ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market

When You invest, do you go "all in" on an investment? Or do you go in tranches? I have done it both ways . When I go in tranches, it's anywhere from 3-5 slices.

I was responding to your political comment to me.

I am up just a tad under 14% in my portfolio this year, whereas the market is down about 1/2%. Just so you know, I don't like giving specific investment recommendations on a public forum. I don't mind emailing to people how I'm positioned.
I would be interested though I don’t want to give email out in public forum and you probably don’t either

When You invest, do you go "all in" on an investment? Or do you go in tranches? I have done it both ways . When I go in tranches, it's anywhere from 3-5 slices.

Depends on the company... Some all in and others build a position....

Something like a penny stock, I buy small for a quick hit, unless a great company dropped like a rock and I'll look at it first...

tenor.gif

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
In my math class, 67 and 45.8 are greater than 41.1, even using your criteria.

The 1993 Clinton tax increase raised the top 2 income tax rates to 36% and 39.6%, with the top rates hitting joint returns of $250,000 and greater which is in the $400,000-$500,000 range in 2020 dollars.And I think taxes went up under Obama also. In neither case, did we see the "1930s make a comeback".

As far as the covid reason for the market crash under Trump, we all know that Trump is getting killed for his handling of covid, with the resulting 149,772 American deaths, and counting, unfortunately and sadly. And that is why Trump has a pitiful AVERAGE job approval rating of 40.2. And note at the same stage of their presidencies, Clinton, Bush and Obama had average job approval ratings of 55.7, 46 and 47.1 respectively. And it's why Trump is losing to Biden in the past eight polls anywhere from 2 - 15 points. By the way, the last 3 polls have 32 -38% job approval for Trump's handling of coronavirus. And around 70% of the people, in polls, say that the country is going in the wrong direction. That says it all.

The fact is that there was no "1930s comeback"....under Obama and Clinton, as proven by the stock market increases of 182% and 210% under their watch. And there would not be under Biden either. You see, the spinning didn't change the numbers.

You are right....figures don't lie and liars don't figure.
JFTR- presidents should never be judged based off how markets performed under their term.

For example- The massive economic/market collapse we saw under GW happened because of policies enacted by Bill Clinton! Then Obama took over at almost the exact bottom of the worst market collapse in our lifetimes, so there was nowhere to go but up. Obama was the benefactor of a massive market rebound after a huge collapse. It was not the direct result of HIM, more the correction of an over correction to the negative... So arguing these market percentage numbers means nothing. Presidents should be judged by how their actions affect the country 5/10/15... years after they leave office. By that measure, Bill Clinton (who was one of my personal favorite presidents) may well have been the worst president we ever had! The “Make Homes Affordable Act”- or whatever they called it- single handedly nearly ended America! Shockingly awful policy...

If you're an investor, there is never a reason to go "all in" on anything.

It's better to lose an opportunity than to mindlessly lose capital.

I never allocate more than 5% to any ticker, but my TSLA position has moved from around $360 in March to around $1,500 this month.

I find that it's better for me to take profits and maintain the 5% allocation
and do much of my investing in qualified accounts, which affords me tax advantages.

The work from home e-commerce, cloud, software and innovative technology companies are now consumer staples.

My best seven months (year?) in decades.

Sounds like you hicks are talking about trading rather than investing.

Good luck.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
JFTR- presidents should never be judged based off how markets performed under their term.

For example- The massive economic/market collapse we saw under GW happened because of policies enacted by Bill Clinton! Then Obama took over at almost the exact bottom of the worst market collapse in our lifetimes, so there was nowhere to go but up. Obama was the benefactor of a massive market rebound after a huge collapse. It was not the direct result of HIM, more the correction of an over correction to the negative... So arguing these market percentage numbers means nothing. Presidents should be judged by how their actions affect the country 5/10/15... years after they leave office. By that measure, Bill Clinton (who was one of my personal favorite presidents) may well have been the worst president we ever had! The “Make Homes Affordable Act”- or whatever they called it- single handedly nearly ended America! Shockingly awful policy...
Trump forces the issue by bragging on a stock market that was humming very nicely that he inherited from Obama.

Trump forces the issue by bragging on a stock market that was humming very nicely that he inherited from Obama.
True. It is stupid of him to tie the public’s perception of his success to the performance of the market. Virtually every president prior to him has made great effort to tell people they have no control over the markets... He is too egotistical and short sighted to understand why they did that and why any rational person would. The stock market is as fickle and unpredictable as the American voter. Most 4 tear terms will see at least one market downturn. If you tie the public's perception of your success as president to the performance of the market when it is doing well, they will still link you to it when it crashes. His hawking on the stock market shows his utter and complete ignorance of what a president actually is and is supposed to do... That all said... Trump’s policies- from corporate tax cuts to improving trade bills- have perhaps had more of an immediate affect on market performance than any president’s in my life time. Covid derailed things but his policies directly affected the bottom lines of companies in ways that literally changed (for the better) the fundamental analysis of where we were in the market cycle.

Trump’s policies- from corporate tax cuts to improving trade bills- have perhaps had more of an immediate affect on market performance than any president’s in my life time. Covid derailed things but his policies directly affected the bottom lines of companies in ways that literally changed (for the better) the fundamental analysis of where we were in the market cycle.

George W. Bush cut taxes. Yet, the stock market under him performed poorly. And the trade deals were simply brought up to date with today's markets, consumers and economy. They were not radical changes from previous trade agreements. They were more "2.0". The fact is that the markets performed better during the Clinton and Obama years than they did under Trump, even prior to covid. And if Obama had bungled his responses to Swine Flu and Ebola, I doubt the market would have done as well as it did under his watch.

Never put all your eggs in one basket but if you do you best be watching that basket and know it’s future better than anyone else on this earth.

HUH? I think your history is confused.

It’s foolish to blame one president or policy for the Great Recession. The causes were complex and the blame shared by many, but a lot of the blame should go on private companies themselves for skirting, breaking rules, lying about it, and taking advantage of government policies that tended to overlook the rule breaking because of strong interest from all sides in deregulation and poor oversight.

deregulation can be good in some cases, but there can also be a high price to pay when people think all companies will play fair. That rarely happens.

plus, the “Making Homes Affordable” act was enacted in 2009. It helped people keep their homes at a time when banks didn’t want the homes in the first place.

The program is still around in several reiterations.

George W. Bush cut taxes. Yet, the stock market under him performed poorly. And the trade deals were simply brought up to date with today's markets, consumers and economy. They were not radical changes from previous trade agreements. They were more "2.0". The fact is that the markets performed better during the Clinton and Obama years than they did under Trump, even prior to covid. And if Obama had bungled his responses to Swine Flu and Ebola, I doubt the market would have done as well as it did under his watch.
Obviously you missed the entire point of my post. Market gains losses are easily the worst indicator of a president’s performance. Your numbers and the entire basis for your point... Are meaningless. So saying stuff to me like “The fact is that the markets performed better during the Clinton and Obama years than they did under Trump, even prior to covid”- just tells me you do not understand politics, economic policy or the difference between the ECONOMY (reported after the fact as raw data) and the Stock Market (wild speculation).

Here is an example- Kodak. Has gone up about 1,500% in two days!! Why? They must have had some great earnings report or boost to fundamentals? Nope, they just took on $750,000 in LOANS. The opposite of good fundamentals, to wholesale change what the company does even though nobody knows if this pandemic they are gearing up to make drugs to help fight will be around long enough for them to sell any ingredients at all... Rampant speculation, driven by nothing but hype and a surprise announcement. So, by your logic- Trump deserves a lot of kudos for driving up the stock price of this flailing once iconic American brand right? “Boy he must be the best president ever”- is the quote I believe you are looking for? No? Please then, explain to me why without sounding like a hypocrite after touting stock prices as a measure of the success of past presidents in your last few posts.

Obviously you missed the entire point of my post. Market gains losses are easily the worst indicator of a president’s performance. Your numbers and the entire basis for your point... Are meaningless. So saying stuff to me like “The fact is that the markets performed better during the Clinton and Obama years than they did under Trump, even prior to covid”- just tells me you do not understand politics, economic policy or the difference between the ECONOMY (reported after the fact as raw data) and the Stock Market (wild speculation).

Here is an example- Kodak. Has gone up about 1,500% in two days!! Why? They must have had some great earnings report or boost to fundamentals? Nope, they just took on $750,000 in LOANS. The opposite of good fundamentals, to wholesale change what the company does even though nobody knows if this pandemic they are gearing up to make drugs to help fight will be around long enough for them to sell any ingredients at all... Rampant speculation, driven by nothing but hype and a surprise announcement. So, by your logic- Trump deserves a lot of kudos for driving up the stock price of this flailing once iconic American brand right? “Boy he must be the best president ever”- is the quote I believe you are looking for? No? Please then, explain to me why without sounding like a hypocrite after touting stock prices as a measure of the success of past presidents in your last few posts.
With all due respect, I believe you are missing the point of my post. Trump touting the stock market under him is ridiculous since he inherited a stock market that was humming very well. Trump has continuously done that from DAY 1 when he became President. Before he became President, he played down the market, under Obama. You can't have it BOTH ways. Well, I guess you can. But, people like me will call him on it. You can ask, "what did Obama do for the market to go up"? I can tell you what he didn't do: he did not screw anything up to have it crash under his watch. The bottom line is if Trump had been wise, he would not have bragged on the stock market when it was doing well. That sword cuts both ways.

your Post is odd. It’s like a red herring and false premise wrapped in one.

is there any president we’ve had, besides Trump, that would brag and claim credit for himself for the performance of one particular stock?

in that same vein have we had a president whose supporters will go crazy celebrating him, like Trumpers do, because of the performance of one stock?

And of course Trump is now suggesting a delay in the election, something his fellow congressional republicans have spent a week or more saying is preposterous- and now Trump is Stabbing them by tweeting about it.

of course the real thing Trump wants is A bit of chaos. Scaring his supporters is how he motivates them.

And of course Trump is now suggesting a delay in the election, something his fellow congressional republicans have spent a week or more saying is preposterous- and now Trump is Stabbing them by tweeting about it.

of course the real thing Trump wants is A bit of chaos. Scaring his supporters is how he motivates them.

RollLaugh Great find, dude. That tweet tells you he realizes he is badly trailing Biden in the polls.

RollLaugh Great find, dude. That tweet tells you he realizes he is badly trailing Biden in the polls.

Well, even Chris Stirewalt on Fox News just said Trump’s tweet is a sign of weakness that Trump feels. Chris pointed out we had an election in the midst of the Civil War and all through WW2. Not good For Trump when even Fox News is pointing this out.

With all due respect, I believe you are missing the point of my post. Trump touting the stock market under him is ridiculous since he inherited a stock market that was humming very well. Trump has continuously done that from DAY 1 when he became President. Before he became President, he played down the market, under Obama. You can't have it BOTH ways. Well, I guess you can. But, people like me will call him on it. You can ask, "what did Obama do for the market to go up"? I can tell you what he didn't do: he did not screw anything up to have it crash under his watch. The bottom line is if Trump had been wise, he would not have bragged on the stock market when it was doing well. That sword cuts both ways.

If Trump had been smart, he never would have brought up the stock market. Trump inadvertently invites those comparisons himself. There's no one to blame for that other than Trump. With Trump, it's always "this is the best", "this is the greatest", "no one has ever done it better" blah, blah, blah. He has yet to figure out that there are "fact checkers". Watch and see, if he loses to Biden, he will say: "We will have the best transition of power EVER in the history of the presidency. No one will ever have done a better job of transitioning, blah, blah, blah".:rolleyes:

Reactions: Rollerdude123
The 2nd straight week of an increase in jobless claims, reported today, tells me that talk about a "V-shaped" economic recovery, was wishful thinking. Sometimes, though, the stock market disconnects from the economy. In fact, some may think that the market and economy have been disconnected for four months now.

The 2nd straight week of an increase in jobless claims, reported today, tells me that talk about a "V-shaped" economic recovery, was wishful thinking. Sometimes, though, the stock market disconnects from the economy. In fact, some may think that the market and economy have been disconnected for four months now.

You can thank all the Blue state and RINO governors for keeping the economy closed... The Red States are doing their best going on with life and keeping people working...

He’ll come out tomorrow and say he was joking or being sarcastic.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
He’ll come out tomorrow and say he was joking or being sarcastic.
Most likely that. But saying he never said that is most definitely not out of the question.

In 2016, Trump even said specifically that Mexico would be compelled to give the U.S. a “one-time payment” of $5 to 10 billion for the wall, both in a memo sent to reporters and in his campaign platform.

But as he prepared to fly to the southern border on Thursday, Trump changed his tune, claiming, falsely, that he never said that Mexico would pay for the border wall and that he never meant that the country would literally hand the U.S. money for the wall.

When during the campaign, I would say ‘Mexico is going to pay for it,’ obviously, I never said this, and I never meant they’re gonna write out a check, I said they’re going to pay for it. They are,” Trump said.

Last edited:
You can thank all the Blue state and RINO governors for keeping the economy closed... The Red States are doing their best going on with life and keeping people working...
I know that California is a "blue state". They reopened and then the virus surged. I think they are now re-closing or contemplating re-closing. Florida, Arizona and Texas, led by Republican Governors, re-opened and now, they are a raging covid fire. What's the answer? I don't know. But, I have not been elected to come up with an answer.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
If Trump had been smart, he never would have brought up the stock market. Trump inadvertently invites those comparisons himself. There's no one to blame for that other than Trump. With Trump, it's always "this is the best", "this is the greatest", "no one has ever done it better" blah, blah, blah. He has yet to figure out that there are "fact checkers". Watch and see, if he loses to Biden, he will say: "We will have the best transition of power EVER in the history of the presidency. No one will ever have done a better job of transitioning, blah, blah, blah".:rolleyes:

He’s a used car salesman.

Here is something hard to reconcile: it's OK for Trump to vote by mail-in. But, for everyone else, it's criminal, in his mind. How do Trumpists make sense of that? And no, saying "Just because", is not an acceptable answer.

Here is something hard to reconcile: it's OK for Trump to vote by mail-in. But, for everyone else, it's criminal, in his mind. How do Trumpists make sense of that? And no, saying "Just because", is not an acceptable answer.
I know people who haven’t voted at a precinct in years who are now all of a sudden concerned about mail-in voting. The hyperbolic opinion hosts who no reasonable person would watch for information have convinced them that every mail in vote (other than those for a Republican) are fraudulent.

He's now saying "absentee" voting is just fine and great (he's changed his tune and is now making that distinction that he wasn't making before because people pointed out he's voted by mail and many on his staff have voted by mail for years).

I say let's compromise.

Trump should advocate "No excuse" absentee voting- as some states already have in place since Trump seems to live Absentee voting all of a sudden.

SOuth Carolina doesn't have No Excuse absentee voting- but they have a ton of excuses so it's very easy (and the dirty little secret is you don't even need a photo id in little ole conservative south carolina)

That way- ballots wouldn't be mailed unless requested- but you wouldn't have to offer any excuse (be out of town on election day, have surgery scheduled, etc). to get a mail in ballot.

Just make sure you mail in your ballot a good 10 days before the election or better yet- do as I will be doing- personally hand deliver your completed ballot to your local elections office the week before election day.

On April 27, Trump said he would not advocate delaying the election. Since then, Biden's AVERAGE lead over Trump has increased by 2 points. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences.

I know people who haven’t voted at a precinct in years who are now all of a sudden concerned about mail-in voting. The hyperbolic opinion hosts who no reasonable person would watch for information have convinced them that every mail in vote (other than those for a Republican) are fraudulent.

If Trump really cared about election security and mail in voting, instead of using his platform to promote a doctor that talks about intimate relations with people in dreams, he could promote that idea of no excuse absentee voting.

Some states have no excuse absentee voting. Trump and many on his staff have voted absentee many times. The military votes absentee.

But of course Trump isn't looking to solve an issue. He's looking to create division and an argument to distract.

Reactions: Dizzy01
On April 27, Trump said he would not advocate delaying the election. Since then, Biden's AVERAGE lead over Trump has increased by 2 points. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences.

When Biden first accused Trump of being interested in not accepting the election results, Trump surrogates in Washington and on Fox News blasted Biden for undermining the election - and how Trump wouldn't do that.

This morning Trump asked if delaying the election might not be needed- something legally he can't do - but a President suggesting it sure does undermine the integrity of the process.

Looks as if Biden was right.

The market is focused on what happens next, not what's happened in the past.

The FED is providing unprecedented liquidity.

Congress will (eventually) provide more economic stimulus.

There are realistic expectations for a vaccine.

Xi Jinping is a first class A-Hole.

Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT