ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield should never have been hired in the first place.

How could Beamer see Satterfield's performance as OC at Temple and still hire him to be an OC in the SEC? You would think that after we hired him without any Head Coaching nor OC/DC experience, he owed it to the university and its fans, to hire a proven, successful OC. Seems to me that Beamer let us all down by hiring a personal friend of his to be OC, one who previously failed at that job
How could Beamer see Satterfield's performance as OC at Temple and still hire him to be an OC in the SEC? You would think that after we hired him without any Head Coaching nor OC/DC experience, he owed it to the university and its fans, to hire a proven, successful OC. Seems to me that Beamer let us all down by hiring a personal friend of his to be OC, one who previously failed at that job.
Beamer was hired for cheap…sc wasn’t getting a proven offensive coordinator for they were going to pay. That simple

Reactions: nikolas22
Bull.

He didn’t “shun” anyone. Coaches are going to play the best guys, they don’t have time to waste playing favorites. Bobo knew the situation when he signed on here, he knew the clock was ticking.

Some of you can’t handle the truth. RH is a good kid, but he dropped to third string here.

He transferred to NW, was third string, wound up starting because of injuries to the guys above him, then went back to the bench. Is the NW staff shunning him too?

Doesn’t matter who our OC is, as long as our OL sucks we’re going to struggle. And before you blame the first year OL coach, our OL has been shaky for several years. That’s on Wolford.
Coaches often play who they're familiar with. Muschamp did it. Bobo did it. Even Mullen has been accused of it this year.

Hilinski was never going to be a Heisman candidate. But he was also never given the opportunity to succeed under Bobo.

Sorry if you don't see it.

Reactions: Dizzy01
The really sad part was we were told we would have an OU type offense but actually got a Brad Scott version.
welcome-home-welcome-back.gif

Reactions: Dizzy01
Beamer was hired for cheap…sc wasn’t getting a proven offensive coordinator for they were going to pay. That simple
Even if so, did it make sense to hire someone whose offenses never averaged over 400 yards per game while he was offensive coordinator? Satterfield is not proven either. Hell, I would have hired Coastal Carolina's Offensive Coordinator. They are 8th in the nation in Total Offense. And I guarantee you we could have afforded him. I do agree though that Beamer was hired for cheap.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Bobo made chicken salad from chicken sh*t last year when we had the conferences leading rusher. At that time we retained Des too. Those were no brainers at the time. And the fact that Bobo ended up at Auburn AFTER he signed a contract with us, let’s you know that he was in demand.

No, he didn't. We had a handful of really good games running the ball. The rest of the time we sucked at it, just like this year. Bobo's offense was terrible and part of the reason we fired Muschump. And that was with his veteran QB that he brought with him and a NFL quality receiver.

Reactions: broken_cock_
How'd Dabo do it?
A little luck would be the best answer. After Napier, he hired a little known coach one year out of the HS ranks that had the same offensive philosophy that Dabo had. As far as DC he hired a SC native in Kevin Steele who wanted to be back in South Carolina....he did a good job until the infamous Orange Bowl. Both were rather forunate hires.

Hilinski's never had any consistent QB coaching either. Bobo played favorites by calling out Hilinski in the media before he had even met the kid. Two weeks later, Hill announced he was following Bobo to Columbia. Most of us new from that point that the fix was in.

As for Doty, with or without injury, he looks the same as he did in the spring game and the same as he did last year. He seems to be a great kid, but I just don't think he's the future here.
Some coaches just operate that way (e.g. calling players out). I have no qualms with it when its true.

No, he didn't. We had a handful of really good games running the ball. The rest of the time we sucked at it, just like this year. Bobo's offense was terrible and part of the reason we fired Muschump. And that was with his veteran QB that he brought with him and a NFL quality receiver.
How many good offensive games have we had against Power 5 teams offensively this year?

1 game. Just the one. As opposed to the 4 or 5 games where we had a good offensive outing last year. Thanks for proving my point.

vs Georgia/Florida/Vandy/Kentucky/MIzzou/TAMU/Tennessee

139 total points last year
146 total points this year

Not sure where people are getting such fond memories of last year. Last year sucked as bad as this year.

Some coaches just operate that way (e.g. calling players out). I have no qualms with it when its true.
Exactly.

And to be fair, Bobo didn’t actually “call out” Hilinski. As I remember in essence he was asked if he’d seen any of RH’s film, and what he thought....paraphrasing he said from watching film he had footwork issues, and he was looking forward to working with him to correct them.

He still has the same issues, even after being filmed getting lessons from Garcia on....footwork.

Mechanical issues can be tough to cure.

Reactions: will110 and Brace1
Nor do I usually. But Bobo hadn't even met the kid yet. And THEN he brings his own failed QB with him. THEN he spent all last season running down Hilinski behind the scenes while his chosen one stunk up the joint week after week..

That's just not a good look no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: qastor
I find that simply unbelievable.
You are right. It is unbelievable. At the time the main rumor was that Tanner told Beamer he had to take Bobo - to save money. That was later denied and multiple people (insiders) have said Beamer wanted him to be OC. I don't know what to believe.

Nor do I usually. But Bobo hadn't even met the kid yet. And THEN he brings his own failed QB with him. THEN he spent all last season running down Hilinski behind the scenes while his chosen one stunk up the joint week after week..

That's just not a good look no matter how you slice it.
Fair

Reactions: Legendary Cock
You are right. It is unbelievable. At the time the main rumor was that Tanner told Beamer he had to take Bobo - to save money. That was later denied and multiple people (insiders) have said Beamer wanted him to be OC. I don't know what to believe.
I believe the first part to be true (whether it was Tanner or General Disarray, IDK). The second part sounds like first class ass-covering.

Good coaches do not want to work for a trainee head coach who they have much more experience and qualifications than.
Nobody wants to take orders from someone less qualified than them to do their job.
It's not Shanes fault. It just is where we are now. I doubt it gets better after Shane fires the couple sacrificial lambs off this 1AA staff.
I don't think he fires anyone. The real cure is in recruiting. The only thing that will save Beamer from this being his only HC job is if he can recruit top players. I predicted a 4-8 season, so far they have a better record than I thought. If they find a way to win one of their last two games, a miracle if they do, will have to give Beamer credit.

Reactions: TAV31 and PC31
How could Beamer see Satterfield's performance as OC at Temple and still hire him to be an OC in the SEC? You would think that after we hired him without any Head Coaching nor OC/DC experience, he owed it to the university and its fans, to hire a proven, successful OC. Seems to me that Beamer let us all down by hiring a personal friend of his to be OC, one who previously failed at that job.
You do realize the decision was to keep Mike Bobo, and then 2 weeks after signing a new contract he tells Shane he wants to go to Auburn. Pretty much everyone we had targeted was locked into a contract at the time. Couple that with Covid shorting the AD $$ and having to pay Muschamp's buyout means we went a bit cheap amongst VERY limited options. Honestly I think Satterfield did Shane a favor by taking this position rather than Shane doing him the favor by offering the job.

Beamer wasn’t the only one told to retain Bobo which is what drew the process out long enough for Beamer to be pushed in as he was willing to do whatever to get the job.

You do realize the decision was to keep Mike Bobo, and then 2 weeks after signing a new contract he tells Shane he wants to go to Auburn. Pretty much everyone we had targeted was locked into a contract at the time. Couple that with Covid shorting the AD $$ and having to pay Muschamp's buyout means we went a bit cheap amongst VERY limited options. Honestly I think Satterfield did Shane a favor by taking this position rather than Shane doing him the favor by offering the job.

This all sounds completely reasonable. But it then leads one to question why a different choice isn't to be made this year, when all those circumstances have changed, and Satterfield has shown he's not capable.

Meaning I'd buy that story, but nit if he's retained this year.

You hit the nail on the head. Shane did a snow job on Tanner and the bot and none of it has panned out. Let's hope he gets the VA tech job where he can hire his dad to be the special teams coach. Good to see spurrier, Dan mullens and Shane are such good friends that they were spotted having dinner at steak house together after the game.

Who would want to coach this offense? We have running backs and 1 receiver. Everyone else wouldn't make Wake forest practice squad.
Tis true. But - I don't think this hire is SB's fault. Whether he is a close friend, part of his wedding, etc. That doesn't matter to me....the issue I have is that our admin in charge hired a HC that can't and couldn't attract a decent OC candidate. That's a huge issue, and will continue to be a problem. I just have no idea why J. Steppe came here. I think that dude is great....but his leaving K. Briles offense for this nightmare makes me question his sanity.

Good coaches do not want to work for a trainee head coach who they have much more experience and qualifications than.
Nobody wants to take orders from someone less qualified than them to do their job.
It's not Shanes fault. It just is where we are now. I doubt it gets better after Shane fires the couple sacrificial lambs off this 1AA staff.
most truthful post of 2021 I've seen on FGF

Auburn had the type of athletes in place for him to run his offense successfully. He was able to have success in the running game here. But he blew up our QB room when he brought in pegleg and shunned Hilinski before he even met him.

Also, Beamer supposedly went to Oklahoma to learn Riley's version of the Air Raid offense. So why would he want to keep an OC on staff whose offense is night and day different than Riley's, especially when Beamer was bragging about about all the OCs that were supposedly dying to come here to coach under him? Makes zero sense.
Right...the ONLY bright spot in Dec. 2020 hiring of S. Beamer was that he would bring an exciting and attractive offense to town. Did anybody see the Tennessee -SC game this year? Anyway....when he made some early statements of what "his" offense would be I worried heavily....and it has only gotten worse. There are lots of Air Raid guys out there....and he couldn't or didn't want to bring any of them on board to run the offense because he thought what Oklahoma has been doing the last 20 years hasn't been productive enough? Sheesh.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Jeff Scott, Tony Elliott, Brent Venables Say Hello. If the money is right then Top Coordinators will Come. But we will not pay 2 Million Dollars For a OC, because Our Admin and the AD are not Committed to Winning, We are always Committed to some ridiculous Budget Constraints
good god....smdh.
Dabo is/was/has never been/never will be anything close to Shane Beamer....unfortunately for all of "us" who are Gamecock fans.
Venables was run out of Norman because he had a couple years where top offenses couldn't be stopped. He needed a job....and could've gone a few places but landing in weak as water ACC and Clemson was his best move ever.
I absolutely hate these historically STUPID Clemson/Dabo comparisons to Shane Beamer and South Carolina. I think Shane's family has been dispatched on FGF to promote his shortcomings as positives.

Note to the SB family: The Big East sucks (sucked) and the ACC sucks (and sucked). Frank would've been fired in 2-3 years if he coached in a male football league in the late 80s through 2000s. Sorry but true.

He's not a mobile QB guy.
I don't see how any team that's not one of the elite, doesn't pursue a mobile QB type of offense.
LOL...yeah I'll say Bobo is not a mobile QB guy. He didn't think D. Watson or M. Rudolph were much...he opted to go with the Stratford QB. SMH....what a fool he is. If that idiot would've had enough sense to take Watson...and let Park go to ECU or wherever he belonged....Clemson wouldn't have gotten a generational QB....and maybe then wouldn't have gotten T. Lawrence because there would be no recent NC. So....IMO Bobo owes South Carolina 24.9 million dollars by 2023 for emotional distress.

Reactions: TAV31
Beamer wasn’t the only one told to retain Bobo which is what drew the process out long enough for Beamer to be pushed in as he was willing to do whatever to get the job.
That's what I thought all along. But I can tell you that I have asked several people who actually know what happened about this, and they deny it. They claim that Beamer wanted Bobo to be OC and gave him free reign to hire his own offensive line coach. They got a better deal and bolted to Auburn. (Actually, the deal wasn't that much better, but they felt coaching at Auburn would be better for their career.)

I don't understand why we court these old Georgia coaches and players. I know they are professionals, but deep inside you have to wonder where their loyalties lie. If Beamer can get his staff straightened out (on offense) I think he will be a good coach because he wants to be a Gamecock.

Reactions: rogue cock
That's what I thought all along. But I can tell you that I have asked several people who actually know what happened about this, and they deny it. They claim that Beamer wanted Bobo to be OC and gave him free reign to hire his own offensive line coach. They got a better deal and bolted to Auburn. (Actually, the deal wasn't that much better, but they felt coaching at Auburn would be better for their career.)

I don't understand why we court these old Georgia coaches and players. I know they are professionals, but deep inside you have to wonder where their loyalties lie. If Beamer can get his staff straightened out (on offense) I think he will be a good coach because he wants to be a Gamecock.
I don’t doubt that Beamer said he wanted Bobo. I’m pretty sure those conversations about Bobo’s involvement were had long before he started getting the big push to the job. Considering what he ended up with Bobo would have been a better choice.

That said Tanner’s first choice was also pressured to retain Bobo which drug the negotiations out. Then when that was worked out the BOT got personally involved in the deal and killed it. Whether that was because of Tanner and the Muschamp mess or someone trying to kill the deal so Beamer would be the pick is unknown.

I do like Shane and I think everyone is going to have to understand we’re getting growing pains. He does want to be her and he does want to succeed and he is going to make mistakes. He made a bad last minute OC hire and I don’t see if getting remedied at the end of this season. Whether it ultimately works out or not who knows but we’re all going to watch the mistakes and successes he has while trying to figure out the HC thing.

I don’t doubt that Beamer said he wanted Bobo. I’m pretty sure those conversations about Bobo’s involvement were had long before he started getting the big push to the job. Considering what he ended up with Bobo would have been a better choice.

That said Tanner’s first choice was also pressured to retain Bobo which drug the negotiations out. Then when that was worked out the BOT got personally involved in the deal and killed it. Whether that was because of Tanner and the Muschamp mess or someone trying to kill the deal so Beamer would be the pick is unknown.

I do like Shane and I think everyone is going to have to understand we’re getting growing pains. He does want to be her and he does want to succeed and he is going to make mistakes. He made a bad last minute OC hire and I don’t see if getting remedied at the end of this season. Whether it ultimately works out or not who knows but we’re all going to watch the mistakes and successes he has while trying to figure out the HC thing.
Was Tanner's first choice Napier?

Reactions: rogue cock
Bobo made chicken salad from chicken sh*t last year when we had the conferences leading rusher. At that time we retained Des too. Those were no brainers at the time. And the fact that Bobo ended up at Auburn AFTER he signed a contract with us, let’s you know that he was in demand.
The timeline is important when you look at the hires Beamer made.

1. Jan 7, 2021 - Bobo announced as new OC at Auburn at $1.3M per year
2. Jan 7, 2021 - Satterfield announced as new OC at South Carolina at $900K per year for 2 years
3. Jan 15, 2021 - BOT approves salary increase for RB Coach, Des Kitchings from $300K to $420K per year for 2 years
4. Jan 28, 2021 - Atlanta Falcons hire Des Kitchings as RB coach (salary unknown, but assistant coaches in the NFL, especially in their first stint, do not make what Des would have made at USC)
5. Feb 5, 2021 - Montario Hardesty announced as new RB at South Carolina at $300K per year

Does it look like Beamer really put a lot of thought into these hires?
Does anyone think think that Satterfield was a better hire at OC than even Des Kitchings?
Des has ties to the state, was an excellent recruiter within our recruiting footprint, had been an AHC in charge of the running game at NC State for several years, had been a Co- OC at NC State in charge of the RB's, showed he was a good RB coach in his first year at USC, and was one of the coaches retained by Beamer from the previous staff, so he was already here and an excellent fit regarding the culture that Beamer was trying to build at USC.

Kitchings bolted for the Falcons because he was pissed, IMHO. Once Bobo bolted, what did Beamer do? He probably made one phone call to the last person on his list and hired his old friend on the spot. That was an emotional reaction in what can only be described as an 'I will show you' moment that only a rookie HC would make. There is simply no way in Hell that Beamer put a lot of thought or effort into replacing Bobo. He would have been better served promoting Des to OC in charge of the RB's, and then would have only needed to hire a QB coach.

Reactions: broken_cock_
Was Tanner's first choice Napier?

I like how this is going to be the narrative with no indication it’s even remotely true.
There is certainly enough indication from multiple sources that Tanner and Napier had more or less come to an agreement. There were some stumbling blocks but those had been worked through and things were in place before the BOT took a more active role.

Sure there will be no release from the school about this and no one connected to it now is going to go on the record and discuss but depending on how things go with Beamer it will likely get out as time goes on. If Beamer works out someone within the department will tell it like we almost missed out because of Tanner and if he doesn’t then someone will tell it like Tanner took the fall because he couldn’t get his guy.

My guess is in about 3 years one way or the other it will likely be part of the story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT