ADVERTISEMENT

ROLL CALL: High School attended and year graduated.

I would like to acknowledge two of my relatives that attended Parker and are now deceased.

My aunt that finished Parker sometime in the 1940s. I forget the exact year she finished but it was the last year the school systems in SC only required students to complete the 11th grade. She passed away in February.

And also, a cousin that finished Parker in 1954 that passed away almost two years ago.

Kershaw High School.....1962
No longer exist..... merged with other schools and became Andrew Jackson

Spring Valley High School, Class of 1978. Our graduation class was one person shy of 800 and there was only 1 high school in Richland School District 2...now there are five!!! The school no longer has pods as classrooms.

No-but as you know, they won that same title the following year.

That's right....football season & graduating class are "+1" & that's easy to forget sometimes!! As a '71 grad, your team obviously won the title in 1970 & the seniors on the Titan team (inc.Bass) would have finished in '72 after winning in the Fall of '71. Was initially thinking same season, but, perhaps, different classifications.

I know full well where Shaw was and have eaten there several times over the years. It, of course, has been Stax for many years now, I guess it is still there. I know where State Park Rd is but I am not familiar with the Leawood section. I probably know where it is but can't place it's location.
The Leawood area is now called Cherrydale area. I grew up off Poinsett Hwy (Montis Dr) near Furman. Mike Fair (Carolina QB 65-68) lived on Montis Dr too.

Freddie Sonny mack was a bear- Worked with CXS for 40 yrs and is now retired living on a farm between lake City and Turbeville. Roy cromer is in Lexington I believe. The guy you are talking about first name was Jimmy . Cant remember his last name but his mom and Dad kept his Car under the garage for 30 some years.

Buddy, I can't think of who it might be. There was an outstanding defensive player in the early '60s and I can't think of his name off the top of my head. But, he went into the Marine Corp and sadly to say was killed in Viet Nam.

Larry Fleming, originally from Piedmont before moving to the Parker High School district in Greenville. All-State & Shrine Bowl selection. S.C. Golden Gloves boxing champion. Heard a number of guys who really remember him well say he was the toughest dude they ever knew. Said his death in 'Nam was hard for some to grasp because he had somewhat of a mythical rep

I would like to acknowledge two of my relatives that attended Parker and are now deceased.

My aunt that finished Parker sometime in the 1940s. I forget the exact year she finished but it was the last year the school systems in SC only required students to complete the 11th grade. She passed away in February.

And also, a cousin that finished Parker in 1954 that passed away almost two years ago.
I think it was 1948 that grade 12 was added.

Beaufort High, 1977.

No, I was not that Freddie. But, you probably knew Bob Echols and Barry Sears. Two guys that I knew very well from that class.

One summer during my high school years in the mid 70's, I worked at a Winn-Dixie in Greenville at the intersection of Augusta Rd. & Potomac Avenue (other side of the intersection, Potomac becomes "Mauldin Road"). Assistant store manager was named Barry Sears. No idea if one & the same. He would have been the right age to have come out of H.S. about 1962. MUCH more likable than the store manager. Great sense of humor. Would get pretty "naughty" over the P.A. system after hours, but it really kept morale boosted as we would try to button up the store after a long day. Heard (much) later that he had gone into the Ministry!! Edit: Freddie just saw your later response that Barry Sears had passed away in 2005. Again, not sure if the same, but sorry to hear about your friend even if diff. person than the one I knew!!

Freddie Sonny mack was a bear- Worked with CXS for 40 yrs and is now retired living on a farm between lake City and Turbeville. Roy cromer is in Lexington I believe. The guy you are talking about first name was Jimmy . Cant remember his last name but his mom and Dad kept his Car under the garage for 30 some years.

My best friend is from Lake City, SC. He graduated in '62 and played and played football for Lake City.

Reactions: Closer and Brucifer
One summer during my high school years in the mid 70's, I worked at a Winn-Dixie in Greenville at the intersection of Augusta Rd. & Potomac Avenue (other side of the intersection, Potomac becomes "Mauldin Road"). Assistant store manager was named Barry Sears. No idea if one & the same. He would have been the right age to have come out of H.S. about 1962. MUCH more likable than the store manager. Great sense of humor. Would get pretty "naughty" over the P.A. system after hours, but it really kept morale boosted as we would try to button up the store after a long day. Heard (much) later that he had gone into the Ministry!! Edit: Freddie just saw your later response that Barry Sears had passed away in 2005. Again, not sure if the same, but sorry to hear about your friend even if diff. person than the one I knew!!

The Barry Sears I knew worked for Winn-Dixie during high school and some after high school. I'm not sure he was ever the Assistant Manager or not. I also know he worked at the Winn-Dixie Warehouse on Wade Hampton Blvd for a while. The Barry Sears you described above sounds just like the Barry Sears I knew. But, the Barry Sears I knew definitely did not go into the ministry. In fact, he ended up in the bar business for a while. At the time of his death, I think he was the manager of a Burger King, but I am not sure about that.

Below is the link for Barry's obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenvilleonline/obituary.aspx?n=barry-sears&pid=140616533

Last edited:
The Barry Sears I knew worked for Winn-Dixie during high school and some after high school. I'm not sure he was ever the Assistant Manager or not. I also know he worked at the Winn-Dixie Warehouse on Wade Hampton Blvd for a while. The Barry Sears you described above sounds just like the Barry Sears I knew. But, the Barry Sears I knew definitely did not go into the ministry. In fact, he ended up in the bar business for a while. At the time of his death, I think he was the manager of a Burger King, but I am not sure about that.

Below is the link for Barry's obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenvilleonline/obituary.aspx?n=barry-sears&pid=140616533
Thanks, Freddie!! Had to have been the same one!! The Ministry thing...I believe it was just a comment in passing by someone who had their names crossed up!! Should not have added that info!! Thanks again & sorry to hear that Barry had passed away!!

The Leawood area is now called Cherrydale area. I grew up off Poinsett Hwy (Montis Dr) near Furman. Mike Fair (Carolina QB 65-68) lived on Montis Dr too.

Mike Fair was a helluva football player. I graduated with his sister, Linda. I grew up in Sans Souci, not far from Montis Drive.

Larry Fleming, originally from Piedmont before moving to the Parker High School district in Greenville. All-State & Shrine Bowl selection. S.C. Golden Gloves boxing champion. Heard a number of guys who really remember him well say he was the toughest dude they ever knew. Said his death in 'Nam was hard for some to grasp because he had somewhat of a mythical rep

Yep, Larry Flemings was the guy I was thinking of that played football for Parker in the early 1960s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT