ADVERTISEMENT

So Marcus just tweeted...

Last night I was reading about several incidents where Chinese Americans were being verbally attacked in public by people yelling at them that they caused the “Chinese virus” - I assume taking their cues from the politically charged discussion about the virus.

one journalist posted screen shots where someone on Facebook had called her some very disgusting names and talked about the shape of her eyes... also threatening her with violence. it was awful.

that’s why I hate to see people calling it the “Chinese virus.” It’s not that I care they describe where it came from. It’s because I know people WILL take that phrase and try to punish innocent Chinese people. I also know the people really pushing that phrase also know that some innocent people somewhere- somehow will end up hurt. It’s just awful, hateful behavior.
It was started by the “Idiot in Chief” !Sick

you are right. I didn’t read it correctly. you wrote...

While some might do that, I know I don’t.

Maybe it’s because many black people in america have a particular history that would cause them to believe something like that. Just maybe....

Yep, it is always the fault of someone else.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Don't believe anyone is questioning if ML is a good person or that he is lying. Some on here, just don't scream racism without knowing all the facts.
Devils advocate: They are admittedly are speeding, admittedly acting nervous, with sc tags in Ohio.

Me (white) and a friend(also white) got pulled over on the interstate (about 20-30 mins away from school) in SC back in high school. We were not speeding but friend had NC tags b/c one of his parents lived in NC. We were respectful, well mannered, in dress pants- ties (had an away basketball game), but probably acting a little nervous ( we were kids). They still made us get out patted us down, had to explain where we were going etc. We waited for 30ish mins while they still searched the car, took everything out of our duffle bags with jerseys and gear, brought the dogs out , etc... Shit happens, they didn't explain why they searched us and we didn't ask. We were given no ticket (we were not speeding or breaking any laws). The officer that pulled us over was an African American officer and never did it pop in my head that he was a "racist". I just remember thinking "cops are assholes". I guess that's my "privilege" though.
But its not "apples to apples". It sucks that this happened to you, but being black in America is a much different experience than being white. You can not assume its an equal, similar experience. You. Just. Can't.

Those are locations, not people.

I think even you understand the difference and difference in context.

No, what I know is if you look hard enough,anything can offend somebody. The same knuckleheads that are saying "Chinese flu" is racist also say Wuhan flu is racist. Spanish flu gets a pass because it was pre-Trump. Of all of the important things that are happening right now, this is about as trivial as it gets, even you should be able to understand that.

No, what I know is if you look hard enough,anything can offend somebody. The same knuckleheads that are saying "Chinese flu" is racist also say Wuhan flu is racist. Spanish flu gets a pass because it was pre-Trump. Of all of the important things that are happening right now, this is about as trivial as it gets, even you should be able to understand that.

But that works both ways. It is trivial. But extremists on the right have spent a week insisting it must be called the Chinese flu- as if it matters now.

scientiests don’t call it that. Docotors aren’t calling it that. A few people with a political ax to grind are calling it that.

I’ll stick with the great majority of the scientists and medical professionals on it instead of the political actors and talk show hosts.

But that works both ways. It is trivial. But extremists on the right have spent a week insisting it must be called the Chinese flu- as if it matters now.

scientiests don’t call it that. Docotors aren’t calling it that. A few people with a political ax to grind are calling it that.

I’ll stick with the great majority of the scientists and medical professionals on it instead of the political actors and talk show hosts.

The "extremists on the right" have nothing but the power of words. That power can be heeded, or ignored. Hopefully, when these "extremists" utter words of wisdom, those labeling them as such will heed the wise words.

Their counterparts, the Chinese Communists and their lackeys in the US media have much more power. The Chinese Communists are responsible for hiding the effects of the virus, intimidating the doctors and medical personnel who were reporting what they saw, welding people with their virus into their homes, etc. They are calling those who call it the Wuhan Virus, or Chinese Virus racist.

Why must you insist on on following the ChiComm/US media talking points?

