ADVERTISEMENT

Ready to can Holbrook already? Really?

alistair_10

Nov 26, 2003
You mean the same Ray Tanner who had loaded teams that fell short of expectations? That lost to FMU? That lost to Clemson a LOT before the end of his time here? That lost plenty of mid-week games to inferior teams. That won ONE SEC tourney? That went 6 years without making it to the CWS, immediately following three straight years of being in the CWS, including a runner up? The same guy that people complained about over and over for his pitching coaches, being too rigid, unable to adjust strategies to his personnel and couldn't figure out an offense other than the 3-run homer? The same guy people used to criticize for not stealing more bases? Because I remember all those things.

I ALSO remember the Tanner that took us to the CWS 6 times, had 2 runner-up finishes, back-to-back national championships, put a ton of guys into pro ball, built one of the best baseball stadiums in the country, only missed the NCAA tourney ONCE in his tenure, won more consecutive games in the CWS than anyone else, helped the in-state schools by playing games on their turf, embraced our state, town, and university, and is now the AD.

Chad is still a bit unproven, but some of you guys act like we are 6-15 and getting blown out. Baseball is an odd sport. Sometimes lightning strikes when it seems like maybe it shouldn't (Oklahoma game, Roth against Clemson, Walker at CCU). Sometimes you get hot and sometimes you get cold. I still see a talented team, a coach that is trying things to make this team gel, and a fan base that loves our Gamecocks. This team needs PLAYER leaders and confidence. I think Roth, Wingo, Morales, and the other players were way more responsible for leading the teams that won than any of the coaches. Who will that guy be? Not sure. But who would have guessed Roth would have been the legend he is today when we started that CWS run?

Originally posted by alistair_10:

This team needs PLAYER leaders and confidence. I think Roth, Wingo, Morales, and the other players were way more responsible for leading the teams that won than any of the coaches. Who will that guy be? Not sure. But who would have guessed Roth would have been the legend he is today when we started that CWS run?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

While nothing bothers me more than bringing up our past ineptitude to try to defend today's ineptitude, it's ridiculous to for our fans to be pushing the panic button at this point in the season and go apesh*t after every time we lose a game call for the coach to be fired. . 4-2 SEC record right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT