recruiting top 10 players

Discussion in 'Fighting Gamecocks Forum' started by LazyIslander, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Pole

Pole Member
    Expand Collapse

I saw QB Trevor Lawrence play six games in the past two seasons. Not only is he a great passer but he has tremendous wheels for a 6-5 220 QB. He was a top priority recruit for Kirby Smart. To say that he wasn't is ludicrous! He is one of the top two 2018 recruits in the nation for a reason. Bad enough to listen to all the gloating Tiger fans but listening to a whiney UGA fan is over the top!

cockburg likes this.
  2. umdterpcock

umdterpcock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

With Watson gone, and less than a super star at QB, and Dabo being a dumb football guy, they'll get their due.

I can't wait until the assistants move on and leave Dabo on an island. If he doesn't make homerun hires he's going back to Hickville. I can't wait.

3. SHillTIger

SHillTIger Active Member
    Expand Collapse

We have been hearing this for a few years now but it hasnt happened yet. I am sure we will have a subpar season at some point in the near future but with his record and the title Dabo has punched his ticket to be at Clemson for a long time. He has only been HC 8.5 years and only needs 8 wins to pass Ford(who the older fans think is the best) on the all time win list for Clemson. You really think one or two bad seasons is gonna get him pushed out??

cockburg likes this.
  4. umdterpcock

Expand Collapse

Nope but I think he's got a rude awakening coming soon. Dabo has been very very very lucky.

5. Cackdiesel

Cackdiesel Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Ford was better imo, but I also like his style of football better than what Clemson runs today.

6. Cackdiesel

Cackdiesel Active Member
    Expand Collapse

He's been very lucky with Venables. Venables could get a head coaching job right now, but my bet is he stays at least until his kid/ kids are gone.

7. cockburg

cockburg Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Dude, give him his due. He has built built that program year by year. Luck , imho, has had little to do with it. With Lawrence , they will have 2 quarterbacks on their team that were higher rated as prospects than Watson. He has done this through hard work. You don't land top 5 recruiting classes consistently by being lucky. Maybe he is limited as an Xs and Os coach, I'm not convinced of that , but that's been the knock him. If he is, he has addressed that weakness through hiring great asst. Coaches. Smart move and a selfless act.

8. umdterpcock

Expand Collapse

Im not a disgruntled fan because Clemson won a national championship and I predicted it was coming a couple of years ago and was laughed at.

Dabo got Watson because of his relationship with Chad Morris. Dabo's done well but he's been lucky as hell with some coaches and players.

Don't let anyone fool you, anyone rated higher than Watson is fools gold. To use those ratings as proof is misleading. Lawrence, and any other QB, can have tools. Watson had the best pocket presence of any college QB I've ever seen, that's NEVER going to be replaced EVER by any QB coming in to Clemson. And sooner than later the defenses will start slowing the spread down.

Im not a Dabo hater but his rah rah bullcrap can't pull them everything. He'll not find another Venables getting let go because a foolish coach wants to bring in his brother. Stoops was a complete and total idiot for that move, which Dabo benefitted from.

9. rjohn19

rjohn19 Member
    Expand Collapse

I've been following the draft pretty closely and there is no shortage of pundits who thing Watson is not worthy of first round consideration. You might be underestimating the rest of the cast and the coaching. Venebles doesn't want to be a head coach and if they lose one of their co-OCs, it's not that big a deal as they are playing with the system Chad Morris left anyway.

Remember how CU was going to fold after Morris left? Remember how CU was going to get killed in the 2014 bowl game against Oklahoma without Watson and only Cole Stoudt to lead the offense?

You can wish all you want, but Dabo is too good a recruiter both of players and coaches to let this crumble any time soon. Might see a dip this year but not drastic. Worst case is 9-3 regular season. And this was all accomplished with just slightly above average facilities. Just can't see anything working to put the brakes on in the near future.

10. CockyinMTP

CockyinMTP New Member
    Expand Collapse

Those recruiting rankings don't measure heart! They don't measure pride! They don't measure toughness! But, coach Boom does!

XT and all of his top level talent friends at his fancy football high school can go to Clemson. Coach Boom wants the tough kid who goes to his local public high school, with the kids he grew up with b/c he is loyal. Boom doesn't want the all-star, he wants the kid that got beat up for his lunch money as a freshman and learned to fight back. He didn't want that all-star McIllwain, he wanted a kid who had to work for everything he got, a kid who maybe wasn't a starter all throughout high school, someone gritty like Jake Bentley. Coach Boom will have a team of rocky balboas.

11. wallycock

wallycock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm told by a number of fans that Venables doesn't want the pressures of being a HC, and likes just being a D.C. Heck, they've got a good thing going right now. He is able to recruit any players he wants from anywhere , and can get those he needs. Recruiting is about as easy as it comes, and might actually be fun when you aren't desperate. He has the players to run any scheme he wants, and he has the best defense in the country. He's orchestrated the only D to ever shut out Urban Myer, and gets paid well over $1,000,000 per year. What's not to enjoy?

12. Cackdiesel

Cackdiesel Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. Some people know their limits. Maybe he doesn't think hes suited well for being a head coach or maybe, like you said, he just enjoys what hes doing. Coordinators are more closely tied to game planning and actually coaching than the head coaches are these days. Personally, aside from the money, I don't think being a head coach would be very enjoyable. Dabo has lucked out if Venables really feels this way.

13. NooNoo

NooNoo Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, we aren't interested in the most talented players in the country.....There is a reason they have played for the last two national championships and won one. Sounds like you would like Vanderbilt's roster over Alabama's. Doesn't want the all star? Not a starter? If that's the case then what's the point.

QUOTE="CockyinMTP, post: 3292767, member: 98123"]Those recruiting rankings don't measure heart! They don't measure pride! They don't measure toughness! But, coach Boom does!

XT and all of his top level talent friends at his fancy football high school can go to Clemson. Coach Boom wants the tough kid who goes to his local public high school, with the kids he grew up with b/c he is loyal. Boom doesn't want the all-star, he wants the kid that got beat up for his lunch money as a freshman and learned to fight back. He didn't want that all-star McIllwain, he wanted a kid who had to work for everything he got, a kid who maybe wasn't a starter all throughout high school, someone gritty like Jake Bentley. Coach Boom will have a team of rocky balboas.[/QUOTE]

14. FWB4294

FWB4294 Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow this is unreal and great research . In my opinion this is pathetic . Even if your odds are slim you still gotta make the effort and if you land 1 top ten guy every few years then you have a talent that can turnaround the program . This is the difference between Us and the big boys , If you are afraid to make the tough cast you will never get the big fish . I hate to say it but Dabo and crew outworked us and out spent us and that's why 56-7 happened and will probably happen again this year .

15. cunik08

cunik08 New Member
    Expand Collapse

So Muschamp wants players that got beat up for their lunch money. That's a great recruiting tactic