Once again, it simply comes down to having been around the block a few times. I'm not saying Marcus is lying. All I know is that I've heard one side of the story. Once you've been around a while you learn it's not usually wise to build an opinion based on one side of a story.
Nah, it's only a few guys on our football team whose word is golden and most of us know who they are. It's like me questioning Connor Shaw or Dylan Thompson. Most guys I would certainly reserve judgment, but not on this one.

"Extremists insisting it must be called the Chinese flu"? How are they INSISTING and are these the same extremists that beat up Jussie Smollet? Trump started calling it "Chinese Flu" after the Chinese Government said the virus had been planted by American soldiers. At this point, it's a little silly to say it, but it's even sillier to have people pretending that uttering the phrase is causing racist reprisals on Asians.

It's not about trusting Marcus. It's about being fair to both sides and getting both sides before demonizing someones character. If the other side of the story is exactly the way Marcus said, then show the necessary anger. It's not hurting or helping either side to get the whole story before judging the incident.
Why do you feel such an obligation to be fair. I work with and against law enforcement all the time to the point that I am pretty comfortable in figuring out what happened. I don't think you could honestly tell me that Connor Shaw is going to be pulled out of his car with police dogs over a 5mph speeding violation. I would be more inclined to reserve judgment if the stop was local. Maybe, in that case you could imagine that it was something personal. However, it's Nebraska. Marcus is some years removed from his playing career. Those officers had absolutely no idea who he was and Marcus, for just a moment, became just another black guy that could be jacked up.

Why do you feel such an obligation to be fair. I work with and against law enforcement all the time to the point that I am pretty comfortable in figuring out what happened. I don't think you could honestly tell me that Connor Shaw is going to be pulled out of his car with police dogs over a 5mph speeding violation. I would be more inclined to reserve judgment if the stop was local. Maybe, in that case you could imagine that it was something personal. However, it's Nebraska. Marcus is some years removed from his playing career. Those officers had absolutely no idea who he was and Marcus, for just a moment, became just another black guy that could be jacked up.
Unfortunately you are exactly right. Had he not been a celebrity he wouldn't have been able to get his story out as quickly as he has. It's not like this shit doesn't happen all of the time. It's called racial profiling for a reason. I just hope the officer who pulled him over loses his job over this BS.

But its not "apples to apples". It sucks that this happened to you, but being black in America is a much different experience than being white. You can not assume its an equal, similar experience. You. Just. Can't.

Of course not. Even though we broke no laws, we were no victims. It was just an inconvenience, we didn't talk back are smart mouth back (even though he seemed like a dick).
Only white people can be racist and only people of color can be victims of it. Liberals.remind.us.of.this.every.day.

JFC they were breaking the law. Had out of state tags. Got their car searched. Had to wait a little while for the dogs to come in. It happens to every race, yet only one cries racism and jump on social media to play the victim.

It was started by the “Idiot in Chief” !Sick

Can't tell if you are a triggered liberal, or if you're just as childish as he (Trump) is with the "idiot in chief", "Chine Virus", "kung Flu" stuff. I can't imagine going through life thinking that is witty or being that triggered. God Speed.

Apparently driving thru Nebraska on a road trip with his wife and gets pulled over by a cop and accused of trafficking heroin and cocaine. Can't make this stuff up. I hate it for him. Makes me angry.

Anybody on this board can slaughter me if you wish, but it's shit like this that makes me despise the cops sometimes. The best thing to say to a cop, highway patrolman or whatever else exists nowadays is simply, "I don't answer any questions without the presence of my attorney", and "I do not give you permission to search my vehicle".

JMHIFWIW

Reactions: PC31
"Extremists insisting it must be called the Chinese flu"? How are they INSISTING and are these the same extremists that beat up Jussie Smollet? Trump started calling it "Chinese Flu" after the Chinese Government said the virus had been planted by American soldiers. At this point, it's a little silly to say it, but it's even sillier to have people pretending that uttering the phrase is causing racist reprisals on Asians.

Insisting by correcting people that call it COVID19. What does it matter? Why do they insist, at this time, that it just HAS to be called as they see it. It doesn’t matter. It’s a distraction. It comes from the usual suspects. It’s predictable.

Scientists call it COVID19 including Dr Fauci. That’s good enough for me. That’s how it will be referred to in years to come anyway.

There are a lot of racist out in this old world and they all aren't white. When we were in San Diego, CA last summer and we were visiting the San Diego Zoo. My wife and I are cat lovers but we also love Big Cats. My wife had never seen a Tiger in person, and she was at some animal exhibit and I spotted a Tiger exhibit. I hollered for her to come and see the Tiger exhibit. Naturally I have a Southern Accent and when I turned around this African-American male was picking up a white woman. It didn't bother me in the least. I wanted to say, hey I have seen a lot more interracial marriages in Marion, NC than I've seen the whole time I've been in San Diego. And I'm cool with all of that. And I can name other incidents as well. And I have just recently experienced some people are actually prejudice against senior citizens.

And you can't tell me there is not racist expressed by every group of people out there to some degree. Because I have experienced otherwise. Now with that being said I am not justifying what happens to minorities, I know they have been discriminated against as I witnessed it first hand while growing up in Greenville, SC in the 50s and 60s. Although, I never personally saw anything out right bad relative to the police beating up African-Americans but I'm sure it happened.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You are speculating. I believe Marcus too but that's not the point. You hear both sides before judging. You don't know both sides and I don't either. Why rush to judgement when you can wait a day and be right?

Reactions: atl-cock
Of course not. Even though we broke no laws, we were no victims. It was just an inconvenience, we didn't talk back are smart mouth back (even though he seemed like a dick).
Only white people can be racist and only people of color can be victims of it. Liberals.remind.us.of.this.every.day.

JFC they were breaking the law. Had out of state tags. Got their car searched. Had to wait a little while for the dogs to come in. It happens to every race, yet only one cries racism and jump on social media to play the victim.
Look, I know the liberals over play their hand a ton, but it doesn't mean that its not different for African Americans. It is. It just is. Its is genuinely hard to see it if you are white.

This post exactly. If calling it the “Chinese virus” somehow helps us develop a vaccine, etc. sooner, then I’m all for it. But it doesn’t. However, it does have the distinct chance to cause harm to our fellow Americans (and others) who are of Asian descent.

So, what’s the point of doing something if it helps nothing and can only cause harm? There are nuts out there who will legitimately blame and take this out on Asians. I’m sure none of the fine people on this board are like that, but we all know they exist.
Mehh... I don’t think calling it the “Chinese Virus” leads to people making irrational racist attacks on chinese people. This was already happening when they only called it Corona Virus, well prior to the POTUS using the term “Chinese Virus”... People are reacting in fear to Chinese people because it is widely known- regardless of what you call it- that it originated in China. As ignorant as it is to lash out at all Asian people because of that, it is the ignorant people that are doing this. Racism exists and is not emboldened or strengthened by nonPC terminology. It is perpetuated by belief systems being passed from parents to kids. It is not started one day randomly from someone hearing a Whitehouse staffer say “Kung flu”. The words Kung fu and the word “Chinese” are not racist. They are making jokes about describing the virus in creative ways not denigrating a society of people. This is all over the top PC lunacy and the overreaction to this over the top PC lunacy is exactly what got Donald Trump elected. The average American is sick and fkn tired of having to tip toe around everyone’s feelings and most of us enjoy an off color joke every now and then. The reaction of shunning/ ruining lives over jokes made in the past that in today’s PC culture are deemed offensive is dangerous and needs to stop. Trump has been a champion of this mindset from the beginning and will continue to have a rabid following of supporters as long as the other side is trying to micromanage every word we speak and every action we take.

Reactions: Expro19
Anybody on this board can slaughter me if you wish, but it's shit like this that makes me despise the cops sometimes.
I've had very few encounters with LE, but about 6 weeks ago I was stopped by the AZ HP after coming off the interstate.
The patrolman's actions were aggressive and he acted scared. He made me sit on the curb and keep my hands where he could see them. He definitely overreacted and I am not someone he needed to be scared of.

When you personally experience this, then an event like the Lattimore's had is totally believable.

Can't be real. All white Republicans say this stuff is made up. Marcus should've just obeyed the speed limit.[/QUOTE
The fact that this still happens in 2020 is disgusting. Marcus is a class act, and I feel bad that he and his wife went through that. Damn it.

It happened to my daughter in a small town in South Carolina and she’s wife. All because she had out-of-state tags. K9 dogs and all. This doesn’t mean everyone is racist, it just means there are stupid people everywhere (like in Nebraska)

Insisting by correcting people that call it COVID19. What does it matter? Why do they insist, at this time, that it just HAS to be called as they see it. It doesn’t matter. It’s a distraction. It comes from the usual suspects. It’s predictable.

Scientists call it COVID19 including Dr Fauci. That’s good enough for me. That’s how it will be referred to in years to come anyway.

Again, I have yet to see anybody correct someone for calling the flu COVID 19. On the other side of that, liberals are devoting as much time as possible to this kind of minutiae using the old reliable racist labels, and all of the liberal media and politicians nod in agreement like compliant bobblehead dolls. There is a growing perception that the response, despite some early missteps,has been going along about as well as things could. They, and you wouldn't give Trump credit for anything under any circumstances.

This thread has been very eye-opening. It shows that there is some common sense in this group but that there’s also a lot of racism. If you don’t know which is which... there’s the problem.

I can somewhat agree that we’ve become too pc. You want to call the corona virus “Chinese virus”, go ahead. But know your audience! There are off-color and crude jokes that I can tell certain friends and family but I’m not going to put them out there for everyone to see. And the president has a bigger audience than the rest of us and should know better than to make crude or racist comments. Sadly, he doesn’t. He has no filter and his followers take the cue from him and thus think it’s ok to follow in his footsteps. He has no regard for how his remarks may bother or hurt others. Frankly, he’s the only president I can remember who would do that.

As for Marcus, that whole situation stinks. Pulled for going 5 mph over the speed limit is ridiculous. Having them call out a K-9 unit certainly warrants an investigation into the cop’s motives.

Again, I have yet to see anybody correct someone for calling the flu COVID 19. On the other side of that, liberals are devoting as much time as possible to this kind of minutiae using the old reliable racist labels, and all of the liberal media and politicians nod in agreement like compliant bobblehead dolls. There is a growing perception that the response, despite some early missteps,has been going along about as well as things could. They, and you wouldn't give Trump credit for anything under any circumstances.

I’ll give you an example. I was dialing through the radio yesterday while traveling and a caller to some show was telling the host about something he was doing for a neighbor. He kept saying “the virus,”. He was simply telling the host about what seemed to be a feel good story,

the host corrected him 2-3 times and said the name was “Chinese Virus.” The caller didn’t take the bait, and wasn’t calling about that. The host had a problem and he wasn’t going to get distracted off his obsession of referring to it just like Trump does. the caller never took the bait and just ignored it. It was clear he didn’t want to talk about what the name was. But the host sure did because he’s trying to turn it into a political debate.

no, I am not prone to give Trump credit for much. Even when he does good, he steps all over his own feet with his childhood name calling and personal insults. So you are correct about that.

I’ll give you an example. I was dialing through the radio yesterday while traveling and a caller to some show was telling the host about something he was doing for a neighbor. He kept saying “the virus,”. He was simply telling the host about what seemed to be a feel good story,

the host corrected him 2-3 times and said the name was “Chinese Virus.” The caller didn’t take the bait, and wasn’t calling about that. The host had a problem and he wasn’t going to get distracted off his obsession of referring to it just like Trump does. the caller never took the bait and just ignored it. It was clear he didn’t want to talk about what the name was. But the host sure did because he’s trying to turn it into a political debate.

no, I am not prone to give Trump credit for much. Even when he does good, he steps all over his own feet with his childhood name calling and personal insults. So you are correct about that.

Sad Sad Sad!

I'm sincerely enjoying all the name calling.
Reminds me of when I was a kid.
butch.png

It’s blowback against Chinese propaganda and the Chinese government trying to change the narrative, wanting to rewrite history claiming this didn’t start in China.

And it’s blowback against a highly slanted MSM who look for every opportunity to call Trump and conservatives racists, bigots, and xenophobes.

Most common sense people will understand that.

And that is one of our essential differences. When it’s someone like Marcus, I’m siding with him until proven that my confidence was misplaced. He’s essentially family to me and that’s the way I treat family.

Hes’s “essentially family” to you?

Because you used to cheer when he played?

His account is that the police told him they were searching for 30lbs of heroin and cocaine.

Pretty specific as to weight and type of drugs.

If they were just doing a drug search they’d do a drug search. They wouldn’t be telling them specifically what drugs and total weight they were looking for.

My guess is they were looking for someone specific, and Marcus happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Doesn’t make it right, doesn’t mean he was potentially guilty of trafficking drugs, but they were obviously looking for someone specific.

It’s blowback against Chinese propaganda and the Chinese government trying to change the narrative, wanting to rewrite history claiming this didn’t start in China.

And it’s blowback against a highly slanted MSM who look for every opportunity to call Trump and conservatives racists, bigots, and xenophobes.

Most common sense people will understand that.

Then that’s terrible “blowback”. Americans, Trump, and right wing radio and Fox calling it the “Chinese virus” is about as weak as “blowback” could ever be.

yelling at clouds might feel good to a few people. But it doesn't accomplish anything productive.

Hes’s “essentially family” to you?

Because you used to cheer when he played?

His account is that the police told him they were searching for 30lbs of heroin and cocaine.

Pretty specific as to weight and type of drugs.

If they were just doing a drug search they’d do a drug search. They wouldn’t be telling them specifically what drugs and total weight they were looking for.

My guess is they were looking for someone specific, and Marcus happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Doesn’t make it right, doesn’t mean he was potentially guilty of trafficking drugs, but they were obviously looking for someone specific.

Yes, I’ve met and worked with him on a project since he graduated.

I get the explanation. But I side with Marcus.

Personally, I don’t give a d**n what Trump and others call it. I’m fed up with the politically correct crap some people want to circulate.

And quite honestly, it’s not the bourbon speaking right now....I’m fed up with pseudo-elitists claiming they’re “sticking with scientists”.

I work with a fine young lady of Chinese descent. She’s been calling it “Kung Flu” and “China virus” and she totally understands that the regime in China is extremely repressive and is not only trying to rewrite history, but is also trying to sow division in this country.

So while I totally respect your option to voice your opinion, I disagree with you 100%. IMHO you’re parroting pseudo-elite crap, and I’m exercising my right to have an opinion that you’re FOS.

There are way too many people in this country who’ve been silenced by social media pushes designed to marginalize their opinions.

Frankly, I’m tired of it. Your sanctimonious harping reminds me of the 16 year old Greta who demands the rest of the world bows to her demands.

And I’m not the only one. Carry on....

Personally, I don’t give a d**n what Trump and others call it. I’m fed up with the politically correct crap some people want to circulate.

And quite honestly, it’s not the bourbon speaking right now....I’m fed up with pseudo-elitists claiming they’re “sticking with scientists”.

I work with a fine young lady of Chinese descent. She’s been calling it “Kung Flu” and “China virus” and she totally understands that the regime in China is extremely repressive and is not only trying to rewrite history, but is also trying to sow division in this country.

So while I totally respect your option to voice your opinion, I disagree with you 100%. IMHO you’re parroting pseudo-elite crap, and I’m exercising my right to have an opinion that you’re FOS.

There are way too many people in this country who’ve been silenced by social media pushes designed to marginalize their opinions.

Frankly, I’m tired of it. Your sanctimonious harping reminds me of the 16 year old Greta who demands the rest of the world bows to her demands.

And I’m not the only one. Carry on....

LOL. You can disagree all day. Big deal. that’s not important to me.

I’ll stick with what I wrote above. That you know a Chinese person that disagrees is irrelevant to the issue for me. everyone always knows someone.

you, right wing radio, Fox, and Trump can stick together. No real surprise.

Reactions: funktavious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT