ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting in the Past Question

tejones

Dec 7, 2004
Did we offer either Bryce Love or Mason Rudolph? Did either show any interest in coming to SC? Funny that both are in most top 5 Heisman list and were essentially in our back yard.

SIAP, but..........is Bryce Love related to Mark Love, formerly a backup Cock to the greatest ILB of all time, Shane Burnham?

Not sure the deal with Love, but his Rivals page said the Cocks offered

As for Mason, it is widely known that he wanted to come to Carolina and could not get the time of day from the staff. He would go to Gamecock football camp every year.
Yep, Jr torpedoed the recruitment of Rudolph!

Bryce is not Mark's son, he is Chris Love's son a former track and field athelete at South Carolina.

being Mark Love son rumor is false

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Not sure the deal with Love, but his Rivals page said the Cocks offered

As for Mason, it is widely known that he wanted to come to Carolina and could not get the time of day from the staff. He would go to Gamecock football camp every year.
I can believe that, also Nick Chubb came for a visit and Spurrier didn't even know who he was. SOS also would not do an in home visit with him either i am told. I don't know if this is true but it is what i've been told.

Yep, Jr torpedoed the recruitment of Rudolph!

Actually it was GA Mangus who wanted Drew Barker more than he wanted Mason. Drew was a silent commit to GA and GA was honest with Mason that Drew was his first choice. The staff at UK got fired and the new staff came in and made Drew priority number 1. Drew drank the kool aid and went to UK. Mangus was left in the cold and Mason had decided on OK State. Drew has been a bust at UK. That's the truth of the matter.

Bryce is not Mark's son, he is Chris Love's son a former track and field athelete at South Carolina.

being Mark Love son rumor is false
You are correct. I knew his dad played a sport at usc. I assumed it was mark.

Actually it was GA Mangus who wanted Drew Barker more than he wanted Mason. Drew was a silent commit to GA and GA was honest with Mason that Drew was his first choice. The staff at UK got fired and the new staff came in and made Drew priority number 1. Drew drank the kool aid and went to UK. Mangus was left in the cold and Mason had decided on OK State. Drew has been a bust at UK. That's the truth of the matter.
^^^THIS^^^

Exactly what happened. Barker was the golden boy who left us at the alter. Also, it wasn't just Mangus...Spurrier Sr. played a large role in that one. Barker was supposed to be his QB for his offense.

^^^THIS^^^

Exactly what happened. Barker was the golden boy who left us at the alter. Also, it wasn't just Mangus...Spurrier Sr. played a large role in that one. Barker was supposed to be his QB for his offense.

Barker was a Bust . He also got knocked out by one of his teammates in an off the field altercation. One of my UK buddy's showed me the video . Dude knocked him into the next zip code

Barker was a Bust . He also got knocked out by one of his teammates in an off the field altercation. One of my UK buddy's showed me the video . Dude knocked him into the next zip code
Oh, I know. Quite a few of the QBs we signed during the Spurrier era never lived up to their billing. He would have been just another one.

I can believe that, also Nick Chubb came for a visit and Spurrier didn't even know who he was. SOS also would not do an in home visit with him either i am told. I don't know if this is true but it is what i've been told.

Not exactly? Not as I've heard it at least.

First, Chubb was UGA all the way. Don't believe any hype otherwise.

Chubb did make an unannounced visit to Columbia (in the spring, I think during spring break) when Spurrier was out of town. Chubb said Spurrier didn't even meet with him but the truth was he was out of town - I believe it was either an SEC meeting or he was accepting an award (I don't remember which, its been a while).

Did our recruiting staff blow it? Maybe. It's not like Spurrier's staff put a priority on recruiting after Beamer left. Did they know Chubb was coming and didn't alert the staff? Seems unlikely.

Spurrier didn't know who he was? I've never heard that until right now but depending on context it wouldn't surprise me. Like, if a random recruit walked up to SOS I'm sure he couldn't tell you his name.

Spurrier wouldn't do an in-home? I think that's true, but it was late in the process and after he committed to UGA, IIRC.

^^^THIS^^^

Typically, Mangus hand picked the qb targets he wanted to recruit. I suspect the rest of the staff signed off on it, but GA was the point man on the qbs we recruited. As I posted earlier, there were two hot shot qbs in S. C. that year. The other one was from the Charleston area. We offered neither and Clemson passed on both of them. The other kid went to UGA and things did not work out for him and he transferred. Don't know what happened to him. Rudolph made it big. The other kid did not. Both had impressive hs stats. Recruiting qb is a tricky business. In this case it was 50/50.

Chubb did make an unannounced visit to Columbia (in the spring, I think during spring break) when Spurrier was out of town. Chubb said Spurrier didn't even meet with him but the truth was he was out of town - I believe it was either an SEC meeting or he was accepting an award (I don't remember which, its been a while).

Did our recruiting staff blow it? Maybe. It's not like Spurrier's staff put a priority on recruiting after Beamer left. Did they know Chubb was coming and didn't alert the staff? Seems unlikely.

Spurrier didn't know who he was? I've never heard that until right now but depending on context it wouldn't surprise me. Like, if a random recruit walked up to SOS I'm sure he couldn't tell you his name.

Spurrier wouldn't do an in-home? I think that's true, but it was late in the process and after he committed to UGA, IIRC.
I live in Athens and have lots of friends close to the program. Major recruits from Cedartown, Ga. have always gone to Ga. Chubb was Athens bound all the way no matter where he visited or who saw him and who did not. Fact

Spurrier knew who Chubb was . The truth to the story is it was actually Raekwon Mcmillian that showed up for a visit and Spurrier had no idea who he was . This came right out of Mcmillian's mouth . He was a 5 star recruit , one of the top defensive players In the country and went on to be an All American at OSU . That's bad considering how terrible we were on defense .

Reactions: JSpears5
I live in Athens and have lots of friends close to the program. Major recruits from Cedartown, Ga. have always gone to Ga. Chubb was Athens bound all the way no matter where he visited or who saw him and who did not. Fact
From what I remember reading, we typically had "Spurrier" QBs and "Mangus" QBs. Spurrier would chose one he liked, Muschamp the same. IIRC some Spurrier QBs were Garcia, D. Thompson, Scarnecchia, the kid from the private school in Bama that transferred, and a couple of older ones that I can't remember, as well as the aforementioned Barker. Mangus QBs were typically dual-threat, Shaw, McIlwain, the kid from PA who set HS records and then transferred, and a couple of others. They seemed to be recruiting to 2 different systems and until Shaw emerged, their were a lot of complaints concerning that.

Typically, Mangus hand picked the qb targets he wanted to recruit. I suspect the rest of the staff signed off on it, but GA was the point man on the qbs we recruited. As I posted earlier, there were two hot shot qbs in S. C. that year. The other one was from the Charleston area. We offered neither and Clemson passed on both of them. The other kid went to UGA and things did not work out for him and he transferred. Don't know what happened to him. Rudolph made it big. The other kid did not. Both had impressive hs stats. Recruiting qb is a tricky business. In this case it was 50/50.
Jacob Park.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ark-removed-iowa-state-depth-chart/767850001/

4_4847881.jpg

Wasn't Andrew Clifford a Spurrier pick? He stayed out of the game and on the roster for a while.

Spurrier knew who Chubb was . The truth to the story is it was actually Raekwon Mcmillian that showed up for a visit and Spurrier had no idea who he was . This came right out of Mcmillian's mouth . He was a 5 star recruit , one of the top defensive players In the country and went on to be an All American at OSU . That's bad considering how terrible we were on defense .

That doesn't surprise me one bit. In recruiting he played the "absent-minded CEO" role too often, especially with defensive players.

SC offered Bryce as a DB only.
Seriously, we did not think he had the talent to play running back.

He was extremely interested in South Carolina.

Great evaluator stuff Talent

P

SC offered Bryce as a DB only.
Seriously, we did not think he had the talent to play running back.

He was extremely interested in South Carolina.

Great evaluator stuff Talent

He was recruited as a athlete/runningback, they talked to him a lot about being a returner. Joe Robinson was in on early visits.

Their is nothing to get to upset here, Bryce always said early on academics were a critical point for his parents and he wanted to go see Stanford. Stanford was always ahead of us.

When a East Coast player chooses Stanford, while football is important, its not usually the deciding factor, academics is.

Reactions: Athenscock1
This is from 2013, no mention of DB or Mark Love LOL, so many thing getting created about Bryce

Class of 2015 4-star athlete Bryce Love 5'9" 179lbs (Wake Forest, N.C./Wake Forest-Rolesville) is no stranger to the University of South Carolina.

Four-star speedster Bryce Love is one of the fastest prospects in his class.

The 5-foot-9, 177-pound speedster's parents both attended the school and his father, Chris Love, played defensive back on the football team and starred on the track team.

Love, who already had offers from programs like Arkansas, Clemson, Duke, ECU, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Stanford, Tennessee and Virginia Tech, picked up an offer from the Gamecocks Friday when he visited for Black Magic.

"It's a blessing, it really is," Love said. "My family went there, so we have a past over there. It's a really special opportunity and it's really good to have."

Love had visited the campus before, most recently with former South Carolina running back target Keith Marshall, who currently plays for Georgia, but this was his first time getting an in-depth look at the program.

"They took us around the academic facilities, around the locker room," Love said. "They showed us what the players get to do in the locker room and how great they get treated really."

The Gamecocks have offered the speedster as an athlete. He's one of the fastest prospects in his class reporting a 10.6 second 100-meter dash and 4.30 second 40-yard-dash. The Gamecocks plan to use his talents all over the field.

"They said they would probably use me kind of like a Percy Harvin or an Ace Sanders in the return game," Love said. "I can play some running back too, so things like that."

Love spent most of his time in Columbia with recruiting coordinator and receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. and special teams coach Joe Robinson, who is his recruiter of record.

Here is another one, early right when we offered, Clemson offered before us as usual, Stanford was mentioned since academics were going to a big part of his decision.

He was not some kid who wanted to come to South Carolina and we blew him off, you guys need to stop.

There in writing his dad is Chris Love not Mark

Rising junior 4 star RB Bryce Love (5-9 180) of Wake Forest, NC has compiled a list of early offers to include Clemson, Tennessee, North Carolina, Stanford, NC State, Duke, Arkansas, East Carolina and Virginia Tech with interest from USC and others. Love is showing interest in the Tigers and Gamecocks. "I've heard nothing but good things (about Clemson) and I'm sure I will really like their facilities (when I visit)," he said. "Coach (Robbie) Caldwell came down here to talk to my coach and told him a couple of things. I feel like they really like me and they really want me." Love is a little more familiar with USC having family that attended the university. "I've liked them, you know, because my parents went there, and I've been down to visit," he said. "They've got really nice facilities and the coaches were pretty cool. Coach (Steve) Spurrier, Jr. came down to talk to my coach and seems like a pretty cool guy." Love has not left the state for any visits this summer but did get a chance to get over to Chapel Hill and Durham for visits. He is showing itnerest in the Blue Devils and Tar Heels. Speaking on both programs, Love said, "I like what they have going on there and I really like the locations. They're both really good programs." He would like to take several visits this football season but has not scheduled any to date. Stanford was one program he mentioned that he would like to see. His father, Chris Love, did say that academics are a priority of Love who carries a 4.5 GPA into his junior year of high school. He does not have any favorites.

Here is another one, early right when we offered, Clemson offered before us as usual, Stanford was mentioned since academics were going to a big part of his decision.

He was not some kid who wanted to come to South Carolina and we blew him off, you guys need to stop.

There in writing his dad is Chris Love not Mark

Rising junior 4 star RB Bryce Love (5-9 180) of Wake Forest, NC has compiled a list of early offers to include Clemson, Tennessee, North Carolina, Stanford, NC State, Duke, Arkansas, East Carolina and Virginia Tech with interest from USC and others. Love is showing interest in the Tigers and Gamecocks. "I've heard nothing but good things (about Clemson) and I'm sure I will really like their facilities (when I visit)," he said. "Coach (Robbie) Caldwell came down here to talk to my coach and told him a couple of things. I feel like they really like me and they really want me." Love is a little more familiar with USC having family that attended the university. "I've liked them, you know, because my parents went there, and I've been down to visit," he said. "They've got really nice facilities and the coaches were pretty cool. Coach (Steve) Spurrier, Jr. came down to talk to my coach and seems like a pretty cool guy." Love has not left the state for any visits this summer but did get a chance to get over to Chapel Hill and Durham for visits. He is showing itnerest in the Blue Devils and Tar Heels. Speaking on both programs, Love said, "I like what they have going on there and I really like the locations. They're both really good programs." He would like to take several visits this football season but has not scheduled any to date. Stanford was one program he mentioned that he would like to see. His father, Chris Love, did say that academics are a priority of Love who carries a 4.5 GPA into his junior year of high school. He does not have any favorites.
Aw. Those nasty facts. Spoken by the father who was closer to his son's recruitment than some of the know it alls on here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT