ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Elliott

He would obviously have been a better choice than Muschamp, and would not have cost us anything either. Also took a good Clemson team to the limit, and were it not for an end zone pic we could have beaten them.
As it turned out....probably true. But then again how much pressure would he have felt to keep Junior and Scotty on staff? We had quite a few poor and lazy coaches on that staff at the end.....none of which were of course Elliott's fault.

As it turned out....probably true. But then again how much pressure would he have felt to keep Junior and Scotty on staff? We had quite a few poor and lazy coaches on that staff at the end.....none of which were of course Elliott's fault.
Who are Junior and Scotty, and were they not good coaches, or did nepotism cast a dim light on their abilities?

Who are Junior and Scotty, and were they not good coaches, or did nepotism cast a dim light on their abilities?
Steve Junior and Scotty Spurrier. Junior was a terrible RC....he had to work hard to destroy every recruiting connection in SC that EJ and Lawing worked so hard to reestablish. Junior was blessed with a number of highly regarded receivers....hard to judge his coaching based on that. Scotty....who knows, you never heard a word about him....and that's not necessarily good.

That's hard to say. But I think he would have gotten it right - maybe not in year #1, but soon after. The thing about Shawn is he wanted SC to do well. I think CWM wanted CWM to do well by putting his "favorites" in the NFL.

To put that in perspective, he also lost to the Citadel and was 1-5 in the interim. He is in a good spot where he's at.
Ga State was a perfect place to learn and improve on the job as a head coach -- they had nowhere to go but up as they were still a new program. Sounds like he's learned a lot and has them on solid footing.

To put that in perspective, he also lost to the Citadel and was 1-5 in the interim. He is in a good spot where he's at.
Keep worrying about that while he’s won 30 games at Georgia State while we won 28 games over that same time period. He’s also won more bowl games than we’ve been to during that time period. But by all means keep focusing on that Citadel game with a team whose former head coach had quit on them a few weeks before.

Steve Junior and Scotty Spurrier. Junior was a terrible RC....he had to work hard to destroy every recruiting connection in SC that EJ and Lawing worked so hard to reestablish. Junior was blessed with a number of highly regarded receivers....hard to judge his coaching based on that. Scotty....who knows, you never heard a word about him....and that's not necessarily good.
No mention of Shane building those connections? He was RC before him and a lot of SC HS coaches still say he was the best recruiter we've had.

No mention of Shane building those connections? He was RC before him and a lot of SC HS coaches still say he was the best recruiter we've had.
Don't know whether he did or not.....or did he simply use well and maintain the network others established? Know that EJ and Lawing because of their prior history in SC did....especially EJ who was very popular with HS coaches. Yes, Beamer was a good recruiter....but as far as I know didn't have a good or bad reputation in SC prior to his arrival.

Don't know whether he did or not.....or did he simply use well and maintain the network others established? Know that EJ and Lawing because of their prior history in SC did....especially EJ who was very popular with HS coaches. Yes, Beamer was a good recruiter....but as far as I know didn't have a good or bad reputation in SC prior to his arrival.
Fair, he built his relationships while here.

Reactions: rogue cock
He would obviously have been a better choice than Muschamp, and would not have cost us anything either. Also took a good Clemson team to the limit, and were it not for an end zone pic we could have beaten them.
I agree. Much better choice for a coach than Muschamp, and I think the performance against Clemson alone should have gotten him the job to see what he could do with it. JMO. That guy is a Gamecock in his heart and I’m glad he is having success.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I like Elliot as a Coach and Gamecock. He was so intense, head butting players before games and getting everyone hyped up. Not sure how good of a H/C he would have made for us. But I’m glad that he is doing well and wish him success wherever he goes.

Back in 2015 was a turbulent time. Honestly I didn’t care to have Elliott as HC. I thought Tanner and the powers that be was capable of making a very good hire to replace Spurrier. It was odd to me that Tanner hired the guy who we(UofSC) just caused FL to fire….. but I assumed that Ray must know something about Muschamp that we didn’t. I was wrong.

I like to think what if Elliott was promoted to H/C and Muschamp was brought over as a D/C?

Last edited:
If not for the Citadel loss, I think Elliott gets a serious look, but I still think Ray hires someone else. We hired Muschamp after our first candidates didn’t pan out. Quite frankly, I believe it was based on his reputation alone (which should have been destroyed by his stint in Florida). It certainly had nothing to do with his success or potential as a head coach.

As far as Beamer, I can tell you that the majority of school administrators and coaches I have come in contact with give Beamer very high marks. Talk about his persona as the everyday man that you can relate to.

I do find it amusing that some on this board would go to bat for Elliott, but trash the Beamer hire for his lack of experience.

If not for the Citadel loss, I think Elliott gets a serious look, but I still think Ray hires someone else. We hired Muschamp after our first candidates didn’t pan out. Quite frankly, I believe it was based on his reputation alone (which should have been destroyed by his stint in Florida). It certainly had nothing to do with his success or potential as a head coach.

As far as Beamer, I can tell you that the majority of school administrators and coaches I have come in contact with give Beamer very high marks. Talk about his persona as the everyday man that you can relate to.

I do find it amusing that some on this board would go to bat for Elliott, but trash the Beamer hire for his lack of experience.
We struck out on more than just our first and should've offered Riley, but of course we wouldn't have kept him if Oklahoma couldn't. It's also worth noting that it's a bit of a difference because Elliott was Co-OC before and would've kept GA most likely.

Elliott had no chance to get the job once we lost to The Citadel. While not completely his fault…no way we can make that hire. Muschamp sucked and we probably would’ve been better off with Elliott. But at the time, neither should’ve been hired.
Word in the street, and I've heard this from a few sources, was we aren't half the citadel week prepping for Clemson and if not for that last TD being called back he would've gotten away with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT