ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Pat DiNizio The Smithereens

Really talented yet unsung songwriter and vocalist. So was the entire band. Still recall when their first song "Blood and Roses" first hit the airwaves back in 1986. Their songs are very melodic with great hooks. Should have been a major top tier band based solely on the quality of their songs. Their only shortcoming was their appearance or lack of a photogenic appearance in the age of MTV. The guys looked like mechanics or factory workers. If they had the look of say Bon Jovi, the Smithereens would have been massive because they had the musical talent and chops. RIP Pat - Gone Way Too Soon.

I was just listening to them yesterday out of nowhere. Crazy.

A few days ago I had to purge my ITunes to make room for some new songs for IPod and I had to discard A Girl Like You. I think The Smithereens were a breath of fresh air compared to the mainstream rock in the late 80s early 90s. Sympathy to family, friends and the fan base in New Jersey.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
Wow. Sad to hear this. Gonna be listening to some Smithereens tonight in honor of Pat.

"Behind a Wall of Sleep."

Really liked The Smithereens. I thought they were a mix of the 60's and modern rock. DiNizio's voice reminded me of Johnny Rivers (Secret Agent Man). Always thought they should have recorded a cover of that song. I saw them live in Columbia about 15-20 years ago at a small concert hall off Huger Street near Blossom. They ROCKED that place. One of the best concerts I've ever been to because of how small the venue was and how great they sounded. Sad news.

Reactions: NYC_Gamecock
Really talented yet unsung songwriter and vocalist. So was the entire band. Still recall when their first song "Blood and Roses" first hit the airwaves back in 1986. Their songs are very melodic with great hooks. Should have been a major top tier band based solely on the quality of their songs. Their only shortcoming was their appearance or lack of a photogenic appearance in the age of MTV. The guys looked like mechanics or factory workers. If they had the look of say Bon Jovi, the Smithereens would have been massive because they had the musical talent and chops. RIP Pat - Gone Way Too Soon.
well said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT