ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market

There is too much wrong in this post to bother with the long retort....I don’t have the time or inclination. Suffice to say I’ve been in the securities investment industry for over 30 years and follow the general political landscape closely, the above post is almost entirely without merit.
I’m hearing and reading one financial advisor after the other that say different

Anyone following NAK and the Pebble mine?
All of the trump guys on this forum and none of you have researched NAK? If we are serious about no longer relying on China for our goods, we need this mine. Trump supports the mine, which should receive ROD soon. Unfortunately, Trump Jr continues to step on daddy's feet by supporting the left's push to scrap the mine plans due to salmon spawning grounds near by. This one will go boom when the ROD is delivered. If you like to gamble, this is the ticker for you. Only $1.06 per share today.

I've talked myself out of selling Zoom a couple times, now I am wondering if it can move past $300
Sometimes the best move is no move at all. I think we
[QUOTE="Horseshoe 04, post: 5235562, member: 162
I've talked myself out of selling Zoom a couple times, now I am wondering if it can moe past $300
[

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
September - October can be a treacherous month and this is an election year. The broad market is acting toppy. The Nasdaq is pushing higher on the back of just a few stocks. Time to be a cautious investor.

The volume of business and schools, and sports using the platform is huge, I can see them with very strong & stable income going forward. Their best hook is you can demo the platform for 40 minutes for free, and they collect a lot of subscriptions from people who start with the free package. There are other players in the space (Uber, Teams, Web ex, etc.....), Zoom just seemed to catch their wave at the right moment.

New energy stocks will be big under Biden, as well as solar and biotec.
Biotec is already hot. Pretty profitable this year. Decreased regulations and quicker potential products to market have helped. I would expect a reverse course under a Democratic administration if further regulations are imposed. New Energy might be a play, but most of that is in play now. For New Energy to be stronger - it will likely be at the costs of other energy platforms. I don’t play the energy stocks too much. But, I think I could make a living trading Bio stocks - my wife just won’t let me (yet).

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Is today the official end of the bull run? Call the top?
I know you're joking. You are joking?

Anywho, today's pullback was expected and needed. But I don't see any particular catalyst other than a lot of people decided to take profits. But let's face it, the underlying economic picture ain't very bright. I think the selling will continue into tomorrow. Whether it runs into next week remains to be seen. I would not be a buyer of this dip - yet.

Anywho, today's pullback was expected and needed. But I don't see any particular catalyst other than a lot of people decided to take profits. But let's face it, the underlying economic picture ain't very bright. I think the selling will continue into tomorrow. Whether it runs into next week remains to be seen. I would not be a buyer of this dip - yet.
I was a buyer today — got a super deal on a stock that goes ex-dividend next week. It’s a BDU with an 11 percent Annual yield. I absolutely love market selloffs!

Some experts think we are seeing a rotation into value stocks and away from growth - or at least away tech growth. That might be true, but it is likely only temporary. Still, I don't think the market is going anywhere until after the election. We've likely seen the big gains for the year.

For months my stocks for the most part have taken two giant steps forward before taking one step back. Been doing that consistantly like clockwork. Actually think that's healthy. As for yesterday tho, overall positive growth for me. Mutual funds pulling me through and stock losses didnt even come.close to the gains the day before... again.

I was not joking... Well kinda, but today shows me that yesterday was more than profit taking (i thought so just based off the dramatic tumble yesterday). This is full on panic selling. May just be a blip on the radar as the market chugs along, but if people are trying to trade and time the market... I would be defensive rn. Crashes happen faster than they used to. If the last two sell offs we have seen did not prove that to you- 5-6% Disappearing over about 1.4 days or so of trading should reinforce that (already at closer to 10% for tech... Which is alarming) I am a long term investor historically and by trade but the market is different now. Be careful out there folks! This could be a rocky road ahead. Hopefully everyone knew this run up doing the worst black swan event financial collapse we have seen in my lifetime was a huge red flag for all of us. I have been anxiously celebrating my gains but anticipating this kind of selloff to happen suddenly one day without much warning. It is here. I do not short the market but try to lock in profits when I have them...

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I was not joking... Well kinda, but today shows me that yesterday was more than profit taking (i thought so just based off the dramatic tumble yesterday). This is full on panic selling. May just be a blip on the radar as the market chugs along, but if people are trying to trade and time the market... I would be defensive rn. Crashes happen faster than they used to. If the last two sell offs we have seen did not prove that to you- 5-6% Disappearing over about 1.4 days or so of trading should reinforce that (already at closer to 10% for tech... Which is alarming) I am a long term investor historically and by trade but the market is different now. Be careful out there folks! This could be a rocky road ahead. Hopefully everyone knew this run up doing the worst black swan event financial collapse we have seen in my lifetime was a huge red flag for all of us. I have been anxiously celebrating my gains but anticipating this kind of selloff to happen suddenly one day without much warning. It is here. I do not short the market but try to lock in profits when I have them...
I actually saw it coming. The market often sells off prior to a 3-day weekend. We’re also 60 days away from the election so it’s prudent to take profits now.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I actually saw it coming. The market often sells off prior to a 3-day weekend. We’re also 60 days away from the election so it’s prudent to take profits now.
EV's like WKHS are awaiting the usps vehicle contract announcement. Due by 9/31. Still a decent price to buy in. Will move back into 20's next week. NAK is awaiting approval to move forward with mining operations. Govt decision expected in the next couple of weeks. I've got a nice position on both. Looking into PLUG.

These tickers don't follow normal market trends.

The election selloff has been a spotty call historically... If you look over the course of a full election year. Never checked the days prior to a three day weekend before!

Reactions: hahnenkampf
EV's like WKHS are awaiting the usps vehicle contract announcement. Due by 9/31. Still a decent price to buy in. Will move back into 20's next week. NAK is awaiting approval to move forward with mining operations. Govt decision expected in the next couple of weeks. I've got a nice position on both. Looking into PLUG.

These tickers don't follow normal market trends.
PLUG has been all over the map when I have been it. Very speculative play.

The past two days appear to be a bit of a panic selloff but I would not be at all surprised to see it all come back strong next week. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I wouldnt be surprised at all. It's definitely a different much more volatile situation than in years past. There's not always a rhyme or reason for what takes place.

The past two days appear to be a bit of a panic selloff but I would not be at all surprised to see it all come back strong next week. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I wouldnt be surprised at all. It's definitely a different much more volatile situation than in years past. There's not always a rhyme or reason for what takes place.
That is exactly what scares me about trading these days. There is no identifiable reason for why 1- the markets blew up the way they did the past 6 months as we watched the economy fully implode around us.. Or 2- why we had a dramatic downturn The past couple sessions while we got seemingly positive jobs numbers and projections for vaccines coming much earlier than anticipated! No rhyme or reason means there are no reliable indicators to follow which makes trading/ stock investing= GAMBLING. I do not want to gamble with my life’s savings.... That is why I do not short, I do not use options or futures, or trade currency... I buy and I hold until the risk becomes more than I am comfortable with due to unpredictable market conditions or changes in my personal situation, then I take profits and watch from the sidelines until I see what appears to be more reliable circumstances emerge.

That is exactly what scares me about trading these days. There is no identifiable reason for why 1- the markets blew up the way they did the past 6 months as we watched the economy fully implode around us.. Or 2- why we had a dramatic downturn The past couple sessions while we got seemingly positive jobs numbers and projections for vaccines coming much earlier than anticipated! No rhyme or reason means there are no reliable indicators to follow which makes trading/ stock investing= GAMBLING. I do not want to gamble with my life’s savings.... That is why I do not short, I do not use options or futures, or trade currency... I buy and I hold until the risk becomes more than I am comfortable with due to unpredictable market conditions or changes in my personal situation, then I take profits and watch from the sidelines until I see what appears to be more reliable circumstances emerge.
I dont do a lot of what you dont do. I couldnt imagine dealing in the stock market with my life savings. In fact I only deal with what I can afford to lose. Period.

Two potential crashes in the span of 6 months. Sounds about right. It's 2020!

My guess is 1 is because all the Fed liquidity and no where else to put the money for any sort of return and 2 is because it may signal and end to the funny money. But who really knows. I’ve always gotten the impression there are a good number of people that think they know what they’re doing, until they don’t. If Lehman and Bear Sterns can fail, so can my neighbor that sells medical equipment, cleans teeth, or whatever the hell else. Tesla might be Enron for all anyone knows, other than the people who are going to beat you to the punch regardless because they trade on insider information or have quantitative tools that make you look like a caveman. In sum, diversified portfolio, spend less than you make, and forget about it.

I agree 100% with everything you said. We almost had a reversal yesterday but the market couldn't finish positive. I think the longer term trend is still up but the intermediate is neutral and short term is down. Nasdaq broke its 50MA yesterday.

I pay attention to technicals, but I'm not a trader. I use technicals to figure out a good entry point for companies I want to buy and hold. Worse thing for me is to watch a stock and then decide to buy it, and then watch it promptly go down 10%. It's happened to me twice this year - both oil stocks.

As I get closer to retirement I am becoming more of a dividend investor. Generally, I look for anything yielding 2.5% or more. Growth is still important but I don't want too much risk so I look for value but try to avoid value traps. There are a lot of those right now.

I still don't know what to do with ATT. The yield is great but as a company they have made some bad moves lately. (Time Warner Media)

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I agree 100% with everything you said. We almost had a reversal yesterday but the market couldn't finish positive. I think the longer term trend is still up but the intermediate is neutral and short term is down. Nasdaq broke its 50MA yesterday.

I pay attention to technicals, but I'm not a trader. I use technicals to figure out a good entry point for companies I want to buy and hold. Worse thing for me is to watch a stock and then decide to buy it, and then watch it promptly go down 10%. It's happened to me twice this year - both oil stocks.

As I get closer to retirement I am becoming more of a dividend investor. Generally, I look for anything yielding 2.5% or more. Growth is still important but I don't want too much risk so I look for value but try to avoid value traps. There are a lot of those right now.

I still don't know what to do with ATT. The yield is great but as a company they have made some bad moves lately. (Time Warner Media)
I’m in ATT as well and share your same concerns. If you like a secure dividend above 2.5 percent, you might want to get some Southern Company (SO). I love the 4.81 percent yield at Friday’s close. It has been really consistent over the years.

I’m in ATT as well and share your same concerns. If you like a secure dividend above 2.5 percent, you might want to get some Southern Company (SO). I love the 4.81 percent yield at Friday’s close. It has been really consistent over the years.
I have done very well with SO. If you are into dividend stocks, QYLD Is a must.

I have done very well with SO. If you are into dividend stocks, QYLD Is a must.

Who on this board thinks that NYC will recover from the COVID and domestic unrest twin crises? In spite of really poor elected governance, I believe it will.

I have invested in a NYC REIT, and am thinking about going all in on this theme, at least for a while. At worst, due to a correction it is dead money for a couple of years, but if the crisis ends as quickly as it came, this scenario could pay off big time.

How can you put more money in the stock market with this upcoming election and with the current status of America? I guess it's always a gamble playing the market, but right now it's more like playing russian roulette.

Who on this board thinks that NYC will recover from the COVID and domestic unrest twin crises? In spite of really poor elected governance, I believe it will.

I have invested in a NYC REIT, and am thinking about going all in on this theme, at least for a while. At worst, due to a correction it is dead money for a couple of years, but if the crisis ends as quickly as it came, this scenario could pay off big time.
I think it will get a lot worse. Having a business operation in NYC is a huge risk. Hilton Times Square announced today it is closing the 478 room hotel permanently. I think real estate dynamics across NYC has changed for good. But being contrarian for a small amount of shares is fine since you realize it’s dead money for awhile. I also have some contrarian dead money plays that I’m willing to take a risk on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT