ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield

He’s gotta go and maybe that’s a right now thing, as in on the sideline like Right Now!
What are offensive coordinators that suck Alex.

Loyalty is such a guarantee of failure when it is blind. People were willing to overlook last year entirely once we played ok in the bowl. Satterfield had to go. Beamer's career as a headcoach will be short unless he starts making decisions that may require the firing of a friend.

This debacle was a total effort but we need to go after a real OC at seasons end. And then let that guy bring in the OL coach he wants. If Shane is going to be a CEO coach he’s got to cut away the dead weight each year and tell Ole Ray what the heck he needs to be successful

This debacle was a total effort but we need to go after a real OC at seasons end. And then let that guy bring in the OL coach he wants. If Shane is going to be a CEO coach he’s got to cut away the dead weight each year and tell Ole Ray what the heck he needs to be successful
I said we should find the best OC at a non power 5 school and have him fill in a check.

DC & ST coaches were solid hires. OC was not. Shane has to live with this for now.

exactly right. There are loads of talented OCs. There re loads of competent OCs. There are many cutting edge guys at various levels if you are the gambling type. There are guys that are 100% loyal to certain type of offensive systems. Pick one....but pick one with a bit of a resume, some proven track record of showing HIS talent for this type of job and an eagerness and ambition to prove he can do this job on this (SEC) elite level.

Reactions: Jbouton2
DC & ST coaches were solid hires. OC was not. Shane has to live with this for now.
I agree.

I was not in favor of hiring Beamer. I preferred an experienced, successful FBS Head Coach like Billy Napier or Jamey Chadwell of Coastal Carolina. If you take a look at our 8 hires since 1975, 4 had successful experience as FBS Head Coaches: Carlin, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier. I would not say they were huge successes here. But all 4 accomplished multiple things never done here prior to their arrival. Carlin won 8 games (a big stumbling block here at the time) twice and recruited a Heisman Trophy winner. Morrison won 10 games in his 2nd season here (the most ever at that time), won 8 games two other times and produced two Top 15 teams. Holtz produced a Top 15 and a Top 20 team. And he beat a blue blood traditional national power (Ohio State) twice in bowls (never had we done that previously). Spurrier did something never done before here: produced a TOP 10 team (did that 3 times, including number 4 in the nation).

The other 4 hires were Richard Bell, Sparky Woods, Brad Scott and Will Muschamp. None had previously had successful FBS Head Coaching experience (Woods experience was in the Southern Conference). Their records at SC speak for themselves.

Beamer not firing Satterfield after last season was unbelievable (I suppose that being a groomsman in his wedding counted for a lot in Beamer's eyes). There were only 2 times last season that Satterfield's offenses lighted up the scoreboard: Florida and North Carolina. In both instances, Satterfield had more than one week to prepare (Texas A&M better watch out this season).

If it was up to me, I'd give Satterfield the boot tonight and make Justin Stepp the interim OC. If it works out ....great. If not, go out and bring in a proven OC. Satterfield is NOT that. In 5 seasons as an OC, he has never produced a Top 50 offense. I don't think he will this season either.

Why is it so much Coach Satterfield. I think Coach White took the last 2 games and went on vacation. We defiantly need more coaching on both sides of the ball. Coach Beamer deserves better. I am glad we got Beamer and would not like Kirby after watching him on the side lines. Coach beamer looks more like a Coach should act on the side lines.

Shane is no amateur. He coached for 20 yrs before getting his first HC gig. And don't forget his dad is Frank.

Remember how posters referenced Swinney and about how Swinney survived a rough start to evolve by hiring high-end coordinators?

I hate to use Swinney as a guide, but Shane is going to have to build that kind of staff and it starts by firing/hiring.

Also, don't forget that Steve struggled with asst coaches for 4-5 yrs. Bringing in G.A. Mangus, Eric Wolford, Shane Beamer, & Ellis Johnson really made a difference in those great years Steve had.

Remember how posters referenced Swinney and about how Swinney survived a rough start to evolve by hiring high-end coordinators?

I hate to use Swinney as a guide, but Shane is going to have to build that kind of staff and it starts by firing/hiring.

Agree that Shane needs to build a staff around him that has a bit more experience.

My only disagreement is the idea that Dabo went "high end". He certainly did that on defense, but was mocked by many on here for going cheap and hiring an OC from a small school that was a year removed from coaching highschool.

Reactions: Flameout12
Guys, the OC doesn't matter. None of yhese coaches are the geniuses some make them out to be, nor are they the idiots some make them out to be. It isn't rocket science and it is a copycat game. It is always about talent. Ever notice how all the supposed genius coaches also seem to have the best talent? Seems to work that way. Not saying that Satterfield is anything special, but you could have the greatest offensive mind in the history of football on that sideline and its would make little difference. Especially against upper level competition. Wide outs can't get separation. OL can't block them. That severely limits what will work. USC is in a bad position. The 2nd rate football program in a small state with little hope of recruiting well enough at this point in time to compete with the most relevant teams they would need to beat to have an upper level program. Not fun to think about it, but that is the hard truth.

Guys, the OC doesn't matter. None of yhese coaches are the geniuses some make them out to be, nor are they the idiots some make them out to be. It isn't rocket science and it is a copycat game. It is always about talent. Ever notice how all the supposed genius coaches also seem to have the best talent? Seems to work that way. Not saying that Satterfield is anything special, but you could have the greatest offensive mind in the history of football on that sideline and its would make little difference. Especially against upper level competition. Wide outs can't get separation. OL can't block them. That severely limits what will work. USC is in a bad position. The 2nd rate football program in a small state with little hope of recruiting well enough at this point in time to compete with the most relevant teams they would need to beat to have an upper level program. Not fun to think about it, but that is the hard truth.
A Head Coach with no history of being a successful Head Coach does not have a lot of time to show recruits he can be successful. Someone like Spurrier would have the time because he had proven that he could do it. If Shane's program is muddling along in Year 3, there will be nothing he could do from then on to attract recruits. Thus, Shane Beamer's window of opportunity is short and will close before we know it.

Reactions: bucketdad
Guys, the OC doesn't matter. None of yhese coaches are the geniuses some make them out to be, nor are they the idiots some make them out to be. It isn't rocket science and it is a copycat game. It is always about talent. Ever notice how all the supposed genius coaches also seem to have the best talent? Seems to work that way. Not saying that Satterfield is anything special, but you could have the greatest offensive mind in the history of football on that sideline and its would make little difference.

I agree it would make little difference against UGA, but disagree that it wouldn't make a difference against the likes of Arkansas.

There are coaches who get more from their players, and out scheme opponents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Jr
That is total hogwash. The state of SC is roughly the same size as the state of Alabama in population. Alabama has two perennial powerhouse programs with one that is the dominate program in the nation. Additionally, there are over 6 million people within 150 miles of Columbia. Charlotte is one of our biggest recruiting areas and is only 90 miles from Columbia - closer that Chapel Hill and Raleigh. Augusta and Savannah are right on our border and both are closer to Columbia than to Athens. I am sick of hearing the "small state" excuse, because that is all it is - an excuse that is not true.

I agree it would make little difference against UGA, but disagree that it wouldn't make a difference against the limes of Arkansas.

I agree—there are some coaches who can do more with less. Thus far Beamer & assistants do not

I still want to be optimistic about Beamer. Games like this past UGA game don’t help his case. But I guess we still have some games to play out.
I had no confidence in Ray Tanner as an athletic director prior to him even hiring Beamer. From Tanners’ previous decision to hire Mushamp and giving him all these extravagant raises and contact extensions and buyouts even after blowout losses…… To what Tanner was saying about how he was going to hire the future coach (who ended up being Beamer) on the cheap- the man should have been removed from office for the sake of Gamecock football. If not reassigned or fired- then banned from being involved in the coaching search at the very least.

I agree—there are some coaches who can do more with less. Thus far Beamer & assistants do not
This is the first time I have read a Lurker123 comment in, I think 1 1/2 -2 years. Your response to him got me curious. I must say he is spot on regarding that!!!!

I still want to be optimistic about Beamer. Games like this past UGA game don’t help his case. But I guess we still have some games to play out.
I had no confidence in Ray Tanner as an athletic director prior to him even hiring Beamer. From Tanners’ previous decision to hire Mushamp and giving him all these extravagant raises and contact extensions and buyouts even after blowout losses…… To what Tanner was saying about how he was going to hire the future coach (who ended up being Beamer) on the cheap- the man should have been removed from office for the sake of Gamecock football. If not reassigned or fired- then banned from being involved in the coaching search at the very least.
I'm no fan of RT. But, I'm not so sure Beamer was HIS decision. That's based on people I have spoken to, not what's on-line. And I mean people with contacts at the very highest at the university. Often times, we don't know what we don't know. Again, I'm no fan of Ray Tanner, the AD. Now, Ray Tanner, the baseball coach, is another matter.

This is the first time I have read a Lurker123 comment in, I think 1 1/2 -2 years. Your response to him got me curious. I must say he is spot on regarding that!!!!

I have never seen someone so fixated with talking about how they're supposedly ignoring someone.

It's both pathetic and very amusing to me.

Two new things for you, congratulations.

But remember, you're pretending to ignore me. Replying to posts shatters that illusion.
I said I took you off ignore for the first time in 1/1/2 -2 years after having read 1982's response to you that got my curiosity up. This is the first time I have responded, much less read what you said. Now, if you want to stay mad, that's your right. i have no control over that. But, if that's what you prefer, it's one-way.

I said I took you off ignore for the first time in 1/1/2 -2 years after having read 1982's response to you that got my curiosity up. This is the first time I have responded, much less read what you said. Now, if you want to stay mad, that's your right. i have no control over that. But, if that's what you prefer, it's one-way.

Actually, you didn't say you took me off ignore.

This is the first time I have read a Lurker123 comment in, I think 1 1/2 -2 years.

But that might be splitting hairs. Or maybe you are really just unaware that you can read posts without taking people off ignore. I remember you weren't even aware of the ignore function till I told you.

But don't worry about me being "mad". As I stated earlier, your pretend ignoring was amusing.

Can you read one's response without taking one off ignore? I clicked on whatever it was to read what you said. I don't recall you telling me about "ignore". I do recall saying I would not read your posts and later finding that they have the "ignore" function here. That was the point. As I said, you can stay mad. But, it's a one-way street.

Can you read one's response without taking one off ignore? I clicked on whatever it was to read what you said. I don't recall you telling me about "ignore". I do recall saying I would not read your posts and later finding that they have the "ignore" function here. That was the point. As I said, you can stay mad. But, it's a one-way street.

Yes you can. You click on "show ignored content" on the post.

I do recall telling you about the ignore. Here's a link.

You're quote: If they had an IGNORE feature here, I'd put you on it.

Two posts below I respond:

Edit: oh yeah, there is an ignore feature, if you want to really hide from people correcting you.

A few weeks later you posted about finding the ignore feature, and supposedly used it.

If it helps you to pretend I'm mad, go for it. Just makes it funnier to me. Which means it works as well as the pretending to ignore.

Yes you can. You click on "show ignored content" on the post.

I do recall telling you about the ignore. Here's a link.

You're quote: If they had an IGNORE feature here, I'd put you on it.

Two posts below I respond:

Edit: oh yeah, there is an ignore feature, if you want to really hide from people correcting you.

A few weeks later you posted about finding the ignore feature, and supposedly used it.

If it helps you to pretend I'm mad, go for it. Just makes it funnier to me. Which means it works as well as the pretending to ignore.
Again, I stopped reading you about 1/1/2 to 2 years ago. Thus, I did not read whatever you posted after I said that.

I complimented you. Take the compliment. My goodness.

Again, I stopped reading you about 1/1/2 to 2 years ago. Thus, I did not read whatever you posted after I said that.

I complimented you. Take the compliment. My goodness.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that you "found" the ignore feature after being told about it.

And yeah, you're the one who stopped being "mad" two years ago. I think date on the below was 4 months ago.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that you "found" the ignore feature after being told about it.

And yeah, you're the one who stopped being "mad" two years ago. I think date on the below was 4 months ago.

I did not find "ignore" due to you. Again, I stopped reading you 1/1/2 to 2 years ago, after I said I would stop reading you. What you said after that, I don't know.

I did not say anything about two years ago or 4 months ago. I complimented you TODAY. I am not going to continue this back and forth regarding this. If you don't want to take the compliment that I gave, suit yourself.

I did not find "ignore" due to you. Again, I stopped reading you 1/1/2 to 2 years ago, after I said I would stop reading you. What you said after that, I don't know.

I did not say anything about two years ago or 4 months ago. I complimented you TODAY. I am not going to continue this back and forth regarding this. If you don't want to take the compliment that I gave, suit yourself.

Given your history of "insincerity", you'll understand that I don't believe you, especially when you were liking my posts just a few months ago.

And with today's revelation that, although you're supposedly not "mad", you actually went to another board recently and sent what you thought were private messages about me to another poster, I am not surprised in the least that you'll make a hasty withdrawal.

Perhaps the next time you want to pay a compliment, try not to couple it with a years old whining about pretending to ignore someone? Just a thought.

Last edited:
It appears to be a good/best friend type of relationship. Tough to tell your buddy he sucks at what he does.

That is total hogwash. The state of SC is roughly the same size as the state of Alabama in population. Alabama has two perennial powerhouse programs with one that is the dominate program in the nation. Additionally, there are over 6 million people within 150 miles of Columbia. Charlotte is one of our biggest recruiting areas and is only 90 miles from Columbia - closer that Chapel Hill and Raleigh. Augusta and Savannah are right on our border and both are closer to Columbia than to Athens. I am sick of hearing the "small state" excuse, because that is all it is - an excuse that is not true.
Well, let's say your theory is correct. Doesn't change the fact that USC doesn't get enough players to be viable from SC, or Charlotte. Where are all of these great SC players? They surely aren't on the USC sideline. Charlotte is no pipeline. Clemson can go get what they want. Ditto UNC and then NCSU. Then USC gets what might be left over.

I agree it would make little difference against UGA, but disagree that it wouldn't make a difference against the likes of Arkansas.

Once again, this ain't rocket science. If you can't block folks, it doesn't matter what you call

A Head Coach with no history of being a successful Head Coach does not have a lot of time to show recruits he can be successful. Someone like Spurrier would have the time because he had proven that he could do it. If Shane's program is muddling along in Year 3, there will be nothing he could do from then on to attract recruits. Thus, Shane Beamer's window of opportunity is short and will close before
Oh, I dont know about that. I could see them dragging it out for years. They hired on the cheap with the guy that demanded nothing other than to be a HC. And USC I believe is happy whether they win, or lose, as long as they cash that SEC check every month. If that isn't the case, Beamer is never hired, and the candidates that had interviews would have been a whole lot different.

Reactions: Lurker123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT