ADVERTISEMENT

Roll Call: High School and graduation year.

well i grew up on azalea patch rd. my grandmother owned the country store there on the corner of azalea patch & bethel church rd . they used to call that spot "the bay". i attended tabor united meth church there on hwy 64 until i moved away after graduation from RHS. we actually went to a few football games at ruffin in the mid to late '90s when the patriots had a pretty good team.
Ruffin had it's best team in 91 when I was in school. We lost in the semifinals to Lakeview. We were up 14-0 going into the 4th quarter. This strange fog covered the field and everything went haywire. We ended up losing 21-14. I think they went on to beat Great Falls in the State Championship.

Nice! I put Richmond, because I figured no one would know about it. Small world. Is she against giving her initials as well? Mine are CM.
Her initials were TB in school. Her ex was JK. She said she knew you, you were the only person she knew that went to USC after high school.

was beginning to think I was the only Virginia high school graduate on here,
Louisa County High School Lions (Mineral, Virginia) - 2005
ah, spent quite a few hours in the county, site of Hampton's greatest victory. there was this old tavern/store up there built b4 1800? trust it still stands??? .....w/ all the growth up that way one can't blink an eye:-(.

Geez Louise, my parents graduated in '62 & '63. I'm getting old. Of course, the incoming (college) FR class for this fall was born in '97.....

THE A-Town Panthers class of 1980. 22-2 my junior/senior years combined. Lost to Coach Varner and the Woodruff Wolvs in the State playoffs each year. They went on to win State in !979 and lost in the State CG to Allen Mitchchel(sp?) and B-L in !980. Had Woodruff won that game, they would have set a national HS record for 5 straight state championships at the time. We were 44-5 my 4 years in high school with 3 of those losses coming to Woodruff in the playoffs. Woodruff was the 2A team back then and we were always #2. They even beat the 4A state champion one year. We also beat the 3A runner-up...Strom Thurman HS and Ira Hillary(sp?) 2 years in a row. Shut them out one year and held them to 1 TD and less than 100 yards of total offense the other. They went on to go undefeated and win their conference and play for the 3A state championship after. We could never get a 4A schools to schedule us. Coach Pinky Babb(Greenwood) said he had nothing to gain and everything to loose playing Abbeville. We did scrimmage Westside one year and they quit after their offense only gained 35 yards on 30 offensive plays...we scored 4 times on our 1st 10 plays and never threw the football...we were a running team and still are. My senior year we had 2 people over 200lbs...our RT at 220lbs and our FB at 210. The rest of us were 175-185. BHP asked why we brought our JV to play their there V until we scored 20 points on them before our "O" took the field. At half it was 33(Atown)-0(another 3A school) They finally crossed the 50 with less than 1minute to go in the game. The game ended 33-0 and all 34 players for A-Town got to play against their "1's." Our head coach, Coach Hendricks didn't believe in running the score up. Abbeville is the only school in SC to win(?) a state Championship in 3 different classifications...1971(3A), 1981(2A), 1991(2A), 1996(2A), 2010(1A), and 2011(1A)...then we moved back up to 2A. We also lost 3 other 2A SCG's. Some say the only reason why we never won a 4A SCG is we've never been 4A.

I'm out of the country on business and saw this thread...my apologies, but thank you for allowing me to take a LONG trip down memory lane...

SEMPER FI...Go Cocks...Go A-Town Panthers!!!

i have yet to see this one
chester high school 1988
univ. of south carolina 1994
furman university 2005

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT