ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Elliot and Georgia State go to 3rd Bowl Game in Last 5 Years...

Muschamp has won 26 games since 2016 in the SEC and has been bowl eligible 3 of 4 years. Elliott has won 19 since 2016 in the Sunbelt and has been bowl eligible 2 of 4 years.

Muschamp went 6-7 with the team that Elliott led to a 1-5 record.

How did we screw up by not hiring Elliott?

Muschamp has won 26 games since 2016 in the SEC and has been bowl eligible 3 of 4 years. Elliott has won 19 since 2016 in the Sunbelt and has been bowl eligible 2 of 4 years.

Some people are living in a fantasy dream where average coaches turn into Saban.

Reactions: howard13
We sure screwed that up by passing on Elliott. But Carolina has a bad habit of doing that. Just think where our basketball program would be if we had not passed on Gregg Marshall.

Spot on. Not too late even now.

Spot on. Not too late even now.

I think we can all agree passing on Riley was the biggest mistake in Rays tenure.. scared to take a chance? Or maybe, just crazily maybe, he’s just a great baseball coach!!!!’

Sorry..still gets me amped. Duke never tried to make Coach K AD and he is royalty there. We handled our successes in baseball and football soooo poorly. I think that’s what is so frustrating to lifelong fans.. I’m only 37 but the foundation was laid w Spurrier and we Squandered it and just bf that a dynasty was brewing on the diamond and we screwed that up too. I’m venting but I also feel that I’m correct. Someone tell me I’m not and why please..

Reactions: SOSUSC and howard13

I don't think Elliott had Jake.

I don't think Elliott had Jake.

He had Perry Orth. Elliott had Carolina competitive in every game. Citadel loss hurt him, though.

ZYCn1s8.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SOSUSC

The better question is how are each trending?

Muschamp took over an SEC program that was shortly removed from 10 win seasons. Elliott took over a program that had one winning season in their 7 year history.

Muschamp was shut out by UVA in a bowl game. Elliott won the first bowl game in program history at Georgia State.

Muschamp had Bentley, Dowdle and Turner. Elliott had Orth, Wilds and Williams.

Muschamp has never had a team improve under his tenure. His best success has always come from the prior staffs leftovers. Elliott has now won games with his recruits.

So the most wins Elliott has had is 7 in a season (he had 2 in his 2nd season) but somehow that translates into he would have been successful here? Elliott is a good dude but quite frankly his OL’s weren’t that good here and I doubt he could bring in an SEC worthy staff. Now before you say it, I’m not saying this in defense of Muschamp. Champ is not the answer but Elliott would have fared no better. This mind set is the same as the people who always argue the backup QB should be playing.

Reactions: howard13
Can someone explain to me this weird perception that the oline was bad under Elliott? I need someone to help me understand he 1000 yard rushers, Thompson’s record setting passing year and the PPG with such a bad oline. The only thing I have ever figured out is that people don’t understand how oline play actually works but I’m open to other reasons.

I think we would’ve done ok with giving Elliot a shot..a few staff changes and a renewed interest in recruiting..you never know but that boat has sailed..

Probably the same folks now B____________ are probably the same ones that were saying H___ no after the Citadel loss.

Look, I have nothing against Coach Elliott, and I wish him great success. But some of you need to get a grip - you always want what we don't have even though you would have been popping gaskets if he got hired after going 1-5 and losing to The Citadel. In any event, is he in the discussion for any Power 5 opening? Again, I hope he makes it, but the fact that he is not even a rumor anywhere tells you what you need to know.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT