ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Tanner defends Staley, atmosphere in Columbia

"I did speak with him (after) his radio appearance yesterday" Tanner said. “I have spoken to commissioner (Greg) Sankey, others at the SEC office. It’s just not an issue that anyone is excited about dealing with, that comes to attention in women’s basketball."

WTH did Tanner mean by this?

Not quite the evisceration some were hoping for but IMO wise words from Ray. We are holding all the moral cards in this one. This either goes away or if it remains a story, looks bad for Mizzou. Hopefully we all move on

Reactions: vacock# and okccock
Not quite the evisceration some were hoping for but IMO wise words from Ray. We are holding all the moral cards in this one. This either goes away or if it remains a story, looks bad for Mizzou. Hopefully we all move on
I wouldn't want to be Sterk when Stankey calls. It's just flat our wrong for an AD to accuse a coach like he did. As I said elsewhere, I fully expect a mea culpa to be forthcoming from CoMo.

"It’s obvious we would disagree with some of the comments that were made about our environment"

So, Tanner, which ones did you agree with?

"Tanner complimented Missouri's coaching staff and players, while also making it clear that he hopes that both sides can reach a resolution and move forward.
"Playing Missouri in basketball, they’re well coached, an outstanding team with really good players," he said"

Seems very mealy mouthed to me and not a very resounding defense of our National Championship coach... If we were not in the wrong, the only resolution should be for a full blown apology by Missour's AD.

"It’s obvious we would disagree with some of the comments that were made about our environment"

"Tanner complimented Missouri's coaching staff and players, while also making it clear that he hopes that both sides can reach a resolution and move forward.
"Playing Missouri in basketball, they’re well coached, an outstanding team with really good players," he said"

Seems very mealy mouthed to me and not a very resounding defense of our National Championship coach... If we were not in the wrong, the only resolution should be for a full blown apology by Missour's AD.
Fire Tanner! Just one more reason that he needs to go. Should have called their AD a FSOB. Another missed opportunity.

Very weak response....

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Weren't there some SEC officials there? And I don't mean the zebras on the court.

GOCOCKS! BEATMSU! BEATUCONN!

Good lord. How about cutting the man a break. He's not looking to satisfy you. You won't be happy unless . . . well, I don't think Tanner will ever do anything that will make you happy. I listened to Tanner on the radio. His defense of DS was extremely resounding.

"I don’t want to speak to anything that Jim Sterk said," said Tanner. "All I can tell you is that we have a tremendous environment for women’s basketball at Colonial Life Arena. What coach Staley and her players have built over the years, culminating in a national championship, we’ve won a lot of games. It’s a great environment for young women and women’s basketball. It’s obvious we would disagree with some of the comments that were made about our environment and some comments that were directed were beyond understanding for me. It goes without saying what she has done outside of basketball speaks for itself. Her involvement in this community, her personal foundation, she lives the talk. She’s not just a coach that gets out in front once in a while. We know who she is and what she stands for and are extremely proud of what she’s done here. Comments that were made, we don’t understand that and only Jim Sterk can explain his reasoning."

Pretty well said here. Folks, at his level, you don't go out and say the other guys is an ass even if you know he is. You have to read between the lines. RT just threw down the gauntlet for Sterk to explain himself to the public at least, and I'm sure Sterk will get a call from the commish, and it won't be a pleasant one.

If you think that Tanner is going to go public with what he really said, then you don't know much about him.

He's punting to the league office. It's the right move and makes this a single day news story. Dragging this out can't help.

Exactly!

Anyone that honestly thought that CRT would "drop the hammer" publicly have paid absolutely NO attention to him over the 21 years he's been here.

He sure dropped the hammer on Jack Leg after the cheating accusation around 2011, I believe it was.

He sure dropped the hammer on Jack Leg after the cheating accusation around 2011, I believe it was.
Different situation. That was the culmination of YEARS of incidents between them that had previously been handled in private. He'd had enough by that point. Also, he wanted to say something after Friday night's game that season, but the team told him not to, that they would handle it.

His comment that Sterk is the one that needs to explain himself is throwing down the gauntlet, i.e. prove it or be gone. Ray knows Sterk has no proof. Also, as Bobby said yesterday on his show. If you have an issue with what you believe happened, you take it to the other AD directly. You don't go on the "Joe and Moe" local sports show and make accusations like that. The reason Sterk is now saying "no comment" is because he knows he's wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT