ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks for nothing Holbrook

in a short period you practically ruined USC baseball.

If we are looking for someone to blame for this fiasco, Holbrook is not the guy. Ray Tanner hired a man with no head coaching experience to take over the job of coaching the top college baseball program in the country. OJT AD hiring an OJT head coach without conducting a national search first.

Yeah, that makes sense.

If we are looking for someone to blame for this fiasco, Holbrook is not the guy. Ray Tanner hired a man with no head coaching experience to take over the job of coaching the top college baseball program in the country. OJT AD hiring an OJT head coach without conducting a national search first.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Holbrook was the obvious hire. You may not remember that...but it was a given Chad Holbrook was getting this job when Tanner stepped down. Even if Tanner weren’t AD, Holbrook was getting the job. He turned down other offers from big schools to stay here.

Plenty of reasons to be upset / critical. But the Holbrook hire was the right choice at the time. It didn’t work out.

Last edited:
Holbrook was the obvious hire. You may not remember that...but it was a given Chad Holbrook was getting this job when Tanner stepped down. Even if Tanner weren’t AD, Holbrook was getting the job.

Carolina, just some friendly advice ... Don't waste your time. They do not understand ... they do not have the ability to understand ... they do not want to understand. It does not matter what sport or what subject. It has always been that way.

Welcome to South Carolina!

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverspur02

Yeah, that makes sense.

Who needs AD experience??
-King Dixon

Holbrook was the obvious hire. You may not remember that...but it was a given Chad Holbrook was getting this job when Tanner stepped down. Even if Tanner weren’t AD, Holbrook was getting the job. He turned down other offers from big schools to stay here.

Plenty of reasons to be upset / critical. But the Holbrook hire was the right choice at the time. It didn’t work out.

The last hire wasn’t the OBVIOUS choice

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Nope. Like I said, plenty of reasons to be upset. Though it still early for Kingston, though this season, outside of beating Clemson, has been a disaster.

I look at it this way. My #1 reason for giving Frank Martin another season is the hope he can right the ship so that our AD doesn’t have to hire a basketball coach. I would not feel good about that process at all.

Reactions: trekcock

Obvious or not, Tanner had an obligation to Carolina to find the best coach available to take over the top program in the country. Regardless of friendship, a national search should have taken place.

Nope. Like I said, plenty of reasons to be upset. Though it still early for Kingston, though this season, outside of beating Clemson, has been a disaster.

I look at it this way. My #1 reason for giving Frank Martin another season is the hope he can right the ship so that our AD doesn’t have to hire a basketball coach. I would not feel good about that process at all.
Pretty bad when we're nervous about who our AD will hire next...

Obvious or not, Tanner had an obligation to Carolina to find the best coach available to take over the top program in the country. Regardless of friendship, a national search should have taken place.

I agree. IMHO, he just doesn't have the upper level contacts that a job like this, for a major university, requires.

Holbrook was the obvious hire. You may not remember that...but it was a given Chad Holbrook was getting this job when Tanner stepped down. Even if Tanner weren’t AD, Holbrook was getting the job. He turned down other offers from bi g schools to stay here.

It may well have been a given that Chad was going to get the job, but that's a far cry from him being "the obvious hire."
We knew Ray would promote his top assistant. That happens at a ton of highly successful programs when the head coach steps down. But, the list of schools who have enjoyed continued success is much shorter than those who fell off the map within a few seasons.
An "obvious" choice would have been to try to lure Corbin or O'Sullivan. Both were winning big in the SEC and made regular impacts in the post season. I'm not saying either would have left their jobs for Columbia, but those two should have been on Ray's call list.

Whether or not Holbroke was the obvious hire, Ray held on to him for two years too long. Holbroke should've been given his walking papers after missing the postseason the first time.

But that's the MO (and collective mentality) around here: We don't make a change when things are obviously in a downward spiral. We must wait until it hits rock bottom and everything is obliterated before we make a change. It's the Garnet Way.

How is it Chad when our recruiting classes in Baseball were generally in the top 10 every year?

Whether or not Holbroke was the obvious hire, Ray held on to him for two years too long. Holbroke should've been given his walking papers after missing the postseason the first time.

But that's the MO (and collective mentality) around here: We don't make a change when things are obviously in a downward spiral. We must wait until it hits rock bottom and everything is obliterated before we make a change. It's the Garnet Way.

Yep

Dixon, Deitzel, or Tanner....who is your vote for tallest midget? All are highly susceptible for OTJ performance.

How is it Chad when our recruiting classes in Baseball were generally in the top 10 every year?
Pay no attention to the idiots behind the curtains on this forum. We have the least knowledgeable posters in sports on this board.

Anyway, just wanted to give you another 'Thanks' for the Sportz TV tip. Gave you a big Shout Out a week or 3 ago. Hope you saw it. Thanks again, friend.

Did we follow up one bad hire with another bad hire. I'm not ready to get the hounds after Kingston just yet, certainly want to see what he will do next year. But it doesn't take as much time to build a baseball program as it does a football program.

Did we follow up one bad hire with another bad hire. I'm not ready to get the hounds after Kingston just yet, certainly want to see what he will do next year. But it doesn't take as much time to build a baseball program as it does a football program.
I’m sure we got a couple years of blaming injuries before he is on the hot seat. It’s how we roll

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT