do... I guess we will all see very soon... Either way, we need to get behind this hire whatever it may be... I don't post much but I am always on here reading posts... I along with all of you, just want to see the GAMECOCKS play some serious SEC caliber football and play like we belong in the SEC...

First if all none of the above listed started off with a powerhouse program like Florida. They started off with bottom feeding programs and built up from there. He started off with a powerhouse program and got extremely worse each year. Stupid analysis your making.
Even Florida fans have said Meyer didn't leave much. That is one reason he left. Also, of the kids that were left, Champ had to get rid of the thugs. I think I read that Meyer had 36 kids arrested over 6 years. Is it easier to recruit to Florida? I'm sure it is, but if Champ can lock down SC, pick and choose players from GA, FLA and NC, he can get us back on track. When we were a good program, just a few years ago, it wasn't because our offense was so good, but because our defense was stout. We need defense and recruiting and we will be back

Reactions: BigTomE
Record thru first 4 seasons as HC:

Saban: 28-18
Beamer: 17-26
Mack Brown: 12-33
Holtz: 21-23
Dantonio: 25-23

Muschamp: 28-21
Muschamp was handed the premier program in the entire country with two dozen future NFL draft picks, including multiple first and second round draft picks. You're comparing apples and aircraft carriers.

Even Florida fans have said Meyer didn't leave much. That is one reason he left. Also, of the kids that were left, Champ had to get rid of the thugs. I think I read that Meyer had 36 kids arrested over 6 years. Is it easier to recruit to Florida? I'm sure it is, but if Champ can lock down SC, pick and choose players from GA, FLA and NC, he can get us back on track. When we were a good program, just a few years ago, it wasn't because our offense was so good, but because our defense was stout. We need defense and recruiting and we will be back
God in heaven. Eight players were drafted in 2013, including two first and one second round pick. That's better than any NFL draft class in USC history. Literally. How's that no talent? In fact, it's incredible talent.

Muschamp was handed the premier program in the entire country with two dozen future NFL draft picks, including multiple first and second round draft picks. You're comparing apples and aircraft carriers.
the simple fact that Maclewain has come in, in his first year and taken Champs players and got them to the SECCG tells me all I need to know. Maybe we can give Will 4 years to recruit and then kick him to the curb and wait on the next guy to do something with his players. 2020 will be the year of the Gamecocks!

Regardles of attrition, Meyer's previous 5 recruiting classes, averaged Top 4 nationally, prior to Muschamp. So, the Florida program Muschamp coached was more talented than most football programs. In fact, there was enough talent in the program for Muschamp to win 11 games in Year 2. But, Years 3 and 4 were bad. Excuses can be made for anything and everything, when things go bad. It is human nature to say, "it's not my fault" or "yes, but......". Even Muchamp, upon his firing said, he was given every opportunity to get the job done, but didn't. Let's hope for the best.

Looks like the poll,says 60 pct plus yes and this is coming from the worst type fans, message board fans. Pct. Would be much higher yes from the mom message board fans. Hmmmmmmm.

Looks like the poll,says 60 pct plus yes and this is coming from the worst type fans, message board fans. Pct. Would be much higher yes from the mom message board fans. Hmmmmmmm.
How do you round up 56.4 to 60?lol you can't even round 56.4 to 57.

There are a lot of great coaches who didn't win big their first 4 years as a HC. I for one would not be upset if Muschamp came on board. Everyone deserves a second chance
I mean Jesus Christ the guy went 7-1 and to the sugar bowl. His last year they had a winning record and made a bowl and brought in a top 5 class and he was fired. Give me a break. We won 3 ****ing games this year under spurrier and company. He is a massive upgrade for us

Reactions: NetworkX
God in heaven. Eight players were drafted in 2013, including two first and one second round pick. That's better than any NFL draft class in USC history. Literally. How's that no talent? In fact, it's incredible talent.
Glad you brought that up as it strengthens my point that the talent left by Meyer was thin, or at least not well coached, until Champ got there. In 2010 (Meyer's last year) and 2011 (Champ's first year) there were a grand total of 3 All SEC players on those two squads. During the same period other SEC teams had the following number of All SEC players: Ala 21; LSU 14; ARK 12; GA 10; USC 10; AU 9; KY 6; Vandy 6; Miss St. 4; TN 3 and Ole Miss 1. So the "loaded" with talent Florida team that Champ inherited had the second to the last number of All SEC players. However, all that turned around once Champ had a little time with the players and coached them up. In 2012, Sharif Floyd and Matt Elam, both first round picks in the NFL 2013 draft, were both All American and first team SEC. Jonathan Bostic, taken in the second round, was All SEC, as was Jordan Reed, taken in the third round. Floyd, Elam and Reed all left early for the draft, which impacted Champs worst year at Florida in 2013 when he was 4-8.
I get it that those of you who hate Champ are going to continue to talk about all the great talent and recruiting advantages Champ had. The fact is you still have to be a good recruiter, even at Florida, to get a good class, and even if you have a "good" class it has to be the type of talent that fits your system. Meyer's recruits, for the most part, didn't fit Champs system and the talented ones left early.

Has everyone forgotten there was a reason Urban felt it was time to SPEND TIME with his family??

Fact is Muschamp isn't going to come anywhere near the top 5 in recruiting classes at SC like he did at UF. That leaves it up to his coaching. OUCH!!! Probably one of the worst D1 coaches in the land.

Reactions: robertfootball
Fact is Muschamp isn't going to come anywhere near the top 5 in recruiting classes at SC like he did at UF. That leaves it up to his coaching. OUCH!!! Probably one of the worst D1 coaches in the land.
Time to start hoping and praying and jingling magic beads!

I suspect if we win, you all will be quiet as church mice and will be rah rah! If he loses you will be screaming "you should have listened to me because I knew it all along!"

I suspect if we win, you all will be quiet as church mice and will be rah rah! If he loses you will be screaming "you should have listened to me because I knew it all along!"
If you notice anything you'll see that all the Muschamp homers are the same bunch that were calling for Spurrier's head and bitched and cried all the time when things didn't go their way. They wouldn't know a good coach if Bear Bryant bit them in the ass. The ones on here complaining about the fans that don't share their opinion are always the first to bitch and they'll be the first to turn on Muschamp too, which is ironic because right now they want him so badly.

Vernon Hargreaves and Jonathan Bullard may very well both be first round draft picks. If we can get a staff in here to recruit like that how can you not want to give them a shot.

if he is hired, he'll have plenty of time to prove some of us wrong. I hope he does. Gamecocks for the W is the bottom line

Reactions: NetworkX
If you notice anything you'll see that all the Muschamp homers are the same bunch that were calling for Spurrier's head and bitched and cried all the time when things didn't go their way. They wouldn't know a good coach if Bear Bryant bit them in the ass. The ones on here complaining about the fans that don't share their opinion are always the first to bitch and they'll be the first to turn on Muschamp too, which is ironic because right now they want him so badly.

Hey, that's you!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT