ADVERTISEMENT

soooo..citadel cost us Herman

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing we will find out soon if Herman is the real deal or was just a "flash in the pan".
He will need to step up in competition for that to be known for sure. He can win big at Houston with their level of competition from now on. That said, he has a lot of positive markers about him. I think he will probably turn out to be for real.
But there are some great coaches, I'm thinking mainly about Urban Meyer and probably Saban, who aren't interested in doing big rebuilding jobs. They only want to go where it's been done before, and not way back in antiquity. That type will probably never come to USC off the kind of year we had.

Reactions: Tigerof66
We didn't get Herman and some think it was for the best and are glad to have WM. That's cool but still he is regarded as the "next big thing" in coaching and it was good of Tanner to go after him. No matter what anyone thinks of him turning us down. But the more I read of him and his Texas ties the more I think he would have only been a rental.

I'm way, way past Herman. We have a coach. Everything in life happens for a reason. Muschamp is going to be great here.
True that. If Herman wins a national championship at Houston, then I'll be upset that we didn't get him. Otherwise, I think we got the right guy for our team and our program.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
True that. If Herman wins a national championship at Houston, then I'll be upset that we didn't get him. Otherwise, I think we got the right guy for our team and our program.
What's a reasonable time table expectation for a NC from Champ? I'll be pleased if we're competing for the SEC year in and year out by year 4. NC should be the talk at the beginning of every season by 2020.

What's a reasonable time table expectation for a NC from Champ? I'll be pleased if we're competing for the SEC year in and year out by year 4. NC should be the talk at the beginning of every season by 2020.
I doubt we'll ever be a consistent contender for a NC... it will be a host of circumstances coming together at the right time. Even Saban wasn't great until he went to schools with long-standing football traditions.
If we contend for SEC we'll be in the NC discussion because we're in the SEC. It would be great to be there in a couple years. Depends on how many big-time recruits this staff can pull in for 2017. These guys are some of the best for sure. I guess we'll see how good they are. Things always look optimistic at this time of year.

Crappy season and Herman not having enough faith in his own ability cost us Herman.

Reactions: BigTomE
If it did cost us Herman, thanks to the Citadel! Aint his recruiting class ranked 44th? I dont think he could win consistantly in the SEC. Not sure Muschamp can either but i like our chances with him better than Herman and we shall see.

If it did cost us Herman, thanks to the Citadel! Aint his recruiting class ranked 44th? I dont think he could win consistantly in the SEC. Not sure Muschamp can either but i like our chances with him better than Herman and we shall see.
I bet he could win consistently at A&M, if that's where he really wants to be. I don't doubt he's a good coach, but I don't know that he would have felt "at home" at USC.

Herman was never coming. He played our interest for a nice pay raise at Houston for a year, or two, until a higher profile job comes along

Nice try to hijack the thread.

Still trolling, I see. What a clemsux fan.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Glad we lost. Muschamp was my first choice before Herman or Smart. All around positive news in my book.

How did Houston finish in recruiting after that blockbuster year they just had compared to us after the crappy season we had?

How did Houston finish in recruiting after that blockbuster year they just had compared to us after the crappy season we had?

Houston finished 44th, top non-P5 school. Only signed 19 players, with 1 5* and 2 4*, and average 2.89*. Their best recruiting year ever. With that said, if he let that lost keep him from coming to USC, we really do not need him. And I was one of the his strongest supporters. I also believe that Muschamp has done a better job recruiting than any other candidates could have, he was able to start right away and already had some of the relationships built with some of the recruits.

We didn't get Herman and some think it was for the best and are glad to have WM. That's cool but still he is regarded as the "next big thing" in coaching and it was good of Tanner to go after him. No matter what anyone thinks of him turning us down. But the more I read of him and his Texas ties the more I think he would have only been a rental.

I'm convinced he would only have been a rental given his Texas background.

Reactions: andypants
Good luck to Herman at Houston - he's a great coach.
So's the guy we got.
I ain't feeling 'shorted' - at all.
Things have a way of working out just like they're supposed to; we did just fine.
I too am amazed at the staff Coach Muschamp put together and the energy put into recruiting by the new coaches.

Herman will probably get the UT Job sooner rather than later. Strong's staff is in disarray. His top recruiter Vaughn, tied to the Old Miss mess, has been let go. It is likely that the NCAA will look at all of the places Vaughan has worked since 2010, Arkansas, Memphis, and Texas. I will post a link as soon as I can

Citadel cost us Herman? I doubt it. Sounds more like an excuse. All Herman had to do was look up South Carolina's recruiting rankings from 2012-15 and see that the average ranking was 17.5. The program was not lacking for talent. Muschamp himself has said we are not that far away from the 3 straight Top 10 Carolina teams. We were badly coached though, especially on defense. Time to move on from Herman. Muschamp is a diamond in the rough. I have a hunch we might have gotten lucky getting him. Just remember that Bill Bellichek and Pete Carroll did not take the NFL by storm in their first Head Coaching gigs.

Dude is like 39 years old, and I think he's wearing Rockports in that Office Space parody. Not that there's anything wrong with Rockports, but he's a little young. Besides, if that were the real reason, then he would quit anything that didn't go his way.

I will say this, he might be a better HC than Boom turns out to be, but NO ONE could've assembled a better coaching staff, and inked the recruits that were all but lost in a 6-week window. Especially a guy with little SE ties. Not even Dilbert, Jeff Scott, and the bagman.

Maybe in a few years Muschamp's D can go head-to-head with Herman's O vs. Texas in a bowl game preferably for the Championship.

Citadel cost us Herman? I doubt it. Sounds more like an excuse. All Herman had to do was look up South Carolina's recruiting rankings from 2012-15 and see that the average ranking was 17.5. The program was not lacking for talent. Muschamp himself has said we are not that far away from the 3 straight Top 10 Carolina teams. We were badly coached though, especially on defense. Time to move on from Herman. Muschamp is a diamond in the rough. I have a hunch we might have gotten lucky getting him. Just remember that Bill Bellichek and Pete Carroll did not take the NFL by storm in their first Head Coaching gigs.
I will add this on coaching. We lost Beamer, Graham, Fitzpatrick, Lawing and Johnson they were not replaced with comparable Quality coaches.

I don't buy it. We lost to The Citadel and then the next week we lost to the #1 team in the country by 5 points.

Plus PK's report came out after The Citadel game.

He used us for a raise. That's fine and happens all the time. You can't let one girl turning you down stop you from going after the next one and end up settling for the ugly chick no one else wanted.

Reactions: LazyIslander
I am calling BS on the author and his sources. Rich Rodriguez (?) has already said he wasnt offered the job. Looks like bad sources.

Did you all read the USAToday article or just read the excerpts from SDS? The original article was pretty complimentary of Muschamp.

This tells me Herman didn't want the challenge. Which also tells me that the first chance to jump ship for a better opportunity, he would.

Muschamp has a chip on his shoulder, the ability to recruit, and has hit the ground running. I think that if we are patient with Muschamp the way Clemson was with Dat boy, we will be rewarded with a great coach for the long haul.
Exactly what I was going to post. Taking over a 3 win SEC team isn't for the faint of heart, which apparently he is.

Herman's recruiting class in Houston this year was around 45th. If he'd come here, we likely would not have been in the top 30. Very possibly not the top 40. I doubt he would have the SEC pedigree that the current staff obviously has. It would have been a longer rebuild. Herman would have been filling holes with bodies and possibly a few recruits he peeled away from Houston, for whom a #45 class is respectable.

Does anyone else get tired of so called sports writers saying we offered Rich Rodriguez in and effort to slant the article to try to reflect Muschamp was 4th choice?

How else can they get someone to read a 2 month old story that everyone else has already written?

Herman would have left us for a TX school. Smart would have left us for UGA.

If we'd gotten Herman, how long would it have been before someone called us Los Pollos Hermanos?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT