ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Bradshaw getting slammed for comments on Erin Andrews

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Maybe I'm old fashioned(only 36) but don't see where Bradshaw telling her she's looking good(maybe just left it at you look nice, but that's nitpicking) and did a good interview is a big deal.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
Women sportscasters are in a tough spot...They gotta know their stuff and they have to be pretty. Focusing on their looks minimizes their talent.

You would NEVER say in a board room. Wow, I like those boots and blouse, good look. Oh and by the way nice report on our 3rd quarter liquidity problem and our hopes for expansion

Ray Kinsella: So what do you want?
Terence Mann: I want them to stop looking to me for answers, begging me to speak again, write again, be a leader. I want them to start thinking for themselves. I want my privacy.
Ray Kinsella: No, I mean, what do you WANT?
Terence Mann: Oh. Dog and a beer.

Women sportscasters are in a tough spot...They gotta know their stuff and they have to be pretty. Focusing on their looks minimizes their talent.

You would NEVER say in a board room. Wow, I like those boots and blouse, good look. Oh and by the way nice report on our 3rd quarter liquidity problem and our hopes for expansion

they weren"t in a board room. terrible analogy and you know it. sportscasting has always been given to banter and back and forth. many times ive heard these guys joke about one of their peers wearing an extra flashy suit. there was nothing the least bit "creepy" about what he said.

He sounds out of it. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, but it’s also not something that should be said. He’s at work, act like it. Simply complimenting her on a great, or enjoyable interview (her work), would have been really easy.

Everything "draws a reaction on social media." There's something like 6 billion people in the world. At any given time, you can find a couple hundred people on social media outraged about anything.

That's the thing. Getting a reaction on social media means nothing. people can react to a tweet while simultaneously watching a movie, texting and posting on FB. something gets 20,000 reactions on twitter and companies freak out. there's 330 million people in this country and companies panic when less than 0.0001% of the population react to something on twitter.

He sounds out of it. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, but it’s also not something that should be said. He’s at work, act like it. Simply complimenting her on a great, or enjoyable interview (her work), would have been really easy.

women: "i want to intentionally dress so people think i look nice but do NOT want anyone to tell me i look nice."

Makes sense.

Today’s culture can dissect just about anything and find a reason to get upset. I don’t think he was trying to be offensive. As another poster pointed out, the crew often compliment or joke around about each other’s attire. Maybe people should ask Erin Andrews how it made her feel before they get all upset on her behalf?

Today’s culture can dissect just about anything and find a reason to get upset. I don’t think he was trying to be offensive. As another poster pointed out, the crew often compliment or joke around about each other’s attire. Maybe people should ask Erin Andrews how it made her feel before they get all upset on her behalf?

Right. If you listen to the full comments, which most aren't...his comment was like 2 seconds of a much larger comment. It's not like he commented on a body part. Just said..your shirt, boots, looking good. And she didn't look even the slightest bit fazed by it.

The funny thing is, we're told there's no difference between men and women, but if he had said the same thing to a man "man, looking snazzy in that suit!" nobody would have even noticed.

I can't keep up with the rules on gender and when you can/can't play the gender card.

It’s a topic that can’t be mentioned, having women reporters (started with side line reporters) who have never played the game. They were there to have more women viewers and a little eye candy. Some are knowledgeable about the game but shouldn’t that be an exception and not the norm for every game?

Reactions: jeff2001
There’s an age for the vote.

I’d like to see a MUCH higher age put in place for being allowed on social media of ANY kind. It currently is a harbinger of today’s cesspool; they can’t handle life sufficiently yet.

Reactions: 3USC1801
This^^

Ask Erin. I'll bet she took it as a compliment.

I guess there is a line that "could" border on complimentary/creepy, but I just don't see it here. Most people know when that line is crossed. Most women (including my wife) enjoy a sincere compliment.

Wait a damn minute. It was Her that asked him a horse question. Which he answered. I saw it as he was complementing her on being in Cowgirl style attire during that interview. If people see it more than that it’s them that are out of line.

There’s an age for the vote.

I’d like to see a MUCH higher age put in place for being allowed on social media of ANY kind. It currently is a harbinger of today’s cesspool; they can’t handle life sufficiently yet.

I wish. Twitter is so meaningless. A person can get on there, I presume (I don't use Twitter), and react to dozens of posts in a short time. It's not like they are passionate about what they are reacting to. It takes no effort and no thought.

Reactions: kidrobinski

Then, perhaps she should have focused solely on the interview and not gone out of her way to look like a cowgirl.

It was perfectly fine to do so and her attire fit the scene. She dressed for effect. He paid her a compliment on it.

Barbarian!

Now, if had said “giddy up” or “I want a ride….” Or “y’all checking out the stud farm later…”, then that might be comment worthy.

Social media? LOL.

We all know the average person is an imbecile. Social media platforms are simply the outlets where the dumbest among us get to wave their hand and beg for attention by basking in their ignominy.

Then, perhaps she should have focused solely on the interview and not gone out of her way to look like a cowgirl.

It was perfectly fine to do so and her attire fit the scene. She dressed for effect. He paid her a compliment on it.

Barbarian!

Now, if had said “giddy up” or “I want a ride….” Or “y’all checking out the stud farm later…”, then that might be comment worthy.

Social media? LOL.

We all know the average person is an imbecile. Social media platforms are simply the outlets where the dumbest among us get to wave their hand and beg for attention by basking in their ignominy.

Right? The moron who posted that you wouldn't make these comments in a board room overlooked the fact that Erin wasn't dressed like she was in a board room. As you said, she dressed for effect. I take Bradshaw's comment as much to mean that she dressed well for the part more than she looked pretty.

they weren"t in a board room. terrible analogy and you know it. sportscasting has always been given to banter and back and forth. many times ive heard these guys joke about one of their peers wearing an extra flashy suit. there was nothing the least bit "creepy" about what he said.
It IS THEIR WORKPLACE! Talking about a woman’s looks after she has made a business presentation is minimizing. I did not find it creepy just a clueless remark. Sorta like.....

Right? The moron who posted that you wouldn't make these comments in a board room overlooked the fact that Erin wasn't dressed like she was in a board room. As you said, she dressed for effect. I take Bradshaw's comment as much to mean that she dressed well for the part more than she looked pretty.
She was dressed for her workplace

It IS THEIR WORKPLACE! Talking about a woman’s looks after she has made a business presentation is minimizing. I did not find it creepy just a clueless remark. Sorta like

uhhhh....she was dressed like a cowgirl. and this wasn't business presentation. i can tell you, at my work, if a lady ever came into a give a presentation dressed like a cowgirl, it would get plenty of comments.

as noted above, she was obviously dressing for effect. i take his comment more to mean she looked good for the part (i.e. she did well to dress well for the setting) than anything to do with her looking pretty.

It IS THEIR WORKPLACE! Talking about a woman’s looks after she has made a business presentation is minimizing. I did not find it creepy just a clueless remark. Sorta like.....
She was dressed for her workplace
uhhhh....she was dressed like a cowgirl. and this wasn't business presentation. i can tell you, at my work, if a lady ever came into a give a presentation dressed like a cowgirl, it would get plenty of comments.

as noted above, she was obviously dressing for effect. i take his comment more to mean she looked good for the part (i.e. she did well to dress well for the setting) than anything to do with her looking pretty.
And besides, their workplace is basically a glorified sports talk-show. One of, if not THE primary function(s) of it is banter.

Yep.

Now, I did happen to see it live and the thought Bradshaw might take it one step too far and say something cringe worthy did flash into my head for a second.

Lol.

So...any of you men actually care how an actual woman in the work world feels about being complimented on her appearance while doing her job?

Not really. Any analogies to the business world or whatever aren't relevant to this context.

She dressed like a cowgirl for a country-themed interview. Bradshaw told her she did a good job dressing the part.

Would LOVE to hear your thoughts instead of old men.
There is nothing wrong with what he said. In this context or in any work setting. I get complimented quite a bit on my appearance, while at the same time being complimented on my job. Both when I worked in Athletics and now that I'm in law.

The thing no one wants to admit is that women who work in the sports world DO have to accept the fact that they will hear and see things that yes would not be appropriate in other jobs. But that's one of those things that comes with the job. Kinda like when you allow women reporters into locker rooms. Don't want to see an athlete walking around in nothing but his jock, and sometimes nothing at all, don't go into the locker room for your interview. Don't want to hear locker room talk, don't go into the locker room.

As others have said, if Erin had no problem with it, nor should anyone else. It's not anyone's job to tell me when I should/should not be offended by something said to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT