ADVERTISEMENT

QB By Committee On Tap This Season

Ward Jr

Nov 7, 2021
Cockshut Lane
Based on Beamer's pressers, looking more like we'll be in rotation for awhile.

Could be a good thing with all new skill players on offense.

Find your gameday starter and try to keep defenses more honest.

If Lanorris isn't the savior people have touted all off season, it's going to be an awful season.

If Lanorris isn't the savior people have touted all off season, it's going to be an awful season.

I'm guessing any issue with Sellers right now revolves around decision making and that's why Ashford and others are in the mix.

In the brief action Sellers had last season, a couple of his big plays were actually busted plays/bad reads which happened to work out.

We'll have far inferior talent than many of the teams we'll be playing this season.

You can't be needlessly turning the ball over to further compound matters.

Scoring average is probably going to decrease somewhat as the quarterbacks gain experience. A lot of new players and new coaches that take time to develop cohesion together.

Do you have a metric we can allow for that, or is it just your Dr. Doom gut instinct?

Similar to your recruiting metric.

If we lose to them, they’re better coached. If we beat them, we had more talent than they did.

To me, this is concerning. That no qb is separating himself.

Maybe we have several good QBs? My guess is that the coaching staff is using the Old Dominion to see who performs best in gameday action, and then you're probably see a definitive starter announced going into the first SEC game (UK) the following week.

Maybe we have several good QBs? My guess is that the coaching staff is using the Old Dominion to see who performs best in gameday action, and then you're probably see a definitive starter announced going into the first SEC game (UK) the following week.
I seriously doubt that our problem is we have so much great talent we can't choose one.

I seriously doubt that our problem is we have so much great talent we can't choose one.

If you have two or more QBs who are performing equally in practice, it makes sense to sort out who is performing the best in gameday action. Fortunately, this year kicks off with an OCC opponent and allows for that window of opportunity.

Last edited:
IMO, rough quote by Shane below.

Our offense was anemic last season mainly because of the loss of key skill players to the NIL and injury.

Don't try to make it out to be something it wasn't.

Last season was no benchmark for success.

---------------------

“I feel good,” Beamer said. “Are we where we need to be? No. Do we have a first-round draft pick out there and an NFL quarterback like we did last year with Spencer (Rattler) and (Xavier Legette)? No. But we’re going to be good enough.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/south-car...-south-carolinas-offense-right-now-heres-why/

IMO, rough quote by Shane below.

Our offense was anemic last season mainly because of the loss of key skill players to the NIL and injury.

Don't try to make it out to be something it wasn't.

Last season was no benchmark for success.

---------------------

“I feel good,” Beamer said. “Are we where we need to be? No. Do we have a first-round draft pick out there and an NFL quarterback like we did last year with Spencer (Rattler) and (Xavier Legette)? No. But we’re going to be good enough.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/south-car...-south-carolinas-offense-right-now-heres-why/
Indeed. The offense was also anemic because we had no offensive line. As far as the transfer portal goes, I like what Coach Mike Gundy said to his players a few days ago: “shut up about wanting more money. Tell your agents to stop calling me until after December.” He also alluded to a change that would limit the portal opening until after Bowl season. I agree wholeheartedly; the FSU Bowl debacle is going to put an end to Bowls if they don’t fix it somehow.

Reactions: Ward Jr
If you have two or more QBs who are performing equally in practice, it makes sense to sort out who is performing the best in gameday action than the other. Fortunately, this year kicks off with an OCC opponent and allows for that window of opportunity.

The problem is everyone has been basing their optimism for this season on Sellers being 2010 Cam Newton. Turns out he's just slightly better than 2023 Ashford.

The problem is everyone has been basing their optimism for this season on Sellers being 2010 Cam Newton. Turns out he's just slightly better than 2023 Ashford.

Newton was a force but had a slew of playmakers around him that season. He also wasn't a great decision maker which plagued him in his NFL career.

If you have two or more QBs who are performing equally in practice, it makes sense to sort out who is performing the best in gameday action. Fortunately, this year kicks off with an OCC opponent and allows for that window of opportunity.
I understand that. But equally doesn't mean GREAT! It just means at the same level, whatever that is.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Beamer has announced that Sellers is the starter. Probably just trying to push the group to see if someone would step up and separate themselves as a solid #2.

Beamer has announced that Sellers is the starter. Probably just trying to push the group to see if someone would step up and separate themselves as a solid #2.

It's pretty comical how obvious it is that he actually reads the fan message boards.

It's pretty comical how obvious it is that he actually reads the fan message boards.
I’m not holding any hope for anything more than a 5-7 season, but I’ll be really glad when FSU and GA Tech kick it off on Saturday in London. I just love college football.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I’m not holding any hope for anything more than a 5-7 season, but I’ll be really glad when FSU and GA Tech kick it off on Saturday in London. I just love college football.

That’s the problem. I wish I didn’t care, but I absolutely love the sport and my Gamecocks.

Its so much fun when we are relevant.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
The game is in Dublin, Ireland and I'm excited to see the beginning of college football. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a bloodbath for GA Tech.

The game is in Dublin, Ireland and I'm excited to see the beginning of college football. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a bloodbath for GA Tech.
Yep, thanks for the correction. Totally agree about the chances for the Jackets.

That’s the problem. I wish I didn’t care, but I absolutely love the sport and my Gamecocks.

Its so much fun when we are relevant.
Sad to say that in the last 10 years we've been relevant probably 2-3 times by season's end (an 8 win season and a 9 win season come to mind). I'll be telling my future grandkids one day about the 5 peat over Clemson, SEC east win, and 3 consecutive 11 win seasons and they still may not believe me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT