ADVERTISEMENT

Receiving the ball first every game and punting after the first series

Our opponent knows a three and out is coming, they will get the ball last series of first half and receive kick to start second half. Go up by 20 and watch our fans leave.

This problem is amplified by the fact that Bentley is absolutely horrendous at starting games. I can't remember the last time he came out firing against a quality opponent. This is why I believe we'd have lost if he started against Mizzou.

Is this how McClendon draws it up because it's working to perfection.
I may be wrong but didn't we score on the 1st possession vs. Coastal and Vandy?

But in the big games, yes, we get the ball and waste the advantage. Every. Time.

FWIW, it's even 3 and 3 this year on who wins the toss.

We've won the toss against CCU, VU, UK, and have elected to receive.
Opponent has won for UGA, Mizzou, TAMU, and has elected to defer.
So, same result every time, regardless who wins the toss. Unless we play somebody who really wants the ball first, we should just forego the formality of the coin toss.

Yeah but we still take ball and punt after the first series. Why not defer?? Since we can usually plan on being down double digits by halftime.

Reactions: spook spook
Your thread title:

Receiving the ball first every game and punting after the first series
It was a general statement because it seems like we receive it first (which we do either by choice or deferral) every game and punt after the first series as well. If we scored on the opening drive against Coastal and Vandy, it sure seems like a distant memory. My point was and still is we are getting the ball first and punting most of the time after the first series.

Reactions: gpcocks

I always thought you deferred the ball til second half most of the time. But I guess its a part of our “aggression play calling”

Agree wholeheartedly. They may as well skip the toss. Yes it has worked some but more often not. We are a second half team, make great adjustments at halftime usually. Jake always starts out too amped up. Would love to get the ball to start the second half. When things aren`t working well, try something different just to try something different anyway.

We’re even .500 on the coin flip. We are mediocre at everything. Depressing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT