ADVERTISEMENT

Right now the mortality rate of this is at 1.2% in the USA. If this keeps going down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t link this politically motivated website. The guy that owns it is a climate change denier that doesn’t believe homosexuality has a biological basis.

I dearly hope the death toll is low. Perhaps we can get it even lower by riding it out a few weeks.

Pay less attention to the website and more attention to the direct quotes from Dr. Birx.

Last edited:
2 days ago we were at 1.4367% death rate and now we stand at 1.5367%. That is an increase of 10 basis points In just 2 days. At this rate the death rate is increasing with every new group reported. I think we will end this spread at about 4,000,000 people infected with nearly 62,000 dead in the next 30-40 days. Those numbers are astounding and I hope that i am wrong but not “dead” wrong. At this rate, C-19 will kill double the people ( and only about 10% infected vs the FLU) in half the time than the FLU killed in the 18-19 season per the CDC reports.
Very scary, if these prove to be true or even close to true.

I guess some are ready to kill off some of the last remaining heroes from World War 2 in order to get back to business as usual.
nit business as usual!!! just having the ability to support my family!! not everyone have bank accounts with enough money in them to survive the lay offs!!... some people live week to week man....js

You must mean .6% which would be 6x worse than the flu. That's a huge problem for our healthcare system.....Couple this with the approximate 3x infection rate vs. flu, it's a perfect storm...Unfortunately, we're kindof at the beginning of this and likely need some form of reliable treatment before much subsides.
but the regular flu has a vacin to help the numbers....js

nit business as usual!!! just having the ability to support my family!! not everyone have bank accounts with enough money in them to survive the lay offs!!... some people live week to week man....js

No offense taken. I certainly understand. It’s a delicate balance to strike. So far we are good but that could change if this continues.

You may think I’m well off. I’d consider myself upper middle class, but I make little enough to max out on the stimulus pay for a married couple. There’s no trust fund here.

I decreed them unqualified to predict what the death rate of this virus actually is. I did not say they were unqualified in general. That's an important distinction regarding our discussion. Being multidisciplinary is wonderful, but if you've literally never studied cells or nucleic acids, you can't possibly estimate the mortality rate of this disease. You can use patient data and mortality data to make "at least" type statements, but the real rate would require much more testing and better technology for testing.

It's clear from my previous posts that I looked at their publication records and CVs, not just their degrees. I'm not trying to say these two policy researchers should stay in narrow silos of thought and not weigh in on this mortality rate question at all. In fact, I praised the article as thought provoking. I praised the researchers as being quite bright and accomplished. My criticism is with politicians and news agencies (and you to some degree) using this thoughtful opinion piece as evidence that we should not be sheltering in place or that the problem is less dire than the real scientists lead us to believe.

The headline is literally a question: 'Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?': Professors claim more data needed to know mortality rate

These guys just want to call into question the 1-2% number, which is definitely a good idea. Trying to use this as ammo for relaxing lockdowns is just political nonsense. You original post says these guys "calculated" the number to be much lower and gave actual numbers, which is what originally set me off. Their calculations are based on a complete lack of reliable biological data at this point. For what it's worth, I believe they are probably close to the real number, but it's a guess. Their argument makes sense, but is pretty speculative for now. It makes for a cool discussion, but can not influence our decisions about lockdowns at this time. Surely you agree with this?

I'd also like to apologize to you for coming at you in a condescending manner. Based on your linking a Washington Examiner article, I assumed you had no clue about science, and I was clearly wrong. My bad on that.

So if a person chooses to read the Washington Examiner, it is proof positive he/she hasn't a clue about science? What have you been smoking, young man?

Reactions: DukeDenver
Michael Smerconish on the Sirius XM POTUS channel discussed this article on his show earlier this week.
I didn’t get to hear most of it but he thought it was interesting to consider their point of view, but it’s definitely an opinion piece.

his show is excellent. 9am- 12 noon. He’s doesn’t push any partisan side. He doesn’t always talk politics either.

I try and watch him on cnn on Sunday morning when I can..

There are soooooo many variables with this disease I honestly dont think these hard scientific facts, by all of you experts will help...Way to many variables. Common themes are elderly, sick, and people that live in dense, urban areas.

I guess some are ready to kill off some of the last remaining heroes from World War 2 in order to get back to business as usual.

Lots of dumb posts on this forum.

This one looks like it’ll lead the pack for a while.

Presently there are about 107,000+ WW2 vets who die every year.

They aren’t dying from COVID-19, they’re dying because they’re in their 90’s.

So if a person chooses to read the Washington Examiner, it is proof positive he/she hasn't a clue about science? What have you been smoking, young man?

He makes some valid points in some of his posts.

But upon reading his own words, he doesn’t “value likes from mostly right wing forums”.

Now to be fair, I don’t care about likes from anyone. But a few of his posts smack of elitism. So yes, I’d say if you read anything from the Washington Examiner he’d equate it to reading National Enquirer.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
He makes some valid points in some of his posts.

But upon reading his own words, he doesn’t “value likes from mostly right wing forums”.

Now to be fair, I don’t care about likes from anyone. But a few of his posts smack of elitism. So yes, I’d say if you read anything from the Washington Examiner he’d equate it to reading National Enquirer.

The Washington Examiner is carefully crafted to convince people with right wing views to feel better about those views. That is a fact. The owner of that website is a anti-science nut job. Yes, I contend that the vast majority of people that have that website bookmarked lack a full understanding of scientific principles or at the very least are closed-minded about the natural world. Yes, I am saying that supporters of the far right ideals of creationism, anti-gay and climate change denial are not going to make sound decisions about controlling a pandemic.

Just in case folks are wondering, I am not a left wing nut job. I despise pure politicians of all types including Hillary and Biden. I know that I come off as elitist by making all these assumptions about people based on a few details, but this is an internet message board. With all this anonymity, assumptions are kind of all I have here. That said, I spent my whole life in SC and know in my heart that most of my home state is poorly educated and makes decisions based emotional responses to TV shows, movies and websites. Hardly any adults in SC reads books except for light fiction on the beach.

I don't know crap about playing college football, because I only did it with a Nerf ball. I don't know crap about the economy because I only listen to Planet Money for fun. But I know biology better than 99.999% of humanity. I am also a compassionate person that cares about the well being of strangers. I will stand behind everything I've stated in this thread and will admit when someone else has made a good point or changed the way I think about things.

Last edited:
The Washington Examiner is carefully crafted to convince people with right wing views to feel better about those views. That is a fact. The owner of that website is a anti-science nut job. Yes, I contend that the vast majority of people that have that website bookmarked lack a full understanding of scientific principles or at the very least are closed-minded about the natural world. Yes, I am saying that supporters of the far right ideals of creationism, anti-gay and climate change denial are not going to make sound decisions about controlling a pandemic.

Just in case folks are wondering, I am not a left wing nut job. I despise pure politicians of all types including Hillary and Biden. I know that I come off as elitist by making all these assumptions about people based on a few details, but this is an internet message board. With all this anonymity, assumptions are kind of all I have here. That said, I spent my whole life in SC and know in my heart that most of my home state is poorly educated and makes decisions based emotional responses to TV shows, movies and websites. Hardly any adults in SC reads books except for light fiction on the beach.

I don't know crap about playing college football, because I only did it with a Nerf ball. I don't know crap about the economy because I only listen to Planet Money for fun. But I know biology better than 99.9999% of humanity. I am also a compassionate person that cares about the well being of strangers. I will stand behind everything I've stated in this thread and will admit when someone else has made a good point or changed the way I think about things.

Just checking, what do think about unprotected borders?

No, it's not 100%. Case in point, my dude @JDishnell clearly knows a ton about science and was linking to that website. He is an intelligent person for sure. I bet he is one of the more moderate readers of that website or came to that story by chance and does not visit it daily.

Just go cruise the Washington Examiner stories. Notice any trends? It's all a front for one way of thinking. You'd be way better off just reading the Wall Street Journal article itself which is mostly free of political bending. There's a paper I can respect.

Just checking, what do think about unprotected borders?
Define "unprotected."

If you're talking about completely opening up the US to free immigration, then no, I don't think that's a good idea. I don't really know much about that stuff.

No, it's not 100%. Case in point, my dude @JDishnell clearly knows a ton about science and was linking to that website. He is an intelligent person for sure. I bet he is one of the more moderate readers of that website or came to that story by chance and does not visit it daily.

Just go cruise the Washington Examiner stories. Notice any trends? It's all a front for one way of thinking. You'd be way better off just reading the Wall Street Journal article itself which is mostly free of political bending. There's a paper I can respect.

The Washington Examiner has a partisan point of view. Everything they publish seeks to reinforce their view.
MSNBC does the same thing, Fox does the same thing Huff Post has a liberal partisan point of view.

I never go to any of those sources first or even third. I might read them to see what that side is saying, but it’s always to see what “that side” is saying. I never go to any of those sites for an honest take.

read such with open eyes knowing they are pushing a point of view and it’s likely other people won’t accept Information from such a source.

According to Johns Hopkins, the current mortality rate in the US is 1.6%.

104,680 reported cases and 1,711 deaths. That is a lower rate than the worldwide mortality rate. Earlier this week the US mortality rate was about 1.2%. I still think we are under testing and there are many more mild cases than have been reported which would take this rate down substantially. But this is what is being reported based on available information.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/c...t-least-28717-deaths-2020-03-28?mod=home-page

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdash...8e9ecf6?mod=article_inline&mod=article_inline

104,680 reported cases and 1,711 deaths. That is a lower rate than the worldwide mortality rate. Earlier this week the US mortality rate was about 1.2%. I still think we are under testing and there are many more mild cases than have been reported which would take this rate down substantially. But this is what is being reported based on available information.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/c...t-least-28717-deaths-2020-03-28?mod=home-page

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdash...8e9ecf6?mod=article_inline&mod=article_inline

What's hard about these numbers is how much stuff is wait and see. If there are 104,000 reported cases, then there are likely 100,000+ unreported current infections, maybe much more than that if 99% of children are asymptomatic. Also, there are literally millions of people waiting on test results right now, a decent percent of whom will become confirmed cases over the next 2 weeks.

It is my belief that well over 1 million people are infected in the US as of today, but there's no way to test sensitively enough and wide scale enough to really find out. There's also no way to know how many current virally infected people will die over the next month. So the mortality rate is certainly a moving number. I'm hoping that when all is said and done counting this stuff, that the real rate is closer to 0.1%. Until we have a better idea of the risks, I'm staying away from humans.

Mortality % rate will peak about 5 to 7 days following peak new day cases unless they ramp up testing considerably.

According to John Hopkins there are 135,779 that have recovered. 28,794 deaths worldwide. That would be about 17.5% mortality rate. The US is 895 recovered and 1711 deaths. That would be about a 65% death rate. Of course those numbers are not at all accurate as a way to see the death rate because so many are still unresolved. Just as you can't use current counts of active and resolved cases and compare it to deaths to come up with an accurate number. An accurate rate will not be known for a while in the US and can change if hospitals are overwhelmed. I am sure the total number of cases is much higher than what has been confirmed. As well as the total number that have recovered. John Hopkins is not posting a mortality rate on that website. Just raw numbers of confirmed cases, recovered cases, and deaths.

On this John Hopkins page they list mortality rates from other sources.
https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopki.../540747/all/Coronavirus_COVID_19__SARS_CoV_2_

Mortality rates for reported COVID–19 cases, by age group —United States†
Age (yrs)

Mortality Rate

≥85

10–27%

65–84

3–11%

55-64

1–3%

20–54

< 1%

≤19

0%

†Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) — United States, February 12–March 16, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. ePub: 18 March 2020

And worldwide..

repview

Last edited:
Reactions: SCBlueFan
Mortality % rate will peak about 5 to 7 days following peak new day cases unless they ramp up testing considerably.

According to a site I’ve been watching, (BNO news) the US had about 113,416 cases at some point of reporting in the last day. There were 1893 deaths and 2,201 in critical condition. That is a 1.67% mortality rate currently. However, only 2,439 have been categorized as recovered. That is a 1.9% recovery rate. To take the mortality rate as proof that only a small percentage of people will die is no more accurate than to say only 2% will recover, since that is the current number. We all know that isn’t the case. What these numbers tell us is that 96% of the cases in the US are as yet unresolved, so we are in the early stages of this. The death rate in real time is not at all accurate yet.

China, by contrast has a death rate of 4% and a recovery rate of 92%. Given that only about 4% of the total cases are unresolved, those numbers are much more indicative of the mortality rate of this virus. Of course I have been in a hospital in China and I would predict that we will do much better than that — IF we do what we can to flatten the curve. If we just keep on keeping on, we will overwhelm the medical system and end up more like Italy than we want to.

STAY HOME!!!

Edit to note this is nearly the same as the post directly above mine that was added as I typed.

Last edited:
I haven't ignored you.

I am a Ph.D. in Microbiology/Immunology, with graduate research in the chemoprevention of cancer and post-doctoral research at MUSC in cancer immunotherapy using a Lymphoma model. Have served as a professor of microbiology and am now in a regulatory role.

It's your lack of understanding about the interdisciplinary nature of the sciences that interests me, given your background. I suppose it's a just a difference of background that allows me to see how these guys are ideally suited to engage in this kind of work. It does not strike me as odd in the least. I obtained a degree in classical microbiology, doing cancer-based research, with a PI whose graduate work was in physics (studying the sedimentation rates of virus particles). He, by the way, taught courses in cancer genetics and virology (among other things) and was well-schooled in botany as well. By your line of thinking, he had a degree in physics, so he should only ever weigh in on physics-related issues. That's more of a modern view, I suppose. Most people don't come out of grad schools as well-rounded as they used to.

In our research, we collaborated with botanists, zoologists, food scientists and many other disciplines. I guess it just depends on the kind of degree you have. I see the overall body of work of each of these guys, and what they are doing makes perfect sense to me. They are obviously broadly trained and well-versed in numerous fields. One need not have a degree in a particular field to be proficient in their understanding of it. My degree is in classical microbiology, but most of the strongest microbiologists I have worked with have had degrees in chemistry or biochemistry.

I once had the opportunity to meet Bruce Glick. He was studying poultry science when he quite by chance stumbled upon the role of the bursa of Fabricius in antibody production. This was a key step in the discovery of B cells. From poultry science to immunology. The history of science is practically littered with people who made monumental contributions to science outside of their narrow field of training.

Basic principles of virology can be applied to most any virus. There are numerous well-established mathematical models out there for viral spread, and viruses themselves are quite simple structures. An individual certainly does not need to have a Ph.D. in virology or microbiology to understand viruses or viral spread (incidentally, if you have an MD from Stanford or Harvard, you understand viruses). Now, if they were weighing in on how to treat the virus, that would be somewhat of a different story. But the opinions they offered on viral spread are well within their areas of expertise. You don't even necessarily need an MD or a science degree of any kind to do this kind of work.

Consider Dr. Anthony Fauci. His undergraduate degree is in the classics. He then earned an MD but no Ph.D. in any "science" field. By your estimation, he should absolutely not be the director of the NIH or NIAID. Those organizations exist primarily for research purposes and he does not have a research degree. He's a leader in the fields of immunoloy and virology, with no degrees in either field or a Ph.D. of any kind. How does that happen? He leads the largest research organization in the country without having a research degree of his own.

All you've done is look at the titles of these guys' degrees and decreed them unqualified. That's overly simplistic and shallow thinking. If you think they're wrong, or potentially wrong, then you need to be able to offer a critique of what they actually said. It's like talking to college freshman and they're convinced that an opinion they came across is right just b/c the person who penned it had "Ph.D." after his/her name.

Again, I guess this all just stems from a difference in background. I'm very multidisciplinary and have mostly associated with multidisciplinary folks. One question we never ask each other is "what's your Ph.D. in?" Nobody cares about that.
Took a class in Immunology by Dr Glick when I was getting my PhD at Clemson in the early 90’s. It was easily the best class I ever took. No textbook, just research articles taking you through the process by which various key components/processes of the immune system where discovered.

This entire thread misses the point. It has never been about the mortality rate. It is about many people getting sick at one time and overrunning the health care system. Yes, you will probably live but many will need hospital beds and if this thing gets out of control we will have a problem. That is the concern, not the mortality rate.

This entire thread misses the point. It has never been about the mortality rate. It is about many people getting sick at one time and overrunning the health care system. Yes, you will probably live but many will need hospital beds and if this thing gets out of control we will have a problem. That is the concern, not the mortality rate.
BINGO! Hence the phrase, flatten the curve.

Note to self, and anybody who cares bout this board. Ignore Gamecock Ben (who tried unbelievably to insert abortion in this thread), Duke Denver, Expro and Dishnell. The thread and political hijackers do it every time. Where's rollerdude111?

Congrats to those trying to keep the thread on topic.
Congrats to those who think they can dictate what others read and ignore..

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Note to self, and anybody who cares bout this board. Ignore Gamecock Ben (who tried unbelievably to insert abortion in this thread), Duke Denver, Expro and Dishnell. The thread and political hijackers do it every time. Where's rollerdude111?

Congrats to those trying to keep the thread on topic.

Maybe you should consider moving to countries like China, Russia, Cuba, North Korea and Iran.

Free speech is discouraged there.

BINGO! Hence the phrase, flatten the curve.
The curve would have been naturally flatter if the media hadn't overhyped this whole thing though. Now every Joe with a runny nose is rushing to call his healthcare provider, thinking "oh god, I have the corona!"

Case in point: mass email from Novant "Is it seasonal allergies or COVID-19?" That email isn't going out if Novant's call centers aren't getting absolutely blown up with traffic because people are panicking... Because the media stirred everyone into a frenzy.

Reactions: BigTomE
According to John Hopkins there are 135,779 that have recovered. 28,794 deaths worldwide. That would be about 17.5% mortality rate. The US is 895 recovered and 1711 deaths. That would be about a 65% death rate. Of course those numbers are not at all accurate as a way to see the death rate because so many are still unresolved. Just as you can't use current counts of active and resolved cases and compare it to deaths to come up with an accurate number. An accurate rate will not be known for a while in the US and can change if hospitals are overwhelmed. I am sure the total number of cases is much higher than what has been confirmed. As well as the total number that have recovered. John Hopkins is not posting a mortality rate on that website. Just raw numbers of confirmed cases, recovered cases, and deaths.

On this John Hopkins page they list mortality rates from other sources.
https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopki.../540747/all/Coronavirus_COVID_19__SARS_CoV_2_

Mortality rates for reported COVID–19 cases, by age group —United States†
Age (yrs)

Mortality Rate

≥85

10–27%

65–84

3–11%

55-64

1–3%

20–54

< 1%

≤19

0%

†Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) — United States, February 12–March 16, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. ePub: 18 March 2020

And worldwide..

repview
That data is 14 days old isn't it? (It says March 14th at the bottom of the chart above on the web page.) I think you also have to correct for the disease incubation period to get the correct CFR. So the number of deaths as of today would be divided by the the number of cases 7-14 days (I think they are using 7 days) before. But it is hard to know if those numbers are accurate because of the lack of testing in the US. There could be many more infected with mild cases who never even report being ill.

I've heard several experts say that we will not know the true rate at which this virus kills those infected until much later.

Congrats to those who think they can dictate what others read and ignore..
Sorry 19, he is right...just stop pushing your agenda and have a good time for the next few months. You only have “X” # of years left n earth.

Sorry 19, he is right...just stop pushing your agenda and have a good time for the next few months. You only have “X” # of years left n earth.
My Agenda WTH.... Is free speech not a thing anymore. Where do you think are, N. Korea. I have an idea, press ignore or don't read my post. Or you could move to China where its normal. GTFOH

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I do not attach to either party but let me ask this question:

How many people wanting to “get back to work” are also “pro life?” Hard to take the pro life stance when you are willing to sacrifice your parents and grandparents for the economy.

And how many that want to save every life despite the economic consequences dont blink an eye at abortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT