ADVERTISEMENT

Some of you would bitch if Ray came back to coach the team

To be fair, most of us were watching when we won the national championships. That qualifies us to know a thing or two. ;)
I watched the Gamecocks win two national championships too, but watching someone else win a national championship does not qualify me to run an athletic department.

I guess I underestimated the knowledge, skills, and abilities of some of my fellow FGF posters. Should Kingston fail and the BOT fire Tanner, maybe some of them will get to showcase their talents.

Regardless of who leads the athletic department or coaches the Gamecocks, I hope the student athletes represent themselves and our school in a way that makes us all proud to be Gamecocks!

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

When I first joined FGF I thought it was a forum to support the programs but it has turned into a forum of whiners and moaners who can't so much as welcome a new coach aboard. It used to be about the Gamecocks now it's about posters who want attention and give insight on things they really don't know anything about. "Not who I would have hired" or "This guy is a single not a homerun" as if they really know what actually happened. It's getting almost impossible to read some of this crap from so called Gamecock fans. We are the only fans I have ever seen who actually pull against coaches and each other for the sake of being right and it is becoming pitiful. Look, hiring somebody with a so called big name doesn't promise squat like some think it will it just means they won somewhere and it does not mean they would do the same thing here. You can't please this crowd if a coach doesn't win we talk crap, if he doesn't win enough we talk crap too. Hey, those NC don't mean anything anymore they are just trophies gathering dust in a display. The worst thing a program can do is be successful then you create a monster of the followers. Chad had to go and now Chad is gone so we turn our attention to doubting coach Tanners judgment crying because we didn't get our way with the hire. Get over yourselves and support the program for crying out loud it's not going to really effect our life regardless. Man oh man....welcome coach.

I watched the Gamecocks win two national championships too, but watching someone else win a national championship does not qualify me to run an athletic department.

I guess I underestimated the knowledge, skills, and abilities of some of my fellow FGF posters. Should Kingston fail and the BOT fire Tanner, maybe some of them will get to showcase their talents.

Regardless of who leads the athletic department or coaches the Gamecocks, I hope the student athletes represent themselves and our school in a way that makes us all proud to be Gamecocks!

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
You missed my sarcasm. Sorry. My sentiment is exactly yours. Many of these fans think they know a LOT more than they actually do.

Nothing wrong with discussing a new hire. Taking unwarranted cheap shots at the new coach, Tanner or someone with a different opinion is immature. IMO, that goes both ways, whether you're for or against the hire.

Reactions: Scuba_do and 92Pony
Here is the problem ray said it is a top 3 to 5 job in the country....is Kingston one of the top 5 coaches in the country?
Just because it's a top 3-5 job does Not mean that the top 3-5 coaches will come here. That would mean they would be leaving another top program. Most won't do it, it's not a smart move. Kingston may be a top 3-5 up and coming coach. Support the hire, and if it doesn't workout, be angry then. Some people turn grey way too soon in life.

Reactions: atl-cock
I'm excited about the hire and can't wait to see the product he puts on the field. Welcome, Coach Kingston! And don't take this wrong (if you read this), stay off this board. It will make you drink sometimes. Hahaha!

GOCOCKS! BEATNCSTATE!

Can I get an Amen?
Amen!!! Guy had a top 10 ranked class at USF. D1 baseball guys all speak highly of him, Bama and Va Tech wanted him but he turned them down. Coach Tanner did his homework, had coaches he was interested in and did a very professional search.

From everything that is said about Coach Kingston we have made a good hire but some on here think if Tanner can't get a coach like O'Sullivan then he is not doing his job. Coaches entrenched are not looking to jump ship, especially after winning world series. Louisville coach wasn't leaving and neither was UVA coach. Like this hire much better than if we had pursued Monte Lee who in my eyes has seen some of his luster lose it's shine after this past season. I mean, who wants a guy who proclaims his team eats pressure like candy and then see them lose 14 straight?

Can't wait to get Coach Kingston on campus and on to recruiting trail!!!

Posted elsewhere, but will repeat here. You have to look at success based on the resources around you. Look at the programs where he has been a head coach. Neither had a good history of success. Neither paid him much. Neither had a fan base. Neither had a lot of resources to help the program be successful. Look what he did, now think about what a guy like that can do at a place that DOES have all of the above.

Illinois State
- 10 years before Kingston, 2 winning seasons.
- 5 years with Kingston - 5 winnings seasons, 2 conference championships, 1 conf. tournament championship

South Florida
- Prior to Kingston - 0 NCAAs since 2002
- 3 years with Kingston - 2 NCAAs, 40+ wins this year (first 40+ win season at USF since 1994)
- his team this year had a higher RPI than USC, and had wins over Florida and Florida State.

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place with money, facilities, history etc. to help him succeed.

Reactions: gamecock ed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT