ADVERTISEMENT

Question for USCbatgirl

From what I have been told, Sawyer is having some health issues as well.

Guys, we are playing in the best conference and we lost our Friday starter, our Saturday starter, we lost a guy who probably would have been our closer in Lawson. We lost a potential starter/reliever in Ridge Chapman and Bridges is having issues. I am leaving another out but I can't remember who, but what I'm saying is you just don't lose what we have lost and think it will be easy sailing, not in this conference.

Now the bright side is at this time next year all these freshmen that are thrown in the fire will have a season under their belt and we should be very deep in pitching.

Still believe Kingston will patch things together and see improvement just like last year.
Well said. Completely agree.

Travel ball is the debil! It (is often) ridiculously expensive, is not healthy for these kids playing year-round (I've seen numerous kids with arm trouble after beginning year-round ball), and is decimating the community-oriented rec-ball leagues. Jmo.
The decline of Legion ball amazes me. I loved those days, great coaches, great friends. And you played for your home town.

Travel ball is the debil! It (is often) ridiculously expensive, is not healthy for these kids playing year-round (I've seen numerous kids with arm trouble after beginning year-round ball), and is decimating the community-oriented rec-ball leagues. Jmo.
Correct in all respects.

How many of these pitchers have histories of arm problems? Are we not handling them correctly? Six arms down is both unusual and ruinous. I would like to blame somebody if possible.
of course you would

We need more than one person. We need at least six more good players. This team is pitiful. Kingston better hit the honey hole in this next recruiting class because we are awful.

Reactions: ole bowl guy
We need more than one person. We need at least six more good players. This team is pitiful. Kingston better hit the honey hole in this next recruiting class because we are awful.

Can you just imagine what this offense will be like without Olsen, Hopkins and Cullen next season?

Unless things somehow change for the better real soon, it"s hard to imagine that quality pitchers will want to join the Gamecock program wondering how the runs are going to be produced.

Hopefully the pitchers that are hurt come back stronger and better than they had shown in the past. I have not been impressed with Mod, Ridge showed some flashes last year but very inconsistent, and Bridges little promise only lasted 1 outing before he was back to getting roughed up. Don't blame our pitching woes on the injuries, those players weren't putting up great #'s before they went down, and it wasn't vs SEC teams

Yep....and then Mlodzinski (sic) went down with a broken foot and two other pitchers are having arm problems. Six pitchers down from what we were expecting.
I broke my 5th metatarsal a year ago. It's a pesky, nagging, little injury. I still feel effects from it. It's one of those freak injuries that can happen doing the most normal things. I broke mine just by rolling my foot on uneven pavement in my driveway. I'd rolled my same foot a million times prior with no issues. But that one time...

Just did the same to mine on my way to Augusta for The Masters. I'm now wearing a boot a good bit of the time. Painful injury.

every time I think of Mlodzinski's injury, I think of the old Dizzy Sean story. A lot of people don't even know who he is. He was a very good pitcher back in the 30's and 40's. Later he became one of the color commentators on the Saturday Game of the Week. Dizzy was famous for his twist on the English language. People "SLUD" into a base, they didn't slide. He also would call infield pop ups and lazy foul balls to the outfield, "cans of corn".

Well ole Dizz was pitching and a batter hit a line drive off his big toe. He had to be pulled out of that game as he could barely walk. I think he may have had a broken toe. He tried to tough it out and come back too soon. To deal with the pain landing after each pitch, he adjusted his motion. That led to arm problems and ended up ending his career. He pitched a few more years but never as effectively as before the toe injury.

That's what concerns me with any sort of foot injury. With "Mlod" change his delivery any and end up hurting his arm?

so can anyone list our pitchers who are out?

1. Mlodzinski SP
2. Lawson RP
3. Bridges RP

can't remember who 4,5, & 6 are. Just the ones named rocked our bull pen & the weekend rotation. It's amazing the number or freshmen we are pitching this year. One can only hope that will pay dividends the next couple of years.

There isn't much more he can do. We lost 3 arms to injury that basically decimated our weekend rotation. The guys we have are young. They need to mature, and the best way for them to do that is to keep being sent out there. As for Sawyer, he simply doesn't have it. But unlike hoping a hitter will hit his way out of a slump, you can't do the same for a pitcher. I think it's time to sit Sawyer and say "next man up". We can't add anyone to the roster, so we have to play with what we have.

I fully believe that Reid needs to be moved to Friday. We MUST get that first win on the weekend. And he gives us the best chance.

We can't just blame the pitching. Seems like are bats are silent, can't seem to get timely hits, and score with men on base, or even get pressure on the pitcher at times. Baseball was the one sport I look forward to watching because we use to be good at that...Not these days though.... I think that
the coaching staff needs to light a fire under our players, and have better game plans for our team and get them a better chance to win some series.

so can anyone list our pitchers who are out?

1. Mlodzinski SP
2. Lawson RP
3. Bridges RP

can't remember who 4,5, & 6 are. Just the ones named rocked our bull pen & the weekend rotation. It's amazing the number or freshmen we are pitching this year. One can only hope that will pay dividends the next couple of years.
Logan Chapman & Ridge Chapman come to mind. I also believe one freshman is redshirting with arm (maybe something else) issues.

We can't just blame the pitching. Seems like are bats are silent, can't seem to get timely hits, and score with men on base, or even get pressure on the pitcher at times. Baseball was the one sport I look forward to watching because we use to be good at that...Not these days though.... I think that
the coaching staff needs to light a fire under our players, and have better game plans for our team and get them a better chance to win some series.
When I made the comment A MONTH AGO, the biggest issue was the pitching. Since other issue are just a bad.

Reactions: 2001cock
When I made the comment A MONTH AGO, the biggest issue was the pitching. Since other issue are just a bad.

Just posted this in another thread:

Pitching is a problem, BUT not the biggest problem.

In SEC Play through 4/19:

SC is 5th in home runs (18) behind Miss St. - 22; Vandy - 22; Florida -21; and Kentucky - 20.
That is the good news. The Bad News:

Last in Batting Average - 194 next team is Alabama - .216 22 points behind.

Last in On Base %.

Last in Runs scored

Last in Hits

Last in Runs Batted In

Next to last in Total bases - Alabama

Last in total plate appearances

Last in At Bats

12 out of 14 in Walks

5th in Strikeouts

Last in Sac Flies

However, in our pitching, we make up for all that with:

Last in Batters Struck out

Last in Saves

Tied for last in Runners Picked Off

4th in Sac Bunts Allowed

11th out of 14 in runs allowed

11th out of 14 Earned Runs Allowed

3rd in Home Runs Allowed

Tied for 2nd in Wild Pitches

Tied for 3rd in Hit Batters

And !st in Intentional BB Allowed.

Who Would have EVER Thought we would be in this position????

Reactions: 2001cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT