ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee fans

I don’t see throwing things at players and coaches being the same as storming the field in celebration
No one is saying it is. They were discussing the fact that the SEC didn't already have such a policy in place, from what they could discern at the time, and were commenting simply that if celebrations result in fines shouldn't being complete imbeciles result in the same. I agree with them.

No one is saying it is. They were discussing the fact that the SEC didn't already have such a policy in place, from what they could discern at the time, and were commenting simply that if celebrations result in fines shouldn't being complete imbeciles result in the same. I agree with them.
👍🏻

I keep hearing about a mustard bottle, but I haven’t seen any pictures. Was is glass, or plastic? Empty, or full? French’s, or Heinz? I need more facts, here.

Should’ve thrown a flag for targeting. 15 yard penalty and all fans miss the first half of the next home game. File them in at halftime.😀

Reactions: caughtlookin
I keep hearing about a mustard bottle, but I haven’t seen any pictures. Was is glass, or plastic? Empty, or full? French’s, or Heinz? I need more facts, here.
Inquiring minds want to know huh? Plastic and French's. Judging by the distance covered at least half full.

untitled-1.png

Reactions: DrMickey
Anyone caught doing that should be banned for life from the stadium.

But what could they have done to stop it? The fine suggests they were somehow responsible or could have prevented it. As a former Tennessee resident, I guarantee that I hate UT more than anyone else here, but I fail to see how fines make sense in these situations.

No amount of security can control a crowd of that size. When you have that many people together, you're simply relying on the hope that people behave themselves. And, most of the time, they do.

But what could they have done to stop it? The fine suggests they were somehow responsible or could have prevented it. As a former Tennessee resident, I guarantee that I hate UT more than anyone else here, but I fail to see how fines make sense in these situations.

No amount of security can control a crowd of that size. When you have that many people together, you're simply relying on the hope that people behave themselves. And, most of the time, they do.
I agree with you. And your logic applies to fans rushing the field in celebration also. Need to have more security than fans

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
The fine just doesn't make sense. What message is the conference trying to send? And to whom?

The fine just doesn't make sense. What message is the conference trying to send? And to whom?
Like you said in your previous post, it suggests that they could have prevented it and they are responsible if something serious happens. I'd guess its a way to shift responsibility away from the conference and to the individual universities.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
Like you said in your previous post, it suggests that they could have prevented it and they are responsible if something serious happens. I'd guess its a way to shift responsibility away from the conference and to the individual universities.

Yeah, I suppose so. If I were these universities, I would push back on these fines. There's no legal basis for them, unless the schools have something in writing with the conference that they accept blame for such incidents.

Short of having thousands of security personnel stationed throughout the stands, there's not much you can do. A whole lot of how society manages to function simply depends on people acting like decent people. You just can't control it.

Reactions: Cackdiesel
Yeah, I suppose so. If I were these universities, I would push back on these fines. There's no legal basis for them, unless the schools have something in writing with the conference that they accept blame for such incidents.

Short of having thousands of security personnel stationed throughout the stands, there's not much you can do. A whole lot of how society manages to function simply depends on people acting like decent people. You just can't control it.
I would bet the universities have more legal protections than the conference since they're a part of the state governments. Its almost like shifting the responsibility to an LLC.

I agree with your overall point though.

While nothing realistically could have been done to prevent what happened Saturday night in Neyland, I think if they would have immediately ended the game, resulting in a loss for UT, that would have sent a very clear message to anyone who may have thoughts of throwing things in the future.
I would also add that should a situation like what happened Saturday occur, while your team is in the lead, immediately end the game and you forfeit.
Both clear messages to deter the behavior in the future.

Rushing the field can be prevented. They did it in soccer to stop the hooligans in England some years ago after the stampede that killed quite a few. Involves cops on horses in helmets and with batons. And German Shepherds. I have heard of no trouble since. Could be mistaken.

While nothing realistically could have been done to prevent what happened Saturday night in Neyland, I think if they would have immediately ended the game, resulting in a loss for UT, that would have sent a very clear message to anyone who may have thoughts of throwing things in the future.
I would also add that should a situation like what happened Saturday occur, while your team is in the lead, immediately end the game and you forfeit.
Both clear messages to deter the behavior in the future.
While I appreciate your desire to stop such stupidity, what’s to stop a fan from “the other” team from sabotage?
Maybe surveillance cameras can be installed, and prosecute offenders for assault. That might work. Seriously!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT