ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market - buying or selling

If the market has another strong day like yesterday, it will NOT be trusted. People will be shorting, which I don't do any more. When I did short, I did not risk a lot of money. It is tough enough to navigate a market when it is going up. If you go short, and the market goes on a bull run.... well, the market can be EVIL. It is not easy. I have contemplated taking some profits in some positions. But, right now, I remain a CAUTIOUS bull.

Last edited:
No changes. Systematic buying- Never individual stocks. Only mutual funds.

Worked very well for me for 30 years now. I expect it will continue to work well.

I love buying when there is a nice sale.

The wife and I moved into a fixed account returning 4.5% per year on 403-b in 2007. We will never make millions; however, with social security and pension we hope to be able to sleep at night. I advised my father-in-law in 2007 to go the index fund…he got from 2.5 - 5.0 % each year since… while we both wished at times we had been more aggressive, our strategy for me in my 60’s and father-in-law in 80’s seemed prudent.

Reactions: Jbouton2
With 2 years left to retire I am concerned about 401k. I won’t have much time to make it up with a major correction. Survived 2008 downturn but can’t withstand that again so wondering if I should go ultra conservative

Reactions: vacock#
With 2 years left to retire I am concerned about 401k. I won’t have much time to make it up with a major correction. Survived 2008 downturn but can’t withstand that again so wondering if I should go ultra conservative
You have answered your own question, in my opinion.

I think you should be in a somewhat conservative position. However, retirement is one date- but your funds should continue to earn for years and years to come.

Just rolled over an IRA into mostly Bitcoin and Ethereum but also a few other alt coins on this current dip. Got a fairly diverse portfolio. I'd consider this a pretty good buying opportunity personally but cautiously optimistic.

I'm even testing the waters with buying a few NFTs but not getting too carried away. It's a fairly new space but has potential to grow drastically in the next few years.

No buy zone here. Too much uncertainty. Make sure you aren't overextended and wait for a better entry in the future. Money is made in the middle - not by timing tops or bottoms.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The rich don't get richer by not buying. Troughs are the perfect time to buy.
There is an old adage that goes "No guts, no glory". Personally, I'm too aggressive in my investing. I remember as a kid, playing pick up basketball. A friend would often shoot the ball, hit the rim, the ball went straight up in the air, then into the basket for 2. That same sucker, in golf, drove into the woods. The ball hits a tree and ricochets into the fairway. He'd often say, "It's better to be lucky than to be good". I told him he was crazy. But, as I've gotten older, I have come to realize that Neil (may he RIP) was right, after all. It is better to be lucky than to be good or smart. I'm certainly not smart (which is no shock to anyone here). I often wonder when that luck will run out. I have thought about cashing out and putting my money into a CD. But, CDs pay little. Of course, if the Federal Reserve increases rates like they say they will, that could change. That might give me something to think about.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Holding and putting away cash to buy in short time. Unless this war ends in a week (it won't outside of Putin being assassinated), I think there will be several more ups and downs. Just trying to time which dips will be the lowest. Either way I'll buy before the market gets back up to pre-invasion.

There is an old adage that goes "No guts, no glory". Personally, I'm too aggressive in my investing. I remember as a kid, playing pick up basketball. A friend would often shoot the ball, hit the rim, the ball went straight up in the air, then into the basket for 2. That same sucker, in golf, drove into the woods. The ball hits a tree and ricochets into the fairway. He'd often say, "It's better to be lucky than to be good". I told him he was crazy. But, as I've gotten older, I have come to realize that Neil (may he RIP) was right, after all. It is better to be lucky than to be good or smart. I'm certainly not smart (which is no shock to anyone here). I often wonder when that luck will run out. I have thought about cashing out and putting my money into a CD. But, CDs pay little. Of course, if the Federal Reserve increases rates like they say they will, that could change. That might give me something to think about.
You might consider
You might consider buying Series I bonds from the Treasury. Their rate changes every few months to match prevailing rates. For example, right now the bonds are paying 7.12 percent. You can buy them in whatever amount you desire.

Reactions: king ward
You might consider

You might consider buying Series I bonds from the Treasury. Their rate changes every few months to match prevailing rates. For example, right now the bonds are paying 7.12 percent. You can buy them in whatever amount you desire.

Thanks hahnenkampf. But as I mentioned earlier this morning, I'm still bullish, though "cautiously" so. If I was 2 years away from retirement , as 1982cock is, with 401k monies to help fund retirement, Treasury bonds might would be on my radar. Even though I'm still bullish, I trust he won't go by what I think. Even though I was a State Securities Commissioner many moons ago, I know little and claim less.

Regardless of the current conflict, it's important to remember we're now $30 Trillon in Debt and that the Fed is expected to finally raise rates in March. Plus, the 12-year QE party for those in high risk assets is winding down. This market is a total house of cards. Be careful.

Definitely buying all week. Been loading up on FDUS prior to earnings release yesterday and then saw a $1 pop after blowout earnings. The stock goes ex-dividend on the 10th. $.53 p/s. I have accumulated the stock for the past 6 years.

Early last year, I sold Russian oil stock Lukoy in the 70s. Today, it is at 6.96 with trading having been stopped. Last Fall, I sold Russian natural gas stock Gazprom in the 10s. Today, it is at 1.10 with trading having been stopped. I made money with both. I know little and claim less. So, it's better to be lucky than to be good.

Last edited:
I'm holding a significant amount of Coca Cola stock. I'm gonna give them another week, but if they continue to do business with Russia, I'm out. Not sure how it will affect the stock if they do cut ties either. Either way, I'm on the edge seat right now. Would like to replace it with another high dividend stock if I have too. Just dont know what yet.

Early last year, I sold Russian oil stock Lukoy in the 70s. Today, it is at 6.96 with trading having been stopped. Last Fall, I sold Russian natural gas stock Gazprom in the 10s. Today, it is at 1.10 with trading having been stopped. I made money with both. I know little and claim less. So, it's better to be lucky than to be good.
Amen to that !

I have an IRA from an old rollover in which I am buying QQQ, SPY and IWM on down days. 401K is still dollar cost averaging with monthly contributions. I have moved about 25% in my 401k from MM into mutual funds. I still have too much cash so I may move more this week or next week.

I am not doing anything in my taxable account. Just holding what I have - which is mostly dividend stocks.

No matter what, things could always be worse. At an investment site that I'm a member of, I read, this afternoon, someone post that he is down 300K since January 4. I, and others tried to console him.

Just find out what Pelosi is doing and do that. She has it all stacked in her favor.
This is one of the rare things that Congress does in a bi-partisan way. Senator Richard Burr and former Senator David Perdue (now running for Governor) got in trouble regarding their stock trading activity. I'm very glad to see that Senators Mark Kelly and Jon Ossoff introduced a bill to bar Congress members from trading stocks.

This is one of the rare things that Congress does in a bi-partisan way. Senator Richard Burr and former Senator David Perdue (now running for Governor) got in trouble regarding their stock trading activity. I'm very glad to see that Senators Mark Kelly and Jon Ossoff introduced a bill to bar Congress members from trading stocks.

This is absolutely necessary. Even the most novice investor could make good investments if they had the information beforehand that all these congress members have. Congress has become a place where the rich (the majority of the members of congress are certified millionaires), get richer (because even if it's not so blatant as buying a stock on insider info, the insider info will help drive investment in other, less detectable things).

Reactions: gamecock stock
Waiting to write my annual check to uncle sam and them purchasing whatever is down. Possibly DCA my own portfolio and then pick up something that is close to a 52 week low.

No matter what, things could always be worse. At an investment site that I'm a member of, I read, this afternoon, someone post that he is down 300K since January 4. I, and others tried to console him.
He’s probably got some speculation activity to lose like that in this market. Perhaps some options that didn’t work out or some short squeezes.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
He’s probably got some speculation activity to lose like that in this market. Perhaps some options that didn’t work out or some short squeezes.
I don't know if he "lost". He said he was "down" $300K. Unless he sold, he did not "lose" a dime. I'm sure seeing your account "down" $300K since the beginning of the year is a bummer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT