ADVERTISEMENT

ROLL CALL: High School attended and year graduated.

Same here. Hated to lose to the red and white. Loved decorating the cars with purple and gold on the day of the game.

Yep, I attended my first Parker vs Greenville game in '53. It was the first football game of any type I ever attended, I was in the 3rd grade. Parker won that game but I can't remember the score.

And seeing the cars all decorated up in school colors was in and of itself something to behold. I'm not so sure that was done so much in the later days at Thanksgiving. But, boy do I miss all of the traditions of Parker, I had an aunt to attend there and numerous cousins that were older than me. I loved Parker HS and all of the students and teachers that I encounter.
The teacher that had the most profound influence on me taught at Parker.

Right down Bluff Rd Olympia High School 1956. Upper State Champs... Lost State to Liberty High Red Devils.

I graduated with Linda also. Linda and Mike were completely different. Mike Fair was the best athlete ever at Parker. His freshman year at Carolina he played football, basketball and baseball. The other years it was football (QB) and baseball. He was a back up QB in the NFL for a couple of years. He told me one time that the hardest he got hit in the NFL was by a snowball in Buffalo.
Mike
Hey, we were the rich kids at Parker because we didn't grow up in the mill villages. LOL

I read a Greenville News article a while back from the Spring of 1964 announcing that Mike had signed a Letter-of-Intent to play baseball at USC. He did, of course (shortstop), but that was just before the NCAA closed the loophole with the "Bear Bryant rule" requiring anyone on athletic grant-in-aid that played football to count toward the (still relatively generous compared to now) limit for football. He was a fine baseball player, no doubt, but- make no mistake- he was there for football. Most of the baseball team-save maybe a pitcher or two- were members of the football team. Same with Track & Field...many were members of the football team. Few years before South Carolina hired Bobby Richardson & began to emphasize baseball

Easley High School class of 1963

State Champs in football ( all classes )

Greenville won the top class AAA and their only loss with to Easley

This was USC's Benny "Getaway" Galloway's best season as he was injured his senior year

Reactions: OldFlaCock
Spring Valley High School, Class of 1978. Our graduation class was one person shy of 800 and there was only 1 high school in Richland School District 2...now there are five!!! The school no longer has pods as classrooms.
I graduated in 1979 and only a small part of my school even had AC and 60% of my classes were in unconditioned pods. In SC in late August ......

Easley High School class of 1963

State Champs in football ( all classes )

Greenville won the top class AAA and their only loss with to Easley

This was USC's Benny "Getaway" Galloway's best season as he was injured his senior year

Benny Galloway was the most "talked about" running back I had ever heard of in the state of SC at that time.

West Florence 82. All city and all conference jr. year. Centerfield. Not sure what happened senior year, but still started. Girls would be my best guess. ;)

Pageland High-71. football, baseball, all-conference basketball. Home of Al Usher, Cory Miller, Justice Cunningham, and pro baseball legend Van Lingle Mungo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT