ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market

You are always correct. You have made that abundantly clear. I perceive lack of humility a character flaw. By the way, the NASDAQ was up today.

I agree.

I don’t care about what you think is a flaw or what you think is wonderful.

It was. But the S&P was down. 2 of 5 retirement IRAS were down too. My personal investment funds were split today. But I must be ok with it because I put a nice order in this morning.

The market is focused on what happens next, not what's happened in the past.

The FED is providing unprecedented liquidity.

Congress will (eventually) provide more economic stimulus.

Yep, this market and economy is as artificial as Trump’s tan.

The market has essentially been flat the past 2 weeks. Hmmmm.
The S&P 500 registered a 5.5% gain in July.

The central government lockdown has essentially put our economy in a medically induced coma.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

The S&P 500 registered a 5.5% gain in July.

The central government lockdown has essentially put our economy in a medically induced coma.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Where did I say the entire month of July? I said the last 2 weeks. Show me where that's inaccurate. You can't. Since July 21, the S&P is up 0.59%.

You are right though about one thing: it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollerdude123
I sold $10,000 in gold coins earlier this year. I’m not buying anymore gold.
I trust Warren Buffett when it comes to gold. Below are his comments from 2010 on why he doesn't buy gold.

“You could take all the gold that’s ever been mined, and it would fill a cube 67 feet in each direction. For what it’s worth at current gold prices, you could buy — not some — all of the farmland in the United States. Plus, you could buy 10 Exxon Mobils (XOM), plus have $1 trillion of walking-around money. Or you could have a big cube of metal. Which would you take? Which is going to produce more value?”

Warren Buffett

Where did I say the entire month of July? I said the last 2 weeks. Show me where that's inaccurate. You can't. Since July 21, the S&P is up 0.59%.

You are right though about one thing: it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
You are undeniably a market expert.

New month.

We would all appreciate your market guidance here.

Especially those with a two week investment time horizon like you.

Thanks in advance.

Keep up the good work.

Go Cocks !!!

You are undeniably a market expert.

New month.

We would all appreciate your market guidance here.

Especially those with a two week investment time horizon like you.

Thanks in advance.

Keep up the good work.

Go Cocks !!!
I made a comment that was accurate, just an observation,and not coming to any specific conclusions. You, on the other hand, inaccurately restated what I said and then proceeded to be insulting. And so I threw your words back at you.

I'm certain we can count on your market wisdom in the future, including your mind reading talents.

We can't wait for you to enlighten us with your market imagination.

I made a comment that was accurate, just an observation,and not coming to any specific conclusions. You, on the other hand, inaccurately restated what I said and then proceeded to be insulting. And so I threw your words back at you.

I'm certain we can count on your market wisdom in the future, including your mind reading talents.

We can't wait for you to enlighten us with your market imagination.
I merely stated a statistical fact.

Don't hold your breath if you expect "market imagination" from me.

Do you really use "imagination" with the shit you post here?

I am not in your league.

You're the best.

I merely stated a statistical fact.

Don't hold your breath if you expect "market imagination" from me.

Do you really use "imagination" with the shit you post here?

I am not in your league.

You're the best.
What I stated was accurate and a "statistical fact". Either you intentionally made up, to use your word, "shit", or reading is not a strength of yours.

If it's "reading", you are in a league of your own with your reading comprehension skills. No one can touch you. By the way, no one puts a gun to your head forcing you to "read" my posts.

... and here we go again. The market was up 5.5% in July. It was flat the last part of July. You are both correct about the market, but wrong about each other.

Reactions: Roger Moore
Not to revive the pissing match, but this market is not making sense right now. We will have a big correction this fall.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching my account value grow, but the macro and micro fundamentals are very weak. (high unemployment, lots of people piling into stocks with no earnings, risky prospects for future growth and an uncertain political situation potentially emerging this fall)

That said, I bought BIGC (recent IPO) at $80 Monday. It has about doubled since then. I always have this problem - but do I let it run or take my profits. I bought YETI in the low 20s and sold it in the mid 40s. Should have held onto it.

Shortly after this thread, stuck to my guns and doubled my stock in Coke. Got in at 46.17 and is now at 48.54 with plenty of room for growth. At some point, the dems will have to allow resturants to open and it should go through the roof at that point. Pretty pleased to get a good deal on a keeper stock who's had one of the longest dividend increases in history and currently above 3.5 %.
Surprisingly, small cap funds are still off the charts good. Mine are paying more than my other funds that have three times the money in them. Never saw that coming with this climate.

I sunk over half my 401K into Apple in the $250 range. Very happy with the current price and the stock split coming on Friday. I believe that still one of the safest, high-return stocks out there.

Interesting fact about the Markets...The top 10% of the people own 84% of the market. The bottom 80% own 6.7% on the market. So when people claim the economy and Market go hand in hand that's just not the case.

Seriously, when will the triple threat of Covid, social upheaval and a Presidential election occurring simultaneously hit the market? I know it looks ahead, but all these layoffs, shutdowns, restructuring have to take a toll, don't they?
There is so much money in the economy right now the best returns are in the stock markets. Banks are flush with cash, which is why I’m buying JPM and FFG. Money is pouring out of Hong Kong and going directly into the U.S. stock markets. Foreign investors are shoving money into U.S. stocks. All in all, the Bulls will be running on Wall Street for awhile.

Tesla stock when I told you to buy it $500
Today $2282
If you listened you should be buying me a meal. If you didn’t maybe you should’ve.
Tesla has indeed had a great run but I look to buy companies on fundamentals. Tesla’s run-up is largely due to the short-sellers getting squeezed. The short ratio is very high because as the price goes higher new shorts come in as evidenced by the Put-to-Call ratio. It will continue to go up and I’ll miss the action but I don’t want to be in it when the music stops.

I am looking at beaten up sectors right now. Utilities, natural gas companies, REITs, airline and cruise line stocks. I expect a big spike in travel related stocks as soon as they announce a vaccine.
It shouldn't be long to see a shift in every sector you mentioned. I'm starting to move some of funds in those areas as well.

My 2 cents: While I’ve been critical of the President on here there’s no doubt Wall Street likes him. A November Biden win could have a negative effect as fear of changing economic policies take hold. Worth monitoring. Obviously the time would be November but could continue into a bear market. Great question and legitimate concern.

Without a second stimulus, I expect PPP loan layoffs (corona) effects to hit around mid to late October. I would’ve said July, but the feds extended the program, thus providing a temporary band aid. They could extend it again but closing in on an election could impact that decision too.

I think the social aspect is overblown. The rioting allowed a group of people to let some steam out but you’re already seeing that disappear. Now it’s just one bad cop video or acquittal from reappearing, but for now the coast is clear. The trial is a while off for the Floyd cops.

Personally, I’d advise you to find stock in companies that have either benefited or have been unaffected (Netflix and Tesla come to mind) by the pandemic for now. I know there’s a ton of “buy low” people out there now but the reality is this thing hasn’t bottomed out yet. It’s more of a slow bottoming out. You will see some more companies fold before it gets better.

Until a vaccine happens this probably isn’t solved. Our lax attitudes over masks, shutdowns and distancing (not everyone but as a whole) have allowed this virus to spread. We will never get Hurd immunity despite what the amateur scientists think. Our best bets are a vaccine or it mutates into a less fatal strain over time (could be a few years) that allows businesses to recover.
Agree. You think Biden supporters are going to buy stock. No they spend their free money on other depreciating assets.

Tesla has indeed had a great run but I look to buy companies on fundamentals. Tesla’s run-up is largely due to the short-sellers getting squeezed. The short ratio is very high because as the price goes higher new shorts come in as evidenced by the Put-to-Call ratio. It will continue to go up and I’ll miss the action but I don’t want to be in it when the music stops.

I get you being apprehensive about Tesla but this run is still going for a while. Just announced a 5-1 stock split. Tons will buy again hoping for a similar rise.

People tend to forget this isn’t just a car company. Solar panels for houses. They also benefit from the success of other Elon ventures like Space X. Next battery day will likely revolutionize electric vehicles. I think you’ve got a while. Just set a price you don’t want it to dip under and sell off if it dips that low. Tesla is the stock of 2020

I get you being apprehensive about Tesla but this run is still going for a while. Just announced a 5-1 stock split. Tons will buy again hoping for a similar rise.

People tend to forget this isn’t just a car company. Solar panels for houses. They also benefit from the success of other Elon ventures like Space X. Next battery day will likely revolutionize electric vehicles. I think you’ve got a while. Just set a price you don’t want it to dip under and sell off if it dips that low. Tesla is the stock of 2020
People are buying into Elon Musk as much as anything. That dude rocks.

I spent this weekend in Omaha at a Berkshire Hathaway conference. It was an interesting weekend. The bottom line was don’t sell stocks until the next stimulus is passed. The market will continue to go up until a vaccine is established. Once a vaccine is established, the federal government will have to quit funding the businesses. As Buffett said, once the tide goes out we will see who has a swimsuit and who doesn’t. The conclusion was that 2021 is going to be awful regardless who is the president. The only thing propping up the economy is the fiscal stimulus and the fed’s easy money policy. The consensus is we will see a huge market pullback once the vaccine policy is implemented. The Fed policy will probably continue but the pullback of the fiscal money will lead to massive bankruptcy of small businesses. There will be a tremendous amount of job losses once these businesses shut down. And it will happen regardless who is president because we can’t afford to continue to fund these businesses forever. We have real negative interest rates for the first time in our lifetime. This is a horrible forward indicator. For that reason, Buffett says he has bought gold which he has never believed in as an investment. Commercial real estate is dead as a market according to him. We are in the midst of a economic restructuring which we realize people don’t need to go to an office to be productive. And this is certainly true. I have an office which takes up 24 floors of a building. We now work at 30% occupancy but 100% revenue.. We have learned we can cut half our floors without losing productivity. So the person who was touting REITS should limit themselves to residential REITS because commercial real estate is about to hit a depression. People give way too much credit to the President whether Democrat or Republican for stock market success. Bottom line is don’t buy stocks (or if you do plan to sell once the vaccine pop happens) and hunker down once we get a vaccine because the market is in for a turmoil.

Tesla is NOT a car company

Batteries + Software + AI (Artificial Intelligence)

In a league of their own

Good luck

I spent this weekend in Omaha at a Berkshire Hathaway conference. It was an interesting weekend. The bottom line was don’t sell stocks until the next stimulus is passed. The market will continue to go up until a vaccine is established. Once a vaccine is established, the federal government will have to quit funding the businesses. As Buffett said, once the tide goes out we will see who has a swimsuit and who doesn’t. The conclusion was that 2021 is going to be awful regardless who is the president. The only thing propping up the economy is the fiscal stimulus and the fed’s easy money policy. The consensus is we will see a huge market pullback once the vaccine policy is implemented. The Fed policy will probably continue but the pullback of the fiscal money will lead to massive bankruptcy of small businesses. There will be a tremendous amount of job losses once these businesses shut down. And it will happen regardless who is president because we can’t afford to continue to fund these businesses forever. We have real negative interest rates for the first time in our lifetime. This is a horrible forward indicator. For that reason, Buffett says he has bought gold which he has never believed in as an investment. Commercial real estate is dead as a market according to him. We are in the midst of a economic restructuring which we realize people don’t need to go to an office to be productive. And this is certainly true. I have an office which takes up 24 floors of a building. We now work at 30% occupancy but 100% revenue.. We have learned we can cut half our floors without losing productivity. So the person who was touting REITS should limit themselves to residential REITS because commercial real estate is about to hit a depression. People give way too much credit to the President whether Democrat or Republican for stock market success. Bottom line is don’t buy stocks (or if you do plan to sell once the vaccine pop happens) and hunker down once we get a vaccine because the market is in for a turmoil.
Yes, all one has to do is look at what has happened to malls to realize that commercial real estate is finished.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT