ADVERTISEMENT

Unusual call and assessment

JGH 35

Oct 22, 2013
I played football for 12 years and have been an avid fan of the game for the 44 years ever since and I have never seen a call like the one last night. Clemsux had the ball and it was 3rd and 1. They ran a play and picked up the first down but were called for an illegal formation. Instead of assessing a 5 yard penalty and repeating 3rd down the refs gave them the first down and assessed the penalty afterward making it first and fifteen. Were they just making up rules as they went last night? It seemed so.

Reactions: Robhawk29
I played football for 12 years and have been an avid fan of the game for the 44 years ever since and I have never seen a call like the one last night. Clemsux had the ball and it was 3rd and 1. They ran a play and picked up the first down but were called for an illegal formation. Instead of assessing a 5 yard penalty and repeating 3rd down the refs gave them the first down and assessed the penalty afterward making it first and fifteen. Were they just making up rules as they went last night? It seemed so.

The announcers explained it a minute or so afterwards. It was not 3rd and 1, Clemson had made a first down. The sideline marker was incorrect, so the TV people apparently followed the wrong info.

I also was staring in disbelief when it happened, but they explained.

The announcers explained it a minute or so afterwards. It was not 3rd and 1, Clemson had made a first down. The sideline marker was incorrect, so the TV people apparently followed the wrong info.

I also was staring in disbelief when it happened, but they explained.
I was at the game so I have no idea what any announcers said. I do know that the down marker showed 3rd down and 1. The refs did not move the chains at all before the next play and Clemsux ran a play that they typically would run on 3rd and 1, not 1st and 10. If it was as you say, then that to me is even worse from an officiating standpoint. The chains must be moved and the down marker set prior to the ensuing play or else they can completely lose track of the game situation. This was the most incompetent and disorganized crew I think I've ever seen.

Reactions: Lurker123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT